Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

WhiteHowler posted:

I didn't watch Clerks 3. Was it better or worse than Clerks 2?

Clerks 2 had a donkey-loving scene and a scene with the characters running down a long list of racial slurs for laughs.

It was the worst piece of poo poo ever released in cinemas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Captain Splendid posted:

I thought she was 36 :confused:
Nah the character was deffo underage, part of the films resolution was a villain having slept with her and so going to jail.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I haven't watched Clerks 3 or the second Jay and Silent Bob yet, but while I've definitely outgrown Kevin Smiths movies, I do admire his honesty.

When his career was on the up he made a big deal about ending that universe, then when his career stalled he didn't sit about giving bitter interviews but just went oh well then I guess I'll give people more of what they want from me.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I feel like he partly keeps doing this stuff so that Jason Mewes doesn't die.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Every Kevin Smith movie ages like pure poo poo. Five years after his movies are released everyone pretends they weren't creaming their shorts tripping over themselves to get movie tickets at the time.

Also: Kevin Smith needs to find another fuckin anecdote. Any time I've ever heard him speak on a podcast he tells the same fuckin story about the robot spider.

credburn fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 19, 2024

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
Kevin Smith’s blog account of trying to keep Mewes off of heroin is actually kind of endearing, but his last couple movies have basically degenerated into “remember that time I made a movie about _________”

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

I thought Mall Rats was funny, but the part with the 15-year-old sexologist was creepy in hindsight.

loving lmao that the conservatives of the 90s won so thoroughly that a bit satirizing the moral panic of the era -- omg the kids are having sex -- now reads as pedo-adjacent

kevin smith is the least subtle writer of our era and still people take it at face value, jesus christ

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Fatman on Batman was a good podcast. He told Diedrich Bader that Batman is really kinda WASPy and Bader had an epiphany.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Klyith posted:

loving lmao that the conservatives of the 90s won so thoroughly that a bit satirizing the moral panic of the era -- omg the kids are having sex -- now reads as pedo-adjacent

kevin smith is the least subtle writer of our era and still people take it at face value, jesus christ

uhh yeah dude she was 15 and ben affleck was in his mid 20s

this is a seriously creepy post

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pencilhands posted:

uhh yeah dude she was 15 and ben affleck was in his mid 20s

this is a seriously creepy post

and the guy gets sent to prison, the movie obviously doesn't approve of statutory rape!

you are far too dumb to pull off the entrapment troll game, don't even try

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
get em pencilhans

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I don't like his daughter starring in his movies, that kind of nepotism has no place in Hollywood!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Holy poo poo. he actually named his daughter harley quinn smith? what a loving idiot lmao

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

WhiteHowler posted:

I didn't watch Clerks 3. Was it better or worse than Clerks 2?

Clerks 2 had a donkey-loving scene and a scene with the characters running down a long list of racial slurs for laughs.

it also has grandma can i ask you though. dont get me wrong 3/4 of clerks 2 is cringe / shouldnt of been made but the other 1/4 is funny af. pillowpants, making the lotr fan puke, grandma, jason mewes dancing to wild horses.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
jay and silent bob need a paycheck pt 3

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

Klyith posted:

Klyith posted:

and the guy gets sent to prison, the movie obviously doesn't approve of statutory rape!

Touche. To be fair, though, Ben Affleck's character gets sent to prison after the "good guys" broadcast a sex tape starring him and the underage character to everyone in the mall.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
clerks 3 was bafflingly incompetent. just loving terribly made on every technical level, the editing and framing especially. remember all those witty dialog scenes in clerks 1 that mostly played out in masters and had comedic timing? what if instead we cut on every line between the master and the b camera positioned at a lovely 45 degree angle? also painfully unfunny of course, but i sort of expected that going in

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

I feel like he partly keeps doing this stuff so that Jason Mewes doesn't die.

Jason Mewes seems pretty chill and cool so I guess I'll take the trade of more lovely Kevin Smith movies to keep him alive.

Though I still do enjoy saying that Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

Touche. To be fair, though, Ben Affleck's character gets sent to prison after the "good guys" broadcast a sex tape starring him and the underage character to everyone in the mall.

Everyone who saw it also was subsequently arrested.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Codependent Poster posted:

Jason Mewes seems pretty chill and cool so I guess I'll take the trade of more lovely Kevin Smith movies to keep him alive

Even tho it's because of all the heroin? No judgment, get help before you end up like Dave Brockie.

I thought it was funny when he put the cup on his boner.

I'm no high class broad, I laugh at stupid stoner movies

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

credburn posted:

Five years after his movies are released everyone pretends they weren't creaming their shorts tripping over themselves to get movie tickets at the time.

Lol I feel like that's a smaller amount of people than you think

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Creaming thier jorts, got front row seats

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

credburn posted:

Every Kevin Smith movie ages like pure poo poo. Five years after his movies are released everyone pretends they weren't creaming their shorts tripping over themselves to get movie tickets at the time.

