Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Smugworth posted:

Epic thread PH, well done

ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Poohs Packin posted:

Actual chefs think these kinds of articles are absolute bullshit. Unfortunately people have received tons of negative press over cooking the wrong stuff.

There was the "Clean Chinese Food" lady in NY who got international negative attention for daring to cook healthier versions of takeaway favorites. They lasted less than a year. They even apologized but the damage was already done.

As if the restaurant business wasnt fraught with enough risk, chefs have to now consider if they are the correct race to cook their menu lest the NYT bring the ban hammer down.

Fuckin chinese food is woke now too?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Human sapience is a weird condition because our main method to thrive is to figure stuff out. Our brains are built to see and solve problems, so we see them everywhere. Existing, however has no solution, ideal or otherwise. Because we are aware of our existence, human sapience curses us to easily fall victim to steeping in existential unease, convinced there is a proper way to live that we must either invent, discover, or rediscover, before it's too late.

Only once we, paradoxically, solve the unsolvable problem of wanting to solve, will society finally accept my proposition that a microwaved Totino's Triple Meat Pizza, folded at the median and filled with the contents of a Banquet Mexican Dinner, constitutes a valid taco.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

Human sapience is a weird condition because our main method to thrive is to figure stuff out. Our brains are built to see and solve problems, so we see them everywhere. Existing, however has no solution, ideal or otherwise. Because we are aware of our existence, human sapience curses us to easily fall victim to steeping in existential unease, convinced there is a proper way to live that we must either invent, discover, or rediscover, before it's too late.

Only once we, paradoxically, solve the unsolvable problem of wanting to solve, will society finally accept my proposition that a microwaved Totino's Triple Meat Pizza, folded at the median and filled with the contents of a Banquet Mexican Dinner, constitutes a valid taco.

*Gasps!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Vietnamese fried egg rolls at the mall hit different

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
In a good way.

It's shut down now.

Dang they're so tasty, and those women made them fresh to order.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I wonder if they're the same as the Vietnamese Spring rolls that I get at a local Thai/vietnamese food place.

Them shits are good as gently caress.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

wesleywillis posted:

Fuckin chinese food is woke now too?

I get that a white lady spruiking "clean" chinese food can rub people the wrong way but going after the business and brigading yelp reviews is bananas.

People were saying that they found bugs in the food and became violently ill and giving one star because of articles they read.

In conclusion im no longer working in restaurants.

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 22, 2024

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Resuraunt jobs suck so I'm glad you're out.

Retail isn't much better.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

anyone who describes food as “clean” for any other reason than that it is free of dirt deserves to be bullied. that’s nature’s law right there. no escaping it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd rather work in the back of the kitchen than retail. Dishwashing all day is better.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

i worked for like 7 years front of house in restaurants and i cant imagine ever going back

people are horrible

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

pencilhands posted:

i worked for like 7 years front of house in restaurants and i cant imagine ever going back

people are horrible

never thought i’d say this, but pencilhands is right :haibrow:

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I could never be a server.

Give me the dishes

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
I honestly live for the part where people struggle to put one of 10+ cards into the machine despite doing apparently nothing but buying poo poo with rental income and complaining their whole lives.

moist banana bread fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 22, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Working in a kitchen was pretty awesome. Or it was for me.

Booze, drugs, not giving a gently caress, going out and getting loaded and/or hosed up with coworkers.

Never had more fun at any job than I did working in kitchens.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I got out while I still loved it and the next career move wouldve been either Exec at fine dining or open own casual place. Neither seemed like a good idea for my health or marriage.

Ive got life long friends and tons of great memories. I also was wildly underpaid and overworked and often subject to straight up abusive practices though.

(Cheese goes on tacos unless you dont want to)

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

TrashMammal posted:

never thought i’d say this, but pencilhands is right :haibrow:

thank you

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Wendy's in 2009 was cool as hell, we could walk to the QT and get blunt wraps and the managers would supply the weed as long as I cleared out the seeds and stems

Then they started smoking meth and the dumpster was no longer a chill place.

