Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Slaan posted:

Ah, I see the plan for the game coming together:

1. Attack and Dethrone God
2. ????
3. Excellent strawberry pie, mmmmm!

Apparently, the Pope had the same idea, only his step 3 is:

3. Eternally purge anyone who isn't a useful tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
Update 13: A Witch! Just Like Me!

As per semi-usual, starting out with training – in this case rooftop meditation, an MP-booster where you write a balance on top of your house as the wind tries to push you off from time to time. Not falling off doesn’t take too much effort, but the margins for getting a perfect are pretty tight and I usually don’t bother trying it more than once.

PIEBERRY: Ralph!

RALPH: I've sent the warriors the wrong way, but I'd advise you against crossing the Lalaque Bridge to the east for a while. Since your arrival, Lalaque Village has become much more heavily guarded. I've also seen an even stronger palace warrior heading to Lalaque Village.

PIEBERRY: Wow... Even stronger than the blonde woman I fought before?

RALPH: His name is Justice. He's blonde, too. Avoid him at all costs.

PIEBERRY: So Lalaque Village to the east is dangerous? Okay, I'll be careful. Now, more importantly... Where did you get that pie you gave me before?

RALPH: The pie maker in Lalaque Village.

PIEBERRY: Lalaque Village!? ...Can you go get more for me?

RALPH: Hmm, I'm not sure I can meet the pie maker again. She's got some things going on. Forgive me. I'm not sure when we'll be able to get you more pie.

PIEBERRY: Hmph! I risked my life to come out into the human world...!

RALPH: Then... How about trying this instead?

PIEBERRY: Wow! Fresh strawberries! These are so much better than dried ones!

RALPH: If you go west, you can find Boar Plain, where these strawberries grow. But it's also full of boars, hence the name. So if they catch you picking strawberries, you'll be in trouble.

PIEBERRY: That's okay, I'm not afraid of boars!

BLACK JOE: The mother of Boar Junior you caught lives on that plain.

PIEBERRY: Really? Then why don't we just take Boar Junior with us?

BLACK JOE: You'd better watch out for the mother, she'll able to recognize you by smell.

PIEBERRY: I can just mind control the mother too!

BLACK JOE: I feel sorry for this boar family...

PIEBERRY: You're the one who kidnapped a boar to eat. Better to be a servant than a meal.

RALPH: If you're going to Boar Plain, may I ask you to collect Boar Captain's Tooth for me? I'll make sure you're well rewarded.

PIEBERRY: Boar Captain's Tooth? Why?

RALPH: Warriors need them to enhance their equipment.

PIEBERRY: Then why would I give it to you!?

RALPH: Because I'll give you a big reward. Are you not interested? Even if they get better equipment, won't you still be stronger than them?

PIEBERRY: Ugh…

RALPH: I'll be waiting for the Boar Captain's Tooth!

Our destination is just a short hop west.

PIEBERRY: Wow, look at all these little boars! This must be Boar Plain!

BLACK JOE: Hmm, but strawberry season is almost over... Will we even find any??

PIEBERRY: But the ones Ralph have me [sic] were still fresh? Let's look anyway!

Nearly every encounter in this area is just another knot of boars. They’re are a little stronger than our pet was, but that means nothing in the face of :science:. The first of the two exceptions sits at the west end of the area.

Lalaque Villager: Oh, another wheel...

Mid-Rank Palace Warrior: We came looking for you because you took so long... Did your wagon break again? We're not here to fix wagons. Can you not you do basic maintenance on your own?

Lalaque Villager: Can't you guys pull your own wagons? With a better wagon, I can make my deliveries even faster! But since you guys keep delivering stuff to Vavelia Village, there's no way the wagon won't get damaged!

Mid-Rank Palace Warrior: You ungrateful little... We protect you from witches!

Lalaque Villager: I'm more likely to die at your hands than that of a witch!

PIEBERRY: Looks like things are tense. Hey there, warriors!

Mid-Rank Palace Warrior W-W-Witch!!

