Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)
Which one?
This poll is closed.
Blood Simple 1 5.88%
Raising Arizona 2 11.76%
Miller's Crossing 1 5.88%
Barton Fink 1 5.88%
The Hudsucker Proxy 0 0%
Fargo 1 5.88%
The Big Lebowski 3 17.65%
O Brother, Where Art Thou? 1 5.88%
The Man who Wasn't There 0 0%
Intolerable Cruelty 0 0%
The Ladykillers 0 0%
No Country for Old Men 3 17.65%
Burn After Reading 1 5.88%
A Serious Man 2 11.76%
True Grit 0 0%
Inside Llewin Davis 0 0%
Hail, Caesar! 0 0%
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 1 5.88%
Total: 17 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also rewatch o brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nostradingus posted:

The only Coen Bros I've seen is O Brother and I didn't like it at all but that was a long time ago. Looks like we've got some work to do

strap in buddy

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

who the hell voted buster scruggs

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Not me but Buster Scruggs is cool

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

also rewatch o brother

This. The first time I watched it back in high school I didn't care for it, but I rewatched it after finding out it's an adaptation of the odessy and now it's one of my favorites.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Started with Big Lebowski tonight since it's probably the most well known one. What a wacky movie. John Goodman is an absolute treasure. I did an honest to God DSP ackackack laugh when Donny's ashes blow straight back onto the Dude What a wild ride

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

spun Fargo. let's loving go

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

The Hudsucker Proxy

It's been a while since I saw this one, I forgot how hard they lean into the Frank Capra/Looney Tunes screwball thing. And how similar everything looks & feels to Brazil. It's a weird tone but once you settle into it it's very fun. The whole cast is great, I especially enjoyed Paul Newman being super menacing and I've been muttering "sure, sure" to myself all morning lol. JJL's character is exhausting at first but that's kind of the point, she's perfect and so is the entire newsroom. And for some reason the biggest laugh for me was the completely inconsequential moment when the Dean Martin stand-in winds up to take a drink between verses but goes back to singing at the last second lol

Enjoyed it a ton but I still think it's one of the lesser Coen movies (that I've seen), a few pieces just feel kind of awkward and undercooked. Still great fun overall though

3/5 vhs tapes

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fargo

drat near-perfect movie, god drat. being wasted off bourbon the first time seems to have erased every memory i had of it since it barely felt like a rewatch, but that's more than fine. just an intense movie without being dramatic, and bleakly funny without being tragicomedy. this could've easily been just an overly slick police drama but Coen Bros magic twists it into something unique, honestly almost feels like a satire of crime/police procedural stuff. great cinematography all-around too, loved all the shots of the stark white wilderness that transformed Brainerd, Fargo, and the area in-between into a character in and of itself to me as this bizarrely claustrophobic entity despite the wide-open isolation of it all. think the acting being stellar goes without saying too, though Steve Buscemi stole the show for me, love when he's allowed to just cut loose and have half the stuff out of his mouth feel like total improv. everyone else is great too, every main character just thinking they have control of the situation until they don't, except Marge who's the only not out to be conniving and is just doing her 9-5. not often i wanna rewatch a movie immediately afterwards but Fargo is just absolutely magnetic despite being so cold and emotionless, and drat humorous despite all the bloodshed and tension. a total contradiction of an experience and frankly i wouldn't have it any other way

9.5/10

rolled Miller's Crossing next

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Great list. I've seen many of them. One I'm curious to rewatch is The Man Who Wasn't There, though I remember it well so that makes me a little reluctant to watch again.

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Finished up A Serious Man last night. I loved this one. Hits that perfect Coen Bros mix of bleak, surreal, and hilarious. The "goy's teeth" sequence had me absolutely dying laughing. I love how thoroughly it explores Larry's psyche through his dreams and deeply uncomfortable interactions with basically every other character (other than his brother, with whom we share the only scenes of real human connection and intimacy in the entire movie). Also, I appreciate that drat near zero of the B-plots get wrapped up. In fact, the film seems to applaud the search for meaning / truth, while openly mocking the idea that there could possibly be such a thing, which I find both delightful and deeply relatable. Also, big lol at his son getting absolutely blasted before his bar mitzvah.

