Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Zero One posted:

Based on the name, I assume that Apple is already planning a regular "Vision" model at a lower price. The will probably have a low end "SE" at some point too.

And based on history I imagine they will also sell a previous generation at a reduced price once the next Gen is released.

Yeah but $500 ain’t gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

I think the main issue is that it’s displayed on the front (albeit under a lenticular screen) and it’s obvious from any but a perfectly straight on angle that your eyes don’t appear as far back as they should for how far the Vision Pro sticks out from your face.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Skeezy posted:

Finally a shot of Tim in the thing lol

Geez Tim, hang those pictures up, ugh.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/KateKozuch/status/1753425540025856483

gregday
May 23, 2003

Three Olives posted:

He's carrying it around like he just won an Oscar, not I had $3,500 of available credit on one of my cards.

Tbf Apple Store employees are by mandate extremely over friendly to the point of creepiness and likely had to convince him to participate in this.

gregday
May 23, 2003

OtterBox CEO licks his lips

gregday
May 23, 2003

Can you get up and walk behind a window/app? What does the back of an app look like?

gregday
May 23, 2003

If you watch tv with your family on the couch, don’t replace that experience with a thing strapped to your face.

gregday
May 23, 2003

A future version/OS update where you can watch the same movie with someone else 500 miles away in the theater mode over SharePlay will be amazing.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Video games are my passion.

https://twitter.com/James_Abev/status/1754509094214398078

gregday
May 23, 2003

Recreating the Nintendo Virtual Boy inside this thing would be sick.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Anyone dismissing the Vision Pro really needs to go to a store and try the demo. Whether or not you like it is up to you, but this is not just a more expensive version of the Quest. It is something entirely different.

gregday
May 23, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

it's cool that apple figured out a way to not need a controller or remote, but how will they solve for accessibility? my friend's little sister has syndactyly (webbed fingers) and can't always manipulate her iphone screen without accessibility features turned on. usually apple is pretty good about this stuff so i'm sure they'll find out a way to do it and subsequently pull heart strings in whatever wwdc video they produce showing how disabled people can use computers better now with an AVP (even though it costs 3x+ as much as a cheap laptop).

also i can't imagine anyone who is not an insane apple fanboy even considering an AVP until they get rid of the tethered battery

In Accessibility, you can change the clicks from being activated by a finger pinch to a mouth sound, like clicking your tongue or making some other monosyllabic noise.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Does every Apple Store have a avp demo kiosk? Do they put them into a special store kiosk mode or a store employee has to manually activate guests mode for ppl?

Every demo experience is by appointment and is guided along by a store employee with a script. The entire demo is very much on rails. You are the one driving it, but they tell you exactly where to go and what to click and do. It takes about 30 minutes, and you don't really get to explore on your own. My wife did a demo and accidentally activated the keyboard, which is not part of the tour, and they gave her a couple of tips on how to type, and then had her close it.

It starts when you show up for your appointment and check in, they get you to scan your face for a light seal size measurement, and then they come out from the back with a freshly sanitized unit for you to use, with the correct size light seal for your head. It's hooked up to an iPad so the employee can see what you're seeing and guide you.

There are units on display in the store, but they aren't for you to wear and use, just sort of to look at and handle. Anybody wearing one in store is going through the scripted demo.

gregday fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 13, 2024

gregday
May 23, 2003

I tried the Disney+ Theater environment while sitting in a leather chair roughly the same size and design as the D+ chairs, and that was a hell of an experience. I put my hands on the arm rests in the environment and it felt the way my eyes expected it to feel. But it was very weird to look down and not see my legs, but just see the leather chair seat instead.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Honestly I could spend a long while just on top of the skyscraper in the city view in the Sky Guide app. Plucking constellations out of the night sky and holding them in your hand is pure magic.

gregday
May 23, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Which is basically a middleman for Zenni to construct your lenses and slot them into the magnetically attached inserts.

Also if you have prism on your prescription you're SOL.

Did the demo this morning and I enjoyed it. Definitely on rails. Though they did let me try a keyboard as part of the demo. That wasn't as good. I can see why they might shy away from it. Wasn't as intuitive to "feel" where the keys were vs something like the Quest handsets. But on the other hand, using my eyes to direct typing and pinching to choose was pretty decent.

The resolution of the 3D photos and videos left a little something to be desired. The 8k demo was good, still a little weirdly grainy. The regular photos shot in 3D were rougher. The kind of frosted edge makes then oddly intrusive and were the only part I felt my ol VR Motion Sickness kick in because the rest of the passthrough was "flat" vs the photo.

Spatial audio was good. They had an Alicia Keyes bit where the audio tracked your head. That will be a cool bit if they ever shoot concerts with that in mind. 3D sports were a little constrained. Couldn't track a baseball as easily, a dude swinging his bat seemed like it was poorly aliased.

Can definitely tell the foveated rendering takes half a second when you turn your head to look at something. Kind if helps me with motion sickness though.

Don't have the disposable income, would buy if I did though.

In the App Store there’s an app called AmazeVR with a couple of music video “concerts”. I bought the one with T-Pain which is 4 songs in about 16 minutes and it’s INCREDIBLE. Even more impressive, personal, and in your face than the Alicia Keys video. It’s definitely on my own rotation of things to get people to try when they get a demo from me.

gregday
May 23, 2003

They did have me launch Yummly for some reason I never understood. I think it was to practice scrolling? But I sucked at it at first and they just had me quit it.

My wife accidentally opened the keyboard so they had her try typing a bit. I heard some folks did get the Encounter Dinosaurs demo in store but we didn’t.

gregday
May 23, 2003

gregday
May 23, 2003

metztli posted:

I'm trying to find something that will let me fit a Magic Keyboard and Magic Touchpad in something to let it be more or less the same ergonomics as a MacBook Pro keyboard & touchpad; this way I can essentially use this like a headless laptop. So far I've found some acrylic stuff that looks sort of jank; anyone found a good solution for something like this?

https://iwoodstore.com/products/apple-magic-keyboard-tray-walnut

gregday
May 23, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

iPhone spatial videos are somewhat less impressive than ones recorded directly on the  Vision Pro due to the cameras not being as far apart.