Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Same. I stopped going to Pitchfork after NMP3s got shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
MrQwerty, I think you might like Big Brave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY0CDcLURRU

RFC
Nov 3, 2002
Pitchfork always did metal dirty. I never liked them for that.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

kntfkr posted:

MrQwerty, I think you might like Big Brave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY0CDcLURRU

Never been able to get into BIG BRAVE or Boris as much as people tell me I should be

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Boris kicks rear end.

RFC posted:

Its because 90% of metal is more concerned with "being metal" than doing anything creative.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Poohs Packin posted:

Boris kicks rear end.

Its because 90% of metal is more concerned with "being metal" than doing anything creative.

Pitchfork has also given quite a lot of metal a fair shake in recent years, also, there's a lot of dedicated metal publications if that's your bag.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

RFC posted:

they were right, it’s objectively the worst genre of music

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

Boris kicks rear end.

Just don't really click. I have that Bongzilla/Boris split
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kI7m90JTps
and I like their cover of Down the Road I Go on that, but I saw Melvins and Boris in October and I still just couldn't click with Boris.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
I generally agreed with every review except like quite often the site was like:

A hiphop album so bad I get secondhand embarrassment? 9/10

The same fey indie girl crap pushed out since the early 2000s? 9/10

Some garbage disposal sounds sold as experimental electronic? 9/10

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Never forget (this is probably the best prog rock album ever made)

Before and after Trent Reznor won an Oscar:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This is the only one I've seen ITT that I disagree with

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I just farted

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

pencilhands posted:

I just farted

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

pencilhands posted:

I just farted

4.2 but it was an amazing effort

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Pitchfork has apparently reviewed multiple Dandy Warhols albums but never Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia? I guess it might have hit too close to home lol

It's so weird what they decide to write up a review for. And the review numbers are pretty useless, absolutely for cross-genre comparisons (an 8 or 9 for an indie album is usually like a 5 or 6 in other genres when they grade stuff), but also for the same genre. Goo by Sonic Youth got 8.5, and Permission to Land by the Darkness ("Thing Called Love" band) is an 8.2 and I don't know what that is supposed to convey.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Bad Purchase posted:

they were right, it’s objectively the worst genre of music
Metal is the anime of music

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

syntaxfunction posted:

Pitchfork has apparently reviewed multiple Dandy Warhols albums but never Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia? I guess it might have hit too close to home lol

It's so weird what they decide to write up a review for. And the review numbers are pretty useless, absolutely for cross-genre comparisons (an 8 or 9 for an indie album is usually like a 5 or 6 in other genres when they grade stuff), but also for the same genre. Goo by Sonic Youth got 8.5, and Permission to Land by the Darkness ("Thing Called Love" band) is an 8.2 and I don't know what that is supposed to convey.

It always felt to me like Pitchfork reviewers were basically scoring albums based how unfamiliar people would be with it and therefore how much they'd get to mansplain about it at the NYC socialite parties they went to when they brought it up.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Froghammer posted:

lol, this

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yeah, that's an epiphany for sure

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Wait til you find out the anime metal bands!

Jan 23, 2024
Dow Jones 38,000

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

metal is way better than anime, also I was the roadie/drum tech for an occasionally costumed stoner metal band based on the Simon Bisley Horned God story from 2000AD's Sláine for seven years

They commissioned Bisley to do their album art, he asked for a copy of the WIP, listened to it, told them it was kickass and then painted a totally-not-Sláine painting

Jan 23, 2024
and all of this is fantastic because the Stock Market continues to close at record breaking highs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Metal shows are great if you enjoy having your lips grazed by a wet ponytail

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

While we're posting reviews, I remember people giving this one props back in the day https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/9464-shine-on/

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
all the "pitchfork" indie music has totally disappeared from public consciousness and thank god it did. Powerfully boring stuff.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

MrQwerty posted:

Never been able to get into BIG BRAVE or Boris as much as people tell me I should be

They are kind of boring. I think I just like anyone who does a split with the body. I also bounced off Boris heavy rocks. But they got some good shirts.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Pitchfrk gave Relationship of Command a 4.0 cuz they were staffed by losers.

https://clickhole.com/disgusting-isis-just-released-a-2-star-review-of-in-t-1825123183/

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

all the "pitchfork" indie music has totally disappeared from public consciousness and thank god it did. Powerfully boring stuff.

Yeah thank god millennials started having families and cant support indie artists anymore.

Good thing weve got TikTok music and Soundcloud microgenres taking its place. Now nobody will be happy, which is what most goons want.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

MrQwerty posted:

Big Business

I always thought Grounds For Divorce would be a great name for a coffee shop

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Aerosmith

5.5 at best

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LOL at the idea of reading the whole thread, but are Wizard Master and penclihands posting enemies now?

Because that rules.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

CaptainSarcastic posted:

LOL at the idea of reading the whole thread, but are Wizard Master and penclihands posting enemies now?

Because that rules.

This town is simply not big enough for the two of them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Poohs Packin posted:

This town is simply not big enough for the two of them.

I wish the town wasn't big enough for one of them.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

kntfkr posted:

Pitchfrk gave Relationship of Command a 4.0 cuz they were staffed by losers.

https://clickhole.com/disgusting-isis-just-released-a-2-star-review-of-in-t-1825123183/

That's wack. Relationship of Command owns and also this hard times article is 100% truth

https://thehardtimes.net/blog/5-post-hardcore-albums-that-just-remind-us-were-not-listening-to-relationship-of-command/

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Saalkin posted:

That's wack. Relationship of Command owns and also this hard times article is 100% truth

https://thehardtimes.net/blog/5-post-hardcore-albums-that-just-remind-us-were-not-listening-to-relationship-of-command/

YES THIS IS A CAMPAIGN
SLITHERED ENTRAILS IN THE CARGO BAY

gonna listen to that on the way to daycare

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I wish the town wasn't big enough for one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ

At least they do something other than constantly whine about other posters

I'd rather read a forum full of nothing but Wizardhands the Pencil Master threads than this poo poo

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 23, 2024

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Froghammer posted:

This tracks. Like, pizza thrash is watching Akira on VHS high as gently caress on a CRT TV and experiencing bliss and everything else is for children or people who are attracted to children.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Odoyle posted:

I always thought Grounds For Divorce would be a great name for a coffee shop

It would be!

There's that Elbow song with the opening lyric of "I've been working on a cocktail called Grounds for Divorce" which has a similar energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Sorry folk punk is the anime of music and I love it