Also: Kevin Smith needs to find another fuckin anecdote. Any time I've ever heard him speak on a podcast he tells the same fuckin story about the robot spider.

i was definatly creaming my jorts to watch the first jay and silent bob movie. they had to ask me and my friend to chill because we were laughing to much and having to much fun. i found the 2nd one fun to and im sure ill have some fun watching the third one im easily entertained by jason mewes antics

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

he really needs to use it more often

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
pee pee kevin smith

poo poo kevin smith

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Can someone summarize Chasing Amy? Is it really about a straight dude pursuing a lesbian and the woman actually falling in love with the guy?

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Yes.

That's exactly how I think of that movie

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Never watched a single Kevin Smith movie all the way through, but the new season of his He-Man show drops next week on Netflix and it looks rad as poo poo so I'm gonna watch that instead of Jay and Silent Bob Cash Jason Mews' Welfare Check or whatever.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Tusk doesn't get enough love. I like lovely horror movies so its right up alley.

Irl walrus are scary enough and now Justin Long is one?

Terrifying

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
lol the premise of Tusk is so loving dumb and the prosthetics are so awesome, what an awesomely bad movie

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Chasing Amy led me to believe fisting was a thing most women had heard of and were into and wouldn't be horrified when I brought it up.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
jay and silent bob are once again asking for your support

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Klyith posted:

?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

lol the premise of Tusk is so loving dumb and the prosthetics are so awesome, what an awesomely bad movie

When I was at uni I heard a girl telling her friend about a movie she heard about called Tusk, and relayed the entire story to her friend, that she had read on Wikipedia but was too afraid to actually watch. I was like "Just watch it, I guarantee it is dumber and sillier than what you're imagining. You won't get freaked out."

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

How long did the pepper spray take to rinse out?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Animal-Mother posted:

Fatman on Batman was a good podcast. He told Diedrich Bader that Batman is really kinda WASPy and Bader had an epiphany.

I liked the early episodes when he interviewed Adam West & he mentioned at the time the DVD rights for the 60s show still weren’t nailed down so he had taken the initiative to record commentaries on his own, or having Kevin Conroy on as I learned he’s a well trained actor. Drifted away when Dark Knight Rises came out & he was losing his mind about every frame as it was a bit much, checked & it’s over 400 episodes now, many over 3 hours & he’s screaming about Loki?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Codependent Poster posted:

Jason Mewes seems pretty chill and cool so I guess I'll take the trade of more lovely Kevin Smith movies to keep him alive.

Though I still do enjoy saying that Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms.

My ex and I met him at a con and she wanted to get a picture (i.e., wait in the line and pay for a pic) so he proceeded to grab my phone and take like a dozen selfies of the three of us for the cost of a single photo which I don't even think was all that much (like $25?)

Anyway that's my "Jason Mewes is pretty cool" story

A Strange Aeon posted:

Can someone summarize Chasing Amy? Is it really about a straight dude pursuing a lesbian and the woman actually falling in love with the guy?

By Kevin Smith's own admission, it's how he tried to square off thinking he was an Open-Minded Liberal Man of the 90s yet was unable to deal with the fact that when he dated Joey Lauren Adams he got shook that she was more sexually experienced than he was, so he ended up breaking up with her.

Then he decided to make a movie based on his feelings of that experience starring her.

also it was the 90s so apparently nobody knew about bisexuality

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 19, 2024

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ElectricSheep posted:

My ex and I met him at a con and she wanted to get a picture (i.e., wait in the line and pay for a pic) so he proceeded to grab my phone and take like a dozen selfies of the three of us for the cost of a single photo which I don't even think was all that much (like $25?)

Anyway that's my "Jason Mewes is pretty cool" story

By Kevin Smith's own admission, it's how he tried to square off thinking he was an Open-Minded Liberal Man of the 90s yet was unable to deal with the fact that when he dated Joey Lauren Adams he got shook that she was more sexually experienced than he was, so he ended up breaking up with her.

Then he decided to make a movie based on his feelings of that experience starring her.

also it was the 90s so apparently nobody knew about bisexuality

Yeah, the core theme of Chasing Amy isn't about sexuality at all, it's about getting over your hang-ups and insecurities, and learning not to project them onto another person (especially a partner).

Apparently, it's a controversial film among the LGBTQ+ community. It does confront homophobia (admittedly, in a ham-fisted way) and promotes that you don't have to restrict yourself to a specific label. The film's intended message on sexuality is "you can be in love with a person regardless of what's in their pants".

However, it's very easy to read the message as "all any lesbian needs is a good man to 'fix' them". A more experienced writer probably would have conveyed this better, but I re-watched it a few months ago and most of it still holds up okay for a 90's film with LGBTQ+ themes.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 19, 2024

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I like Kevin Smith, I like Jason Mewes, I'll watch another Jay and Silent Bob movie.

Jay and Silent Bob Get Old was a great podcast.

I can respect Smith got to he point where he realized he could make whatever dumbass movie he wanted, so he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

We should all be so lucky to be able to churn out trash and still make a couple bucks