Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The X-man cometh posted:

Did they kill the bubble boy?

the Moops did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

He appears in the finale, testifying in court against both Jerry (for not coming to his house as he'd promised and sending George instead) and of course George.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbzjaecJZQM

Edit: Somewhat unrelated, but I just remembered how in one episode, George tried to arrange a date with a hot lady singer who liked quirky bald men, and when she asked him about his relationship status, he reluctantly admitted that he was engaged. She immediately punched him in the face, hard, something I'm sure almost anyone who had any dealings of note with George Costanza would also want to do. Can't stand ya!

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 21, 2024

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

BigBadSteve posted:

I was considering having a wank instead

Too bad you couldnt do that for a living. You'd be a big star. You'd sell out Madison Square Garden!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

the elmer fudd laugher was a cutie and Jerry deserves to die alone

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

King of the castle king of the castle

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

BigBadSteve posted:

I'll take your word for it that real-life 'good samaritan laws' in the U.S. do what you say they do, and even take your word for all the other claims you make. Ultimately, however, this is a TV series, the stories and many concepts in it are fictional. I'm guessing anyway that the term 'good samaritan law' is generally not an official term, but one used unofficially to describe certain type(s) of law. The term would probably used in media reports and in discussion by the politicians who passed those laws, but I'm guesstimating the term is never used in text of the actual legislation concerned. As an unofficial term, its use could easily change if the type of legislation we're talking about was passed (English is a living language, even American English.)

And with so many U.S. states (we only have about 7 in my country!), unless you're a high end lawyer (and if so, why would you be posting here at 3PM on a Sunday?), I do doubt that you know definitively which states have 'good samaritan laws', and the precise coverage of the legislation in each. But in fact it's irrelevant, because the concept of 'Good Samaritan law' in Seinfeld is exactly as I described it above, and as I said it's a state law (in the show). Laws can be changed, and new facets of existing laws can be added by new legislation.

And even giving you the complete benefit of the doubt on all the above, so what, like do you watch The Simpsons and have apoplectic fits over every logical/'factual'/continuity error? If so, I pity the state of your blood pressure. We're talking about a comedy sitcom here (Seinfeld), one with consistently great writing, direction and acting, beloved by uncountable millions. Not everyone has to approve of every facet of every script (or of all the behaviour of all the cast in real life years after the show ended, for that matter).

Not necessarily applicable at all, due to (1) The limits of your own understanding/legal knowledge of every related U.S. state law at the time time of the episode's production, (2) The law created in this fictional trope is probably rather different to the current real-life so-called 'good samaritan' laws, probably anywhere in the U.S. (as yet, however some countries may actually already have these laws, e.g. one or more Scandinavian countries?), and (3) Laws which "are rarely if ever enforced because they're extremely unlikely to hold up in court due to existing legal precedence" can be changed and extended (many often are) by better drafted legislation so that they override pre-existing precedence, since any 'precedence' would have been formulated by a judge or judges based on the old law, before the well-drafted Seinfeld-type 'Good Samaritan Law'.

Hope that helps.
Ah, but my friend, do you see what you've done? You've outlined an expectation of legal knowledge that can't be met by any response to your initial query!

I'm not sure what could have given the impression that I was attempting to raise an objection about the contents of the show itself; I only meant to offer an answer to the topic at hand that I find (as I said) interesting. If you doubt the veracity of my speaking from general knowledge, that's fine. Laudable, in fact!

As you rightly point out, how can I know what was illegal in accordance with every related state law at the time of the episode's production? How can I know how the laws have changed? And, perhaps the most difficult barrier: how can I know how the law in the fiction of the show differs from real world laws?

Yet the very topic of the thread is "crimes against decency" committed by the characters in Seinfeld which were not actually illegal. So I must ask in turn: How can I know what was illegal in accordance with every related state law at the time of an episodes' production? How can I know how the law in the fiction of the show differs from real life laws? How can I know how the laws have changed?
And I must answer: I can't!
But I did see Devin J. Stone, Esq. (whom I've independently verified to my own satisfaction to actually be a practicing attorney in the Washington D.C. area and an adjunct professor at Georgetown Law) talk about it in a YouTube video a few years ago. :tipshat:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I thought it was pretty hosed up the time they were stuck in the history museum overnight and they had to eat all the ancient Egyptian mummies to survive. Actually I'm pretty sure all my memory of actual Seinfeld plots have been replaced with ChatGPT bullshit.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Pretty sure George would be a registered sex offender by now.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

The X-man cometh posted:

nah he pulled through

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Cartwright!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I liked it when they ran over that lady's dog and had to burn the dog but it didn't burn properly so they had to put the burned bits in a bag and the lady noticed so they pretended it was barbecue and ate some of the burned dog.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Seinfeld? How old do you think I am?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

The Loin King posted:

Too bad you couldnt do that for a living. You'd be a big star. You'd sell out Madison Square Garden!

:lol::lol::lol:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Cubone posted:

Ah, but my friend, do you see what you've done? You've outlined an expectation of legal knowledge that can't be met by any response to your initial query!

I'm not sure what could have given the impression that I was attempting to raise an objection about the contents of the show itself; I only meant to offer an answer to the topic at hand that I find (as I said) interesting. If you doubt the veracity of my speaking from general knowledge, that's fine. Laudable, in fact!

As you rightly point out, how can I know what was illegal in accordance with every related state law at the time of the episode's production? How can I know how the laws have changed? And, perhaps the most difficult barrier: how can I know how the law in the fiction of the show differs from real world laws?

