Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I feel like the main thing I hear about Killers of a Flower Moon is that it's long. No good or bad, just long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

kdrudy posted:

I feel like the main thing I hear about Killers of a Flower Moon is that it's long. No good or bad, just long.

Those people are mentally weak

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah I could see Margot Robbie getting in, but I’d probably place Gerwig in over Triet. They are both pretty script defined films but need some comedy reps and not just all dramas.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

kdrudy posted:

For as bad as Jo Koy was at the Golden Globes, he nailed Killers' problem.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Gaius Marius posted:

Those people are mentally weak

This is correct. Toughen up America.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
I think Anatomy of a Fall might be my favorite movie this year, never gonna win though.

But mostly I just want Giamatti to win

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think the only thing in the race that could make me actually angry is Boy and Heron winning over Spiderverse.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I think the only thing in the race that could make me actually angry is Boy and Heron winning over Spiderverse.

Scratch that. Reverse it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

too bad cuz it's happening

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Every year there's a few people nominated for acting in films I have never heard of before. Then I wonder if I am noo longer plugged in, or if there's a reason I missed any buzz about them. This year it is Nyad and Rustin.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

Every year there's a few people nominated for acting in films I have never heard of before. Then I wonder if I am noo longer plugged in, or if there's a reason I missed any buzz about them. This year it is Nyad and Rustin.

Netflix loves Oscars.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

too bad cuz it's happening

We know academy will just go Elemental and disappoint us all.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

kdrudy posted:

Movie loving OWNED

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Killers of the Flower Moon flows real well - you do not feel its runtime at all. It's the brilliance of Scorsese.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Cataffy posted:

I think Anatomy of a Fall might be my favorite movie this year, never gonna win though.

could very well pick up best original screenplay

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot

kdrudy posted:

This is why I never quite worked up the willpower to see it theatrically. I’m still waiting for the drat thing to drop below a tenner on streaming. I’d sign up for a month of AppleTv to watch it, if there was a single other movie on the service that looked worthwhile too :argh:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

could very well pick up best original screenplay

yeah i think it'll be that or The Holdovers. one of the more competitive categories this year.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Lobster Henry posted:

This is why I never quite worked up the willpower to see it theatrically. I’m still waiting for the drat thing to drop below a tenner on streaming. I’d sign up for a month of AppleTv to watch it, if there was a single other movie on the service that looked worthwhile too :argh:

You could watch the 2022 Best Picture CODA. It's got fart jokes.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

kdrudy posted:

let me change that for you:

it's bad!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

kdrudy posted:

Honestly it didn't feel like it was 3.5 hours! There's always something interesting going on in it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Srice posted:

Honestly it didn't feel like it was 3.5 hours! There's always something interesting going on in it.

Sometimes it's a moron committing a heinous crime and then other times it's a different moron committing a different heinous crime.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

the thing that always interested me about watching KotFM was why it hadn't ended yet and why was leonardo dicaprio basically dominating most of the runtime. and didnt even get nominated lolol.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's funny that they've made it so well known that DiCaprio was originally supposed to be in Plemons' role because Plemons would've been much much better as Ernest.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Killers is fantastic and I don’t see the Leo issues that some have.

I wonder if it comes away with any wins beyond Actress. Original song was an unexpected nom though that’s always a strange category.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

People mad about Robbie/Gerwig snubs are basically just what happens when the movie from this Onion article actually gets awards nods: https://www.theonion.com/area-man-thinks-movie-he-saw-should-have-been-nominated-1822384201

I mean, I think Gerwig has a stronger case for deserving a nomination for the direction of those Barbieland sequences, but Robbie really wasn't anything remarkable. Also, America Ferrara was terrible, what the hell, those are the worst parts of the movie how the gently caress did that happen?

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
It’s very funny to me that Wes Anderson is almost certainly going to win his first Academy Award for The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

live with fruit posted:

Sometimes it's a moron committing a heinous crime and then other times it's a different moron committing a different heinous crime.

Yeah! Never a dull moment.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot

smug n stuff posted:

It’s very funny to me that Wes Anderson is almost certainly going to win his first Academy Award for The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar.

I’m in favour of this. It’s his best movie since Grand Budapest easily. The Roald Dahl shorts taken as a whole are top tier Wes. The man should do more adaptations of solidly plotted stories.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

smug n stuff posted:

I enjoyed it

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

smug n stuff posted:

He's up against Cuaron, so not necessarily. Almodovar getting snubbed helps, though.

Also, I really loved The Swan and wish that had gotten the nomination, but Henry Sugar was good too.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Wes pulling a Jamie Lee Curtis and winning for his worst work would be pretty funny

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Curtis has had a long career, I doubt she won for her worst work.

I also don’t think Henry Sugar is Wes’ worst, but it’s a short so hard to compare to his features. But I haven’t seen his shorts besides the ones from this year.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lobster Henry posted:

I’m in favour of this. It’s his best movie since Grand Budapest easily. The Roald Dahl shorts taken as a whole are top tier Wes. The man should do more adaptations of solidly plotted stories.

It was an unwatchably bad treatment of some nice nostalgic source material

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Henry Sugar's not even the worst of the shorts he put out. That'd be The Rat Catcher.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I didn't watch the rest

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

checkplease posted:

Curtis has had a long career, I doubt she won for her worst work.

To clarify I actually like EEAAO but her role is cartoonish B-villain which is what makes the win such an obvious "sorry sorry we should have done this sooner"

It would be like finally giving Leo an Oscar but for Don't Look Up instead of the at least somewhat plausible Revenant win

live with fruit posted:

Henry Sugar's not even the worst of the shorts he put out. That'd be The Rat Catcher.

The nicest thing I'll say is that the snake one was neat, but it was also the only one where the actors did anything but stare straight ahead and narrate in monotone (they did that too but they didn't only do that)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

More people should win awards for playing a cartoon as opposed to a boring sad person imo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/sonicpower1970/status/1749805508515799172?t=u71YD_E4Wr2lzOsP3fiomA&s=19

The Godzilla Minus One crew reacting to their nomination. A Godzilla movie even being nominated for an Oscar is huge.

Also Animated Film is gonna be a tight race between Heron and Spider-Verse, but I suspect the stories about the production of Spider-Verse which will lead to the cliffhanger not being resolved until at least 2025 combined with a post-Pinnochio Animation is Cinema wave may tilt the scales towards Heron.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 24, 2024

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
People giving awards to other people is always going to have an emotional element, even more so in the arts. You're gonna have people who get over the finish line for emotional reasons, might as well embrace it.

Also you can't discount the short but very very good stuff Jamie Lee did in the second half of EEAO. It wasn't just the cartoon villain character, if that's all it was I don't think she even gets nominated. She had some very emotional scenes as the movie goes on, and yes that includes hot dog finger universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
After all the goodwill Asians built up in Hollywood over the last decade, Jo Koy squandered it and now they’re punishing us by not giving Greta Lee a nom