Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Feng's change seems good. I've noticed the move missing players it should hit way more than I've noticed it crushing moves it shouldn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I finally got to red ranks.
Thanks everyone for your earlier support.

Now I'm trying to learn how to consistently set up a wall situation.

Leo is fun. You always have something to sneak into the opponents' mental stack.
My first attempts are trying to setup a wall splat, then b+1,4 KNK3, 4 into b+1+2,1+2,1+2
Is this good enough or should I test something different?

Char fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 31, 2024

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Char posted:

I finally got to red ranks.
Thanks everyone for your earlier support.

Now I'm trying to learn how to consistently set up a wall situation.

Leo is fun. You always have something to sneak into the opponents' mental stack.
My first attempts are trying to setup a wall splat, then b+1,4 KNK3, 4 into b+1+2,1+2,1+2
Is this good enough or should I test something different?

i think doing BOK 1+2 into guaranteed d+3+4 would be more damage than the b+1+2 string, but it's probably more finnicky to use in some situations or something

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I too am flirting with red ranks and it's this weird situation where I'm blowing up 150k folks and getting blown up by 75k folks and I guess that number don't mean that much.

So bryan mains and sidestep gurus, help me out with something. I've been watching my replays in which i get downloaded after i win the first match trying to come up with alternate stuff or just trying to be less predictable. Here is my problem, best i can describe it.

When I'm in my element starting out things are great. I'm mixing up my openings, finding good interrupt opportunities, keeping up frame traps and doing my general oppressive control of the space in front of me. I push forward with high low mixups, throw my fat crumple 34s and d34s and qcfs 1 and 3/4 mixups, switch it up when i get close, and get fat value from ws1/2 interrupts, cool.

And then it clicks on their end, and they back the hell up and guard up. Now if this is a less cracked player, depending on their character/knowledge options, i can still get in, try to bait something out etc. If they're good and patient, now I'm hosed. When i whiff I'm taking big punish damage. Kings and jins just start throwing armor moves, other mishimas start the mixup strings etc and i totally lose initiative and get whittled down. Some of it is knowledge checks i dont have down sure but a lot of characters can just use their superior moves to bully their character thru to point blank range where a lot of bryans control tools are not as potent while at frame disadvantage and play the baiting game at far range until they can bully thru from my mistakes.

How do i stop from falling into this trap? Should i be working on my movement and trying to sidewalk bait some stuff? Rushing in and attacking almost never seems to be the right call.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
You are much further along than me and putting in more thought and actual strategy, but kind of describing my same issue.

Play my heart out, have a plan, get some serious rush down wins, and then:

Heat armor armor sneak in a launcher dial a combo armor armor hit confirm rage

Over simplifying, but that is pretty much my opponent strat when I let off the rush down gas or miss something critical. I side step a bunch and evaluate space throughout the match.

Old man in me wishes there was a hardcore Matchmake without the win button moves.

In third strike for example I can poo poo on someone doing predictable stuff like that cause I played so many scenarios. In t8 I can’t yet and i won’t invest the time in replay or whatever to learn all of the situations. Like I am not going to watch some streamer or high level replays but love that it’s an option for those that really want to get that deep into it fast without the hundreds of hours of different matchup experience.

Bryan does seem badass and is a rare matchup for me! I’d probably panic armor heat rage on a failed rushdown.

swims fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 1, 2024

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Please pitch me a second character to play! I've been maining Reina all this time, and I've made it to the bottom of the purple ranks thanks to everyone's advice and now Every Fight Is Brutal so I want to take a break for a bit by dipping elsewhere. Like they're still matches that could go either way, but they're sweaty as hell now.