Remember the mid-rank Palace warrior that gave us some trouble several updates back? The low level warriors around him are trash, but she at least has buckets of hit points and a respectable Defense. Unfortunately, he just doesn’t put out enough damage to keep up with me, especially with Life Flower constantly boosting my HP.

Lalaque Villager: Hahaha! Look at those cowards

PIEBERRY: Are you not scared with me being this close?

Lalaque Villager: I'm on the verge of starvation. I've got bigger worries than witches. How long are these warriors going to keep this witch hunt of going? [sic] It's been over a decade since the Spring War ended! Why do we have to keep sending them supplies?

PIEBERRY: It seems like you don't get along with the warriors.

Lalaque Villager: How could I? Take what you want from the wagon, it's too broken to take back with me anyway.

PIEBERRY: What do you have in there? Forget it. They're all useless to me.

Lalaque Villager: How about this? It's equipment for a low-rank warrior, but it might be of some use in battle.

PIEBERRY: Okay, I'll take it!

We just received our first shield and pair of boots, letting us fill out our primary equipment slots. I think I mentioned this already, but equipment doesn’t come by often in this game, so the modest but respectable stat boosts these give to our Defense and Agility will be sticking around for a while.

Actually, before we hit the next exception, it occurs to me I lied to you in the OP. I didn’t mean it, I was just misremembering something from the game. As it turns out, you cannot ride your pet boar into a flower patch.

You can totally ride it into a strawberry patch, though.

PIEBERRY: There are crushed strawberries scattered all over the place.

BLACK JOE: The boars must have nibbled on them and then left them behind.

PIEBERRY: Hmm, maybe there are still some fresh strawberries that the boars haven't touched yet... Strawberries, strawberries, where are you~?

LUNA: Eek!

PIEBERRY: …Ahh!

LUNA: Wh-Who are you?!

PIEBERRY: A-Ahh! It's a witch! A witch! Just like me!

LUNA: A witch!? Me?

PIEBERRY: ...How are you not a witch? We have similar skin... and you have a lot of magic!

LUNA: Huh!? Get out of my way. I'm trying to find strawberries!

PIEBERRY: You haven't found any yet either?

BLACK JOE: Hmm, I guess strawberry season really is over.

LUNA: Huh?

PIEBERRY: Hmph...! Then why did Ralph tell me to come here!

???: Grrrr…

BLACK JOE: Looks like we've trespassed on the boar captain's territory.

PIEBERRY: Woooow! That's one's a lot bigger than the boar I have!

LUNA: But why is it so angry!?

PIEBERRY: Hehe, well...

BLACK JOE: We...have a little history with it. She probably smelled her child on you too. And...she also saw me kidnapping a boar too! We can't really blame her for not being happy to see us...

LUNA: It's bad enough I can't find any strawberries, now I'm stuck with this weird kid!

PIEBERRY: Are you scared? I'll help get you out of here!

LUNA: I'm not scared! Get out of my way!

Time to get ourselves some bacon. While the Boar Captain hits relatively hard, the fight itself is just another clash with a strong enemy and several week enemies. Only three things set it apart. The first is the subtlest; all the boars are lined up just so that a good lightning spell can chain between every enemy at once, a gentle reminder if you now have lightning magic at your disposal.

Also, you may have noticed the game unsummoned our boar companion for the cutscene. If we bring him back in, we get a visible reaction from the enemies, the first time I’ve seen the game do this. I think it might slightly increase their Strength, not that it matters much.

Finally, we have Luna.

In another game, Luna would’ve qualified as a temporary party member; here, she functions as a sort of auxiliary pet, not counting against your summon limit but not something you can dismiss, either. She launches a very respectable area attack that and more than kill ordinary boars and slows down any survivors. We could have handled these guys on our own, but for help probably cost us a trip to one of those healing crystals.

While it didn’t occur to me to follow up on this until after the fight, I don’t think Pieberry was right when she said we could mind control the mother; I never got the pop-up telling me I could, pets rarely show up in plot battles without a chance to recruit them later, and with Luna spamming ice attacks, the odds of getting off a successful mind control spell before it dies are vanishingly low. I can’t tell you whether or not we’ll see a Boar Captain spawn on the map later, but I’ll keep an eye out on future visits just in case.

