Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)
Which one?
This poll is closed.
Blood Simple 1 5.88%
Raising Arizona 2 11.76%
Miller's Crossing 1 5.88%
Barton Fink 1 5.88%
The Hudsucker Proxy 0 0%
Fargo 1 5.88%
The Big Lebowski 3 17.65%
O Brother, Where Art Thou? 1 5.88%
The Man who Wasn't There 0 0%
Intolerable Cruelty 0 0%
The Ladykillers 0 0%
No Country for Old Men 3 17.65%
Burn After Reading 1 5.88%
A Serious Man 2 11.76%
True Grit 0 0%
Inside Llewin Davis 0 0%
Hail, Caesar! 0 0%
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 1 5.88%
Total: 17 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

I'm absolutely in! Turns out there are a bunch of Coen Bros flicks I haven't seen. Though, just in the last couple days, I've watched Miller's Crossing (immaculate neo-noir, easy 5/5 stars) and Blood Simple (a slow, surreal exploration of love, jealousy, and the corrupting power of money? I think? 4/5 stars), so I'm off to a good start. Probably going to watch A Serious Man next, then re-watch Raising Arizona since it's been literally years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Finished up A Serious Man last night. I loved this one. Hits that perfect Coen Bros mix of bleak, surreal, and hilarious. The "goy's teeth" sequence had me absolutely dying laughing. I love how thoroughly it explores Larry's psyche through his dreams and deeply uncomfortable interactions with basically every other character (other than his brother, with whom we share the only scenes of real human connection and intimacy in the entire movie). Also, I appreciate that drat near zero of the B-plots get wrapped up. In fact, the film seems to applaud the search for meaning / truth, while openly mocking the idea that there could possibly be such a thing, which I find both delightful and deeply relatable. Also, big lol at his son getting absolutely blasted before his bar mitzvah.

4.5 / 5

Gonna take a run at Raising Arizona next!

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Raising Arizona was a delight. I think SC64 nailed it in his review. I’d just add that I thought Nick Cage’s performance was nice and unhinged, but in a different (more restrained?) way than some of his latter roles. All the main characters are wildly incompetent, of course, but each charming and lovable. Huge shout-out to Frances McDormand’s absolutely insane performance in this.

I also want to highlight a couple of scenes that are now seared onto my brain forever - John Goodman emerging screaming from the mud, “Keep your goddamn hands off my wife”, the heist pitch involving intel from Nixon’s Undersecretary of Agriculture, “Do you see him, too?”

4 / 5

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Hi's ex-con buddies forgetting the baby multiple times and then willfully going back to prison really got me

Not just going back to prison, but actually climbing back into the hole they emerged out of. It's just a perfect way to end that storyline.