I'm not too particular on what this second character is and almost everyone looks kind of fun tbh! But here are things that appeal to me right now when I think of switching:
- Has a good low in there somewhere; Reina only had okay-okay lows
- Maybe doesn't go from one stance to another all the time - some stances is fine, more like I don't wanna do the "f, f+2 or 1, 1, 2 or df+1 into Sentai stance" that Reina did all the time
- Fun combos I guess? Stylish, or satisfying to hit, or both, or anything really that is "fun" to you

I realise this is likely most of the cast, but I dunno, it's still hard for me to pinpoint what I want. I picked Reina initially because her trailer showed off her stompy stomp gameplay (which turned out to be in the movelist but doesn't trigger as often as the trailer would imply). By the time I realised I wasn't gonna be stomping all the time I kind of was all-in on learning her.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If they're armoring so much just throw em. Or block because almost all armored mids are unsafe

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Artelier posted:

Please pitch me a second character to play! I've been maining Reina all this time, and I've made it to the bottom of the purple ranks thanks to everyone's advice and now Every Fight Is Brutal so I want to take a break for a bit by dipping elsewhere. Like they're still matches that could go either way, but they're sweaty as hell now.

Are there any characters that you’ve been matched up against and thought they seemed cool or interesting? Maybe pick a handful of those to narrow it down.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

OxMan posted:

And then it clicks on their end, and they back the hell up and guard up. Now if this is a less cracked player, depending on their character/knowledge options, i can still get in, try to bait something out etc. If they're good and patient, now I'm hosed. When i whiff I'm taking big punish damage. Kings and jins just start throwing armor moves, other mishimas start the mixup strings etc and i totally lose initiative and get whittled down. Some of it is knowledge checks i dont have down sure but a lot of characters can just use their superior moves to bully their character thru to point blank range where a lot of bryans control tools are not as potent while at frame disadvantage and play the baiting game at far range until they can bully thru from my mistakes.

I don't play bryan but I don't think this is a matter of superior moves at all, you're just finally running into opponents that actually play defense. Mid/late red rank is where flowcharts and unga bunga offense start to fail and you need to actually figure out how to open up an opponent. IME, most of tekken at this level is training your opponent to predict what you're going to do, and then do the thing that blows that up. At the most basic level this means (for example) hatchet kick until they start to block low and then launch them for it. You want to force your opponent into (at least what they think is) a 50/50 and make them guess wrong as much as possible.

swims posted:

Old man in me wishes there was a hardcore Matchmake without the win button moves.

don't scrubquote, nobody in this game has a win button move that your character doesn't lmao.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

With 8 going down for maintenance tonight for patch + Eddy, instead of running Kinder Gym's usual Monday night FT5 exhibitions we are doing T7 so I installed it last night and fired it up and on one hand I really miss parts of it (Craig and Anna) but on the other hand gently caress this game (load times, other people crashing constantly). I'm glad we're getting Eddy pre-Evo Japan, I was getting worried he wouldn't be out by then and the announcement would just be his full trailer. Fingers crossed we get aforementioned #1 MMA Man or The Better Williams announced.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

swims posted:

You have no idea how badly I want this lol. I really despise heat at the moment and RA entirely. There is a nugget of a good idea in heat, mainly access to new unique moves, allowing aggressive chip pressure, and the dash, but heat smash heat engagers, armored heat enagers and overturned moves make the current state of the game mediocre. It's annoying because the game is still largely fun to play, the movelists are good, and it looks great then you are poking and get hit with an armored mid heat engager and have to eat a mixup and it becomes unfun right away. All of that to say, I've been dipping back into tekken 6 online here and there recently where the only system is rage without ra (so just some increased damage output when at low health) and its just such a more pure and enjoyable experience. I wish I could have that mode in t8. Another thought I had is there should be a toggleable setting in the menus to enable "short RAs". It's not even about being on the receiving end that annoys me about RAs, I dont like using them either because of how long that poo poo is. If I had the option to turn on a short RA with say feng and instead of the normal animation it did a quick ~2 second cinematic where you hit the original punch and then a quick B 1+2 shoulder with lightning sparks or w/e I'd be much happier. RA cinematics are designed for trailers and new players (who will get tired of it soon enough) but for most of the people who will be playing this game for years its a chore and those are the people who matter the most.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I fuckin love this game, man