LUNA: Woohoo! We won!

PIEBERRY: Hehe! I'm so thrilled! We made it together!

LUNA: Wait... W-We? To-Together?! Stop making [sic] nonsense! Hmph!

PIEBERRY: She left... She's the first witch I've ever met! Did you see the magic she was using?

BLACK JOE: Ice magic is more difficult to wield than fire magic. It's less destructive, but it slows down the opponent. That girl... I've felt her magic before, but I can't remember where.

PIEBERRY: I can't let the first other witch I've ever seen just leave! Let's follow her!

BLACK JOE: Judging by her outfit, she must be headed for the Snow Field. If you go there without special equipment, you'll turn into an ice cube.

PIEBERRY: Really? Why would she go to such a cold place?

BLACK JOE: Humans can't go there, so it's a good place to hide. But where could she possibly stay while there...? Aha! Now that I think about it, I recognize her from somewhere.

PIEBERRY: Huh?

BLACK JOE: Let's go back to Ralph and get some gold.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Since this is technically...a remake of the first game? It would be prudent to note that Luna is the protagonist of the 2nd installment, so if you are wondering what's up with her, your best bet would be to check that one out.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Regallion posted:

Since this is technically...a remake of the first game? It would be prudent to note that Luna is the protagonist of the 2nd installment, so if you are wondering what's up with her, your best bet would be to check that one out.

I just thought she was tsun. :syoon:

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
With all the [sic] tags getting thrown around, I’m guessing we’re getting to the point where the script didn’t get too many editing passes for the English TL.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
There are a few fairly odd translation choices, yes. I'll probably bring up the one I find the most baffling when we get to it.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

CullenDaGaDee posted:

With all the [sic] tags getting thrown around, I’m guessing the script didn’t get editing passes for the English TL.

Fixed that for you.

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 15, 2024

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Honestly I don’t think the translation has been all that bad up to this point, I can easily see the game just having a blunt and basic writing style in any language. The increasing typos as it goes on is just pretty funny to me.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Honestly I don’t think the translation has been all that bad up to this point, I can easily see the game just having a blunt and basic writing style in any language. The increasing typos as it goes on is just pretty funny to me.

I swear the first time I played this I didn’t notice anything wrong, but :shrug:

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 14: No, I Mean I Did a Great Job Requesting This

The game takes a moment to kindly remind us we can warp to any major teleportation circle as long as it doesn’t have us ensnared in some other mechanics; we even get a neat animation where, like I mentioned earlier, we route ourselves through our house to our true destination.

PIEBERRY: Here's your Boar Captain's Tooth!

RALPH: Great job!

PIEBERRY: I'm pretty impressive, right?

RALPH: No, I mean I did a great job requesting this. This will help me make a decent trade.

PIEBERRY: Eh… Next time, you'll pay me in fresh strawberries, not useless gold!

RALPH: Pfft, you still don't really understand what gold is good for, do you?

BLACK JOE: Oh, this grassy smell...? Did you get it from Kreytes?

PIEBERRY: Kreytes? What's that?

BLACK JOE: Leaves and grass roots that fall from Kreytes, a kind of demon that lives in the northwest of the continent. For humans, they're just normal herbal medicine, but for witches, they're a special kind of medicine that boosts both magic and strength.

PIEBERRY: Wow! So if I have enough gold, I can increase my magic without needing to train?

RALPH: Exactly! So if I ever ask you for anything, you should scour the continent to bring it back to me! By the way, I hear they've relaxed security around Lalaque. No one heard anything more about your whereabouts, so it seems they withdrew the royal palace warriors.

PIEBERRY: Really? Can we go find pie maker now then?

RALPH: That's fortunate. I have a few things I need done in Lalaque.

BLACK JOE: Even if security has been eased, I think we should forget about the village.

RALPH: Why? The warriors in Lalaque Village are no match for this girl. But…

PIEBERRY: But…?

