Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Can we make this the background of CD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Yeah and just before that you can hear his breath catch a bit.

Anyway Lily Gladstone and Killers of the Flower Moon overall were robbed.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I'm really really struggling with the Lily Gladstone robbed posts, half of them seem to be Emma Stone already has one so this is wrong and the other half seem to have never seen her performance. She was the odds favourite to win by a mile and it was not by chance.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

She’s not that good of an actress

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Lid posted:

I'm really really struggling with the Lily Gladstone robbed posts, half of them seem to be Emma Stone already has one so this is wrong and the other half seem to have never seen her performance. She was the odds favourite to win by a mile and it was not by chance.

Poor things sucked OP

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

lmao, 10/10

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Poor things sucked OP

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i can’t stand yorgos’s movies or ayone who works with him

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Oppenheimer owns though and I'm happy that the haters got owned on that one. Wanna watch that movie again so bad

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Overall it was good, nothing shocking just at worst the other person from who I wanted to win in competitive categories. All still well deserved.

They really needed a second person out there with Pacino, yikes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The only winner I'm not thrilled by is Oppenheimer winning Best Score. But even then that's because to me the Poor Things score was strange & memorable in a way that really helped in shaping its aesthetic and mood. Oppenheimer's was pretty good in its own right, just didn't like it as much as Poor Things. But I'm not too disappointed since the composer is pretty young, he'll surely get another shot some day.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

actually i'm more upset about robbie not winning for the kotfm score than i am about lily's upset. just stupid

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Srice posted:

The only winner I'm not thrilled by is Oppenheimer winning Best Score. But even then that's because to me the Poor Things score was strange & memorable in a way that really helped in shaping its aesthetic and mood.

Also Jerskin Fendrix's first time working on a movie score. AFAIK, Yorgos just heard his music in a record shop and thought "huh yeah that's weird, that could work".

He gets bonus points for having such a weird stage name as well

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Winning an Oscar is the closest thing we have to an official consensus that your movie is mid. Congrats to Oppenheimer, 2023's most mid movie.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Winning an Oscar is the closest thing we have to an official consensus that your movie is mid. Congrats to Oppenheimer, 2023's most mid movie.

Many haters are saying this

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Many haters are saying this

i mean, i actually quite liked Oppenheimer. would not have been my pick. but in the face of all available evidence, i am forced to conclude that it was mid.

if i was picking most mid movie from the list of best picture nominees, I would've gone with Poor Things.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i mean, i actually quite liked Oppenheimer. would not have been my pick. but in the face of all available evidence, i am forced to conclude that it was mid.

if i was picking most mid movie from the list of best picture nominees, I would've gone with Poor Things.

In a list that includes Maestro and American Fiction, this is not a serious statement

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

In a list that includes Maestro and American Fiction, this is not a serious statement

in the case of Maestro, i think you're mixing up "mid" for "outright dogshit." common mistake.

i haven't seen American Fiction, but i've heard good things. wanna read the book first. Percival Everett seems cool.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 11, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

in the case of Maestro, i think you're mixing up "mid" for "outright dogshit." common mistake.

i haven't seen American Fiction, but i've heard good things. wanna read the book first. Percival Everett seems cool.

The book is quite good, but in a very different way. It's mostly about literature, publishing, and Monk's relationship with his mother.

It made me appreciate the adaptation because the movie is going for something else entirely but using much of the same plot and characters. It's much more a critique of Monk's worldview. All that's there in the book, but not really the driving focus.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Failed Imagineer posted:

Jerskin Fendrix

Me 8 beers deep trying to name my favorite guitarist

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

The book is quite good, but in a very different way. It's mostly about literature, publishing, and Monk's relationship with his mother.

