Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Nice Van My Man posted:

Actually medium textures aren't bad, somethings just hosed with the way it does shaders and textures on PC. I knew some people fixing the low level fatal error by editing the shaders, but that's too much for me and I just lowered the quality, but there's still some sort of corruption going on. You can see with Eddie's blocky textures here. Anyone else seeing anything like this? If I dump the shader cache it goes back to normal but it's just a matter of time until the textures get blocky again.

I had this same issue and turning off variable rate shading seemed to fix it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I already have veriable rate shading off so it isn't that.

Also this is just weird but I am getting tbagged and ki charged in like 50% of my matches now. WTF is wrong with people? I have no idea why I suddenly made everyone's poo poo list. I noticed a gradual decline in decorum when I switched to Leroy but now that I'm back to Reina it's much worse. It's seriously starting to bum me out that everyone I play against is a loving jackass, I just want to play with cool people.

Edit: It's probably my fault for being home sick from work and matching up with a bunch of latchkey kids. Darn kids! *waves fist out window*

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 9, 2024

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

Nice Van My Man posted:

I found a 'fix' is to set the texture detail to medium. I tried bumping it back up to high with the last update+AMD update but it came back. I've never had a crash with textures set to medium. It's still pretty annoying because the medium textures look a lot worse than the high textures to me. Still better than randomly crashing out while playing online.

Edit:
Actually medium textures aren't bad, somethings just hosed with the way it does shaders and textures on PC. I knew some people fixing the low level fatal error by editing the shaders, but that's too much for me and I just lowered the quality, but there's still some sort of corruption going on. You can see with Eddie's blocky textures here. Anyone else seeing anything like this? If I dump the shader cache it goes back to normal but it's just a matter of time until the textures get blocky again.

Yeah, I've had trouble with this game since release and I've turned things down for stability and my main menu Eddy is blockier than me when trying to understand his strings.

I've tried a bunch of poo poo including turning off resizable BAR and rolling my drivers back to before the games release. It works now without hitching during matches and I'm scared to change anything.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nice Van My Man posted:

Also this is just weird but I am getting tbagged and ki charged in like 50% of my matches now. WTF is wrong with people? I have no idea why I suddenly made everyone's poo poo list. I noticed a gradual decline in decorum when I switched to Leroy but now that I'm back to Reina it's much worse. It's seriously starting to bum me out that everyone I play against is a loving jackass, I just want to play with cool people.

Edit: It's probably my fault for being home sick from work and matching up with a bunch of latchkey kids. Darn kids! *waves fist out window*

How is it possible to get offended by that? It's so much better than getting called the n word in every other game

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

spiritual bypass posted:

How is it possible to get offended by that? It's so much better than getting called the n word in every other game

BM is BM man, it’s not a contest

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I feel like players of certain characters (Kazuya, Hwoarang, Bryan, etc) seem more prone to stuff like teabagging, ki charge spam, launching new combos after the round is over, etc. Probably no small degree of confirmation bias, but it tends to be the Deliberate rear end in a top hat character archetypes.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Nice Van My Man posted:

I noticed it a few times last I played, but you can equip iirc the magic mirror and it'll just stop your opponent from doing anything at the end of the round if it really bugs you

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I noticed it a few times last I played, but you can equip iirc the magic mirror and it'll just stop your opponent from doing anything at the end of the round if it really bugs you

Is that how it works? I thought it was to stop you from doing it, not the opponent.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Tortolia posted:

Is that how it works? I thought it was to stop you from doing it, not the opponent.

I'm pretty sure? I think it was added post release in T7 specifically to stop people from tea bagging or ki charging or hitting you when you're down or whatever after the round ends?

