Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)
Which one?
This poll is closed.
Blood Simple 1 5.88%
Raising Arizona 2 11.76%
Miller's Crossing 1 5.88%
Barton Fink 1 5.88%
The Hudsucker Proxy 0 0%
Fargo 1 5.88%
The Big Lebowski 3 17.65%
O Brother, Where Art Thou? 1 5.88%
The Man who Wasn't There 0 0%
Intolerable Cruelty 0 0%
The Ladykillers 0 0%
No Country for Old Men 3 17.65%
Burn After Reading 1 5.88%
A Serious Man 2 11.76%
True Grit 0 0%
Inside Llewin Davis 0 0%
Hail, Caesar! 0 0%
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 1 5.88%
Total: 17 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Cool idea. I’ve got Blood Simple, Inside Llewyn Davis, Miller’s Crossing, and Raising Arizona as ones I haven’t seen yet but own in one form or another so I’ll try to knock all those out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The thing I love about Burn After Reading is that it feels like the whole movie is one long joke, the entire rest of the movie just being setup and the very last scene being the punchline. Which is not something I think anyone but the Coen Brothers could pull off.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Not me but Buster Scruggs is cool

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Blood Simple. Pretty drat good, it’s interesting how much of their style was right there from the beginning, being one of their stories of a single crime that spirals out of control as misunderstandings and failed coverups just make things worse. But at the same time you can tell they haven’t quite dialed in the style that they’d later become famous for, especially with the dialogue, there’s very little and even when people are talking it’s pretty spare, and it uses the soundtrack a lot more heavily than later movies as far as I know; Lebowski’s the only other one I can think of with a particularly memorable soundtrack and even then the stuff that sticks with me is the diegetic songs, the eagles, the dance sequence during the dream, etc, whereas this movie pretty heavily used really striking tracks while doing long establishing shots which isn’t the kind of thing I associate with their later films.

I really loved the story, it’s very pared down with only four characters really central to the story but that keeps things moving, where their other movies might have lots of different characters and side plots that may not converge for a while, in Blood Simple every action flows cleanly into the next one, with things just kind of rapidly spiraling out of everyone’s control and even their understanding. I was really struck by the scene where Abbie goes to Ray’s place and finds him packing and how it would have been the perfect opportunity for Ray to just come clean and say straight out what he did and let them resolve things but he’s too paranoid and distrustful of her to do it so everything just keeps barreling towards destruction. I laughed out loud at the end when she shoots Visser and reveals that she had so little idea what was going on that she thought he was Marty, who had been dead for like half the movie at that point, and the whole final confrontation being about Visser trying to recover his lighter that would have incriminated him as being at the scene of Marty’s murder, when in fact the lighter was completely overlooked and no one had ever found it was so good.

Also random aside but the backlit shot of the bullet holes in the wall might be one of my favorite shots in cinema, it’s so good.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

the gal who got rattled was my favorite one when I saw it, a belief that I’m alone among all God’s creatures in having.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I’d be interested in giving it a rewatch and seeing how my order holds up, I feel like every time I watch the same Coen Brothers movie my opinion on it changes in some way

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

me after picking up my $175 special edition copy of Phoenix Wright 7

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Raising Arizona. I didn’t intend to watch their first two movies in chronological order—I can’t recall if I was even aware that Raising Arizona was their second movie when I started it—but I’m glad I did. Apparently the Coens had challenged themselves to make a movie as different from Blood Simple as possible and watching the two after one another makes you feel like they kind of bracketed most of their later films, which are not quite as bleak and sparse as Blood Simple but not quite as madcap and zany as RA.

I laughed at loud at multiple points which is rare for me, I’m not generally a big fan of comedies but this one really got me, especially the big wacky Looney Tunes race in the middle and the bank robbery at the end.

Despite the over-the-top comedic nature of the movie it kind of reminded me of Cormac McCarthy, the empty southern setting, the way everyone talks in a very well-spoken manner even if they’re dimwits, the inhuman villain that feels like a force of nature rather than a person (even though he was obviously played for laughs he feels like a parody of or homage to characters like The Judge of Red Meridian or Anton Chigurh) so I guess it makes sense that they knocked it out of the park when they did adapt McCarthy later in No Country For Old Men which one of my favorite films of all time.

Not sure how many, if any, more I’ll be able to get through before the deadline now since real life has been intruding on all my gaming and movie-watching time but I’ll try to squeeze at least one or two more in, and maybe keep my own personal Coen Brothers marathon going, I’ve loved most of their movies and at least liked the ones I didn’t love but I’ve still got a ton I haven’t seen yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Miller’s Crossing. I’m going to sleep on it a bit before I make any definitive statements, but it might be my new favorite Coen Bros movie, which places it in the running for favorite movie period. Gabriel Byrne killed it in the lead role and John Turturro plays the perfect slime ball prick, you want to see him get his comeuppance from the first scene you see him where he’s just sort of a prick, then you feel awful for him during the harrowing scene at Miller’s Crossing, then he squanders his shot at a clean getaway to screw over the guy who saved his life out of pride and pettiness and then you’re right back to wanting to see this smarmy bastard get his. It’s interesting that Tom is in a lot of ways like many of the Coen’s protagonists who find themselves wrapped up in a problem way over their heads and their attempts to get out of it just dig themselves deeper, but he’s sharp and savvy enough to generally stay on top of things and turn unexpected twists to his advantage—even if they do bite him bad in the short term and he’s clearly just barely keeping ahead. He never feels in control of the situation but he’s a quick enough thinker to keep from getting run over, though you always feel like everything’s just about to catch up with him. I’ll need to give it a rewatch soon, I feel like every Coen Bros movie gains something from a rewatch and I’m curious to see what it is for this one.