Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
After my meltdown last night, I've thought about tekken 8 Eddy and my sentiment remains the same that they reformulated this character in a very very lame way that's both more oppressive to play against and less fun to play as. The character doesn't really even feel like eddy at all to me anymore, it feels like a character inspired by eddy, or a vaguely similar but significantly different character in a similar archetype like shoto or mishima. Yeah that's basically it, eddy is a lame capo. Anyways I'll try to keep it short but the essence of eddy, and the appeal of the character to me were a couple of things. Dancing in and out of range- having a toolkit that could create space or move in very effectively at all times. Backdash spacing- A strong backdash but very weak sidestep made him feel very unique from the rest of the cast and was a core element to the character. Lastly, the fluidity of his stances and the interplay between them- There are many stance characters but eddy had the best flow between them in my opinion. You're meant to go in and out of stances a lot and from stance to stance and not just contextually. His stances flow in a really pleasing and sensical way that other characters stances dont. Also the fact he only gets floated out of negativa or headstand means it was more viable to use and chain this fluidity.

All of those things have been changed or diminished and it's ruined his feel and identity. As I said above, his backdash was nerfed and side step buffed, so that aspect is gone. Many of his distance creating or closing moves have been altered or removed with a focus on aggression and getting in instead (this to me is summed up nicely the fact you can't roll back out of negativa and now have a slide forwards instead). Regarding his stances and fluidity, they're gutted and he feels janky now. The flow they built over 20 + years is gone. It's not just new moves and removed ones, headstand and negativa, his two main stances have been altered significantly to the point where they can't behave like every other version of eddy by design. First, negativa is not indefinite now, which alone is a huge blow to the mind games and conditioning of eddy, this already interrupts the flow (and a lot of the signature moves out of it were taken out too in this new rendition). Even more disruptive is his head stand faces toward the opponent now so a lot of classic transitions and setups are impossible because the way he's facing. Some examples are df3 to create space into headstand for a whiff, or f3 into headstand to pressure hesitant opponents. Other key stuff like headstand d4,d into negativa does not exist anymore. The flow and swagger is gone, everything is choppy now.

Last thing is a minor gripe but they "simplified" his inputs which were already simple. The change was completely unnecessary and actually detrimental in some cases. I never messed up df 3+4 in tekken 7, but apparently that was too hard and now it's df3 which ill ocassionally mess up into f3 or d3. They removed his slide inputs totally and as a consequence (I cant see why else) two of his most iconic moves 3~4 and negativa 4~3 are straight up removed now. Slide inputs aren't even hard and they feel good to do. They also gutted or changed a lot of other iconic moves for dumb and or bad reasons.

This is the most bummed out I've been by tekken since I started playing it and its my favorite FG. Even if it reads like I'm being dramatic I'm good, just really disappointed. There's other fun characters in the game and there are other games to play. Just really annoyed by a lot of the game mechanics currently and namco destroying my main was not a fun gift to receive. I figured I'd type this up to explain things to people who might not have ever used him + I don't know if you'll see anything similarly written up online because eddy was low tier in tekken 7 and now will probably be pretty broken and most people just care about how good the character theyre using is when it comes to discourse. Anyways I hope they don't ruin anyone elses main that may come later in DLC. My current plan is to use him for about a week until I get so bummed out that I eventually switch and learn raven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Since it’s live now, a few things about the fightpass:

1) The season lasts through the end of May, so there’s two months to complete it.
2) Both the free and paid tracks have a variety of customizations, which do include outfits, accessories, hair and makeup options for the actual fighters and not just the avatars.
3) The pass has a total of 60 levels, and the usual set of daily and weekly missions; they basically boil down to “play the game, win sometimes”, so no weird gimmicks involved if this set is anything to go by. I played about 90 minutes this evening and completed 5/5 dailies and 8/9 weeklies; finished up just below level 10.
4) The paid fightpass track costs 600 Tekken coins (so about six bucks) but gives you back that many if you level it up fully.

So, not that dissimilar from what SF6 is doing, but on a seemingly more reasonable timeframe overall, and with things that you’ll actually want and be able to use.

