Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Werewolf posted:

For real, though, next time you chow down on some tacos, try some peas on ‘em.

Or don’t if you’re not a peas person. Just enjoy dem tacos how you want :frogbon:

Like regular old green peas? How are they cooked? Roasted? Or like my grandma made, all soft and mushy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Soft and mixed with the Spainish rice

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

redshirt posted:

Like regular old green peas? How are they cooked? Roasted? Or like my grandma made, all soft and mushy?

Canned green peas, drained. It’s how me mudder has been eating tacos since she was young.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!
god i am a fat disgusting slovenly man

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

pencilhands posted:

god i am a fat disgusting slovenly man

fixable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aui0gg_Zstc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQvV4SNeH-U

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

we don't have any decent mexican food in scotland so idgaf about tacos tbh

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/bzErt9mZsBJm4avXA :confused:

4 stars!

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

it's shite. i assume the ones in the USA are much better because there's no way it could be popular with the shite they served me.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i've also tried the taco bell in liverpool and it was shite too

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

this might sound a little crazy, but black pudding is pretty good in tacos. just saying

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

TrashMammal posted:

this might sound a little crazy, but black pudding is pretty good in tacos. just saying

that does sound p good

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I like steak and sour cream in a flour tortilla, with some onions and peppers which as I understand it is how the original tacos were made

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/mammacitalove/

It looked really cool. The mexican food was.... something close.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

redshirt posted:

https://www.instagram.com/mammacitalove/

It looked really cool. The mexican food was.... something close.

interesting, i might have to check that out i'm only like half an hour from st andrews

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

interesting, i might have to check that out i'm only like half an hour from st andrews

If nothing else a fun Mexican bar vibe. Right near the Uni.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Authentic Mexican food generally doesn't include tacos or burritos so if you're chasing authenticity don't eat tacos or burritos in the first place OP

And hell yeah put cheese on those things when you do eat them

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

the french have tacos but they're b asically a burrito. loving french taco bullshitters I know a burrito when I see one.

that's what should be making u mad op

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

My cheese on taco preference is just a little, like a little bit of glue to hold the contents together.

Too much cheese can take over and dominate the taco.

me to but i like it between the meat and what ever else is in the taco instead of on top. like i can have it on top to but if im making one at home its soft shell and the cheese is between the meat and the vegies or guac or w/e abomination im putting on it that makes it not authentic.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Das Boo posted:

"Authentic" foodies support ethnic segregation, prove me wrong.

People who idolize 'authentic' food are really weird to me because, I mean first of all food is generally improved over time by moving it away from its 'authentic' roots to include ingredients that weren't available for the traditional authentic style, because traditional authentic regional foods were just slapped together with what was readily available instead of what would taste the best. Like, truly authentic traditional tacos are random leftover animal organs rolled up in tortillas, as opposed to meat and fresh veggies and cheese, and there's no denying that modern tacos and burritos are better than that. But also because of what you said and because like 90% of people who only want to eat "authentic" food aren't even of the culture that they're borrowing the idea of "authenticity" from and their definition of "authentic" is strictly "a brown person made it for me". And especially when it comes to mexican food when white people go to those little bomb hole in the wall taquerias they usually order off the gringo menu anyway instead of ordering the truly authentic traditional dishes like lingua tacos or menudo. Hell they usually don't even order pozole and pozole fuckin' owns.

Idolizing authentic regional foods is no different from going all-in on otaku anime fandom.

That being said I've eaten at taco shops in the middle of Michigan and those people should be legally banned from making tacos. Ground-beef-in-hotsauce-rear end vegetable medley with mashed avocado bullshit.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 21, 2024

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Lingua and cebaza own but miss me with the tripe.

They keep trying to say it tastes like whatever you marinate it in, but I know it's stomach lining, you can't fool me

Mole is so good.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

The idea of "traditional" food is fine. The idea of "authentic" food is a fake idea.

Eat what tastes good to you.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!

Treecko posted:

Lingua and cebaza own but miss me with the tripe.

They keep trying to say it tastes like whatever you marinate it in, but I know it's stomach lining, you can't fool me

Mole is so good.

ive had tripe at puerto rican restaurants and it was good as gently caress

then i had it at a japanese restaurant and it was weird and gross

so maybe its in the preparation

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

good food is good food no matter where it came from :hai:

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Idolizing authentic regional foods is no different from going all-in on otaku anime fandom.

so where do deep fried sushi rolls fall in this discussion

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

dreezy posted:

Into my mouth.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

dreezy posted:

They're Crunchyroll

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

pencilhands posted:

I didn't even know this was a debate.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

If y’all like lengua, you’ll like cheek meat, too. Usually cheaper than lengua and just as tender and delicious.

And I’ve been craving tripas de leche lately and y’all got me wanting them more. Gonna have to scope out the carniceria soon for my fix.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Next you're gonna tell me people give a poo poo about whether you're "allowed" to have beans in chili lmao

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
You know what's good? Those cream cheese pan Leches gas station snacks.

That's a whole pound cake for 1.50

Gonna grab one of those and Blueberry Danish. Going international

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mexican style taco toppings are a lot better than American style toppings, but I don't think it's because of the lack of cheese.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Im a Crunchwrap Supremacist

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I'd fight someone irl if they told me I can't put beans in chilli

I like the dark red Kidneys though, pintos are meh

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The only chili that cant have beans is detroit style coney island chili or skyline chili. Theyre sort of their own things though.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

You Are A Werewolf posted:

If y’all like lengua, you’ll like cheek meat, too. Usually cheaper than lengua and just as tender and delicious.

And I’ve been craving tripas de leche lately and y’all got me wanting them more. Gonna have to scope out the carniceria soon for my fix.

Yeah, if you have a butcher shop where you can get pork cheeks you can make a really nice stew. There's a lot of connective tissue, but a sear for flavor and braise for tenderness makes them really good. Might be more of a Spain thing, though, since the recipe I know of uses dry sherry and smoked paprika?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
A lot of the time when they say "authentic X doesn't include Y" what the really mean is "the capital city's X doesn't include y"

That's certainly the case with flour tortillas, sorry that you personally don't use flour tortillas but that doesn't invalidate that North Mexico does and North Mexicans are in fact the ones who introduced the rest of the world to Mexican food.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

That's also my nickname

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Poohs Packin posted:

The only chili that cant have beans is detroit style coney island chili or skyline chili. Theyre sort of their own things though.

Oh that's an easy fix you just replace the beans with an equal amount of cinnamon.

It's OK, I wouldn't turn it away, but it's not my first choice.

Cincinnati is a weird place and deserves its weird food

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I invented tacos and the answer is no OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Treecko posted:

Oh that's an easy fix you just replace the beans with an equal amount of cinnamon.

It's OK, I wouldn't turn it away, but it's not my first choice.

Cincinnati is a weird place and deserves its weird food

Where I would sit down ans enjoy a hot bowl of bean containing chili, I would never just have skyline chili or coney chili on its own unless my goal was to violently poo poo myself. Theyre condiments, not a food to be eaten alone.