4.5 / 5

Gonna take a run at Raising Arizona next!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I was gonna watch in order but felt compelled to start with Raising Arizona. It is really surprising for only being their second movie how many similar themes from their later catalog are explored here. You have an indescribable antagonist that is born of nature and not man, the ineptitude of well, everyone, but also just the way this movie is shot just feels really ahead of its time for 1987. The cast is excellent all around here and this actually felt like a very sweet, optimistic film by the duo compared to most their other work. I would say if theres anything lacking it just feels very hollow beyond the main plot but maybe thats by design considering how simple everyone in the film is. 8.5/10

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Raising Arizona was a delight. I think SC64 nailed it in his review. I’d just add that I thought Nick Cage’s performance was nice and unhinged, but in a different (more restrained?) way than some of his latter roles. All the main characters are wildly incompetent, of course, but each charming and lovable. Huge shout-out to Frances McDormand’s absolutely insane performance in this.

I also want to highlight a couple of scenes that are now seared onto my brain forever - John Goodman emerging screaming from the mud, “Keep your goddamn hands off my wife”, the heist pitch involving intel from Nixon’s Undersecretary of Agriculture, “Do you see him, too?”

4 / 5

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yeah if theres anything i thought that really stuck out its how much ed and hi really loved each other

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i watched Arizona back in October and tbh it wouldnt rank among my Coen favs (so far), felt like growing pains with trying to mix the comedy with the drama. car chase and ending are all-timers though. if i have time i might give it a rewatch with a more open mind

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

symbolic posted:

i watched Arizona back in October and tbh it wouldnt rank among my Coen favs (so far), felt like growing pains with trying to mix the comedy with the drama. car chase and ending are all-timers though. if i have time i might give it a rewatch with a more open mind

Hi's ex-con buddies forgetting the baby multiple times and then willfully going back to prison really got me

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Hi's ex-con buddies forgetting the baby multiple times and then willfully going back to prison really got me

Not just going back to prison, but actually climbing back into the hole they emerged out of. It's just a perfect way to end that storyline.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I love all the absolutely deadpan townsfolk in Raising Arizona

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

Great list. I've seen many of them. One I'm curious to rewatch is The Man Who Wasn't There, though I remember it well so that makes me a little reluctant to watch again.

It’s probably the best looking Coens film, worth a rewatch just for that imo

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Blood Simple. Pretty drat good, it’s interesting how much of their style was right there from the beginning, being one of their stories of a single crime that spirals out of control as misunderstandings and failed coverups just make things worse. But at the same time you can tell they haven’t quite dialed in the style that they’d later become famous for, especially with the dialogue, there’s very little and even when people are talking it’s pretty spare, and it uses the soundtrack a lot more heavily than later movies as far as I know; Lebowski’s the only other one I can think of with a particularly memorable soundtrack and even then the stuff that sticks with me is the diegetic songs, the eagles, the dance sequence during the dream, etc, whereas this movie pretty heavily used really striking tracks while doing long establishing shots which isn’t the kind of thing I associate with their later films.

I really loved the story, it’s very pared down with only four characters really central to the story but that keeps things moving, where their other movies might have lots of different characters and side plots that may not converge for a while, in Blood Simple every action flows cleanly into the next one, with things just kind of rapidly spiraling out of everyone’s control and even their understanding. I was really struck by the scene where Abbie goes to Ray’s place and finds him packing and how it would have been the perfect opportunity for Ray to just come clean and say straight out what he did and let them resolve things but he’s too paranoid and distrustful of her to do it so everything just keeps barreling towards destruction. I laughed out loud at the end when she shoots Visser and reveals that she had so little idea what was going on that she thought he was Marty, who had been dead for like half the movie at that point, and the whole final confrontation being about Visser trying to recover his lighter that would have incriminated him as being at the scene of Marty’s murder, when in fact the lighter was completely overlooked and no one had ever found it was so good.

Also random aside but the backlit shot of the bullet holes in the wall might be one of my favorite shots in cinema, it’s so good.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

gonna watch millers crossing 2nite

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

wheel pulled a serious man, lfg

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm going to see how many movies I can get through this week. I started out with Raising Arizona. I've seen it a lot growing up from it being one of those films always playing on basic cable, but this is my first rewatch in probably 20 years. Absolutely a timeless classic. 5/5

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

A Serious Man

incredible. funny, sad, horrifying, endearing. maybe th most underrated movie on the list. the guy playing larry holds th whole thing together, he's just tryin his best to keep it together while ha-shem rains poo poo on his head. sy ableman might be th most villainous guy in a coen movie, hes a fuckin snake and seems incredibly sincere at the same time. all th dream sequences, all the rabbi sequences, just fuckin incredible. best opening to a coen movie too. i kind of see this one and llewyn davis as two sides of the same movie, the righteous man who falls apart and the failure tht cant stop failing, and theyre my two favorites. just so much good poo poo in this movie. absolutely mandatory watch for anyone who hasnt seen it