Edit: the disconnect percentage tracker is working properly now, which ostensibly will help deal with pluggers.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 3, 2024

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tortolia posted:

Since it’s live now, a few things about the fightpass:

I don't understand, none of this information is making me upset. :confuoot:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
lmfao

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

I don't understand, none of this information is making me upset. :confuoot:

Yeah, it’s actually done as sensibly and reasonably as ongoing non-character-pass monetization is going to get in a big budget game in 2024. I don’t like that we’re here but it’s workable.

Also one of the fightpass rewards is a turtle shell for your avatar and I can’t see that as being anything other than a dig at Capcom for the whole TMNT nonsense in SF6.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I'm holding out for cube personally, and I'll go nuts if they round out the colletion with cone.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I logged on to play Tekken 8 yesterday, and it felt a bad time to choose to be beginner with a 1000 alt eddies in the rank queue.

I'm trying out Nina, and I've written out about 20 moves with frame data and notes, but I feel like choice paralysis is real. Should I just pick a jab string, a frame trap, a quick low, and i10 and i15 punish and a combo for launchers and just fine tune that 1000 times, or is it worth just throwing out everything to begin with and just see what sticks?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you're in low ranks, pick a few things that seem relatively reliable and use those until they stop working. Don't overload your own mental stack more than the game's already going to do for you.

Zafina's a bit weird in that she's got so many different stance transitions and weird use cases that a lot of my learning has been noticing that I did something unexpected in that last round and try to reverse engineer what it was, so I can try to incorporate it in future if it's sensible to do so, but more than two months into the game I'm still accidentally busting out new moves, and in the extremely rare case I get a mirror they're usually doing things I'm not so I can try to sort that out as well.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Been languishing with Zafina in Raijin atm, I will say using ALL three of her stances is pretty key to keep the pressure. WS3 is a great move and on block will leave you 0 so you can at least go for something when you transition to scarecrow. 1,4 going into tarantula stance is also a good option, especially if they block 1,3. your minus if you go into scarecrow and it will screw you. so canceling the stance until you can confirm it is a good way to go, alternately 1,4 should definitely be used in conjunction with it. 1,4, from scarecrow and mantis to go into tarantula is also good to keep in mind. basically ideally you want to get some nice plus frames while tranistioning into all 3 stances, which will make zafina into a hell blender pressure wise. In tekken 6 and 7 tarantula felt gimmicky, but here i think it's quite necessary. you'll see even shadow20z use it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Weasling Weasel posted:

I logged on to play Tekken 8 yesterday, and it felt a bad time to choose to be beginner with a 1000 alt eddies in the rank queue.

I'm trying out Nina, and I've written out about 20 moves with frame data and notes, but I feel like choice paralysis is real. Should I just pick a jab string, a frame trap, a quick low, and i10 and i15 punish and a combo for launchers and just fine tune that 1000 times, or is it worth just throwing out everything to begin with and just see what sticks?

do the first part first and then experiment from there. getting used to moving around, blocking, whiff punishing, launch combos and counterhit combos is more important than anything specific your character does at first, so getting good with the basic toolkit is generally your first priority.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

polish sausage posted:

In tekken 6 and 7 tarantula felt gimmicky, but here i think it's quite necessary. you'll see even shadow20z use it.

Yeah this feels like a big thing now. 1,4 lands well if they are conditioned to expect a duckable jab followup like df1,4. Also getting into it from SCR.1+2 on hit is where the Weird Zafina Scenarios happen most lol.

I hope the backdash bug is fixed soon, the self-damage buffs seem pretty good but on the other hand, it just makes that feel like a vestigial mechanic now lol. I guess it's still impactful if you're an f1+2 spammer like me

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There's more Zafina players in this thread than I've been matched up with online, I think.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I just finished taking Eddy from beginner to garyu to hopefully get a feel for what to watch out for when I face him in the future. I ran into 0 Zafinas, which is extremely close to the number of Zafinas I've met while playing as the rest of the roster.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The only characters I've fought against less than Zafina is Shaheen and Panda.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
First time that I've never seen any Bryan, Dragunov or Victor in ranked, of the dozen or so matches I played last night it was all Eddy, except for a run of Steve/Jun/Devil Jin.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Somehow hit Mighty Ruler. Game’s good, I think

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I can't get out of Fujin as Leroy and I'm hating ever minute of it. Why can't I stop myself form picking him? There's like a hard cutoff between purple and blue where suddenly they know all my bullshit.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
According to ranked distribution charts from about a month ago Fujin and up is the top 5% of players in the game... So expect to be there for awhile lol.