It made me appreciate the adaptation because the movie is going for something else entirely but using much of the same plot and characters. It's much more a critique of Monk's worldview. All that's there in the book, but not really the driving focus.

this does make me more excited to read the book/see the movie. love a creative adaptation. and i've been rooting for Sterling K. Brown to get more juicy roles.

i've had his other book The Trees on hold at the library but maybe i'll switch up and prioritize Erasure.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah you know what, you're right there. Maestro is an awful movie, and American Fiction was very entertaining

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

this does make me more excited to read the book/see the movie. love a creative adaptation. and i've been rooting for Sterling K. Brown to get more juicy roles.

i've had his other book The Trees on hold at the library but maybe i'll switch up and prioritize Erasure.

A good quarter to third of the book is actually "My Pafology", the satire Monk writes to make fun of "black" trauma books. It's barely read in the movie, which uses Monk acting like a ghetto stereotype for publishers/the media as a stand in for the "My Pafology", but that section of the book is goddamn hilarious.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lid posted:

Poor Things was mid and Emma Stone was better in The Curse.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Poor Things was good and Oppenheimer was good and I'm happy they did well.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

fishing with the fam posted:

Poor Things was good and Oppenheimer was good and I'm happy they did well.

Same, this was a year that I was happy with basically all the winners, even though I personally enjoyed Barbie and Killers more than the Academy apparently did.

My only real disappointment with the Oscars is that The Iron Claw wasn't nominated for a single thing, but I know that's mostly due to how late it came out in the year.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Iron Claw was so loving good. Almost everyone knocked it out the park... everyone but the idiot they got for Ric Flair. gently caress that was bad. He looked alright but couldn't capture anything about him in performance.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

nobody even remembers Ray
Musician biopics should never win awards, they're dime-a-dozen
Hard disagree. John C. Reilly should've won for Walk Hard.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Not to mention a reoccuring role on Parks and Rec as councilman Jamm.

This is true. On a similar note, I think it's really cool that after winning so many NBA titles, Michael Jordan became such an accomplished actor. He looked so different in Black Panther, you wouldn't even know it was him. In fact, you might think it's just a completely different person with a similar but not identical name

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Michael be Jordin'

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

ALFbrot posted:

Hard disagree. John C. Reilly should've won for Walk Hard.

This is true. On a similar note, I think it's really cool that after winning so many NBA titles, Michael Jordan became such an accomplished actor. He looked so different in Black Panther, you wouldn't even know it was him. In fact, you might think it's just a completely different person with a similar but not identical name

Michael Jordan had to lose over 100 lbs to play Wallace in The Wire.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

Vintersorg posted:

Iron Claw was so loving good. Almost everyone knocked it out the park... everyone but the idiot they got for Ric Flair. gently caress that was bad. He looked alright but couldn't capture anything about him in performance.

I agree and the performance does hurt a pretty amazing movie, but I feel for the actor. The only way for the director to handle that should have been to use archival footage of Flair or just not had Flair in it at all. It isn't just hard for an actor to perform as Ric Flair. It is impossible. No one on earth can do what Ric Flair could in his prime. For me it didn't stick out because the acting was lousy, it was noticeable because of the hubris in even attempting it.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1767187659737207279?s=46&t=_fVsts1-26_-vpwC3rOANA

Marty enjoying some Ken.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Updated the two important pages on the voting game...

http://crucialweb.net/oscars/results.php now marks off the actual winners from last night

http://crucialweb.net/oscars/leaderboard.php now shows who's guesses most aligned with the academy

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I still can’t get over how bad Coda was

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I thought it was alright

No idea how it won Best Picture

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

General Dog posted:

It's a good movie but it was nowhere near best picture caliber.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
CODA is the middest of mid Oscar movies.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
CODA winning Best Picture was a direct thumb in the eye of Netflix.
:sickos:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Updated the two important pages on the voting game...

http://crucialweb.net/oscars/results.php now marks off the actual winners from last night

http://crucialweb.net/oscars/leaderboard.php now shows who's guesses most aligned with the academy

Wrong Bob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
In CODA's defense, none of the other nominees were egregious losses.