Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Have you used any AR media viewing /virtual monitor glasses like the Nreal or Rokid ones? That’s what these seem closer to than VR dedicated headsets like the Quest. Beyond the price it seems like Apple has solved the current AR glasses problem of being too low res and having lovely software, but the form factor seems dramatically worse for being heavy rear end goggles instead of glasses.

Basically any usage except rare very immersive games I want less visual coverage and the world around me being easily accessible. Even for most vr games like Beat Saber I’d rather not be stuck in my own black void. Better to have some awareness of the world around me much less watching movies, reading web, or playing flat games where I want to be able to interact with my wife. High res monitors that aren’t tethered to a desk is very cool but not at the cost of being strapped inside an awkwardly heavy helmet.

I’d so much rather have a tethered battery/processing unit I could stick in my pocket than heavy poo poo strapped to my head.

I’ll be curious how many they sell because I thought this was more like an expensive developer preview than a big release but it seems to be getting plenty of marketing so I guess this is a big push?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah there is a major psychological difference between putting on AR glasses and donning the nerd helmet. I recently got the bobovr strap for the Q3 and it plus the Q3 improvements is the most comfortable vr I’ve ever experienced. Despite that I don’t want to chill with it on. Even with pass through I can’t chill with my wife on the couch with it on. I’m playing more VR games than I have in years though.

Despite being way lower resolution my Nreal glasses work far better for chilling and acting as a big floating display. If they had higher resolution and AR processing they’d be great.

It still feels weird how much effort and hardware of the avp is focused on being VR glasses when it doesn’t seem like Apple is terribly interested in VR experiences. If they are for interacting with floating computer windows they should really be glasses. If Nreal can get it mostly working in the glasses form factor for $300 presumably someone could perfect it for < $3000