Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which UFC Middleweight should be champion instead of either of these dudes?
This poll is closed.
Robert Whittaker 5 29.41%
Yoel Romero 5 29.41%
Anthony Smith 0 0%
Kenny Florian 5 29.41%
Francisco Trinaldo 2 11.76%
Total: 17 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Had Strickland 1, 2, 5 but it was close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Racism loses?? in the ufc ??????

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Very close fight in my dumb opinion

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i hate sal d'amato so much

edit: almost as much as cruz

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

BrotherJayne posted:

LET'S loving GO! gently caress THAT NAZI BITCH! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DDP CHAMP!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tweak posted:

i hate sal d'amato so much

:agreed:

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
And ANOTHER chud goes dud.

Looks like GQP isn't a very good fighting base....

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Whoever told Strickland to hold back for this fight cost him so bad

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dricus!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It was intensely satisfying watching that shithead lose the belt immediately following me running to the bathroom to throw up from anik's utterly insane comments about Strickland having conor mcgregor-esque star-power

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Doltos posted:

Whoever told Strickland to hold back for this fight cost him so bad

Yeah that was so weird

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Heh, I wonder if any of the judges agreed with DDP about him winning the last round

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

He didn't do poo poo with his takedowns, why does he think that's determining the round

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
No, don't call Strickland a great guy, please

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

It was intensely satisfying watching that shithead lose the belt immediately following me running to the bathroom to throw up from anik's utterly insane comments about Strickland having conor mcgregor-esque star-power

I choose to believe Anik meant that in all the worst ways possible.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think the judges gave DDP round 5 for landing a few strikes during the last flurry. He was retreating but he took some of those haymakers without a ton of damage. Strickland was just too gassed by then. It sounded like good pops but he was just withstanding them.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, okay, 3 was the only round they disagreed about, that sounds right to me

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Doltos posted:

I think the judges gave DDP round 5 for landing a few strikes during the last flurry. He was retreating but he took some of those haymakers without a ton of damage. Strickland was just too gassed by then. It sounded like good pops but he was just withstanding them.

https://twitter.com/UFCNews/status/1748958783844618409

Pretty by the book, actually.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I could actually see DDP holding onto the belt for a while. MW is pretty dire. I guess there's Allen and Chimaev coming up.

Or Adesanya could come back, destroy DDP's awkwardness, and then let himself get shut down by Strickland again.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Cool fight in a cool division.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I had all 3 rounds in the middle to dpp.

Sal damato is always terrible and always fucks up.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Oh drat I got it completely backwards

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

that was a good fight and strickland lost but the coolest thing on this card was a neil magny fight

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012
How'd DDP's eye magically get better as the fight went on? They pop it or what?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

how was 3 the split and not 2?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

For all I know people don't like rematches but I wouldn't mind seeing that again. Rob is fighting Costa, Adesanya returned to his home planet, Alex is a LH, no one gives a poo poo about Vettori, Khamzat is going to be threatening people on twitter for another year. I guess jared is around but I don't care

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

naw gently caress that.

Izzy DDP time, that gonna be wild

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I wish I weren't surrounded by Stricklands so him having free reign over a microphone to spout bigoted didn't touch such a nerve

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

BrotherJayne posted:

how was 3 the split and not 2?

Round 3 was clearly DPP IMO.... It was round 2 that was the toss up

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CarlCX posted:

I really wish du Plessis would stop throwing the winging overhand, it's nowhere near landing and Strickland's jabbing him on it 3/4 times now.

I thought maybe he's trying to program Strickland to raise that jab forearm really high to set up something to the body. Never did anything more with that other than those two weakly landing spinning back kicks.

crepeface posted:

strickland really does have a nice jab
His straight punches are great, but it really is all he's got. In the late rounds when he was trying to score and Du Plessis was flailing around defensively on the inside, Strickland threw some of the dumbest, least disciplined punches I've seen out of him. If you can get your head significantly off line while landing kicks to the lead leg, I think you have a solid offense on Strickland.

The other weakness I saw is that Strickland will block kicks to his right body with the elbow or by catching the kick. If he refuses to wrestle, you're taking away his harder punch when he responds to the kick, so that's an easier target, too.

BrotherJayne posted:

Izzy DDP time, that gonna be wild
I far prefer this to a rematch. It'd be a close fight but not especially entertaining given what I saw this time. If Izzy wins, I would like to see if he can make adjustments or get revenge like he did for Pereira.
If DDP wins, sure, give Strickland the rematch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

kimbo305 posted:

His straight punches are great, but it really is all he's got. In the late rounds when he was trying to score and Du Plessis was flailing around defensively on the inside, Strickland threw some of the dumbest, least disciplined punches I've seen out of him. If you can get your head significantly off line while landing kicks to the lead leg, I think you have a solid offense on Strickland.
jack slack describing him as only having the opener but not knowing any other chords was :discourse:

anyway, here's wonderwall