Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Wizard Hands would be a really good username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This is the only one I've seen ITT that I disagree with

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

syntaxfunction posted:

Pitchfork has apparently reviewed multiple Dandy Warhols albums but never Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia? I guess it might have hit too close to home lol

It's so weird what they decide to write up a review for. And the review numbers are pretty useless, absolutely for cross-genre comparisons (an 8 or 9 for an indie album is usually like a 5 or 6 in other genres when they grade stuff), but also for the same genre. Goo by Sonic Youth got 8.5, and Permission to Land by the Darkness ("Thing Called Love" band) is an 8.2 and I don't know what that is supposed to convey.

It always felt to me like Pitchfork reviewers were basically scoring albums based how unfamiliar people would be with it and therefore how much they'd get to mansplain about it at the NYC socialite parties they went to when they brought it up.