Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I want to be really fair to Apple and I'm aware that this is seeding the market and development activities, so I totally get that they need something out there. But having owned a number of VR headsets, they all have a shelf life imposed by the form factor just dissuading me from using them after a few days/weeks/months.

I don't want to sound like I'm some kind of luddite against VR/AR here, but to integrate something like this into my daily use I'd need technology to advance a little more to where this is a more wearable form factor that isn't locking me away under a big plastic box sitting on my face. To me that's 100% the tipping point for where this becomes usable consumer tech that's integrated into people's lives on the reg.

So game changer? Maybe. But the form factor is a tall hurdle for me to see cleared. I'll be happy if they achieve some significant penetration here, but I'm not optimistic. I'm happy to be wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was going to ask whether there were any rumblings about Google Earth getting some kind of cool AVP interface but seeing as how YouTube isn't even being AVP'd right now I guess I know the answer.

Wander has been a mainstay for me on the Quest, and one of the apps that actually keeps me turning it on (even though I haven't recently), so I hope some cool maps-tourism apps hit that exploit AVP's strengths.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

gregday posted:

Anyone dismissing the Vision Pro really needs to go to a store and try the demo. Whether or not you like it is up to you, but this is not just a more expensive version of the Quest. It is something entirely different.

I’ll definitely be giving this a test when it makes its way to Canada evantually, but my clumsy effort to articulate why I’m not optimistic on /my/ immediate uptake of AVP is roughly that:

The way I consume my gadgets feels very muscle memory. I pick up my phone or iPad to browse the web. I flip on my TV while lying on the couch. Flip open the Macbook to do some email or coding or something. I roll over in bed and paw at the nightstand iPad to put on some cooking youtube until I fall asleep.

I’m trying to be fair to AVP and figure out where it fits in my daily life. I think things like 3D photos or VR interactive stuff is fun and good but I don’t do that every day. So I guess the question I need to answer is whether the day to day experience is compelling enough to really make the AVP a daily driver versus just a $3500 gadget I feel is a “chore” because it has limited battery life and I have to put it on and take it off because I think my other gadgets are a more natural or preferred way to consume content of preform an activity.

I don’t think this is a knock against AVP, but when I compare it to something like Quest I am thinking of the whole consumption model, not just what I can do when I’m in there. Fair or unfair, it’s a pair of goggles I have to put on which, maybe easier than Quest, is definitely more effort than picking up an iPad. I’m trying very hard to reserve judgment because maybe AVP is amazingly light or unobtrusive but in my heart I don’t think that this will be a device for me until ANY hardware manufacturer manages to evolve the hardware down to maybe a big thick pair of glasses I can slide on or off.

Take this for the clumsily articulated mess of thoughts it is. I’m trying to keep an open mind so I’m more than happy to be pleasantly surprised and eat my words in a few months/years when I get to try one, but — and I hate that this makes me sound like a luddite — my prior experiences with “something i strap to my face” have just made me skeptical that this is a device that I would adopt for daily use. And that’s fine. Maybe AVP isn’t for me. I really hope it succeeds so I don’t want to poo poo on anyone who thinks this is the greatest thing, and I appreciate everyone who urges people like me to keep an open mind, but I kind of wanted to paint a little context on why I think I have the prejudices I come in with.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I said come in! posted:

The thing is that this was a thing at one point; Microsoft, and Google had prototypes of glasses that do exactly this, what happened with those though? They just kinda disappeared and were canceled. I was really bummed out that they didn't go anywhere because they seemed to have a lot of promise.

The only thing I can figure is that it’s just not currently possible to do what is intended in that form factor, so any smaller form glasses were effectively just toys with even less value than I perceive AVP to have.

I honestly can believe the argument that AVP is almost there in terms of comfort and reducing isolation, but I think for me that last 20 or 30% where you literally just slip them on and off like glasses makes the difference. Definitely not saying it’s a MAJOR hurdle, but there’s something about the act of strapping something to my face vs slipping on a pair of glasses that I imagine would make it a seamless go-to for consumption same as picking up an ipad or iphone.

Anyway, I don’t want anything I post here to feel like it’s discrediting the advances we see with AVP. I may just be being too bluntly honest about my personal tastes and where we are in the VR evolution.