Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Have you guys heard about this? Apparently Condé Nast is folding Pitchfork Into GQ, with massive layoffs already taking place at the storied music criticism site.

The website earned a reputation for its extensive coverage of alternative and independent music - although it was also often widely maligned, historically for it's so-called "pretentiousness"" and overwrought prose (in fact the front page hilariously parodied this all the way back in 2004 with it's irreverent "Rich Dork Media" article https://www.somethingawful.com/fakesa/richdork/), and more recently for it's embrace of "poptimism". Still, I don't doubt that many a goon can thank the site for opening the door to a world of music and culture that shaped their formative years, and may take the news with a tinge of sadness.

What are your guys thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Pretend I did PITCHFORK into the wizardmaster code square, or possibly pissfork

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

thank you pencilhands, i never would have known about important pitchfork music website shutting down

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Pitchfork intoduced me to a ton of music and their lists are great. It was a bit up its own rear end but made me consider some great albums I never really wouldve given a second look.

Pitchfork got me to listen to "Appetite For Destruction" and stop being a self serious weirdo about music.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/guns-n-roses-appetite-for-destruction/

I havent typed "pitchfork" into a browser in years though because ive gotten admittedly lazy about discovering new music.

Another institution DESTROYED by millenials I guess.

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 21, 2024

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

That’s Nasté

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Bump

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Shut up

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Fartington Butts posted:

That’s Nasté

Nasté boys don't mean a thing

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like the website isn't shutting down, op. You should probably read the article more carefully.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

if you do this again i'm going to get you a wedgie nerd!!!

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

This review sucks

Sex Farm fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 22, 2024

Jan 22, 2024

Wizard Master posted:

Pitchfork is folding Into GQ

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

pencilhands threads never have to be bumped

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Dollar store Pencil Hands

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

dang this thread is chock-full of Mastery

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Pitchfork peaked with that super fuckin weird Kid A review and should have just called it quits after that

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
when they roll pencilhands into wizard master will it become pencilmaster or wizard hands???

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Wizardhands the Pencil Master

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Wizard Hands would be a really good username

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Sex Farm posted:

This review sucks

guns n roses loving sucks and it's wrng t respect people wh0 enjoy them (r0n desantis l0ves GNR) or quote this post to say "oh ok but this guns n roses song is so good blah blah blah" NOPE. They all loving suck and so do all their songs how d0 i get my oo key unstuck oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

kntfkr posted:

guns n roses loving sucks and it's wrng t respect people wh0 enjoy them (r0n desantis l0ves GNR) or quote this post to say "oh ok but this guns n roses song is so good blah blah blah" NOPE. They all loving suck and so do all their songs how d0 i get my oo key unstuck oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I tried playing The Body at parties but everyone left except three guys in black hoodies who dont brush their teeth.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Poohs Packin posted:

I tried playing The Body at parties but everyone left except three guys in black hoodies who dont brush their teeth.

lol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
you gtta play shawn mullins lullaby at parties

get a little mellow, a little funky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG9C0VwruXE

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Whoa black Betty whambalam

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

where will i read what people who hate music have to say about music now though

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
bitchfork

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Why would one criticize music?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Miss Pitchfork if you’re Nasté.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
My opinion is they must have been suffering for a while for this to happen - so owned by conde naste or independent they'd be hosed either way, C'est la vie.

In the last few years the live shows they record for YouTube have had a lot of playtime in the background during dinners, I will miss those.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

How funny is it that ur-elitist independent music snob site got bought out and closed by their parent company

Some of my favorite reviews are

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
RIP to a real one, the only music publication with the balls to give every new album Chris Brown releases a 0/10 on the basis that he beat the poo poo out of Rhianna so gently caress him forever.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The Lateralus review is loving hilarious especially if youve spent enough time around TOOL fans to know how much it would piss them off.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

pencilhands posted:

pencilhands threads never have to be bumped

get 'em pencilhands

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

Any fate that could befall this outlet short of organ harvesting for their glukkon/conde nast overlords is unobjectionable due to this image alone.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I thought this thread was about Musical Luminaries Project Pitchfork and am simultaneously glad that PP still exists, and mad I got suckered into reading this thread.

https://youtu.be/rY9eSzB-KbU?si=wulX-wLFNwdo-7OK

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Elviscat posted:

and mad I got suckered into reading this thread.

Much like getting suckered in to reading a Pitchfork review

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Toxic Mental posted:

How funny is it that ur-elitist independent music snob site got bought out and closed by their parent company

I mean, if u get paid to give honest reviews of what you think of an album, and you do it, isn't that better than just doing dishonest reviews that just exist for the validation of your readers? This point never made sense. Like when Ebert didn't like movies and people would get mad at him over it, like was he supposed to lie? Lol

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

They did a re-review of I Get Wet and it got like an 8.6 or something but begrudgingly.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The Lateralus Review is written from the perspective of a Grade 9 metalhead and lists every single piece of equipment in Danny Careys drum kit.
Masterful.

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Toxic Mental posted:

I don't know the Beck record, but the other reviews are correct.