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i'm not a huge fan of all the "skip neutral" mechanics that seem to be all the rage with current year fighting games but tekken 8 is still in its 1.0 release and it's imo way, way better than most fighting games tend to be in that state. especially by tekken standards. I think heat and ra is better balanced and less annoying than DI and level 3s in SF6 at least. i'll worry about it if they double down in a patch, otherwise i think it'll work itself out.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i'm not a huge fan of all the "skip neutral" mechanics that seem to be all the rage with current year fighting games but tekken 8 is still in its 1.0 release and it's imo way, way better than most fighting games tend to be in that state. especially by tekken standards. I think heat and ra is better balanced and less annoying than DI and level 3s in SF6 at least. i'll worry about it if they double down in a patch, otherwise i think it'll work itself out.

I'm holding hope that all this poo poo will be dialed down in due time. Especially since tekken always had 2 ish years in arcades before console release to tweak things in previous cycles. That being said Heat and RA don't work well together and heat is not going away, because its this edition's system, and I don't see them being prudent enough to remove RAs because fgs in 2024 "need" a comeback mechanic and the crowd watching tournaments "need" to see flashy cinematics every 3 minutes.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 1, 2024

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I don't mind Rage Arts but I am getting tired of being sniped with them constantly no matter who I'm fighting, in 7 you only had to play around that with Steve, Anna and Jin and now anyone can just see you are starting a string and pull the trigger if they have enough health to absorb the first hit. At least slow them back down to where if they RA right when a jab is connecting you still have time to return to blocking, pretty crazy that the fastest recovering moves in the game still get bopped even if the RA starts right on hit connection.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Nazzadan posted:

I don't mind Rage Arts but I am getting tired of being sniped with them constantly no matter who I'm fighting, in 7 you only had to play around that with Steve, Anna and Jin and now anyone can just see you are starting a string and pull the trigger if they have enough health to absorb the first hit. At least slow them back down to where if they RA right when a jab is connecting you still have time to return to blocking, pretty crazy that the fastest recovering moves in the game still get bopped even if the RA starts right on hit connection.

And RAs are 10 frames less negative now for no reason lol.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Mid/late red rank is where flowcharts and unga bunga offense start to fail and you need to actually figure out how to open up an opponent. IME, most of tekken at this level is training your opponent to predict what you're going to do, and then do the thing that blows that up. At the most basic level this means (for example) hatchet kick until they start to block low and then launch them for it. You want to force your opponent into (at least what they think is) a 50/50 and make them guess wrong as much as possible.

Yeah, this is the problem I'm having, getting back into position to start pressing those buttons after they back off. I always feel I'm making the wrong choice when I'm trying to get back into button range. If i walk or dash up block they wait me out, and power thru other buttons. I

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In my experience, once you get into the mid ranks you run a lot less into RA spam, I’ve had plenty of matches recently where there’s only like one or two in the entire set. It’s at a point where I’ve started getting surprised by them again due to relative infrequency, and the people who over-rely on them often are fairly easy to bait, block and punish once you realize that they’re a “red means go” player.

I think the fact that the combo damage scaling on RAs is pretty severe prevents what you see in SF6 where matches are constantly combo-into-super 3 territory for a majority of the cast.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Haven’t played for a good while but I agree that rage arts are eh. I don’t blame them for putting them in. It’s kinda just the current trend. But tbh the mental on knowing someone’s got it and they can throw it raw makes the end of a round really obnoxious, regardless of whether they toss it or don’t.

Heat is fine imho. The chip is kinda rough but at the same time I don’t know that chip has ever been the deciding factor in a loss for me, and I block a good amount. Much like RA though, heat can gently caress with your mental and the mixes that come out of it are pretty obnoxious. I like it, just think it needs tweaks. The immense abundance of power crush heat engagers are like.. kind of annoying and yet I think if you’re gonna use the heat engager system in tandem with heat, you gotta give people easy ways to get into it. If you don’t, it feels punitive to newer players which kinda sucks.

