Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I bought one internationally; sent it to a US-based family member who's visiting me in a few weeks and will drop it off.

Naturally skimped on apple care and will have no way to do a return if there's an issue so if you're seeking some schadenfreud you might find it here in the next few months.

Been getting increasingly excited from the previews though. Reading the Verge's review their takeaway seemed to be that a lot of what it's promising are potential dead-ends, but I've been getting the opposite impression really; that nearly everything people are complaining about are just related to it being what's essentially a gen 0 device. Weight, tracking, software clunkiness and missing integration; even the eye-pinch selection being slightly awkward sounds like something that can be smoothed way out with software updates. The tech behind personas (3D object scanning) has also had some bonkers progress in literally the past 3-6 months that can't have made it into release yet and I think will feel very, very different a couple of years down the line despite everyone trashing it now.
Guess I'll see when I actually try it tho. Am definitely biased since I want to dev for this so am very much in favor of it catching on.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Lemming posted:

The virtual environments they chose are super weird - if I'm at my desk, it feels loving strange to be in the middle of an empty field. I feel like a bear is going to come out of the woods. I want to work in a space that makes me feel safe, and they all just make me exposed.

Dang that's kind of a hilarious but valid criticism, I would have thought that's something someone might pick up on when they were pitching locations. Maybe they just went for immediate wow factor? I always set my Quest home to the coziest option (quest 1's domes); if you want it to be an extension of your life, where that 'takes place' is actually super important.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It can't be long now until we get full body tracking just from the cameras. Quest already does something like your whole torso and can procedurally add legs.

Once personas catch up at least, but I think that'll happen quicker than people expect.