Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

In Seinfeld the main characters committed many crimes against decency. Some of these acts were actually illegal, e.g.:
  • Seinfeld stealing a lady's loaf of marble rye.
  • George forcibly pushing old women and children out of the way to escape a fire at her son’s birthday party [that's multiple assaults!]
  • Kramer entering a rooster in cock fighting ring contests (making him a member of the ring), then attending a contest (with the cock and Jerry and George). Illegal, illegal, illegal.
And there were probably many more episodes of law breaking in the show, if I flogged my memory or had time to google it further.

Now, some of the dastardly acts the main characters on Seinfeld committed on the show weren't actually illegal but were still bad enough to be termed crimes against decency.

One such act that comes to mind is George double-dipping. He was at a party, situated right next to a bowl of tasty dip and crackers. He repeatedly took a cracker, dipped it, took a bite, then dipped it again. :barf: The habitually selfish baldy fuckhead got rightfully called out on this bad behaviour by another party guest guy, who had to explain to George about how he didn't want to eat his remnant saliva in the dip. Of course self-centred assclown George was non-compliant and kept double-dipping like a dirty loving pig1 , resulting in the offended guy getting mad and physically fighting George to remove the bowl of chips from him.

In the (2-episode) series ending, the gang (Jerry, Kramer, George and Elaine) are arrested and tried in court for watching an armed robbery and doing nothing about it, not even going around a corner and calling the cops.2 Various negative character witnessed, people who've known the gang, share testimony about nasty acts the gang have committed, solo and in various combinations. Some of the acts mentioned were illegal, some were what we're calling here crimes against decency.
https://collider.com/seinfeld-series-ending-explainedl/

What legal 'crimes against decency' do you remember from the Seinfeld TV series?

1 Wait, sorry, that's an insult to actual 4-legged pigs.
2 Prosecuted under a fictional state 'Good Samaritan Law'. The gang had watched the entire robbery while swapping jokes about it and yokking it up. (Yeah, gently caress them).

tl;dr: What legal 'crimes against decency' do you remember from the Seinfeld TV series?

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
This thread is a crime against decency and the OP should be in jail.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:secondpost:

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
you should be ashamed of yourself OP

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:fourthpost:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
gently caress is that smiley broken??

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:fourthpost: :fourthpost: :fourthpost:

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

:seventhpost:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

the horse farted

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I never watched Seinfeld sorry OP.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

the time kramer kidnaps and murders all those people

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

this thread.... sucks!!!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Remember the episode where Jerry and Kramer swap jobs and Jerry murders a bunch of people while Kramer tries doing stand up but calls people the n-word and gets in lots of trouble?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I'd like to have an airing of grievances for op.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
When they drugged that woman to play with her toys. Totally legal, but oof.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

What about the time George misappropriates the eclair from the place that the mother of the lady he was dating was storing it.

He even remarks on the presentation of the item which was stored on a doily from the place he removed it from.

It could be argued that it was soon to enter the realm of public domain.

Or that food left out for guests could be consumed at will.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
The time that Jerry didn't say the magic word to Newman and was unable to get the power grid back online.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

masturbating isn't a crime but it should be

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

BigBadSteve posted:

In the (2-episode) series ending, the gang (Jerry, Kramer, George and Elaine) are arrested and tried in court for watching an armed robbery and doing nothing about it, not even going around a corner and calling the cops.2 Various negative character witnessed, people who've known the gang, share testimony about nasty acts the gang have committed, solo and in various combinations. Some of the acts mentioned were illegal, some were what we're calling here crimes against decency.
https://collider.com/seinfeld-series-ending-explainedl/

What legal 'crimes against decency' do you remember from the Seinfeld TV series?
interestingly, the crime that got them arrested was actually likely legal in real life. so-called "good samaritan laws" are actually an unrelated set of laws that exist to protect people who provide reasonable assistance to those they believe to be injured or in peril.
as I understand it, in the united states, "duty to act" laws, meaning laws that hold individuals criminally responsible for not doing something, generally only apply if you yourself created a hazardous situation or if the person in peril is your spouse, a child under your care, an employee, or a guest on your property. there are a few states that, on paper, require bystanders to alert authorities, but these are rarely if ever enforced because they're extremely unlikely to hold up in court due to existing legal precedence

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
That giant ball of oil would have 100% killed that lady

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

The Loin King posted:

you should be ashamed of yourself OP

Should me no shoulds.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Buce posted:

the time kramer kidnaps and murders all those people

That was when Kramer was in Hollywood, and the police there were convinced he was a serial killer, for reasons. From memory, the cops let Kramer go, after they held him for a number of days (and mercilessly grilled him repeatedly til he literally cried), after the murders continued while he was inside.

Don't believe everything you hear, including from cops, fictional or real life. I've noticed a few times that the cops where I am (Australia) are way too keen about arresting and charging family members in some cases, particularly suspected child murders. The classic case of this will be remembered even to many non-Australians for the phrase, "A dingo ate my baby!", (murder suspect Lindy Chamberlain's repeated exclamation at the time, which turned out to be the truth).

Kramer is of course humorously eccentric, which takes most of the viewer's attention, but tends to be pretty selfish/self-centred with it (if he wasn't, he wouldn't be friends with the rest of the gang [Jerry, George and Elaine], they wouldn't be compatible). Like the rest of the gang, often his selfishness isn't immediately apparent, but is frequently there, nonetheless.

You know, the ending of the series surprised me and probably a lot of other regular viewers; various behaviours of the gang, solo and in combination, which I'd watched in multiple episodes, were really more reprehensible than I'd noticed when watching them before seeing the finale. I think this is one reason some people don't like the finale (but I liked it).