RALPH: That Justice I was telling you about is still there. As long as you avoid him, you should be fine.

PIEBERRY: It's okay! If there's any danger, I can just teleport home!

BLACK JOE: What kind of warrior would stand idly by and let a witch teleport away?

PIEBERRY: Fine, fine. Let's just hurry up and find pie maker!

With his first mission completed we now gain access to Ralph, the only merchant of note in the game.

He has a bunch of material orders we can fill by beating up various monsters and bringing him the spoils, a good source of craftables and rare equipment. We’ll be filling most of these out as we go ahead, but pale in comparison to his main function.

Ralph is the primary source of our fourth and final level up method: stat-boosting items. We’ve actually collected a bunch of these as we ran through the first chapter and I’ve been using them offscreen, but most of those are one time rewards from chests or fights and the rest use up valuable high-level crafting materials you could use for weapon evolutions or spell creation. Ralph, however, sells us as many as we need, hands out even more as we fulfill his requests, and will even buy outdated crafting materials and equipment off us so we can buy even more. That’s the good part. The bad part is that’s all he sells (no weapon or armor shops here), plus he charges us through the nose for them. Gold doesn’t come easy in this game; we get it by defeating warriors and selling off spare items, but gathering that gold takes enough grinding and respawn-camping to make anything more than occasional purchases a pain in the rear end. And yet, stat items are probably the best way of boosting our combat capacity around: more controllable than training, faster than combat leveling, and less fiddly than weapon evolution. We’ll be spending a lot of time with this guy.

Speaking of which, I feel I’ve been neglecting mechanics a bit. WitchSpring R is very plot driven, but there’s a bunch of mechanical stuff I’ve been ignoring. We just hit a lull before a new plot arc kicks off, so I think I’ll spend a little time with a roundup of side content.

Almost all of that side content is dungeon content I moved past in previous updates. For instance, we last fought these Black Puddings a dozen updates ago and they ate us for breakfast. Now, nobody in this first dungeon is anything like a threat. Even that mass of monsters we saw in the background when we first encountered Alfredo go down in a few hits.

Behind them hides a chest with a new crafting recipe. Sticky Bombs work like those stat boost items but in reverse, decreasing the agility of every enemy on the field. It only takes one turn for Black Joe to deploy them, but in the kind of fight where I’m throwing around items, I usually don’t have room for a bomb between all the healing items I need him handling, so I’ll probably forget this recipe exists.

In the golem cave we can find this guy. He’s big, intimidating, has a cool attack where he shoots lasers at us then rotates his head and blasts us again, and he’s not very dangerous. He does, however, drop blank slabs, the same kind our spells are carved into. You need to farm this guy in order to unlock and upgrade spells later on.

On the other end of the utility scale sits these fuckers, who I think I showed back when we first visited this cave. They hit hard, sure, but the real issue lies in how they drain something like 100 MP every time they hit you, making taking them down a dangerous and expensive opposition. I don’t remember what their drops do, but I do remember it wasn’t much, and it’s not like their den leads anywhere.

Once we get to the fire cave, the game unlocks a new mechanic for us. Before fighting any encounter you’ve already beaten, the game compares your Magic and Agility to the highest HP and Agility in the enemy group, respectively. If you come out higher on both stats, the game activates Quick Hunt: press the button and Pieberry will shoot lethal fireballs at every enemy, autowinning the encounter for a small MP cost per head. Combat and get repetitive in WitchSpring R, especially against weaker foes, so a nice autobattle function fits like a glove and makes grinding significantly easier.

You remember the swamp where we finally tracked down Black Joe? You remember the fork where there were a couple parties of big and little frogs? Both of those paths lead to hidden areas, and both of those hidden areas hide the worst puzzle in the game. You have to get across the shallow waters by hopping between the tiny islands, but swarms of piranhas that move way faster than you will come and eat you (read: send you back to the shore) if they catch you in the water. To get past them, you have to pick up the rocks on the shore and hurl them far enough into the water that you can get to the right islands before the piranhas make it back from investigating. The margins are painfully tight and, since we don’t have camera controls, we can’t always see how far the rock actually goes and therefore can’t predict how long we have before the piranhas get back. I loving hate this puzzle, I always warp back to my house and walk all the way back to the fork instead of doing the puzzle in reverse to get back across.

