Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Drive My Car shoulda won. Licorice Pizza was also much better then CODA but I'd be incensed if PTA won for that and not twbb or the master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CODA was the year of Dune but the academy was too afraid of Dune's power.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Drive My Car shoulda won. Licorice Pizza was also much better then CODA but I'd be incensed if PTA won for that and not twbb or the master

Drive My Car was good but a slow, three-hour Japanese movie was never going to win.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah Coda year had Power of the Dog, Drive my car, and west side story all of which could have been solid winners.

But I guess there was no big film everyone was united for like the last two years. So the most feel good movie gets enough 1st and 2nd place votes in ranked choice.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Green Book over Roma, or even A Star Is Born, was much worse.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

Licorice Pizza had the same problem as Poor Things where you're like "This is good, but also maybe highly problematic?"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Licorice Pizza has a sad ending, right? That's what I took away from it but it seemed like most people didn't see it that way

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Movie definitely doesn't want you to take it that way. It's an uplifting ending based on music and how it's shot.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Well now I'm looking back at that 2021 list and EL OH EL I forgot that Don't Look Up was somehow nominated for best picture. What a loving year.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I read it's ending as kinda like The Graduate, a moment of happiness for the characters but one that's part of a complex larger life with its ups and downs, not a Happily Ever After.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

live with fruit posted:

Licorice Pizza has a sad ending, right? That's what I took away from it but it seemed like most people didn't see it that way

lol no it's definitely "yay this 27-year-old is finally getting together with this 17-year-old"

Or something along those age lines. It's really hard to tell how much time is supposed to pass in that movie. The precocious teen starts at 15 and goes through careers as an actor, an owner of a talent agency, a water bed salesman, and a pinball arcade owner through the course of the film. Maybe he's supposed to be a good bit older by the end.

Edit: Google says 3 years pass through the whole movie

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 11, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

fishing with the fam posted:

Well now I'm looking back at that 2021 list and EL OH EL I forgot that Don't Look Up was somehow nominated for best picture. What a loving year.

It was definitely the new movie I watched in my bed.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

live with fruit posted:

Green Book over Roma, or even A Star Is Born, was much worse.

Or Blackkklansmen or The Favourite

That was also the year of The Nightingale, the movie that was so harrowing that despite it being the directors follow up to The Babadook has fallen partially into obscurity because it was unrelentingly bleak and brutal.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Poor Things walked so The Favourite could run

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Poor Things walked so The Favourite could run

How does that work, backward through time?

I guess Poor Things was in development since before The Favourite iirc

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

How does that work, backward through time?

Correct, Yorgos made them in the wrong order

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Correct, Yorgos made them in the wrong order

Time isn't real my man

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Time isn't real my man

exactly, how else do you think he did it?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Lid posted:

That was also the year of The Nightingale, the movie that was so harrowing that despite it being the directors follow up to The Babadook has fallen partially into obscurity because it was unrelentingly bleak and brutal.

Not only that but Sam Claflin says he regrets making it and that he only did it chasing clout.

As for Licorice Pizza, I thought it was sad because the main character was too good for him. The whole truck scene really hammered home how she was smart and capable and he was a doofus but then options were slim for smart, capable women in the 70s so she had to settle for him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

live with fruit posted:

As for Licorice Pizza, I thought it was sad because the main character was too good for him. The whole truck scene really hammered home how she was smart and capable and he was a doofus but then options were slim for smart, capable women in the 70s so she had to settle for him.

She's a loving mess, dude. Completely aimless and under the thumb of her domineering parents well into her 20s. She lets a 15-year-old run her life for 3 years.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

She's a loving mess, dude. Completely aimless and under the thumb of her domineering parents well into her 20s. She lets a 15-year-old run her life for 3 years.

Yeah, society. When given the opportunity to do stuff, she did well.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I took licorice pizza as a celebration of being young in all of its different shades of emotion. none of it matters, they have so much life ahead of them, but in the moment it couldn't matter more.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Still kicking my feet about Godzilla

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Speaking of Godzilla Minus One, Kamiki was the snub of the year, since he gave the performance of the year.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sakura Ando won both the Supporting Actress and Lead Actress awards at the Japan Academy prize for Godzilla and Monster, and since she won Supporting last year, she presented that award to herself

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Lid posted:

it was also loving awful, what are you on about? did people like The Nightingale?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Go Go Godzilla

For the video editing category, is it always a one person award? That seems like way more of a team thing then a solo effort

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm assuming it's lead editor

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm just ken really should have won

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The only acclaimed thing I haven’t seen this year is Zone of Interest, which I’m seeing next week. Everything else was underwhelming. My favorites so far are Poor Things and Perfect Days, but even they were flawed.

I still think the best year this side of the millennium was 2015. You may not like everything on the Best Picture nominee list but in terms of genre it’s a diverse slate. There’s gotta be at least two or three things you enjoy:

1. Spotlight (winner)
2. The Big Short
3. Bridge of Spies
4. Brooklyn
5. Mad Max: Fury Road
6. The Martian
7. The Revenant
8. Room

I liked every one of these. And they even managed to have a deserving winner that most people agree on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

GKIDS has confirmed that Boy and the Heron will be returning to theaters for a short time to celebrate the Oscar win, now let's go Godzilla

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Waffleman_ posted:

Still kicking my feet about Godzilla

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Waffleman_ posted:

Sakura Ando won both the Supporting Actress and Lead Actress awards at the Japan Academy prize for Godzilla and Monster, and since she won Supporting last year, she presented that award to herself

Having just watched her in Monster, which she was great in, I just had to find the clip - they had a nominee cam for her which was just the main video feed of her presenting the award, and she looks even more surprised to win than Emma Stone.

https://twitter.com/arfebibots/status/1766090923384181191

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

lol she looks like she's worried,
like errr is this allowed?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Vegetable posted:

I still think the best year this side of the millennium was 2015. You may not like everything on the Best Picture nominee list but in terms of genre it’s a diverse slate. There’s gotta be at least two or three things you enjoy:

Agreed, excellent year for movies

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

GKIDS has confirmed that Boy and the Heron will be returning to theaters for a short time to celebrate the Oscar win, now let's go Godzilla

Holy moly the rerelease in Japan is going to have the English dub

Has that ever happened before

Edit: apparently Promare

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 12, 2024

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Here's a two part take:

Gladstone's role in killers is arguably supporting, not lead.

DJR was good, better than the other noms I've seen in that category, but that probably would have been more competitive.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Waffleman_ posted:

They can't return Godzilla to cinemas because their contract with Legendary stops them from releasing to close to Godzilla x Kong.

Also, Minus One not being nominated for best Foreign film is a crime (hell, personally I would've given it Best Film over Oppie as well).

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Apparently the producers intentionally asked Dunkaccino not to name the nominees, under the reasoning that they would probably be over time by then (they weren't) and people just wanted to get it over with by that point
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/al-pacino-apology-best-picture-announcement-backlash-oscars-1235938720/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ignis posted:

Apparently the producers intentionally asked Dunkaccino not to name the nominees, under the reasoning that they would probably be over time by then (they weren't) and people just wanted to get it over with by that point
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/al-pacino-apology-best-picture-announcement-backlash-oscars-1235938720/

quote:

Oscars host Jimmy Kimmel was asked by Kelly Ripa after the 2024 ceremony ended about Pacino’s awkward moment, to which Kimmel quipped: “I guess he’s never watched an awards show before. It seems like everyone in America knows the rhythm of how it’s supposed to go…down to the ‘And the Oscar goes to…’ But not Al Pacino! God bless him.”

Jesus, go to hell, Jimmy