Yet the very topic of the thread is "crimes against decency" committed by the characters in Seinfeld which were not actually illegal. So I must ask in turn: How can I know what was illegal in accordance with every related state law at the time of an episodes' production? How can I know how the law in the fiction of the show differs from real life laws? How can I know how the laws have changed?
And I must answer: I can't!
But I did see Devin J. Stone, Esq. (whom I've independently verified to my own satisfaction to actually be a practicing attorney in the Washington D.C. area and an adjunct professor at Georgetown Law) talk about it in a YouTube video a few years ago. :tipshat:

Sorry, I lack the time to explore these issues further at this time. And mainly, we've both got rather too serous IMO for posts on a comedy subforum. And I don't live in the U.S., so have limited interest in laws there. And when I see a crime involving a victim, I ring police and report it. Regards to Mr Stone. :)

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

XYZAB posted:

Seinfeld? How old do you think I am?

Don't worry, if you're over 18 I think you'll be safe from him. If you meant the show, isn't it still being repeated on free TV in your area, like it is where I am (and has almost never stopped)?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Bonzo posted:

Pretty sure George would be a registered sex offender by now.

:lol: arguable, yes. Maybe Kramer too, with his animal magnetism he attracted innumerable women, and being so eccentric/half crazy, who knows what he was capable of when the cameras were off...

We will not speak of Jerry.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Jose Oquendo posted:

the Moops did.

THERE'S NO MOOPS!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
the biggest crime in the series was someone naming their daughter Mulva

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

BigBadSteve posted:

Don't worry, if you're over 18 I think you'll be safe from him. If you meant the show, isn't it still being repeated on free TV in your area, like it is where I am (and has almost never stopped)?

Watchseinfeld.net is as good white noise as any

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

BigBadSteve posted:

I was considering having a wank instead, but decided instead to multitask cleaning & fixing & ordering & organizing a few things at home and also post this here thread about an unrelated topic, i.e. not on the subject of wanking so hopefully won't get me probed (heheh, 'probed') or the thread gassed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:stare:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

he freakin loves jacking off to weird stuff

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

bradzilla posted:

he freakin loves jacking off to weird stuff

Who among us

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Smugworth posted:

Who among us

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lol

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

BigBadSteve posted:

I was considering having a wank instead, but decided instead to multitask cleaning & fixing & ordering & organizing a few things at home and also post this here thread about an unrelated topic, i.e. not on the subject of wanking so hopefully won't get me probed (heheh, 'probed') or the thread gassed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BigBadSteve posted:

unless you're a high end lawyer (and if so, why would you be posting here at 3PM on a Sunday?)

its called Due Dilligence op

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
How ironic that the very OP of the crimes against decency thread is banned for crimes against decency.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Funky See Funky Do posted:

How ironic that the very OP of the crimes against decency thread is banned for crimes against decency.

its poetic justice actually

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Sounds like he's read one too many Billy Mumphrey stories.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

3O probed for telling the trump thread he nuts, steve probed for telling the seinfeld thread he doesn’t nut

seems you just can’t win around here

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lol

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hope he burns in hell!!!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

anyone else who can't help but wonder if the shadowy fyad contingent (cabal??) has determined it's time for bigbadsteve to wave "bye bye" to his account?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Bad Purchase posted:

anyone else who can't help but wonder if the shadowy fyad contingent (cabal??) has determined it's time for bigbadsteve to wave "bye bye" to his account?

theyve been plotting his demise for months since that around the forums in 80 days thread. steve haplessly wandered into qcs (where the fyaders have stacked their own) and it seems they recruited seb as a patsy to do their bidding. he fell because he spoke the truth

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Uh the main problem is the frickin Character Evidence Rule. The prosecution isn't allowed to raise evidence about the defendants' characters unless the defence raised the character issue first. Jackie Chiles should have objected to every one of those witnesses and the final episode shouldn't have happened. I guess that's what happens when you hire a civil litigator from New York to handle your criminal defence in Massachusetts?

It's too bad becuase a lot of the show is really good and I think it would be remembered fondly if they had gotten some of that stuff right.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1MBVXkQbWU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Larry Cum Free posted:

Uh the main problem is the frickin Character Evidence Rule. The prosecution isn't allowed to raise evidence about the defendants' characters unless the defence raised the character issue first. Jackie Chiles should have objected to every one of those witnesses and the final episode shouldn't have happened. I guess that's what happens when you hire a civil litigator from New York to handle your criminal defence in Massachusetts?

It's too bad becuase a lot of the show is really good and I think it would be remembered fondly if they had gotten some of that stuff right.

Massachusetts sitcom caselaw says that the prosecution was allowed to raise that evidence due to the inherent depraved indifference of their charges

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

theyve been plotting his demise for months since that around the forums in 80 days thread. steve haplessly wandered into qcs (where the fyaders have stacked their own) and it seems they recruited seb as a patsy to do their bidding. he fell because he spoke the truth

Steve was simply the victim of a huge misunderstanding. You see, whilst not wanking he was eating some salty pretzels, and well, the pretzels were making him thirsty.

great username
Dec 28, 2023

Just caught a rerun of the JIMMY episode, and the conversation Elaine and Jerry have about him potentially being sexually assaulted by his weird dentist (he WAS tucked) is completely cracked. Imagine trying to slip "So you were violated by two people while under the gas, it happens." by as a joke now LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

In a summer YouTube hole once watching a lot of behind the scenes about Curb/Seinfeld and Jerry talking about how he had final say on a plot line, more often than not.

Then someone on the forums brought up his like teenage girlfriend with the big pair, and I was reminded how many episodes revolve around boobs.

Jerry’s definitely a boob freak and the writers knew it. Did they even have an episode about butts other than Fusilli Jerry ?