Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
aoty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

I really resent the words you're trying to put in my mouth here.

Me, as a gay man, wanting greater representation on screen of gay couples being allowed to be openly intimate and affectionate towards each other is not at all a comparable situation. Kindly knock it off.
im just talking about how i feel as an also gay person, chill. it just felt to me like it was treated the same as a lot of straight couples in mecha anime

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

https://twitter.com/foldermanj/status/1773389400631853204

ahhhh thats a really cool detail they did for smith post revival

also heres a very cute finale artwork :)
https://twitter.com/sangsilnoh/status/1773375294717493498

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
oh I forgot to mention Isami being able to hear the theme song playing and being confused was some good poo poo. clearly the director knows what's up

Endorph posted:

its directed by masami obari, who was a mecha designer, animation director, and key animator for some of the brave series. he was most involved with fighbird, but he worked on all of them besides goldran and dagwon.

yup this makes sense

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Booky posted:

https://twitter.com/foldermanj/status/1773389400631853204

ahhhh thats a really cool detail they did for smith post revival

also heres a very cute finale artwork :)
https://twitter.com/sangsilnoh/status/1773375294717493498

Jesus christ I want those chibi Bravern and Superbia figures

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like the character designer's insistence on posing the girls as gayly as possible

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Not a single heterosexual in sight.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Pretty good ending. Could have been better (and gayer.) Isami constantly interrupting the final boss was a good bit.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
going from Bravern who always believed in him hollering Isami's name to the whole cast doing it was :kiss:

Annointed posted:

wow lulu erasure

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That was fun and a great way to end the season. I'll miss Bravern.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Fantastic finale, no notes.

YES bread posted:

wow lulu erasure

There's also that woman that (unfortunately for her) had a crush on Isami. There's no chance in hell he'll ever return her feelings, rip.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Endorph posted:

im just talking about how i feel as an also gay person, chill. it just felt to me like it was treated the same as a lot of straight couples in mecha anime

A lot of shows with straight couples who don't explicitly and physically express their love also have people questioning why they didn't do so too.

Annointed posted:

Isn't the doctor straight? Or was that her in the hotel that is part of a couple who thinks she hears Smith and Lulu having sex in the second or third episode? I thought it was her at least, but then again, it was a generic red-head design with no clothing or anything to differentiate her, so maybe it was just a random lady.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I had the biggest, dumbest grin on my face that whole fight.

And then I couldn't help but think of how fun that would be when it makes it to a real SRW.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I will forgive Isami for cowardly sniveling for way too long because in the end everyone has the ability to burn bravely, to find courage in themselves to beat all odds no matter how hard things are!

BANG

BRAVE

BRAVERN!!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Saoshyant posted:

I will forgive Isami for cowardly sniveling for way too long because in the end everyone has the ability to burn bravely, to find courage in themselves to beat all odds no matter how hard things are!

BANG

BRAVE

BRAVERN!!

honestly i really like the characterization for isami in that hes kind of a scaredy cat and wuss when the chips go down and poo poo gets Real, its a really cool bit!!

also ive been wondering how they're gonna do this in a real SRW when the robots explode at the end of the show (rip superbia)... do they just reshuffle that to the end of the game??

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Booky posted:

honestly i really like the characterization for isami in that hes kind of a scaredy cat and wuss when the chips go down and poo poo gets Real, its a really cool bit!!

also ive been wondering how they're gonna do this in a real SRW when the robots explode at the end of the show (rip superbia)... do they just reshuffle that to the end of the game??

They've technobabbled their way around stuff like that before.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Hunter Noventa posted:

They've technobabbled their way around stuff like that before.

yeah they could just go uhhh there was so much good vibes/bravery/something else they didn't blow up or revived or w/e

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The dude last episode got decapitated and survived long enough to watch a sick rear end fight scene, I think they can play around with how mortality works. Or hell just pop a tower up to 3D print another mecha

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There's literal time travel in this setting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you could just move bravern and superbia actually fading away to the epilogue of said SRW game

but yeah my only real complaint with this show is that i wish the sidecast got more screentime because they all feel like fun characters but barely got any lines

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Endorph posted:

you could just move bravern and superbia actually fading away to the epilogue of said SRW game

but yeah my only real complaint with this show is that i wish the sidecast got more screentime because they all feel like fun characters but barely got any lines

yea that feels like the easiest way to pull it off

its kind of a similar Thing that g witch had imo, really neat supporting cast and world, and u don't really see too much of it or get too much on the supporting chars vs the main chars who get Tons

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not enough dicks rubbing as far as I'm concerned. :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd like more of the supporting cast but I don't feel that they were underutilized like I do with WFM's cast. The tight focus on the leads and the supporting cast being fairly flat characters worked well for the runtime the show was given. Sherry, Hibiki, Miyu, Hal, etc are all very fun in their bit parts and that's all they really needed to be.

