Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Toxic Mental posted:

How funny is it that ur-elitist independent music snob site got bought out and closed by their parent company

Some of my favorite reviews are

I don't know the Beck record, but the other reviews are correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Bad Purchase posted:

yep

as long as every kanye album is below 6.9, which i'm confident would the case, the beck rating is likely on point

I'm pretty sure they famously gave MBDTF a 10.

Also, that Andrew W.K. album probably deserved better, but after I was like "yeah, he likes parties alright!" I'm not sure if it warranted repeat headphones listens.

Also, the score for the Tool album should have been Pi to 15 places. A deservedly low score, but also funny.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 22, 2024

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Lmao, okay, that guy major depression.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Poohs Packin posted:

Boris kicks rear end.

Its because 90% of metal is more concerned with "being metal" than doing anything creative.

Pitchfork has also given quite a lot of metal a fair shake in recent years, also, there's a lot of dedicated metal publications if that's your bag.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Froghammer posted:

Metal is the anime of music

This tracks. Like, pizza thrash is watching Akira on VHS high as gently caress on a CRT TV and experiencing bliss and everything else is for children or people who are attracted to children.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I feel like synthwave is the animeist music, but like depressing, 4Channy "anime avatar" anime.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm curious about some of my favourite albums:

10 for Let It Be by The Replacements (re-issue) in 2008. I'm not sure any album is "perfect", but them liking it made sense, especially since by 2008 PF had quit their lovely snotty record-store clerk persona.

9.1 for Your Living All Over Me by Dinosaur Jr in 2005. Ditto, I guess.

I know some of my favourite recent albums were well received by them, so it doesn't feel sporting to look up canon classics and recent critical darlings - let's look at contemporary reviews from their prime period of shittyness, let's go 2000-2002:

Okay, a 10 for Kid A - predictable. It's a great record, but I can see Pitchfork 2000 sniffing farts just because it's alienating.

8.5 for the Argument by Fugazi in 2001. We already know that they did Discovery by Daft Punk dirty that same year.

Honestly, they haven't done my taste particularly dirty, but that probably indicates that I have Pitchfork friendly taste more than anything. I do recall them giving anything that would make them seem "uncool" low marks which reeks of hipster insecurity.

Like, a fairly fun album I still enjoy time to time is "Something to Write Home About" by the Get Up Kids. It got called emo at the time, but honestly sits somewhere between that and power-pop. Pitchfork review:

2.0 in 1999. Just absolute terror that they'd have to cast themselves out of Portland or Brooklyn or wherever.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Lol all of those other albums are way better than Full Collapse

Edit: misread - yeah, 100%

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I tried listening to Full Collapse recently and it just doesn’t hit the same as it once did. Relationship of Command and Yank Crime still fuckin slap though.

Yeah, listening back, it feels closer to Brand New or Taking Back Sunday or something than post-hardcore. Also, that song about native American genocide using that Thu-duh-duh-duh Thu-duh-duh-duh beat feels a bit off.