Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Maudib Arakkis posted:

I was an early iPad adaptor but instead of copping the Vision Pro I’ll first be putting the same 3K towards Apple stock. This will 100% be a game changer just like the iPhone or iPad. I have been through this cycle enough to know you should never doubt Apple. The Vision Pro changes everything. Again.

I got a pre-order in, and this is where I am mentally. VR was pretty much treated as a joke or an afterthought, if you will. But now, since Apple is getting into the scene, many companies have to sit up straight and potentially bend their knees so they don't get left out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I said come in! posted:

Reading the reviews, this thing sounds really cool! but still needs a few generations to work out any issues.

I think by 3rd generation, this will be the world's leading VR headset around $500.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

OldSenileGuy posted:

Sure, but when is that gonna be? Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like they plan on putting out a new Vision Pro every year like the iphone.

The WSJ video was cool when the lady was cooking with it on. Sure it's heavy and uncomfortable now, but presumably it won't always be. And having individual timers hovering over each pot and then Safari open to the recipe hovering over the cutting board was some future poo poo. Have they said how far you can walk away and have windows stay where they are? Seems like it'd be a huge pain if you painstakingly placed 5 different windows where you wanted them to be in 3D space and then they all disappeared because you had to walk into the next room.

I wanna say 2.5 years per generation. 3 being generous?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Vegetable posted:

Imo the ideal version of computer glasses on your face was Google Glass. They had it right the first time. Basic rear end glasses that show you useful information as you walk around. No one really wants to wear a movie theater on your head.

Way ahead of its time.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Which one of you nerds is going to cop to buying one of these?

Picking mine up tonight.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I said come in! posted:

Excited for your impressions! I kinda wish I could get one, but I can't afford it.

First immediate impressions: This thing is heavy as hell.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Unboxed the headset and dove in for a little while. This thing is massively heavy and limiting, considering there needs to be a cable present for the battery pack. Did the initial setup, andddd

I'm whelmed. I see the vision (hehe) of what Apple is trying to do here and make the world come to you while you wear this thing. But everything seems so wonky. I should've expected that since this is a first-generation product. But for $3500, I expected this to be a more smooth ride. Making my persona was excellent, but what will I use it for? Much of the entertainment promised in the initial Apple Vision Pro conference still needs to arrive, and I'm not sure how patient everyone else will be. It's not Ready Player One cool yet. It can get there, but for now, I will wait. I may return this thing.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Rageaholic posted:

Nice to hear thoughts from someone who didn't get one for free from Apple. That's a shame, but yeah, it is a first-gen thing after all. Still, seems like the experience should be smoother considering it's a $3,500 piece of tech.

It's amazing for media consumption. The ability to focus on three or more things at once. But after that, it starts to lack so hard.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I said come in! posted:

Have you tried yet just using it with your Macbook (if you have one) and doing just work or casual browsing / use with a keyboard and mouse?

I tested out the mirroring with my MacBook Pro. It can definitely replace my MacBook, if not the fact that my neck was becoming super stiff. I get Apple wanted to cram as much hardware and tech into this headset as they could, but this headset is going to kill some peoples necks. I am not exaggerating that.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Three Olives posted:

I'm curious if either of you happen to own a Meta Quest 2/3.

I'm actually crazy enough to buy an Apple Vision, but my experience with my Meta Quest is, this is amazing and then an hour later, I'm bored. The resolution, field of view, pass-through, etc are all components of that but the reason I didn't jump on the Apple Vision was a feeling that Apple solved a lot of my usage gripes with the Meta Quest 2 but all the intangibles are still there, I'm in a nice comfortably sized house with a big TV and a multi-monitor home office, I don't care to be stuck behind goggles.

Also, it feels like a lot of the experience is already there, on a Friday night you will find my husband and me on the den sofa with our 65" TV with surround sound with our iPhones out half watching a dumb TV show and mostly playing on our iPads in a dark room, how is the Apple Vision an appreciably better experience for that? It seems worse.

I dunno, maybe if I had different living circumstances I would feel differently. Maybe it is because I have solved a lot of these problems that the Vision is trying to fix with just, putting screens where I want screens.

This is where I’m at and I think I’ll return my headset tomorrow. It’s the aura of “OMG! New Apple product! Innovation!” That quickly fades to, “$3500…for this?”

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

SCheeseman posted:

So what's the deal with those store demos? Are there any prerequisites?

None. Sign up through the app or go down and sign up for one. They’ll fit your face and show you a few default showings.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/russellmomentum/status/1753572385574531116?s=46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I can't wait to see what games will release on this. Imagine we get The Oasis :eyepop: