Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
https://www.apple.com/apple-vision-pro/

Apple Vision Pro went on presale today with a release date of February 2, 2 weeks from today. While the thing is obviously too expensive and frankly a bit underwhelming from the videos and demos I’ve seen, I’m still kind of interested in hearing people’s thoughts on it once it gets out in the open. I don’t think any company has really cracked VR/AR yet, but this definitely looks like the closest so far.

Anyone here with more money than sense put down the $3.5k for a pre-order today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Sure, but when is that gonna be? Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like they plan on putting out a new Vision Pro every year like the iphone.

The WSJ video was cool when the lady was cooking with it on. Sure it's heavy and uncomfortable now, but presumably it won't always be. And having individual timers hovering over each pot and then Safari open to the recipe hovering over the cutting board was some future poo poo. Have they said how far you can walk away and have windows stay where they are? Seems like it'd be a huge pain if you painstakingly placed 5 different windows where you wanted them to be in 3D space and then they all disappeared because you had to walk into the next room.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Roadie posted:

200K preorders, give or take,

I don’t know if we’ll ever get this information, but I’m very curious to hear how many of these Day 1 sales end up getting returned within the 14-day return window. I could see a lot of people “buying” one to try it out for a week and then returning it. Hell, of the two people in this thread that have bought it, one of them is already saying they plan to do this.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Has anyone made a 3DS emulator yet? I don't know if there's been anything before that can theoretically emulate having 2 screens AND the 3D effect on the top screen!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
This weekend I drove down to the city to check out a couple neighborhoods I'm thinking of moving to. It made me think - being able to plot out a route in Apple Maps and then take a "virtual drive" on that route in Apple Vision Pro using the Apple Maps street view images - maybe this doesn't count as a "killer app" but it does sound pretty drat cool.

I wonder if they are working on this and that's why they don't have a VisionPro-specific Maps app yet (I've seen in reviews that the Maps app in AVP is just a floating version of the iPad app - there's nothing special or Vision-y about it right now)