Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)
Which one?
This poll is closed.
Blood Simple 1 5.88%
Raising Arizona 2 11.76%
Miller's Crossing 1 5.88%
Barton Fink 1 5.88%
The Hudsucker Proxy 0 0%
Fargo 1 5.88%
The Big Lebowski 3 17.65%
O Brother, Where Art Thou? 1 5.88%
The Man who Wasn't There 0 0%
Intolerable Cruelty 0 0%
The Ladykillers 0 0%
No Country for Old Men 3 17.65%
Burn After Reading 1 5.88%
A Serious Man 2 11.76%
True Grit 0 0%
Inside Llewin Davis 0 0%
Hail, Caesar! 0 0%
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 1 5.88%
Total: 17 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Burn after Reading: 7/10
Fargo: 9.5/10
Miller's Crossing: 9/10
Blood Simple: 8/10
Barton Fink: 9/10

symbolic fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

i know at least 4 i definitely wanna get to. let's gooooo

actually lemme ask which are pretty essential cuz out of all of these i've only seen Arizona, Fargo (tho i was drunk as poo poo and don't remember much so rewatch mayhaps...?), Lebowski, Country, and Caesar. was thinking at least Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, A Serious Man, and Llewyn Davis

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

started Burn after Reading after a personal rec. let's kick this poo poo off

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Burn After Reading

overall i liked it but i can definitely see why it isn't considered among the Coen Bros' best. seems to me way too sleek and Hollywood-y than what i'd expect from them, if that makes sense, and i never felt all that drawn into it like i have with the rest of their movies. i think it might partly be because all the rest of the movies i've seen of theirs have felt a lot more isolated in terms of setting for the most part, and not in the hustle and bustle of a major city. that being said though, it was still pretty good! definitely got more and more intense all the way through the ending, a real perfect escalation of things spiraling out of control for everyone involved. all the acting was on point too, think it goes without saying Frances McDormand ftw but all the other leads were great too. George Clooney and John Malkovich being equally schizophrenic was great, and i always enjoy Brad Pitt when he plays a dimwitted dirtbag though i wish he didn't unexpectedly get headshot two-thirds of the way through inasmuch as that was the catalyst for the third act to kick off. a lot more drama than comedy, though still got some good laughs (the Tuchman Marsh bit in particular got me real good). not a bad one to start out with

7/10

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nostradingus posted:

The only Coen Bros I've seen is O Brother and I didn't like it at all but that was a long time ago. Looks like we've got some work to do

strap in buddy

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

spun Fargo. let's loving go

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fargo

drat near-perfect movie, god drat. being wasted off bourbon the first time seems to have erased every memory i had of it since it barely felt like a rewatch, but that's more than fine. just an intense movie without being dramatic, and bleakly funny without being tragicomedy. this could've easily been just an overly slick police drama but Coen Bros magic twists it into something unique, honestly almost feels like a satire of crime/police procedural stuff. great cinematography all-around too, loved all the shots of the stark white wilderness that transformed Brainerd, Fargo, and the area in-between into a character in and of itself to me as this bizarrely claustrophobic entity despite the wide-open isolation of it all. think the acting being stellar goes without saying too, though Steve Buscemi stole the show for me, love when he's allowed to just cut loose and have half the stuff out of his mouth feel like total improv. everyone else is great too, every main character just thinking they have control of the situation until they don't, except Marge who's the only not out to be conniving and is just doing her 9-5. not often i wanna rewatch a movie immediately afterwards but Fargo is just absolutely magnetic despite being so cold and emotionless, and drat humorous despite all the bloodshed and tension. a total contradiction of an experience and frankly i wouldn't have it any other way

9.5/10

rolled Miller's Crossing next

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i watched Arizona back in October and tbh it wouldnt rank among my Coen favs (so far), felt like growing pains with trying to mix the comedy with the drama. car chase and ending are all-timers though. if i have time i might give it a rewatch with a more open mind

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

only got half an hour into Miller's Crossing before i had to leave for work but i'm already sold, some wonderful dialogue and exchanges so far. hope i can keep track of everyone and their relationships

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Miller's Crossing

holy smokes

i'm a sucker for witty, cocksure dialogue especially in noir movies and with the Coen Bros magic added into that i was sold on pretty much every line. Gabriel Byrne absolutely sells it as a smug rear end in a top hat who's still an expert at playing both sides, and all the supporting cast only aids him in that. some really intense scenes that kept my eyes glued to the screen too: the Danny Boy segment, all the scenes at Miller's Crossing, the spat and execution of the Dane, just superb all-around and really convincing me that the Coen Bros can excel at any genre. the only strike i have against it is the relationships of everyone to each other was somewhat hard to track for me but i imagine viewing it a second time will clear any of it up.

9/10

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Blood Simple

maybe it was silly of me to go into their first movie thinking they started out rather amateur like a good number of other directors, cuz drat their debut was still just pure Coen Bro even if i thought it started out feeling like a B-movie director trying to imitate them. some pretty trademark idiosyncrasies are already there like weird dialogue tangents, birds-eye shots, characters conniving against one another as everything falls apart in real time, isolated-feeling setting, etc. also manages to carve its own niche though, feels almost just as violent as No Country taking into account how small the cast is but much grittier. feels like the escalation is almost exponential until the bonkers ending, i thought McDormand's acting was very evident of it being her first film until the last third or so of the movie when everything comes crashing down. i guess the only thing that really held it back for me was the acting, aside from McDormand and Meurice the rest of the actors felt somewhat wooden (though Marty's death throes from crawling out of the car to finally being buried alive was pretty drat harrowing). also kinda came out of the movie wanting more, but regardless, very good standalone movie and a stellar debut

8/10

i only have time for one more and Barton Fink has been among the top of my movie backlog, so lfg

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

elf help book posted:

i love a movie about a man suffering from forces he cannot control

as i finish up Barton Fink, yeah

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Barton Fink

very brutal movie, phew. a lot of the second half was a series of waiting for other shoes to drop, extremely tense. John Turturro is great as a twitchy fish out of water but John Goodman absolutely steals the show, one of the best performances I've seen recently especially his final confrontation with the detectives and Fink. did not see him turning out to be a serial killer coming but the foreshadowing in hindsight was there. rest of the cast was great as well including in a weird Fargo way the setting, though less the actual places and more just the whole atmosphere being this unforgiving miasma of sleaze and got-mine mentality that permeates the City of Angels. i don't think there was any point where it felt like L.A. was romanticized and instead portrayed as a machine that chews up promises and spits out despair unless you're at the very top. despite that though there were some really funny lines, full-on lmao'd at "We never had sex, we just wrestled!" followed by dead silence. i think some allegory was extremely on the nose at times but still an excellent Coen Bros film to end off on

9/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

and since i won't have time today to finish another movie, final ranking

No Country
Fargo
Big Lebowski
Barton Fink/Miller's Crossing (cant decide which edges out the other)
[small gap]
Blood Simple
Raising Arizona
[small gap]
Hail, Caesar!
Burn after Reading