But I would also like to see more TS battles against the deathdrive grunt machines.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Endorph posted:

That's most likely how it'll go, yeah. Or they'll have a way to let you unlock smith and keep bravern. My only disappointment with this finale is Superbia didn't get to come back as a human, man's just gone.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I bet the little necklace thing is actually superbia's essence or something. I've seen gwitch, I know how this works

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

I really want a sidestory manga of Shelly and Akira cause I just know they did some cool stuff

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

I think this wouldn't have been an issue if thisnhad been two cours

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

The dude last episode got decapitated and survived long enough to watch a sick rear end fight scene, I think they can play around with how mortality works. Or hell just pop a tower up to 3D print another mecha

Bravern's magic 3D printer is still just there on the aircraft carrier after all. And when you want Superbia back too you just drop Lulu's necklace in there. Easy setup for Season 2 or whatever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How did the necklace work, exactly? It just looked like it glowed for a bit and then she powered up Superbia's corpse to pilot it long enough to fusion.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Booky posted:

but they also don't actually show the marriage at all or kiss either??? they show rings and make an in laws joke and its also blatantly obvious but there was also, no actual kissing there

and also some bandai ceo got so terrified of it they tried desperately backpedaling like 4 months later wrt a censored VA interview, to the confusion of basically everyone (ah endorph beat me again!!)

Suletta and Miorine had more emotional and physical contact with one another than anyone else in the show, including Suletta's parents.

Nobody did much of anything romantically in general in the show on account of all the war criming and whatnot happening.

At least the GWitch staff put out that "unofficial" doujin at comiket afterwards that was basically "gently caress that dude, they're married".

Fangz posted:

There's literal time travel in this setting.

I really hope the poster that recently came in to this thread like "I'm going to watch this show!" noped the gently caress out of here until they finish watching the show, because goddamn in retrospect there was some wild poo poo that happened in Bravern.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 29, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoxG99KQuH8

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

honestly i think this show benefited a lot from the brisk pacing of being a single cour and 2+ cours might not have worked as well.

an extra episode to have a goofy adventure with the side crew would have been neat though

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Southern Cassowary posted:

honestly i think this show benefited a lot from the brisk pacing of being a single cour and 2+ cours might not have worked as well.

an extra episode to have a goofy adventure with the side crew would have been neat though

A singular, even short, post-finale epilogue episode where everyone's just hanging out would be nice.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Nuebot posted:

A singular, even short, post-finale epilogue episode where everyone's just hanging out would be nice.

Look, we just need a shot of them all hanging out in Hawaii with the girls from Lycoris Recoil.

The wink, wink note that people outside of Japan may miss out on is that apparently many Japanese LGBT couples in the last decade have started to go to Hawaii and get married there, while they wait around for their fossilized government to catch up to modernity.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Arc Hammer posted:

How did the necklace work, exactly? It just looked like it glowed for a bit and then she powered up Superbia's corpse to pilot it long enough to fusion.

Bravery

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Southern Cassowary posted:

The quick pacing does benefit the show's conceit that it is both a meta commentary on Super Robot conventions while also wholeheartedly embracing them. It's a send up and a celebration. It's full of characters aware of what a Super Robot show is supposed to be like so they act accordingly and it comes across like they're doing a speed run to get to the best bits of those shows, which in turn amplifies the comedy.

https://twitter.com/G1_BARI/status/1773681270200979639?t=xyXy2Wvrv1j1e1I96djPmw&s=19

Isami yells at your junk while Bravern protects it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 29, 2024

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

"Stairs?"

*takes off pants*

"I'm protected" :colbert:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Bless this show that aimed to be two things, gay and robots, and never stopped escalating both right to the end.

The karaoke was a beautiful final gift to us all.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm okay with it stopping where it did as it did. As I've read and watched more tales, or maybe just plain aged, I've come to respect writers who have a story to tell, tell it, and get out. There are plenty of examples across all media of not doing that and I strongly prefer the narratives where the writers know when the end of the world will be and they act like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/curemaidcafe/status/1773629165872255201?s=20

Another original illustration for the cafe