Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)
Which one?
This poll is closed.
Blood Simple 1 5.88%
Raising Arizona 2 11.76%
Miller's Crossing 1 5.88%
Barton Fink 1 5.88%
The Hudsucker Proxy 0 0%
Fargo 1 5.88%
The Big Lebowski 3 17.65%
O Brother, Where Art Thou? 1 5.88%
The Man who Wasn't There 0 0%
Intolerable Cruelty 0 0%
The Ladykillers 0 0%
No Country for Old Men 3 17.65%
Burn After Reading 1 5.88%
A Serious Man 2 11.76%
True Grit 0 0%
Inside Llewin Davis 0 0%
Hail, Caesar! 0 0%
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 1 5.88%
Total: 17 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

hell yeah I'm in. reserved

--------------------------------
     REVIEW ZONE
--------------------------------

The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)

Sub-Actuality fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

herculon posted:

I'm beggin you to watch Raising Arizona

this lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Hudsucker Proxy. hell yeah

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

The Hudsucker Proxy

It's been a while since I saw this one, I forgot how hard they lean into the Frank Capra/Looney Tunes screwball thing. And how similar everything looks & feels to Brazil. It's a weird tone but once you settle into it it's very fun. The whole cast is great, I especially enjoyed Paul Newman being super menacing and I've been muttering "sure, sure" to myself all morning lol. JJL's character is exhausting at first but that's kind of the point, she's perfect and so is the entire newsroom. And for some reason the biggest laugh for me was the completely inconsequential moment when the Dean Martin stand-in winds up to take a drink between verses but goes back to singing at the last second lol

Enjoyed it a ton but I still think it's one of the lesser Coen movies (that I've seen), a few pieces just feel kind of awkward and undercooked. Still great fun overall though

3/5 vhs tapes

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Never seen this one before, pretty drat good. Westerns are kind of a natural fit for the Coens so this worked well for the most part. Surprisingly dark in parts, sometimes without any hint of comedy at all which felt a little weird for a Coen bros movie, but it was all executed really well. The only story that felt a little weak to me was the very last one, and even that was still compelling because of the performances. Tom Waits also completely stole the whole movie imo. His story was by far my favorite and had the best tone and pacing. Kind of insane he's never played a grizzled prospector before, he was born for it.

Good poo poo, great watch if you're in a western mood and feeling cynical lol. 4/5 vhs tapes

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

man tht third story is mean as hell

yeah lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

lol and the followup is hail caesar. talk about whiplash

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007