I guess I've never actually tried it though because it's never really bugged me, at least not enough to bother :shrug:

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
They can still do it but you just won't see it.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Every once in awhile if there's space to do it safely I'll ki charge in hopes of landing like Shaheen's 4, 1 as a free counterhit launch but thats rare

But yeah bm from other people drains a lot of the fun

Revins fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 10, 2024

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Never been a fan of BM in any game environment so magic mirror is great. I was losing to a Victor who did nothing but his high string into gunshot teleport and EXPLOSION!!! spam who decided to start teabagging mid-match and I was like "lol, okay, sure you're good enough to be teabagging mid match. :rolleyes: "

I've taken a little break from playing Kuma and landed on playing Claudio. This guy is a lot of fun! When his reveal trailer came out a goon told me he was a decent intro character because he's very straightforward, and hey he is! He has obvious weaknesses - his low game is not strong and his bag of tricks (gimmicks) is quite shallow compared to Kuma, but when I land a whiff punish hopkick it's a really good feeling.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Never been a fan of BM in any game environment so magic mirror is great. I was losing to a Victor who did nothing but his high string into gunshot teleport and EXPLOSION!!! spam who decided to start teabagging mid-match and I was like "lol, okay, sure you're good enough to be teabagging mid match. :rolleyes: "

I genuinely want Victor to be dumpster tier just because of the people who play him.

(And for context, Lili players are more capable of blocking than Victor players. They don't know there even IS a back option.)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m having the same issue with dlc characters I had with Guilty Gear. Learning a new character is a huge curve and there’s like a billion characters I haven’t learned yet so why bother unless the new one looks amazing

With smash I feel like characters you can pick up very quickly so it was always fun to try the new ones, SF was similar where a lot of characters have a similar skeleton. Tekken every character feels like learning a new game (maybe cuz I play Yoshi)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

DeadButDelicious posted:

victor gunshot teleport is absolutely not real pressure, get in training mode until you duck and launch it every time. and explosion is launch punishable on block. see who teabags then.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

victor gunshot teleport is absolutely not real pressure, get in training mode until you duck and launch it every time. and explosion is launch punishable on block. see who teabags then.

you dont even need to duck the gunshot to own him. if you block the gunshot just hit your fastest mid and it'll beat every option he has. You can even go for a straight up launcher if he goes for any option but power crush

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Oh, I know. :) I had the jitters because it was my second (I think?) match with Claudio and even after a few hours in the training room I got into the fight and just flailed.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I’m not amazing at this game but got matched up against a Twitch streaming Tekken King (25th Dan, eight above my current Tenryu) and beat them in the first match 3-0 for a demotion.

They proceeded to absolutely beat my rear end for the remainder of the set, but hey, felt good

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I just want to say that I have not played a Tekken game since Tekken 2 but every time I see or think about this loving thread title I giggle like an idiot.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'm going to gently upgrade my view to 'The prevalence and versatility of Power Crushes is actually the single worst thing in this game, and I think it'd be a better game without most of them'.

Why the gently caress do they so often track? Why?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Shockeh posted:

I'm going to gently upgrade my view to 'The prevalence and versatility of Power Crushes is actually the single worst thing in this game, and I think it'd be a better game without most of them'.

Why the gently caress do they so often track? Why?

I’m enjoying the game mostly but the amount of poo poo that tracks compared to every previous game is really bad in my opinion. Some people say it’s more of a 2d than 3d game because of that and I don’t agree with that at all but it definitely is noticeable and not great.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I highly recommend the Tranquility mod for those who get frustrated with the ups and downs of ranked mode: https://tekkenmods.com/mod/3673/tranquility-no-stress-hud-modifier-for-tekken-8-v-1-2-0. It eliminates stuff like prowess, rank, points, etc. so you don't obsess over them unnecessarily. I'll admit I still take a peek at a player's profile sometimes but it's great going an entire session without dwelling on whether I'm close to demotion or promotion.

Levin fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 14, 2024

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I’m the opposite, being close to a rank-up motivates me to get better. I’ve learned that ”really really wanting to win” and ”give it everything i got” does not help, but practicing specific small improvements does help and accumulate fast over time. So ranking up feels like payoff on quality training. In games without that reward system I kind of play ranked mindlessly and eventually get bored and quit.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Aside from being slightly less wasteful with my heat gauge, I don't think I've made any notable improvements since I got the game. I'll never sidestep or otherwise treat Tekken as a non-2D experience, apparently. But I don't think I can ever get tired of eternally treading water in this game, unless the DLC characters end up feeling T7 Leroy levels of unfair.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I'm probably about 50/50 against Eddie, and that's without being able to lab him. I'm just using the tried and tested tech of "did he go into a stance next to me? If he didn't earn it quick poke him out, if he hit me then I'm in a mid/low mixup." I haven't noticed him spamming anything egregious.

