Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I'm probably one of the few people on this Earth that actually prefers Invisible War to the later sequels by Square.

I quite enjoyed playing Pirates of the Caribbean by Akella when it came out. I guess the closest thing to it would be Mount and Blade but on a boat but with a boat load more problems. I have tried going back to it several times but can never make it passed about an hour. It has not aged well. Having said that very few games have got the feeling of sea travel as well as that game. I think it has something to do with sea cliffs and how all these modern survival on a boat games are just small island beaches.

Dynasty Warriors 3 really isn't a good game and yet it really is. You have to know to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Wrageowrapper posted:

I'm probably one of the few people on this Earth that actually prefers Invisible War to the later sequels by Square.

I'm sad to say that no, you are not. :sigh:

I play Santa Slayer once every Christmas. I still have a bout of multiplayer Santa Slayer on my bucket list.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Duke Nukem Forever. I made it about an hour in before I gave up.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Spider for PSX.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spoke Lee posted:

Spider for PSX.

that was one of my first PS1 games and that was a frustratingly hard game

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Rise of the Robots.
It looked really cool in gaming magazine screenshots but the game was so clunky and insubstantial and in mulitplayer, player 1 could only play as the cyborg.

duddits
Dec 22, 2009
Vagrant Story for ps1. What a pointless confusing jerkoff of a game.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Horsebanger posted:

Sword of the Stars 2.

The game released roughly... 30% feature complete I'd say. The AI doesn't actually exist they will always bankrupt themselves.

Same genre, Master of Orion 3. I played the poo poo out of Master of Orion 2, the third game had all those cool design concepts about how to run a 4X different. I bought that poo poo on release, as a wild-eyed teen not willing to believe the somewhat publicly discussed train wreck of their design "process" could be that bad.

The game is a non-functional mess. This was back in the day of gigantic paper manuals and everything, but the game doesn't really explain to you what everything does or why it is breaking down, the ideas behind "not micromanaging" and having a lot of stuff sort of happen on its own, it if does happen at all, doesn't really parse into engaging game-play. They had all these cool alien races, but the diplomatic system is convoluted and confusing. I really wanted to like this, but it's just Bad. :eng99:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Death Stranding

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Breath of the Wild

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Keen Dreams is carried by its charming graphics, despite being worse in every other category compared to the The Universe is Toast trilogy.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
dota2

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

this. played like 25 hours of this poo poo

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I have hundreds of hours in Mortal Online, carried mainly by the crafting system.

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
Recore for Xbox. The game is actually kind of fun, you’re plunked down in the middle of a failed mission to a far away planet, inhabited only by the robots that were sent ahead to terraform it to get ready for the human arrival, which never happened save for a handful of people that made it to the planet. All the robots have a core, which can be extracted and used to upgrade three buddy robots.

Then in the middle/end game, the developers made the baffling decision to have a checkpoint to get to the final area/boss where you have to do a minimum amount of core upgrade collection. The early game is designed like it’s an optional fetch quest upgrade system and then the developers decided “No, not like that, stupid! Play like this!” Completely ruins what would otherwise be a 7/10 game.

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Breath of the Wild

I know Zelda fans have written 10,000 words on the internet about how the weapon breakage system is actually cool and good and refreshing, but I hate it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MoonshineWilly posted:

Recore for Xbox. The game is actually kind of fun, you’re plunked down in the middle of a failed mission to a far away planet, inhabited only by the robots that were sent ahead to terraform it to get ready for the human arrival, which never happened save for a handful of people that made it to the planet. All the robots have a core, which can be extracted and used to upgrade three buddy robots.

Then in the middle/end game, the developers made the baffling decision to have a checkpoint to get to the final area/boss where you have to do a minimum amount of core upgrade collection. The early game is designed like it’s an optional fetch quest upgrade system and then the developers decided “No, not like that, stupid! Play like this!” Completely ruins what would otherwise be a 7/10 game.

