Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Konar posted:

Using a bar of soap is some looney toons antics poo poo

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Just scrub yourself with lye and charcoal you sick fucks.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Olive oil and a dull sickle in the manner of the ancients

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Saalkin posted:

I use shampoo on my whole body

If I had a hairy body (e.g. Greek) I would too. Gotta keep all that body hair clean and conditioned hey! Do you put conditioner on your whole body after you rinse off the shampoo, or do you use an all-in-one?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I use your mom’s soap when I’m finished op :grin:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Do you pick up the soap after you drop it and wish you weren't alone?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Sorry, I'm not a shower.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i use dawn dish soap for everything, dishes, bathing, hand soap, cleaning out the cast iron, treating tear gas exposure. there’s really nothing it can’t do.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Konar posted:

Using a bar of soap is some looney toons antics poo poo

And I will not be using a washcloth, as is the custom of my people

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

i use dawn dish soap for everything, dishes, bathing, hand soap, cleaning out the cast iron, treating tear gas exposure. there’s really nothing it can’t do.

Gets that oil and tar off them cute penguins and baby ducks and poo poo.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

A long rear end time, if it's made out of stainless steel

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

Duck and Cover posted:

I get like 3 weeks (one person) but I see people online claiming poo poo like multiple months. What the gently caress? I know they can't be lying because on the internet you can't lie but what the gently caress? Soap dish? Check. Store outside the shower? Check. Clearly I need to learn these secret soap arts so my soaps last longer.

Things like Dial or Irish Spring will get you more use than things like Dove or Ivory, which will (generally) get you more use than homemade FancySoaps (this is not a trademark or official term). I made an oatmeal, shea and coconut butter soap (it was superfatted, like me 😎 P.S. this is an actual soap making term) that made my skin smell nicely for a long time and made me feel very clean, but a single 3-oz-ish bar lasted a max of 2 weeks when stored outside the shower so it could dry out and all that business. YMMV, but it seems like the harsher bar soaps are the soaps that last longer. So if you want the most bang for your buck, just use some Fels Naptha (please do not do this, I am being sarcastic. This is a laundry detergent soap and should be diluted before it is even used that way. It is very effective, but needs some buffers and should never be used as a skin cleanser.)

redshirt posted:

I have a near endless supply of little hotel soaps. Heck, I ain't bought soap since 2014.

But I can't answer your question OP, on account of the little hotel bars of soap.

How have hotel soaps ever made you feel clean rather than sticky/squeaky?

databasic fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 19, 2024

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I only used doctor bronners. It's a big jug and it smells like mint from hell. Technically you can use it all over your body, in the wash machine, as toothpaste, and I believe as a coffee sweetener

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I only used doctor bronners. It's a big jug and it smells like mint from hell. Technically you can use it all over your body, in the wash machine, as toothpaste, and I believe as a coffee sweetener

Castile soap is an incredible all-purpose surfactant situation. Just don’t read all the label text too closely because it gets almost as weird as my internet history.

If you’re ever looking for a change of liquid soaps, check out https://www.amazon.com/Quinns-Casti...2C161&sr=8-8%94Quinn’s Castile soap. I’ve diluted it with water and additives (hydrolyzed proteins, moisturizing extracts, emollient or skin-mimicking oils like avocado/sweet almond oil or jojoba oil respectively, and even essential oils for scent) with great success. Hydrolyzed oat, quinoa, or rice protein are pretty affordable from sites like lotioncrafter.com or wholesalesuppliesplus.com because you only use them at 1-5% concentration (and they are EXETREMELY effective for moisturizing, damage mitigation, and skin protectant (especially oat, which soothes most kinds of inflammation and prevents trans-epidermal water loss (TEWL) by forming a protective film over the skin) at those levels).

TL;DR: Make your own soap.Lasts longer OR is way better on your skin.

databasic fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 19, 2024

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

databasic posted:

Things like Dial or Irish Spring will get you more use than things like Dove or Ivory, which will (generally) get you more use than homemade FancySoaps (this is not a trademark or official term). I made an oatmeal, shea and coconut butter soap (it was superfatted, like me 😎 P.S. this is an actual soap making term) that made my skin smell nicely for a long time and made me feel very clean, but a single 3-oz-ish bar lasted a max of 2 weeks when stored outside the shower so it could dry out and all that business. YMMV, but it seems like the harsher bar soaps are the soaps that last longer. So if you want the most bang for your buck, just use some Fels Naptha (please do not do this, I am being sarcastic. This is a laundry detergent soap and should be diluted before it is even used that way. It is very effective, but needs some buffers and should never be used as a skin cleanser.)

That might be it. I'm gonna show you all a secret... a secret that you must not share.

SOAAAAAAP!!!!!!

You may think I have a problem and you'd be right, I MUST BUY MORE.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

redshirt posted:

Gets that oil and tar off them cute penguins and baby ducks and poo poo.

They should dump a bunch of Dawn in the ocean to clean it up. It’s ultra concentrated so they wouldn’t even need all that much.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

databasic posted:

Fancy hotel soap. It's got like, tangerine or something.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

databasic posted:

I made an oatmeal, shea and coconut butter soap (it was superfatted, like me 😎 P.S. this is an actual soap making term) that made my skin smell nicely for a long time and made me feel very clean, but a single 3-oz-ish bar lasted a max of 2 weeks when stored outside the shower so it could dry out and all that business.