I got burnt out because overall it seems like a rough draft of something they could improve on. Plus I suck and Tekken is knowledge check the game so I realized I didn’t have the patience to keep with it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

the real trick is to not deal with your opponents knowledge checks, and instead make them deal with your knowledge checks :hai:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

OxMan posted:

Yeah, this is the problem I'm having, getting back into position to start pressing those buttons after they back off. I always feel I'm making the wrong choice when I'm trying to get back into button range. If i walk or dash up block they wait me out, and power thru other buttons. I

It sounds like you're always pressing the attack, which will only get you so far. The flip side of having to deal with people being defensive is that you also have to learn to be defensive, but more than that patient. There's zero reason to push if you have the life lead, just take the time to let them do their thing and gather data. I'll tell ya as a hard stuck mighty ruler, the thing that gets me killed most often is running my offense when i don't have to, because the more tricks I show them up front the more time they have to figure me out.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Weird Pumpkin posted:

the real trick is to not deal with your opponents knowledge checks, and instead make them deal with your knowledge checks :hai:

The Zafina Gambit

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
At what rank is Feng's backturned throw gonna stop working because I don't want to give up this glamorous lifestyle

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

It's a pure mix so unless you've given them a reason to duck, never

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It sounds like you're always pressing the attack, which will only get you so far. The flip side of having to deal with people being defensive is that you also have to learn to be defensive, but more than that patient. There's zero reason to push if you have the life lead, just take the time to let them do their thing and gather data. I'll tell ya as a hard stuck mighty ruler, the thing that gets me killed most often is running my offense when i don't have to, because the more tricks I show them up front the more time they have to figure me out.

Yeah this is it. I don't NEED to run after them, often times this happens when i have like a 3 to 1 life lead. Just gotta tell myself that even the FURY needs to chill when I'm already in the advantageous position.

Edit:

I'm seeing it so much now especially that last part really sticking out because my very mentality is "and now I'll come in with something new" when i move in which gets blown up, downloaded, and countered next time. And "now I'll just park my rear end back and wait for the run up" is what i actually need to do and there's no need to switch it up until they counter what got me that life lead to begin with. As long as they're trying to get in my space I'm keeping the initiative anyways.

Thanks dr fishopolis and everyone else

OxMan fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 1, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Weird Pumpkin posted:

This is true, but I’m both a player that prefers defensive play and also poo poo at defensive play in Tekken specifically heh.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Artelier posted:

I'm not too particular on what this second character is and almost everyone looks kind of fun tbh! But here are things that appeal to me right now when I think of switching:
- Maybe doesn't go from one stance to another all the time - some stances is fine, more like I don't wanna do the "f, f+2 or 1, 1, 2 or df+1 into Sentai stance" that Reina did all the time
- Fun combos I guess? Stylish, or satisfying to hit, or both, or anything really that is "fun" to you

I realise this is likely most of the cast, but I dunno, it's still hard for me to pinpoint what I want. I picked Reina initially because her trailer showed off her stompy stomp gameplay (which turned out to be in the movelist but doesn't trigger as often as the trailer would imply). By the time I realised I wasn't gonna be stomping all the time I kind of was all-in on learning her.

Hmmm: She can stompy stomp after a number of knockdowns guaranteed, she can attempt stompy stomp after a number of knockdowns and get it if the opponent doesn't react in time, she can jab-stompy stomp as her wallcombo for solid damage, and stompy stomp is probably her premiere heat extended combo finisher. How much stompy stomp is enough for you? :)

My favorite new character to learn is whoever looks coolest among those that have given me the most trouble, even if the character doesn't end up clicking, you've spend time that'll help you against them in the future.

