Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Lobster Henry posted:

Bradley Cooper is just nakedly desperate for validation-via-Oscar. Is there a less promising reason for a film to exist?

Money laundering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Melton not getting anything for May December (Moore too) makes my head hurt. I not once thought RDJ gave an above average performance in Oppenheimer, is he the front runner just as a career make up award? And what the gently caress is Nyad

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Also what the hell is up with Wim Wenders colonizing the Japanese nomination over Kore-eda's best movie?

I had the choice of seeing Monster or Perfect Days and chose Monster, it's just as good as Shoplifters but maybe they didn't pick it because of gay?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Also what the hell is up with Wim Wenders colonizing the Japanese nomination over Kore-eda's best movie?

Blame Japan for submitting it as their country's nomination.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Not surprised, but still bummed godzilla didn't get a nom for international film. Still, any nom for it is good.

Just watch elemental win animated feature.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot

Gaius Marius posted:

I find Lanthimos to be a bit of a try hard. I don't think his Filmography will age well

Sadly agree as far as Poor Things is concerned, it’s a hoot to begin with but it falters in the second half and is just generally kind of exhausting and extra after a while. But I rewatched The Favourite this week and that movie is the real deal. European aristocrats deserve every bit of Lanthimos’ absurdist contempt, and there is emotional depth there as well.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lobster Henry posted:

Bradley Cooper is just nakedly desperate for validation-via-Oscar. Is there a less promising reason for a film to exist?

I feel like if Cooper could be a comfortably out gay man he mightn't have felt the need to make this movie. It definitely doesn't seem like he has much interest in the music

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Srice posted:

Blame Japan for submitting it as their country's nomination.

Since RRR wasn't submitted by India we should start to consider taking some films from their countries lobby choice.

Think it was last year we had a deep dive into times the nominating country failed to nominate one of the best ever for sonething no ones heard of.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

India nominating RRR would be like the US nominating Avengers. People on foreign countries have a greatly distorted view of what the people in that country consider important or great.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Gaius Marius posted:

India nominating RRR would be like the US nominating Avengers. People on foreign countries have a greatly distorted view of what the people in that country consider important or great.

Counterpoint

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/12/19/movies/how-kurosawa-s-ran-missed-a-shot-at-oscar.html

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That article has nothing to do with what your previous post said.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

It's also an often corrupt, or at least cronyed, decision within the countries.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Kurosawa is definitely an example of a foreign director having a much different reputation here than in their home country though. By the time he made Kagemusha and Ran, Kurosawa was persona non grata with the Japanese studios and his own production company had gone out of business. He was still a legend but he was considered a washed-up legend, not someone who was a smart bet to invest money into.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
What changed that made the Palme d'Or winner a lock for a Best Picture nomination as long as it's not about loving a car?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Maestro being less a movie and more a two-hour acting reel is pretty funny actually, it's the most actor-brained thing I've ever seen and I kind of love that about it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Has there ever been a Actor > Director move that has resulted in good work. It's like everytime they come to an impasse they lean all the way into their actorly impulses because they cannot see the complete picture of what the film should be.

And as I'm writing this, Charles Laughton

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Has there ever been a Actor > Director move that has resulted in good work. It's like everytime they come to an impasse they lean all the way into their actorly impulses because they cannot see the complete picture of what the film should be.

Clint's had some duds but surely Unforgiven is good enough to justify his pivot (Play Misty for Me is pretty sick too)

oh, and I like Gone Baby Gone probably more than any movie Ben Affleck has actually starred in

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Albert Brooks comes to mind, he put out a few real good ones. Helps that he focused on comedy instead of wanting to be taken very seriously.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gaius Marius posted:

It's a cliche, but...Citizen Kane?

Oh, for some reason I thought this post was talking about an actor directing themselves. I'm an idiot.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 23, 2024

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Gaius Marius posted:

cassavetes

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Peele, Gerwig and Polley jump immediately to mind, and that's just this decade. If anything, I think it might be an issue for superstar actors > directors.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

It's a cliche, but...Citizen Kane?

He started as a stage director before acting in film I thought. Regardless all the people I forgot is making Brad look a lot worse. Maybe we give him a pity oscar so he can move on.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
A Star Is Born was really good. Haven't seen Maestro but Cooper getting behind the camera was a great move for him

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gaius Marius posted:

He started as a stage director before acting in film I thought. Regardless all the people I forgot is making Brad look a lot worse. Maybe we give him a pity oscar so he can move on.

Yeah, I edited my post, because I totally misread the OP.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Gaius Marius posted:

Richard Attenborough, Ron Howard and Jon Favreau

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Hell were discussing the snub of Greta Gerwig on this very page.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Nil By Mouth is an incredible (and incredibly grim) directorial debut from Gary Oldman and then he just never bothered directing again. Massive flex

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Oldman reminds me - can't forget Paddy Considine

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Oppenheimer winning Best Picture, Original Score, Cinematography and Best Actor seems like the obvious ones. Everything else seems a bit more in flux.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

Oppenheimer winning Best Picture, Original Score, Cinematography and Best Actor seems like the obvious ones. Everything else seems a bit more in flux.

I dunno about Actor. Seems like Giamatti is headed for a career recognition Oscar.

As far as every category goes, Gladstone is the lockest of locks. And Randolph's looking good too, for her very Oscar-y performance.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Is Gladstone a lock? Seems like Stone has been picking up some other awards lately.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're giving them to Stone as consolation. There's no way they're giving the award to her over Gladstone

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

checkplease posted:

Is Gladstone a lock? Seems like Stone has been picking up some other awards lately.

Not to take anything away from Gladstone's performance but the Academy would never pass up an opportunity to publicly pat itself on the back.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

lol that Nyad gets two nominations

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Barbie movie nominations are hilariously weird. No Greta or Margot Robbie, but it does pick up best picture (?????), best supporting actor and actress and adapted script. Like I really enjoyed Ryan Gosling, but best supporting actor is crazy lmao. And it also feels like the only reason Margot Robbie isn’t nominated was because they nominated America Ferrera, for essentially just her speech in the movie.

Everything everywhere all at once really poisoned the well at the Oscar’s. But also why not just nominate Greta and Margot? Lol it’s just so weird.

Anyway Oppenheimer and Killers of the flower moon sweep

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Am I the only one that liked Barbie but didn't think Robbie was particularly special in it? Looking back on it, I think about the music and the production/costume design and Gosling and Ferrera (and Cera and McKinnon) but Robbie's performance falls by the wayside.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the anger is funny because it feels like prior to today everyone pretty much agreed that Ryan Gosling stole the show

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the anger is funny because it feels like prior to today everyone pretty much agreed that Ryan Gosling stole the show

The argument that Robbie and Gerwig being snubbed proves the movie's point is funny, considering that Robbie was competing in a competition with other women and Gerwig arguably lost her spot to Triet.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
There is some hilarious poetry in Robbie and Gerwig getting snubbed but Gosling getting a nomination

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
The more I think about it, the more annoyed I am at all of the Maestro nominations.

My opinion of Oppenheimer has also dipped from great to pretty good; I think it just straight-up loses the head-to-head with Killers of the Flower Moon. I already know I'm going to be annoyed throughout the ceremony as it wins 5+ trophies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

surf rock posted:

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I am at all of the Maestro nominations.

if it makes you feel better, it won't win any* and in six months nobody will remember it exists

*maybe sound or makeup but same result either way