Iirc the re-release they did of it removed that. I didnt make it far enough to find out though

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

I'm still of the opinion that Brawl is the most fun smash bros game. Slipping is a good mechanic! The whole point of the game is to have fun with friends, and brawl did a great job of giving even "bad" players a chance to win occasionally. Other entries on the series, the best player will win pretty much 100% of the time, but brawl gives poo poo players that beautiful chance of victory every now and then when they get the smash ball and their wave dashing try hard opponent slips and falls right on their rear end ready to get hit.

We played a hell of a lot of it in college. One of my friends went pro with the newer games. We met up at a tournament once and I was introduced to a few famous players and they were mostly the weirdest most unapproachable dudes I've ever met that took the game waaaaay too seriously.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
ET on the Atari. I think that game gave me the Intermittent Explosive Disorder I live with for all of my days.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
Ultima 9. I remember getting like 2 FPS running through Britian at the start but still played almost all the way through that piece of poo poo

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Mission Impossible on N64

I still think that banquet/party level is pretty cool

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Extra Large Marge posted:

I still think that banquet/party level is pretty cool

It might be good fun if someone cloned it in one of the modern Hitman games.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I have played Too Human to completion.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My dentist's daughter hung out at his office when she got off school and the two of us constantly played The Lion King for SNES since she got it as a gift for Christmas. We could never get past the stupid monkey level.

At the time everyone called this game a masterpiece but I think as adults we've all come to the collective realization that none of us made it more than 2 or 3 levels in.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Aramis posted:

Man I was so excited for this game before it came out because of how drat good Eternal Darkness was and then they deliver the big fart that was Too Human. Awful.

Luckily I played it at a buddies and didn't endure more then was necessary to realize it was bad.

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

My dentist's daughter hung out at his office when she got off school and the two of us constantly played The Lion King for SNES since she got it as a gift for Christmas. We could never get past the stupid monkey level.

At the time everyone called this game a masterpiece but I think as adults we've all come to the collective realization that none of us made it more than 2 or 3 levels in.

Disney had that run of games based on animated movies that was really hit or miss. I played a ton of the Aladdin game on SNES, which I thought was great, but apparently the Genesis version was horrible. I remember the lion king game being really frustrating.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

MoonshineWilly posted:

Disney had that run of games based on animated movies that was really hit or miss. I played a ton of the Aladdin game on SNES, which I thought was great, but apparently the Genesis version was horrible. I remember the lion king game being really frustrating.

The gensis version was great and I played it a lot.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
^ ^ ^ The rumor is that the monkey level was purposely made so difficult so that kids couldn't beat it just from a weekend rental, and would have to go out and buy it. ^ ^ ^

I sunk hundreds of hours, I'm sure, into Civilization: Call to Power in the late 90's. Compared to both the official* Civ releases before and after (Civ II and Civ III) it was worse in almost every way, but it was the newest one at the time, and I spend good money on it, so why would I go back to Civ II?

But it was pretty awful. Every wonder from the first two games was gone, they were all new and IIRC most of them were most esoteric than actual big BUILDINGS or projects. I distinctly remember one of them was The Emancipation Proclamation.

I think most city improvements were still there, but I can't remember.

The worst part was it was very easy to get "soft-locked". There was a unit called the Lawyer. It was part of a special class of non-military units that were normally invisible unless you had certain other units )I think maybe a Spy?) or certain buildings. But if you didn't advance far enough to have those units or buildings, you could never see an enemy Lawyer. The Lawyer had a unique ability called "File Injunction," or something similar. It was evil. It paused all construction that the city targeted for a turn. It might not be so bad if that skill had NO COOLDOWN. So you could sneak a bunch of lawyers into enemy territory, one for each city, then every turn thereafter just keep filing injunctions and nothing will get built by your opponent.

Or, in my case, nothing was built by ME because the computer player knew and abused this strategy.