The left branch hides this optional boss, a big rear end frog that shoots fireballs at you. It’s huge, tough, and its fireballs can take off half your health bar, but it’s very, very slow. Taking it down means the game of rocket tag, but that’s nothing we can’t handle at our current level.

The right branch leads to a version of the rock puzzle we can’t complete yet. Not only are the islands spaced farther apart, we have significantly more islands to move between then we have rocks to throw, so we have to risk skipping islands just to make it safely to the other side. I could not figure out a way across. Later on we’ll get pets that move a lot faster than our dear Boar Junior, so I think we have to wait until then. gently caress you piranhas :argh:

But I save the biggest, heartiest gently caress yous for the Giant Wampleaf. Sitting at the midpoint between the two paths, this encounter drops everything we need to upgrade our staff again. We’ve got two pets, Black Joe, and enough magic to trivialize nearly every fight we’ve been in, that should be enough, right?

loving wrong. It isn’t enough that the big flower hits like a derailing freight train and its little buddies tank hits like you wouldn’t believe. Every attack in this encounter poisons you a little more until every turn you’re taking more than half your base health bar in damage and there’s nothing you can do about it. I don’t think it’s mathematically possible for me to beat this guy yet; I tried everything I could think of and the best I could do was take out the smaller flowers before the poison finally pulled me under. I know I’ve kind of been going :smugjones: at nearly every encounter, but this game always has a real challenge hidden away somewhere and it’s worth driving that home.

With all the time I’ve wasted dodging piranhas and getting beaten up by plant life, we managed to save up two whole training charges. Fortunately, I saved the best for last. Shooting practice specifically boosts Magic and works like a shooting gallery: the bunnies gradually hop towards you and you chuck fireballs at them to knock them out. However, the fireballs have a pronounced arc, and the rabbits hop high enough that casually-aimed shots usually won’t land. The minigame strikes a nice balance between challenge and efficiency, easily the most engaging of the trainings without ever overstaying its welcome.

And speaking of welcome, we have now seen all possible trainings. From now on I’ll be spending training charges in the background, either grinding specific stats or just using the autotrain function; I’ll show off every level up, but we’re done with that part of the LP. I’m almost out of fundamental mechanical exposition: time we really started engaging with plot.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Falconier111 posted:

I swear the first time I played this I didn’t notice anything wrong, but :shrug:

I don't know that there's anything strictly wrong so much as I think there are a few odd choices here and there, though so far only one has really stood out to me. Granted, part of this may just be my own particular understanding of a term that will come up later, but contextually, it seems like a very strange choice to apply it how the game does to me, so I've just been rolling with it being an overly literal translation that would be better represented in English by something else.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 15: Take This Helmet, Supreme Warrior!

The new OST I was linking to went down without a trace. Back to the old, incomplete one.

:negative:

Anyway, east of Ralph we find a bridge.

RED HAWK: Hi there, I'm Red Hawk. But I'm sure you've already heard of me, right?

PIEBERRY: Hi! I'm Pieberry! But... Red Hawk? This is my first time hearing that name. But I'll make sure to remember you now!

RED HAWK: Haha, you must be new to Lalaque then, huh, friend?

PIEBERRY: Wow~ I've never had anyone call me friend before! Yay! Are you not you scared of me?

RED HAWK: Haha! Why would I be scared of a little girl? Pieberry... What a cute name!

PIEBERRY: Phew! I'll just get straight to it then. Do you know where I can find the local pie baker?

RED HAWK: Umm, I'm not sure...

PIEBERRY: Really...? Then I'll have to find them myself! See you around, friend!

PIEBERRY: Huh? Hey, friend! Get out of the way! Let me through!

RED HAWK: Haha, actually... I've been having a little money trouble recently. Can you lend me some gold? Friends should help each other, don't you think?

PIEBERRY: Oh, you are? That's not good! How much do you need?

