Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

easily the best PDD ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Nepo Truce

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
A foot in the door and so much more.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy gently caress it's tobe nwingwe

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Snorb posted:

"Do you ha' anethng t' add, Robin?"

(eventually) "....no."

This bit seems more like it's intended to show off Jimmy Fallon's Barry Gibb impersonation. I think Dakota only had like two lines; definitely a "no faith in the host" sketch. (Though "I WILL DEGLOVE YOUR CORPSE AND USE YOUR RIBCAGE AS A LOBSTER TRAP!" is... definitely the first time I've heard that insult.)

Kind of, it was a popular running sketch 20 years ago when Fallon was in the cast. It's in the rotation of old sketches they'll bring back when Timberlake is on the show.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Oink go the cards, pig go the skin

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I thought every live sketch tonight was extremely bad but the Nepo Truce redeemed it from being a total failure

Home Movies felt... ambitious? But I didn't laugh

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve decided to ignore the lame and pointless Shark Tank dorks cameo, and instead choose to believe Ego’s line about buying a stake in their company was in fact a nod to cool people who listen to her podcast, Entree P Neur’s Entrepreneur Tour (which is good and if you don’t listen to it? Straight to jail.)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

In the sketches I've watched so far it feels like there was a lot of awkwardness around timing and stuff, like more than I usually notice. It kinda put a damper on a lot of the jokes but I fundamentally don't hate most of it. Was getting pretty worried after the Elordi ep

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The cold open was super rough for sure. The timing for everything just felt off.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

EL BROMANCE posted:

The cold open was super rough for sure. The timing for everything just felt off.
The green screen in the cold open looked like absolute rear end. I don't watch football though so maybe it's true to life.

most of the other problems with live sketches had to do with Dakota's incredibly stilted readings

Only registered members can see post attachments!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Just caught up with the last couple of episodes over the last couple of days, those were both pretty dire imo. The Elordi episode was in the classic mold of "this guy is a complete stiff, every sketch will just have to be about how hot he is." I don't know why the Dakota Johnson episode had to be so bad, she seems pretty game.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 3, 2024

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If tonights episode is also garbage, I'm gonna start wondering wtf is going on.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Any opinions about the casting for the upcoming Jason Reitman SNL movie? It will depict the original cast putting together the first episode and is based on interviews done with the real people, original cast, crew, and subsequent cast members as well. I love that Rachel Sennott is getting parts, if you haven't seen Bottoms, do, it's loving hilarious. She's playing Rosie Shuster. There's not a lot of big names in the other parts, though I think they did a good job on the likenesses for most of them.

I do want to comment on one piece of casting that didn't happen that is killing me. The woman they got to play Larraine Newman has a bit of an unconventional look that suits the part, but goddamn it if Katie Maravitch wouldn't have loving killed it. She not only bears a stronger resemblance, but she has already done a droll delivery like Newman used so often in her WU pieces. Check her out on the Dropout channel on Youtube in the Breaking News bits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJlVAIKb6o8&t=254s

I can't imagine getting someone more perfect to play a young Larraine Newman.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Somehow that news got by me, and drat that’s a great director for it. I’m hyped.

Ayo tonight, please be saving the good sketches for her. She deserves some kind of award for the amount of really good stuff she’s been involved in for the last year, just insane.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

GreenNight posted:

If tonights episode is also garbage, I'm gonna start wondering wtf is going on.

Half their ideas are getting shelved for season 50?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Big time stuff! Ayo Edebiri, fresh off GG and Emmy wins for her role in that show The Bear, makes her hosting debut! And Jennifer Lopez returns for her sixth time as host and/or musical guest.

Here's an interesting thing to look out for.

https://twitter.com/thesnlnetwork/status/1753906727001477512

Thank god someone's keeping track of this.

Get hype!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxenqOBI0KU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GJcIhu1YR8

What about Wednesday read-through pics 🥺

Aaaaand no cast photos this week. Odd that the one photo of Edebiri looks like it was shot from the balcony. Maybe Papa Lorne was in A Mood this week and didn't want distractions (hard to blame him after the past couple weeks of lackluster eps).

And the Thursday promo?

...the Thursday promo...