★★★★

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

A Serious Man

incredible. funny, sad, horrifying, endearing. maybe th most underrated movie on the list. the guy playing larry holds th whole thing together, he's just tryin his best to keep it together while ha-shem rains poo poo on his head. sy ableman might be th most villainous guy in a coen movie, hes a fuckin snake and seems incredibly sincere at the same time. all th dream sequences, all the rabbi sequences, just fuckin incredible. best opening to a coen movie too. i kind of see this one and llewyn davis as two sides of the same movie, the righteous man who falls apart and the failure tht cant stop failing, and theyre my two favorites. just so much good poo poo in this movie. absolutely mandatory watch for anyone who hasnt seen it

★★★★

:hai:

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Never seen this one before, pretty drat good. Westerns are kind of a natural fit for the Coens so this worked well for the most part. Surprisingly dark in parts, sometimes without any hint of comedy at all which felt a little weird for a Coen bros movie, but it was all executed really well. The only story that felt a little weak to me was the very last one, and even that was still compelling because of the performances. Tom Waits also completely stole the whole movie imo. His story was by far my favorite and had the best tone and pacing. Kind of insane he's never played a grizzled prospector before, he was born for it.

Good poo poo, great watch if you're in a western mood and feeling cynical lol. 4/5 vhs tapes

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

Never seen this one before, pretty drat good. Westerns are kind of a natural fit for the Coens so this worked well for the most part. Surprisingly dark in parts, sometimes without any hint of comedy at all which felt a little weird for a Coen bros movie, but it was all executed really well. The only story that felt a little weak to me was the very last one, and even that was still compelling because of the performances. Tom Waits also completely stole the whole movie imo. His story was by far my favorite and had the best tone and pacing. Kind of insane he's never played a grizzled prospector before, he was born for it.

Good poo poo, great watch if you're in a western mood and feeling cynical lol. 4/5 vhs tapes

just rolled this one too, lets go

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
the last story in Buster Scruggs was a real movies are amazing moment for me, from the performances, just a ton left unspoken but i felt like i could read their minds

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

this is one ive never seen before and hot drat that first story

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

man tht third story is mean as hell

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

man tht third story is mean as hell

yeah lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

coming backf rom eye surgery to kick down the door and say i love the ballad of buster scr

Fungah! posted:

who the hell voted buster scruggs

ig lebowski! yup the big lebowski!

copy
Jul 26, 2007

wanna watch the ones i aint seen before first

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I watched Blood Simple for the first time last night. I wouldn't call it good, but it was a good first effort. You can see a lot of elements that really shine in their later films that don't quite work here. The plot is definitely a Coen Brothers plot, especially the ending, which I feel is the strongest part of the movie. The soundtrack bouncing back and forth between oldies and generic synth music was pretty jarring, but I'm pretty sure that was just a budget issue. M. Emmet Walsh was great, but it was the only strong performance in the movie.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

rodbeard posted:

I watched Blood Simple for the first time last night. I wouldn't call it good,

I would

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

woof. really good but man thats one of the most cynical movies ive seen in a while. guess i'll take em in order. loved the framing device btw, ir ead a ton of those western short story books as a kid and they got the vibe pretty dead on

the ballad of buster scruggs

lmao. funniest one for sure, charming quick story. i love marty robbins music nd th whole thing is basically one big marty robbins song, even startin with cool water. th core joke of what if a 50s western actor was actually a modern western character was great, very dark but funny.

near algodones

hardest one for me to rate. i loved a lot of th individual scenes, the pan man was hilarious, but i feel like it ws all a setup to get the "first time" joke from the memes. probably my second least favorite

meal ticket

woof. very good, massive bummer. its cool how much character liam neeson and the performer got with basically never talkin to each other

all gold canyon

neat character piece, liked it a lot. not much to say except tom waits was born to play a weird grizzled prospector

the gal who got rattled

my least favorite. too long, very meh. the romance worked, the ending was good, dunno., nmot much for it

the mortal remains

godly. incredible poo poo. i feel like they made th whole movie to get a place to put this story. all th acting is amazing, brendan gleesons song is incredible, the ending is unreal. like elf bot said, so much happening with so little bein said. metaphor stacked on metaphor. i love that its super obvious that this is them goin into the afterlife but its never ever ever even slightly alluded to, just conveyed with staging and acting.

if it hadnt been for the last one this would be three stars but this is definitely

★★★˝

copy
Jul 26, 2007

mortal remains is insanely loving incredible. first time i watched ballad it just completely knocked all the other stories out of my mind

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

copy posted:

coming backf rom eye surgery to kick down the door and say i love the ballad of buster scr

ig lebowski! yup the big lebowski!

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol and the followup is hail caesar. talk about whiplash