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 21, 2024

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

bradzilla posted:

this thread.... sucks!!!

Yet my posts in it (if I say so myself), and the replies which aren't trolling (give my regards to FYAD, Nooner) are good.

So turn on your monitor, I guess.

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
I dont understand you OP, I really dont.

You have nothing better to do at three o clock in the afternoon? I went out for a quart of milk. I log on and i find OP treating gbs like it was an amusement park.

The Loin King fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 21, 2024

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That time the gang tried to do a home make-over to a Hispanic family to give back to the community but in actuality kidnapped them and ended up destroying their house.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

The Loin King posted:

I dont understand you OP, I really dont.

You have nothing better to do at three o clock in the afternoon? I went out for a quart of milk. I log on and i find OP treating gbs like it was an amusement park.

I was considering having a wank instead, but decided instead to multitask cleaning & fixing & ordering & organizing a few things at home and also post this here thread about an unrelated topic, i.e. not on the subject of wanking so hopefully won't get me probed (heheh, 'probed') or the thread gassed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 21, 2024

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Cubone posted:

Interestingly, the crime that got them arrested was actually likely legal in real life. so-called "good samaritan laws" are actually an unrelated set of laws that exist to protect people who provide reasonable assistance to those they believe to be injured or in peril.

I'll take your word for it that real-life 'good samaritan laws' in the U.S. do what you say they do, and even take your word for all the other claims you make. Ultimately, however, this is a TV series, the stories and many concepts in it are fictional. I'm guessing anyway that the term 'good samaritan law' is generally not an official term, but one used unofficially to describe certain type(s) of law. The term would probably used in media reports and in discussion by the politicians who passed those laws, but I'm guesstimating the term is never used in text of the actual legislation concerned. As an unofficial term, its use could easily change if the type of legislation we're talking about was passed (English is a living language, even American English.)

And with so many U.S. states (we only have about 7 in my country!), unless you're a high end lawyer (and if so, why would you be posting here at 3PM on a Sunday?), I do doubt that you know definitively which states have 'good samaritan laws', and the precise coverage of the legislation in each. But in fact it's irrelevant, because the concept of 'Good Samaritan law' in Seinfeld is exactly as I described it above, and as I said it's a state law (in the show). Laws can be changed, and new facets of existing laws can be added by new legislation.

And even giving you the complete benefit of the doubt on all the above, so what, like do you watch The Simpsons and have apoplectic fits over every logical/'factual'/continuity error? If so, I pity the state of your blood pressure. We're talking about a comedy sitcom here (Seinfeld), one with consistently great writing, direction and acting, beloved by uncountable millions. Not everyone has to approve of every facet of every script (or of all the behaviour of all the cast in real life years after the show ended, for that matter).

Cubone posted:

As I understand it, in the united states, "duty to act" laws, meaning laws that hold individuals criminally responsible for not doing something, generally only apply if you yourself created a hazardous situation or if the person in peril is your spouse, a child under your care, an employee, or a guest on your property. there are a few states that, on paper, require bystanders to alert authorities, but these are rarely if ever enforced because they're extremely unlikely to hold up in court due to existing legal precedence

Not necessarily applicable at all, due to (1) The limits of your own understanding/legal knowledge of every related U.S. state law at the time time of the episode's production, (2) The law created in this fictional trope is probably rather different to the current real-life so-called 'good samaritan' laws, probably anywhere in the U.S. (as yet, however some countries may actually already have these laws, e.g. one or more Scandinavian countries?), and (3) Laws which "are rarely if ever enforced because they're extremely unlikely to hold up in court due to existing legal precedence" can be changed and extended (many often are) by better drafted legislation so that they override pre-existing precedence, since any 'precedence' would have been formulated by a judge or judges based on the old law, before the well-drafted Seinfeld-type 'Good Samaritan Law'.

Hope that helps.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 21, 2024

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Alucard posted:

The time that Jerry didn't say the magic word to Newman and was unable to get the power grid back online.

Knormal posted:

That time the gang tried to do a home make-over to a Hispanic family to give back to the community but in actuality kidnapped them and ended up destroying their house.

syntaxfunction posted:

Remember the episode where Jerry and Kramer swap jobs and Jerry murders a bunch of people while Kramer tries doing stand up but calls people the n-word and gets in lots of trouble?

I don't remember any of these, though I've watched all episodes multiple times, and usually remember most main plot points.

Would you please provide a few more details of these episodes' plots? (If any of you were joking, feel free to make them up.)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well I'm not pleased with Jerry Seinfeld cruising a highschool and dating a minor for a while but it might not have been illegal.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

What's the deal with airplanes

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
seinfeld loving sucks

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i don't think it is technically illegal to pretend to be a marine biologist, but it is frowned upon in the marine biology community, and furthermore the sea itself has no emotions and thus cannot express itself like "an old man trying to return soup in a deli" so that's spreading misinformation, also bad.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
He’s a poster, Jerry! A Sunday poster!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

also this is less than indecent and i guess just kind of odd, but something about the amount of cereal that jerry eats kind of bothers me

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
jerry stole cable and was shot by the police

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Earwicker posted:

i don't think it is technically illegal to pretend to be a marine biologist, but it is frowned upon in the marine biology community, and furthermore the sea itself has no emotions and thus cannot express itself like "an old man trying to return soup in a deli" so that's spreading misinformation, also bad.

more or less illegal to pretend to be a neo nazi for knicks tickets?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Professor Wayne posted:

jerry stole cable and was shot by the police

this is the world republicans want to live in

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Did they kill the bubble boy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003