Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

Has anyone made a 3DS emulator yet? I don't know if there's been anything before that can theoretically emulate having 2 screens AND the 3D effect on the top screen!

Boy do I have good news for you https://sidequestvr.com/app/29066/citravr-beta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

blunt posted:

The thing that Vision Pro has going for it over Quest 3 is graphics/screen fidelity, but "graphics not being good enough" isn't the reason people give up on VR headsets when the novelty wears off. It's weight, mental fatigue and isolation, which are problems the AVP doesn't solve.

I actually disagree with this, overall the hardware is really good, but the software is just not good enough. A few things appeal to a few niches, but by and large most things in VR is just not compelling enough vs a regular flatscreen experience, that even if the hardware was magic and virtually unnoticeable, if it's not worth moving your head and arms around for people would just use the flatscreen stuff.

It's not a problem that's going to get solved with new hardware, it needs to be in people understanding the medium and making things that are an actual match for its strengths vs trying to replicate flatscreen experiences on them, which is most of what people seem to be trying now

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

for me it's a software and hardware issue. right now the hardware is constrained to a bulky, heavy headset with an external power supply, but those things will improve. the software does need to present a more compelling use case with more thoughtful approaches to how it disrupts my existing tech.

i do like the idea of what apple is trying to sell, btw. right now, i have a google nest screen near my kitchen sink/food prep area, one on my bedside stand, a desk monitor for my wfh setup, and a tv. plus i look at my phone all the time anyway regardless of which other screen i'm already looking at or when i'm on the toilet or whatever. if one headset could replace all of those (forget about having anyone over or living with anyone else) and be moveable/dynamic/etc, then that's a compelling use case.

i mean people are basically carrying a floating screen in their hand that distracts them from what they're actually looking at all the time anyway, might as well bring that screen in front of their eyeballs and show the "real" world behind it as well.

i'm not smart enough to know what to do with any of that stuff other than "hey screens wherever you want!" except maybe interactive experiences like getting to "visit" the eiffel tower or "go" to mars or whatever. i've always wished that, in my lifetime, space tourism would be accessible enough to potentially see the earth from space. turns out it'll probably be at least decently realistic enough through some VR headset type experience in lieu of the real thing in the next ~30 years so i can experience it as an old man.

I definitely see it as a dev kit for what could come in the future, and I imagine there's a lot of iteration to be done around the whole UI problems, but so much of it is counter productive. Like right now just to make sure I'm not forgetting any aspect I'm writing this post up in a Vision Pro, and already there have been several really frustrating things that feel like they weren't thoughtfully approached at all. You have to use a keyboard to type, the eye tracking input is just not sufficient for text, but also you need some kind of mouse (I got their stupid touchpad since they wouldn't let it work with mice, lol), becuase the eye tracking is not sufficient for clicking, either (at the top I couldn't click on User Control Panel reliably, I have to actually look slightly underneath it in order to get it to click on the right spot, this is with my relatively weak prescription lenses and going through calibration multiple times).

Then you select the text entry field, and the text input box shows up, even though I have a keyboard connected and just used it to type in the URL, so now I have to look past it to see my keyboard. Resist the urge to close that floating text input box, because if you do the screen loses the context that it was the main entry field. And so on. All these frustrations (and there are more - if I'm using the mouse and I look at a separate screen, the mouse jumps there, even if I hadn't tried to move it over, so it's actually dangerous to look around because you'll lose context. If you want to pin a window somehwere, you can't reangle it in any way, so to put it on a wall or something you have to stand in the right spot to put it flat, otherwise you can only place it in a shell around you. You can't reposition windows by grabbing them, you only have the pinch gesture, but if the window is close enough you feel induced to still reach for that little tab because it's close, but there's some unknown behavior that will de-select the tab even if you're looking directly at it if your fingers get to close, sometimes, but not all the time. I could go on) just make me think ok, well, maybe the problem is I'm just using it standalone.

Well - I'm trying to use it standalone because it's pretty powerful hardware - this experience should be good. But if I was just using a connected macbook or something, I could do all my normal computer stuff there. But if I'm just trying to do my normal computer stuff - why am I bothering with this thing on my head?

I'm not worried because I think it's impossible to iterate from here to there, I'm worried because it feels like a lot of these issues stem from a fundamental disconnect between what I think this kind of thing is good for and what they're hoping it'll be good for, and if they just focus on what they think will be good, they're not going to pay attention to what the medium is *actually* good for. Like, why aren't they leaning into the AR-ness? Why can't I grab some windows and keep them on my desk? I want to run my music, but I don't want it front and center all the time or select it or whatever, but I do want it at hand. If I could grab it off my desk and mess with it then put it back, that'd be cool. The pinch gesture works great sometimes - when I don't want to move my hand all the way to where my mouse is, being able to just pinch sometimes and avoid that back and forth would be useful, but using it as a primary input all the time just isn't good and doesn't feel good. The virtual environments they chose are super weird - if I'm at my desk, it feels loving strange to be in the middle of an empty field. I feel like a bear is going to come out of the woods. I want to work in a space that makes me feel safe, and they all just make me exposed.

It feels like there's no real cohesive vision beyond "we think AR glasses will be a huge thing in the future, so let's try to make something now to capture that market early." I didn't expect to like it, so I'm sure there's bias there, but I also haven't really been that pleasantly surprised about any of it, either.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Koramei posted:

Dang that's kind of a hilarious but valid criticism, I would have thought that's something someone might pick up on when they were pitching locations. Maybe they just went for immediate wow factor? I always set my Quest home to the coziest option (quest 1's domes); if you want it to be an extension of your life, where that 'takes place' is actually super important.

Yeah, it's a case where I think they wanted to have whatever aesthetic of those spaces when videos and stuff were shared about it, rather than focus on the experience the person has actually being there. Compare to this virtual environment from Virtual Desktop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFCqyhtx3yo

This space loving rules. It's so cool and feels so nice and pleasant to be in. It's the kind of place I would much rather prefer to be at than my IRL office