For the "I want to play something different, right now!" character I'd suggest trying Azu. She's overshadowed by her wr3,2 but she's actually really fun to play in the neutral. Solid movement and long range kicks with hitconfirmable followups, ch confirms with easy followup combos. You can pick her up within a day or so and quickly be spending time on fundamental skills like those hitconfirms and wall space conversions. Lows are maybe so-so, but significantly better than Reina's. Stance movement and crouchgrab setups for extra style points. I agree with most people that she gets a little boring after a while, but for a quick and easy palate cleanser she works great.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I've got to admit I've started loving the heat smash attack. It's a get out of pressure free tool and a last hit free tool if I didn't use it during the match. I would like them to tone down any of the heat burst moves that are basically instant full screen attacks. Whenever Devil Jin or Jun are in heat (also lol at the terminology) the match basically grinds to a halt until it's over or they use their burst attack. I don't know if heat is good, but at least I'm getting some use out of it.

Rage arts can gently caress off though. I'm in blue ranks with Leroy and still getting rage arted constantly. Like someone said the fact I can't even pull a 1 jab in before getting hit is rediculous. Let me at lest get a poke out for god sake. If I thought someone was rage art happy in 7 I'd jab then block, but when I try the same thing in 8 I get hit. Maybe it's just the reduced input lag? I'm not sure if the startup is actually different. I also miss having an alternate way to spend RAs because T7 already trained me not to do them.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I think the RAs are ok, I've got a lot of wins from blocking them :D

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Artelier posted:

Please pitch me a second character to play!
Bryan Fury

Artelier posted:

qcb3

Artelier posted:

Stanceless, but has qcf and qcb

Artelier posted:

Best combo feel in the game imo

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
For real though, I've had some odd games where the other player has just stood there for 15 seconds instead of running offence because they expect me to suicide into their RA and they don't know what to do. I'm expecting that gets less common as you rank up. Overall i don't mind the mechanic. I do wish the cutscenes were waaaay shorter. Like 2 seconds max.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Artelier posted:

Please pitch me a second character to play!

Lee is really fun and cool but there is some execution stuff that might be annoying if you want to learn him to a real high level. That being said there are alternatives to his just frame punishes and stuff like b2 combos that do less damage and have less carry but are still good.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Just jack it 24/7

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Just started the game and Eddie is scowling at me.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Oh, man what time will he be unlocked, I'm so hype.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

You can use him now!!!!! He didnt show up right away, so on xbox go to manage game and add ons and manually select it to install. It might be similar on PS5

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Seltzer posted:

You can use him now!!!!! He didnt show up right away, so on xbox go to manage game and add ons and manually select it to install. It might be similar on PS5

You can't loving sit in relax anymore. I loving knew it when they never showed that happen in the trailers. So loving wack man, they had to take that away, why? core part of the character from always. Really pissed over this tbh.

e- No 1+2, 1+2 from relax anymore either.

e2- no while running 3 slide. They hosed this character so hard

e3- no spring kick from relax or handstand

They really fumbled this. Now he's becoming like any other stance character

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 2, 2024

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

They also nerfed his backdash and buffed his sidestep, they really want every character to be more similar than ever.

and if you don't care about the character but wonder what he's gonna be like to face they gave him a lot of stupid and broken tools. It's not gonna be fun! A range 3.5 armored heat engager, a mid safe heat engager, relax 3 (low) counter hits for a combo, ff3 which is a high crush slide low that gets you into relax gives a guaranteed throw after CH for 64 damage.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 2, 2024

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Artelier posted:

Maybe you want Lee? He has great lows and mixups with lows in them. He does have two stances technically, but one stance is "mist step" where you tap forward and then stick neutral, and he does a little crouch dash forward - so it's more of a movement tool and a momentary starter to some moves.

His other stance is Hitman but you definitely don't have to use it all the time. You can cancel a decent amount of other moves into it and it allows for really dynamic and unpredictable play.

He does have fun combos and he's satisfying to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I really want a single universal change, and that's just for Power Crushes to take a hit in general. There's so many bads just throwing them out willy nilly after anything, it's like a sea of poo poo Asukas, and it's annoying.

I don't even care how. Make none of them track. Make the armour kick in a few frames later. Make any Low crush them. Make them all Launchable on block, for all I care. Just something standard to say 'Don't loving hit this like a universal solvent at every opportunity'.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 2, 2024