Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Big rear end On Fire posted:

I will always hold a little place in my heart for Chili's because I traveled for work for a few years, often to small cities. When you have nothing to do, in a place you don't know where there's sometimes only chains and you have a per diem, going out to dinner was the entertainment and Chili's was some top tier crap. The best chain crap was Cheesecake Factory. That was basically a score for a small city. If the city was big enough for one of those you could probably do some research and find a local place that was better but sometimes you just want get something you know. Applebees was definitely a step down from Chili's but it can get more grim from there.

I traveled alot too, but made a point to pretty much only go to Thai places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Gatts posted:

Tilted Kilt is close to a breastaurant so it makes sense for that kind of thing

Me and a buddy went there years ago and the waitress sat with us for half the meal

It was strange from a restaurant perspective but made sense from a breastaurant perspective

I didn't care for it

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Across from us another server was sitting with a large old man and, well,

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I had a project where the client insisted on traveling to NYC to be on site at our office for a portion of the work. It was 100 percent clearly a case of them wanting an all expenses paid trip to NYC.

Every night one of them would eat at applebees in times square or just go to the restaurant in the hotel. He refused to eat anything else.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

Me and a buddy went there years ago and the waitress sat with us for half the meal

It was strange from a restaurant perspective but made sense from a breastaurant perspective

I didn't care for it

In Texas I had gone to Redneck Heaven where they had paint on days for the waitresses, for a person's birthday they whip them with belts, say stuff like "You can sit anywhere you like except my face is taken!" twerk in your face while you wait for food, and write stuff like "Take me home and eat me!" on the boxes.

It was cool.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

30 posted:

24 years ago I visited the University of Denver to consider it as a safety school, I had the worst steak of my life and the waitress refused to serve me a glass of Merlot for the first and last time in my entire life, including when I was like 12.

Thank god you clarified thay university of denver was your safety school.

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 20, 2024

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

In my early 20s there was a nightclub that had an applebees basically 30 seconds drive from it.

We knew a managing bartender at the AB who was on his way out and was going to do CAD design for BorgWarner or some other parts manufacturer. We would order well whiskys and hed pour triple johnny walker blacks in tall glasses. Sometimes wed have some fries. Dude did not GAF about his job and hooked us up constantly.

Then wed go to the club and dance until close, then go rip bongs with girls we met at the club. Truly the good old days.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
According to the internet, negging a potential romantic partner can win them over. I presume inviting a date to Applebee’s is a part of the negging process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

redshirt posted:

I traveled alot too, but made a point to pretty much only go to Thai places.

Crazy thing about that - that's kind of like going to a big chain and the chain was started by the Thai government.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/paxadz/the-surprising-reason-that-there-are-so-many-thai-restaurants-in-america

quote:

Using a tactic now known as gastrodiplomacy or culinary diplomacy, the government of Thailand has intentionally bolstered the presence of Thai cuisine outside of Thailand to increase its export and tourism revenues, as well as its prominence on the cultural and diplomatic stages. In 2001, the Thai government established the Global Thai Restaurant Company, Ltd., in an effort to establish at least 3,000 Thai restaurants worldwide. At the time, Thai deputy commerce minister Goanpot Asvinvichit told the Wall Street Journal that the government hoped the chain would be “like the McDonald’s of Thai food.” Apparently, the government had been training chefs at its culinary training facilities to send abroad for the previous decade, but this project formalized and enhanced these efforts significantly.

The McDonald’s of Thai food never quite materialized as a government-operated megachain, but the broader goal of a government-supported increase in the number of Thai restaurants abroad has. The Thai government has continued earmarking funds for the global proliferation of galangal root and fish sauce, and it’s paid off.