Finally hit Friday night :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTSDZ5yzTsQ

Scuttlebutt reports that J-Lo wasn't there for rehearsals on Thursday, which is usually when they tape promos. They finally taped them yesterday at 4, which upset the show's routine. Typically there's an hour or so blocked out on Thursday morning to do blocking and rehearsal for MG, and Friday is the big rehearsal day for the sketches (sets are being built Thursday). Since we're on the subject, here, have this complete rehearsal of Smashing Pumpkins from Thursday October 28 1993 (for the Christian Slater ep from S19). I happened to find this on Sunday, I've seen plenty of rehearsal vids over the years but rarely a full uncut one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMiZTrwcwOU

Love the shot at the very end, getting to clearly see the pipes(?) that were normally only visible through the performance area threw me into a time tunnel to being 11 years old.

I also find this edited one of the Rolling Stones when they "hosted" the S4 premiere in 1978. Oldest rehearsal bootleg by a mile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPICtR1P2_g

Capping off this sojourn with some Shiny Happy Fuckers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7QgsixRWNw

Anyway, given her late arrival, dunno if we'll see Lopez in a sketch. But here, Marcello did another BtS this week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBv64mV_eU4

So there we are. Now to see if the show can pull itself out of this funk. Fingers crossed...

pwn
May 27, 2004

Aaaaaaaand there's a rumour that Nikki Haley makes a cameo in the cold open.

:nutshot:

pwn
May 27, 2004

And the next live show is going to be hosted by Shane Gillis. The guy who was hired to join the cast in S45, only to be fired before his first episode because of racist poo poo he said on podcasts. He remained in Lorneworld however as he had a big role in Bupkis last year, and now his dumb rear end is gonna host. With music from 21 Savage.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

This is dire, Jesus Christ

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
"...and did you win your home state in the last election?"

"I WON STATEN ISLAND! ...and the part of Long Island where all the fist fights happen."

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I think they just hit their lowest point ever. It is somehow lower than letting Trump host. Embarrassing.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Boooooooooooo! :mad:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh come on, it wasn’t that bad.

Ayo seemed really comfortable in her monologue. Hope this bodes well for the sketches.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
"I spent all my money recording 'The Jaeger Made Me Do It' and I have to move back to Ohio, and it has 237 views and the only comment is 'would smash.'"

"You're welcome, by the way!"

I was expecting another shot of the pissed-off wife who was definitely not in the audience when he said that.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I'd rather be straight edge than sharing mushroom needles with a junkie

Marcello owns in his 1.5 second appearance

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

pwn posted:

Marcello owns in his 1.5 second appearance

Bet

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Marcelo’s definitely the MVP of the episode so far

pwn
May 27, 2004

Pass. :smug:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I wonder if JLO had them calling out Maid in Manhattan as part of her contract.

Edit: Colin and Sarah have certainly been missing this season.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 4, 2024

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/thatweekinsnl/status/1754009651274736007?s=46&t=t8CFjI5-v0IxaoLh38KSzw

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Is he even as well known as Nate Barghatze? I swear I'm not familiar with anything he's done.

Anyway, I noticed that I didn't bother linking a story that shows the cast of the SNL movie. Here's one with pics of the actors and who they are playing side by side.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/tv/news/see-the-snl-1975-cast-side-by-side-with-the-real-life-saturday-night-live-actors/ar-BB1hIypM

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Who? What?

quote:

Gillis was announced as a new cast member on the NBC sketch comedy series Saturday Night Live in 2019, only to be fired from the show five days later due to backlash from clips of a 2018 episode of a podcast featuring jokes that contained ethnic slurs.

Oh…

Oh.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Brain down, rear end up

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
When it’s windy out I can feel my memories blowing away!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

good sketch

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Solid episode overall, definitely a step up from recent episodes. Ayo was great.

I don't have much of an opinion on Gillis, though I have noticed he does tend to have some annoying fans. But hey, if he ends up putting out a funny episode, then that'll be great.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Uhg, I just know Gillis is going to compare himself to Norm in his monologue, sounding like the one Norm gave the first time he hosted.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Bowen, if you leave, I won't blame you one bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Having Shane on robs the biggest dorks online of their one example of cancel culture that exists (and it wasn’t even a good one at that).

It’s like Lorne made a deal with the devil that once a season he has to book a host that just makes him and the show look like loving idiots.