The only way to get out of that scenario is hope you have both 1) The right tech already discovered (or will discover soon) to build a unit that can see invisible units and 2) Enough money to buy at least one of them to spot the lawyer and stop him.

*Saying "official" since I guess there's a whole rigmarole on whether Activision was even allowed to make a Civilization game. Sid Meir wasn't involved, IIRC, and it's no surprise the direct sequel to it was JUST called "Call to Power 2" with the Civ name scrubbed from it.

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

MoonshineWilly posted:

I loved Aladdin for the Genesis. Fantasia is the worst; seems like Sega and Disney learned their lesson after that turd; Castle/World of Illusion was really good.

Burns
May 10, 2008

While not a bad game by any means, the design decision to add jumping puzzles ruined Doom Eternal for me. Mostly because it ruined the flow pf the game, especially when Doom 2016 was such a banger. If there was a portal or way to just skip the puzzle sections i might actually play it again.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Devils Affricate posted:

I actually played through and fully beat Biomutant. It was so bad that it was actually kind of fascinating.

what? people didn't like biomutant? that game is awesome

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

Seven Force posted:

I loved Aladdin for the Genesis. Fantasia is the worst; seems like Sega and Disney learned their lesson after that turd; Castle/World of Illusion was really good.

Whoops! I should add that a game I played that was bad was Awesome Possum Kicks Dr. Machino's Butt for the Sega Genesis. Really should have figured out the quality of the game from the name alone but i was like eight or ten or something. Holy poo poo that game. It's the only game i've even played in my life where I got unwell looking at it in motion for extended periods. I had always seen warnings about that in game manuals, but thought that was only for people with medical conditions. It's painfully clear that hey wanted this to be "Sonic, but an environmentalist" so bad, but lacked the skill to pull it off. You can barely control him normally, and even less so once he's in the air. You're constantly getting hit by everything because they learned level design at the same school that wants you to tighten up the graphics on level three. The main character also won't shut the gently caress up. Say what you want about Bubsy but as far as I can remember his quips where just at the beginning of the stage, and that's about it. Even as a lame, braindead kid I thought "drat this really sucks". Don't buy Awesome Possum. My final message. Goodbye~

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Bionic Commando (2009) was a goddamned blast in spite of its atrocious plot and it's a travesty that its failure essentially killed-off GRIN before the studio had a real opportunity to become a powerhouse:

The blue radiation zones were garbage, though

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I played a lot of Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde on Nes when I was a kid. Game is a legend for being bad.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

ChickenHeart posted:

Bionic Commando (2009) was a goddamned blast in spite of its atrocious plot and it's a travesty that its failure essentially killed-off GRIN before the studio had a real opportunity to become a powerhouse:

The blue radiation zones were garbage, though

It's a real shame too. Bionic Commando ReArmed was outstanding.

e: This whole era of Capcom's misguided attempts at capturing the western market on its own terms is filled with fascinating failures.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 22, 2024

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I got the 7th Saga for a birthday when I was a kid after reading about it in Nintendo Power. It's okay for a jrpg, which aren't really my thing these days, but after dozens of hours I ended up towards the end of the game where I wasn't strong enough to handle any of the random encounters and plot reasons meant I couldn't go back to an easier area, so I just was hosed.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I played through the PS1 port of Chrono Trigger multiple times.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Aramis posted:

Lol, I loved Too Human, I played it to completion and then like New Game++++++ or whatever. It scratched an itch for Norse mythology (but uh. robots), and a funky rear end controller scheme

You basically got indestructible after a short time, but it was a good mindless time waster.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

GTA 4

I know it's cliche but getting a phonecall to go bowling when I'm trying to shake off a 4 star wanted level one too many times I just quit and uninstalled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Valko posted:

GTA 4

I know it's cliche but getting a phonecall to go bowling when I'm trying to shake off a 4 star wanted level one too many times I just quit and uninstalled it.

i dont think gta 4 is notoriously bad. it's not even considered bad by gta standards