There's so much to be good at in Tekken 8 that if side steps don't click yet I'm sure there's another area to focus on. I don't think I got side steps until like 2 years into Tekken 7.

And for ranking up the one thing that's messing with me is that PhiX video where he said your 3rd win in a row counts for way more points. Now I keep trying to chase the multiple of 3 dragon and it just makes things more frustrating.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I made it into the top 10 (in a 33-person bracket) of the online last-chance qualifier for my (small, Tekken-ly insignificant) country's national Tekken championships today. Last time I did anything tournamenty was in the Tekken 6 days, where I made it to what I believe were the losers' finals in a rinky-dink room with single-digit participants.

In this tourney, I was immediately stomped by a guy who's already qualified for the "real event", beat 3 players (including the most recent in-person tournament runner-up, somehow!) in fairly competitive sets, won an adrenaline-pumping rock/paper/scissor match via DMs against another poor soul whose NAT 2 type internet is also apparently incompatible with others of the same type, and was finally unceremoniously sent packing by the same guy who mollywhopped me in the opening round. He won all 6 rounds as Eddy in our first match, and 6 of 7 as Feng in the next, so I'm pretty sure this guy could just do a random pick and outfundamental me en route to a victory 999 out of a 1000 times.

Anyways, didn't know I could care that much about winning or losing in Tekken anymore, so that was surprisingly fun.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Nice. Feng is top teir and Eddie is an unknown element/possibly top tier so he definitly wasn't pulling any punches.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Fighting Lars is exhausting

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
This is my first Tekken game and I picked whoever looked cool and wound up with King. Based on what I'm reading so far, I am an objectively bad person for playing this character. Is that correct?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Umbreon posted:

This is my first Tekken game and I picked whoever looked cool and wound up with King. Based on what I'm reading so far, I am an objectively bad person for playing this character. Is that correct?

No you're actually very cool for picking the coolest character (except Armor King).

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Umbreon posted:

Tekken players hate Tekken and hate Tekken characters, so you're fine

King can be an incredible scrub killer until people internalize such concepts as "ducking". He's very, very strong in T8 beyond the general improvements to throws system-wise in this edition, but a lot of people just get frustrated losing to Kings who barely touch their moveset. If you like him, have fun with him!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

T8 King is maybe the best King has ever been and he still isn't the best character in T8 so don't feel bad about playing him

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Well drat. After spending the night just getting comboed for almost the entire match with no ways to break out of it and rarely ever getting to actually participate in much of anything, I don't think this is actually for me. I've played plenty of fighting games in the past, but this game has so much stuff that I found shockingly horrible that people just consider fine and normal. Like getting hit with one quick attack and boom 50% of your health is gone or more depending on the character and that's just normal? So many of my matches were over in 10 to 15 seconds across so many characters, I didn't even think anybody was particularly op or anything, I just sat there getting comboed and wondering why my wake up options were all whiffing or getting counter hit into another combo.

I assumed I was just new and bad that I was seeing wasn't normal, but then I started watching actual good players on YouTube and holy poo poo this is actually the way people normally play? Like ideally you want to make sure your opponent doesn't get to play as much as possible, and people find it fun to hit somebody once and then combo them for half their health or more, and then fish for hits to do that again and the match is over?

This really blows, I actually like this game a lot and it was really cool on so many levels, but so much stuff it's just shockingly bad to me that I can't ignore it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I will just say that because of the Z axis in Tekken, positioning, movement, and relative angles of engagement are extremely important and actually add quite a bit of difficulty and skill to those long launch/juggle/etc strings. If neither party ever sidesteps or rolls then it’s no different than something like a 45-50% dial-a-kombo in MK or a combo into level 3 super in SF6 for 60% health, but as soon as people start using lateral movement then all sorts of variables come into play, and there’s actually potentially a lot of improvisation needed to pull those strings off (plus things like wall/floor breaks, etc).