If you want to see a really short-lasting bar, use pure peanut oil (or most other frying oils).

You’ll get maybe one week of use out of it. The shelf life is also terrible, a few months before they start oxidizing, which is why no one sells them, but they’re interesting to try if you make your own soap.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It lasts as long as it needs to last

Namaste

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

i just wait a few months then peel the entire outer layer of skin off like a snake. no soap required.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

databasic posted:

Hotel soap isn't the problem. It's the water softener :eng101:

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Platystemon posted:

If you want to see a really short-lasting bar, use pure peanut oil (or most other frying oils).

You’ll get maybe one week of use out of it. The shelf life is also terrible, a few months before they start oxidizing, which is why no one sells them, but they’re interesting to try if you make your own soap.

Nobody told me that you're supposed to use fresh oil :shrug: the first batch of soap I cooked up made you smell like spicy fried chicken.

coldpudding fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 19, 2024

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

That might be it. I'm gonna show you all a secret... a secret that you must not share.

SOAAAAAAP!!!!!!

You may think I have a problem and you'd be right, I MUST BUY MORE.

I bought that Palestinian soap recently, the one with the camel, to give as gifts. How do you rate it on the soap scale?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

I bought that Palestinian soap recently, the one with the camel, to give as gifts. How do you rate it on the soap scale?

I ordered it Sept 30, 2019 so I don't remember. My guess is it was fine. I'm not sure I like olive oil soaps like that.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

I ordered it Sept 30, 2019 so I don't remember. My guess is it was fine. I'm not sure I like olive oil soaps like that.

Sounds like it's time to lather up and give the thread a soap trip report

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

Sounds like it's time to lather up and give the thread a soap trip report

I would but I opened a Dr. Bronner's recently so it'll be like 3 weeks maybe less. Assuming I don't lose interest and just pick whatever.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 19, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

databasic posted:

Just don’t read all the label text too closely because it gets almost as weird as my internet history.

outside of the quality of the soap, the insane 10,000 word christian scientist naturalist screeds on the label are the main reason to buy Bronner's

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

I would but I opened a Dr. Bronner's recently so it'll be like 3 weeks maybe less. Assuming I don't lose interest and just pick whatever.

Yeah I lost interest and went with something else. I know very sad. Also that wasn't 3 weeks, Dr. Bronner's just doesn't last as long.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
This prompted me to pay attention to something I never previously gave a poo poo about, and I found myself genuinely surprised. I use glycerin soap from Muji, and it turns out that I'll be lucky to get twelve showers out of a bar, ten is more usual.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Loora posted:

Get a soap saver, buddy.

I like the sound of this!

I can get 2 weeks out of a bar at 2 showers per day so that is about 28 uses I guess. By then it is quite small and difficult to handle or get a lather going.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

redshirt posted:

I have a near endless supply of little hotel soaps. Heck, I ain't bought soap since 2014.

i regret to inform you that many major hotel chains have stopped giving little bars of soap and now have large bottles of soap bolted onto the wall in the bathroom (same with the shampoo, conditioner, and body wash in the shower)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

DR BRONNERS :11tea:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Earwicker posted:

i regret to inform you that many major hotel chains have stopped giving little bars of soap and now have large bottles of soap bolted onto the wall in the bathroom (same with the shampoo, conditioner, and body wash in the shower)

So go there with an empty bottle and stock up.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
I buy my soap from the local soap witch at the Market of Purveyors. It's supposedly made with goat milk.

Lasts a couple months.

Buy more soap from your local witches. Might be cursed. She did start to hand me the not on display soaps after a while.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Irish Spring can last a month+ if you keep the showerhead from dripping on it

i also use bar soap (+brush) to shave, and I get those little pucks of soap from amazon that last 6+ months a piece and smell fantastic

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Does anyone else just shove the bar of soap up their butt and like dance around just a little bit before popping it back out? I feel like it's the most effective way of cleaning

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

credburn posted:

Does anyone else just shove the bar of soap up their butt and like dance around just a little bit before popping it back out? I feel like it's the most effective way of cleaning

is there another way to clean your butt or what idgi.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Goat milk witch soap sounds cool but I’m pretty sure I have enough soap stocked up to last five years. I went a little crazy with it and started buying from other countries so I picked up Lifebuoy, Lano, Eau de Provence, I dunno what else but it’s so much

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

MrQwerty posted:

i use dove deep moisture body wash cuz it keeps me from being all ashy and the suds feel luxurious OPs

Same but bar and they don't last a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

In 4th grade this kid in my class grew cultures for the science fair, and tested how effective each brand of soap was at killing those cultures. LAVA was the worst and only killed like 60% of microbes. He had a ranking chart printed out that had LAVA dead last, well behind the others.

And I was pissed because my dad was an autobody guy, and we always had LAVA around because it’s great at getting rid of grease, paint, and oil and poo poo, and that’s what it was specifically for.

I’m still mad to this day about it. I remember it for some reason, the kid was slandering LAVA and 4th grade me wanted to deface his display over it.

What a fuckin dork too just make a volcano.