Man, Meth heads ruin everything

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I like to put the cheese in first so the meat melts it.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Putting a little shredded cheese on the plancha so it melts into the tortilla and gets crispy

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

im usually pretty attentive to traditional combinations and flavour themes of foods i eat and prepare a lot of, depending on the proximity of the cuisine to me. italian food is my heritage, so i cook it fairly close to my family's (abruzzese mountain food). i was married to a lao woman for a while who was first generation so i also picked up a lot of SE asian cuisine. + around here we have a gently caress ton of south asian and levantine immigrants so there are a lot of little grocers which sell high quality ingredients for those cuisines and i've tried my hand at incorporating a few dishes from those styles.

mexico is a long way away tho and we have very few mexican immigrants here. the selection is dismal. i dont know that ive ever had good mexican food in my life lol. cheese on a taco is ftw. ground beef? yeah sure who gives a poo poo. we do "taco day" white as hell in my house where we put sour cream, beef, lettuce, jar salsa and some shredded cheese on at the table and call it a day

hell, i'll put pecorino on a taco :twisted:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

There's a legit taco truck down the street from me from 5PM-1AM 5 days a week and it's full-blown Mexican, no seafood, they don't do any cheese, but you do get a bag full of limes and a foil pouch full of pico and it's great.

Grilled jalapeno garnish.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

its all nice on rice posted:

Had braised rabbit once. It was delicious.

Yeah, rabbit can be good as hell. Cooked it a few times when I could find it cheaply. Makes very good stew too.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The cleanliness of restraunts doesn't bother me - I've destroyed my own guts with years of neglect and anxiety, if I poo poo, I'm not going to know if it's because a rat pissed in my soup unless I do a deep forensic analysis so just do whatever.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'll put mushrooms in with the ground beef when making tacos sometimes.

Is this sacrilege?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I could see it

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Is this sacrilege?

get some huitlacoche instead of mushrooms and boom

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Is this sacrilege?

fuuuuuck thats a good rear end idea bro. kinda like a fine dice like duxelles could be hella good in there. my nana did a timballo with mushroom and ground veal/lamb that was loving bomb, kinda the same idea

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Hominy is so good in tacos, or on the side.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

tellin y'all huitlacoche, it's even authentic vs. some other mushroom

poo poo you can even just make huitlacoche tacos

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

tellin y'all huitlacoche, it's even authentic vs. some other mushroom

poo poo you can even just make huitlacoche tacos

unfrotunately there's about a 0% chance i can find that poo poo around here. i can get abruzzese truffles tho lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

tbh you should try to get some huitlacoche sometime, i think they're on level
it looks like fuckin nasty thick toenails but goddamn smut-infected corn is so good

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The answer has already been stated many times: crumbled cotija

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

corn smut sounds terrible, looks terrible, tastes amazing. an extremely confusing food

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
i'm so hungry.

but, let's just say i'm not going to say no to a no-chz tac'.

now, a burrito or 'dilla without cheese is a non-starter
(i mean, i'd still eat it, but)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

TrashMammal posted:

corn smut sounds terrible, looks terrible, tastes amazing. an extremely confusing food

those are some of the best kinds

except chitterlings, one of the few foods I won't eat because I've eaten it done "perfectly" before

zone
Dec 6, 2016
I like tacos both with or without cheese.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

zone posted:

I like tacos both with or without cheese.

Yeah depends on the taco. An authentic Mexican style taco, naw, they aren't served with cheese and don't need it. If I'm making tacos at home, or any taco at a place like Taco Bell, hell yeah I want cheese on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Cotija is good, but check this out:
I sprinkle cotija on a hot skillet in about a 3" diameter circle first. It pretty quickly melts together in a nice lacy little cheese disc. Grab it with your spatula before it starts to get too crispy and put it on the corn tortilla, also still hot from the skillet. Now put your lengua or asada or whatever on top of that with some diced up jalapeños and onions and cilantro with a lime squeezed over it.