RED HAWK: About... 100,000? If that's too much, just give me everything you have on you.

PIEBERRY: ...What?

BLACK JOE: Master, I think this man is a highwayman.

PIEBERRY: A highwayman? I've read about those in books! What did it say about them...?

BLACK JOE: They grab people in the street and rob them of everything they have.

PIEBERRY: What!? That's not very nice!

RED HAWK: Hey! That's no way to talk about a friend. You want me to teach you a lesson?

RED HAWK: is our first flunky boss: he periodically spawns those walking bombs, which after a turn or two wander over to us and blow up for significant damage. They aren’t terribly hearty and you can take them down with a few solid hits, but in a situation like this, that’s a waste of time.

All flunky bosses kill their spawned enemies the moment they go down; you can see that bomb dropping from full to zero in the image. Best practice for these fights is usually killing just enough flunkies who keep incoming damage under control and take the spawner down as quickly as possible.

RED HAWK: How is this kid so strong?! I won't forget this, Pieberry! You'll rue the day you crossed the Flying Squirrel Bandits!

PIEBERRY: Wow... He just flew away!

BLACK JOE: What kind of clothes allow you to fly?

PIEBERRY: I guess the word 'friend' doesn't mean so much in the outside world...

BLACK JOE: You can't always trust what books say. Especially in the human world. This is a world of deceit and trickery.

PIEBERRY: Well, I won't let anyone else fool me! Let's go find the pie maker!

WitchSpring R OST / BGM - Lalaque

PIEBERRY: So this is Lalaque Forest. It smells different than the forest I grew up in!

BLACK JOE: There's a lot of berries here, and a lot of humans. We should be careful not to be seen...

PIEBERRY: Oh! A human! Are you a pie maker?!

Male Lalaque Villager: Eek! A witch!!

PIEBERRY: Ugh, they ran away... How will we find any clues...?

BLACK JOE: It's dangerous to stay in human territory too long. We need to look around quickly and get going!

PIEBERRY: I've come all this way. I'm not leaving until I find the pie maker!

BLACK JOE: That's not the way to the village. You won't find the pie maker there.

Lalaque Forest is a big area, almost as large everything we could reach before we defeated Balt if you count its connected dungeons, so the game very carefully stonewalls you every time you try to enter a new subarea it doesn’t want you exploring yet. We’re at the point where the in game hints stop just feeding you where to go next, so while having your movement constrained like this is pretty annoying, it does encourage you to try figuring things out for yourself instead of just following hints. Either way, we’re in the central hub of the forest, which branches out in several directions from a large riverbank hiding a familiar face.

ALFREDO: Ah! A witch!

PIEBERRY: Ah! A stupid warrior!

:iceburn:

ALFREDO: A-At least you saved me the time of needing to find you! I won't lose this time!

PIEBERRY: ...Are you sure? You're shaking pretty badly.

ALFREDO: Y-Yes I'm sure! I've trained so much, you're no match for me!

His stats are exactly the same as last time.

PIEBERRY: You've got a lot of pies, don't you? I'm looking forward to this!

The witch found a bag full of pies.

PIEBERRY: Wow! The pie is so warm! I'm looking forward to this!

ALFREDO: Oh... Oh no! My mom just baked that pie fresh...

PIEBERRY: It... It's delicious! This is the best pie I've ever eaten! Your mom is the best! Is your mom the pie maker!?

ALFREDO: Just you wait! I'll come back stronger next time!

PIEBERRY: Let's follow him! We might find the pie maker sooner than we think!

Lalaque Forest is crawling with warriors – not just the swordsmen we’ve been fighting, but archers that trade survivability for poisoning you a bit with every hit. They’re no Wampflowers, though, and this one drops Leather Armor with more than double the stats of our old T-shirt. If we ignore where Alfredo ran off to, we can head due east to the village directly.

PIEBERRY: Hmm, this must be the entrance to the village. It's hard to get in from the front.

Didn’t work. Off to the southwest, across a bridge and into a new area.

PIEBERRY: Huh? Is that a dog? I've seen something like that in a book!