Ultimately T8 is a high damage game, but there’s a ton under the hood and it really opens up as you put time into it. That doesn’t mean it’s going to be for everyone, though, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Umbreon posted:

Like ideally you want to make sure your opponent doesn't get to play as much as possible

just so you know, this is pretty much the ideal high level play across fighting games in general

it's okay to not like tekken or think it's not for you or you don't enjoy it! but this aspect is common, especially as you get into the more competitive levels - this iteration in particular has very strong tools to keep the initiative and i think it's acknowledged across the player base

a lot of people will find a thing that works, hopefully it leads to a situation where they get to force you to guess, and hopefully, they themselves don't have to guess and even if you guess right, they are at best, back at even between the two players - the genre is oppressive like that

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Artelier posted:

just so you know, this is pretty much the ideal high level play across fighting games in general

it's okay to not like tekken or think it's not for you or you don't enjoy it! but this aspect is common, especially as you get into the more competitive levels - this iteration in particular has very strong tools to keep the initiative and i think it's acknowledged across the player base

a lot of people will find a thing that works, hopefully it leads to a situation where they get to force you to guess, and hopefully, they themselves don't have to guess and even if you guess right, they are at best, back at even between the two players - the genre is oppressive like that

What was killing me the most about this is not just that it's like that at high level play, it's moreso that I'm already facing this right at the bottom of the ladder. With other fighting games, I could see the crazy stuff they do at high level and think "oh that's never going to happen because I'm never going to be that good anyway so I'll just sit down here and scrub land and actually get the have matches that last longer than a few seconds, I'll play with my friends who are roughly similar skill level since we're all casual and just stay low rank since anyone who's good will be doing that to each other all day at a higher rank".

But I was consistently getting hit with this horrible stuff right off the bat in my first hour of ranked play. The barrier to entry on doing that is shockingly easy, TOO easy in my opinion. With everyone and their mom able to do it, there's nowhere that's really safe from it, so you either learn how to do it to other people and make them suffer too, or you leave. I can't bring myself to learn that kind of stuff, it's really frustrating to have that happen to me and I don't want to inflict it on anybody else. I'm sure everybody's used to it and they'll just say "that's Tekken", but to me that still feels super gross. The were a couple matches where I actually did that to other players and man it felt really bad, like I was just shooting fish in a barrel and I didn't really earn those wins.

I think I might just be too much of an overly sensitive baby to properly enjoy this game. On paper I can see how the action is extremely fun and intense, especially when you know what you're doing and you can tell what's going on and what to do about it. I'll keep pushing through, maybe there's some fun to be had and being a punching bag who never really combos you or does anything that ends your match in a few seconds but still wins somehow, I don't know.

This game is just too cool to give up on completely.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
This game isnt for you if you think doing a combo is cheap

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It’s also entirely possible that you’re facing folks who are ranking up different characters and already have a solid grasp of the system and fundamentals. If their Tekken Power value is much higher than yours, it’s probably not their first time climbing the ladder even if they’re relatively close in terms of character rank.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Umbreon posted:

I think I might just be too much of an overly sensitive baby to properly enjoy this game.

yes, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Umbreon posted:

Like getting hit with one quick attack and boom 50% of your health is gone or more depending on the character

I guess the question is, are you unhappy that you're getting hit with big combo damage, or that it exists at all?

Most launchers that lead to that are very unsafe and can be punished with big damage in return if you block them, or they only launch if they counter hit, so in both cases they are less effective on defensive players. These moves exist because their threat discourages players from just randomly swinging, which actually encourages thoughtful play and working on movement and defense. If it's specifically the feeling of being juggled and losing control, yeah I guess that doesn't feel great, but Tekken has always been a very lethal game and earlier games also just ended in a couple of touches -- it's just that the actual pokes did hella more damage. Combos encourage more stylin' and and also increases the importance of the wall which is a huge part of the game.

I guess it's -- what would you want fighting in this game to be, and maybe we can suggest playstyles or something that would fit in here. I guess it comes down to mentally framing getting styled on as "suffering," I guess there are people who think of that as agony (I have been guilty of this too lol) rather than just part of the fun of it lol

Edit: like, this is what actual fighting game suffering looks like

https://twitter.com/kauloversace_/status/1779468886594711917

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 17, 2024