BLACK JOE: It's a wild dog. They can be quite a nuisance.

PIEBERRY: Well, at least there's only one of them.

BLACK JOE: I'm sure its pack is nearby.

DAVID: Warriors! Charge!

Novel: We will slay the evil beast! We won't let you run away this time!

Brida: We've got the legendary helm and blade! You better watch out!

PIEBERRY: Huh? Why aren't those kids afraid?

BLACK JOE: Looks like they're playing... But what do they expect to do against a wild dog?

Wild Dog: Grrrrrrr!!

DAVID: Flame! Of! Justiiiiiice!!

BLACK JOE: ...Smoke bombs?! Where did kids get that!?

DAVID: Urk!

Novel: Legendary warrior! Are you okay!

DAVID: I took a few hits... But l, the Legendary Warrior, will never die. Trust me! Hyah! Resurrection!

Lalaque Village Boys: Wooooow!!

DAVID: Looks like the demon got away! I'll catch it next time!

Wild Dog: Grr...

Novel: Oh...What...?

Brida: David... Smoke bomb... Hurry...

DAVID: That was the last one...!

The wild dogs are just barely strong enough that I can’t drop them with basic melee attacks. The only notable thing about them is their animation: they occasionally shiver and which in ways that really visibly communicate how starving they must be.

Lalaque Village Boys: Wow! She beat up the wild dogs!

Novel: The Supreme Warrior!

PIEBERRY: Warrior!? Where?!

Novel: You! You defeated the wild dogs! You're the Supereme [sic] Warrior!

Brida: Take this helmet, Supreme Warrior!

PIEBERRY: You want me to wear your helmet? I refuse! And I'm not a warrior! I'm Pieberry!

DAVID: I've never seen anyone turn down the title of Supreme Warrior before! Well if you don't want the helmet, I'll keep it for myself!

PIEBERRY: Sure, if you like.

DAVID: Do you want some smoke bombs at least? I have more at home!

BLACK JOE: That could be useful... But why do kids have them?

Brida: Here, take this pie we were going to eat!

PIEBERRY: Well I can't say no to pie... But isn't this stale? It's a little dry... But I'll eat it anyway!

The witch took a bite of the pie the child gave her.

PIEBERRY: Huh? W-What...!

DAVID: Delicious, right?!

PIEBERRY: I wasn't expecting much, but it's so good! It's even better than the pie I took from Alfredo earlier!

Novel: Nobody can beat Anna's pies!

PIEBERRY: Anna? Is that the name of the Pie Maker?

Brida: Shh! We're supposed to keep it a secret that Anna bakes pies.

PIEBERRY: Where can I find this Anna?!

DAVID: Hehe, if you want more pie, why don't you come with us to the village?

PIEBERRY: Wait, I'm a witch. I can't go to the village.

Novel: Come on, who's scared of a little witch?

Brida: I'm pretty sure the adults won't like her...

Novel: It's almost time for dinner... We should go back soon.

DAVID: Oh, is it? Let's not go too far then, and just play near the watchtower before going back.

PIEBERRY: Hmph... I want to go into the village too...!

DAVID: Hehe, I have an idea! If you want to meet Anna, come to the watchtower at the entrance to the village!

DAVID: Are you ready?

PIEBERRY: Are you sure it's okay? What are you going to do?

DAVID: Just trust me!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

It’s the hat, isn’t it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I was a bit skeptical about the whole fascism thing, and thought you might be overanalyzing. Then the narrative mentioned that both of the palace warriors are blonde and that Pieberry and Luna have a similar skin color.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

poo poo, it's not just the hat, is it.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

I was a bit skeptical about the whole fascism thing, and thought you might be overanalyzing. Then the narrative mentioned that both of the palace warriors are blonde and that Pieberry and Luna have a similar skin color.

What're you talking---

...Oh. Oh gently caress. :stare:

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

Guess what the pope’s hair and eye colors are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

They both have the same ...rabbit?... ears too, looking at the portraits.

Which makes it doubly prominent that their skin color was what the narrative chose to point out imo