The curve is steep so unless you think you're in the top ~%.5 in the world you should get used to blues. Blue is a great achievement btw.

e- the curve might have changed a bit since then but last I looked its till very steep at the end by design.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Got Reina to Bushin before I decided to branch out :cool: Leroy just can't carry me dish the pressure out the same way, he really benefits from knowing the matchups and how to defend and punish more than I do. I can beat every Reina and Feng I come up against though so I probably just need more matchup knowledge. All the Kazuyas are hardcore murderers who perfectly counter every move I do, but they're the exception. I think it's time for me to pick someone else or maybe go back and see if I can get Reina a little higher.

Also the rage arts never stop. I know I wasn't this bad about being hit be rage arts in Tekken 7.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
gary is a great achievement

Char
Jan 5, 2013
One day you get close to Shiryu
the next day you barely save yourself from getting back into Destroyer

This goddamn game. It makes me feel I'm stealing all of my wins.
Which is probably true

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If I were on PC I would install that mod that blanks out all reference to rank lol.

For the most part I try to keep zen about the actual rank thing, my main thing is thinking "did that match feel winnable" and if the majority of them are, even if I'm losing, then it's probably ok.

Every so often I run into an opponent that downloads everything I do after one round and where I can't even get a poke in because their defense is completely on another level and that's a good reminder of the contrast with winnable games for me lol

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've made it up the ladder by getting into a new tier, bobbing around there for a bit, having a demotion/repromotion or two, then gradually rising up and eventually blinking into the next rank. It's pretty normal, and I think the game sets you up for that by giving a bonus boost of rank points when you do promote just to make sure you don't fall back down again immediately.

I know I'm getting better because my win percent has increased over the last month or so from 38% to 44%; it's gradual but reinforces the feeling that I'm doing consistently stronger even if occasonally I take a hard 0-2 sweep.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Well, without a rank reference, my session today has been a 8 loss streak :v:
On the other hand I think I slept like 5 hourse today so that might be related

I didn't track my winrate much but I've yet to break 40%.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thought this was interesting, Phi did a match analysis breakdown of a recent Saudi tournament match that may well have been a primary source for Arslan's recent saltposting about T8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5FVOm5tId4

It's interesting to watch because it shows a lot about how the breakdown of T8 is different than T7 and not purely in a "there's armored heat engagers that gently caress everything up" way like some of the recent discourse has trended.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If I were on PC I would install that mod that blanks out all reference to rank lol.

Thanks for the reminder about that mod. I totally want to rock it for a few months and then disable it just to see where I'm at before enabling it again and repeating.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Char posted:

One day you get close to Shiryu
the next day you barely save yourself from getting back into Destroyer

This goddamn game. It makes me feel I'm stealing all of my wins.
Which is probably true

Char posted:

I didn't track my winrate much but I've yet to break 40%.

Is winrate by round, match, or set?

The problem you have isn't "stealing" wins, it's not embracing the steal. I beat people way higher rank than me who don't respect RAs, go heavy on throws or mixups in different sets etc. Surprise wins fights. Confusion wins fights. I'll condition an overhead after heat smash for 2 sets and never do it in the third. Everyone has lots of tools and mixing them up in frame trappy or otherwise scumbag ways are the best way to win. It's not about always doing the right move, it's about your threat making them make bad moves. Im learning this too as i move to control space more vs necessarily trying to hit or maintain an offensive.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Char posted:

I finally got to red ranks.
Thanks everyone for your earlier support.

Now I'm trying to learn how to consistently set up a wall situation.

Leo is fun. You always have something to sneak into the opponents' mental stack.
My first attempts are trying to setup a wall splat, then b+1,4 KNK3, 4 into b+1+2,1+2,1+2
Is this good enough or should I test something different?

LTTP but ws 1,4,1 is more damage as the ender

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

OxMan posted:

The problem you have isn't "stealing" wins, it's not embracing the steal. I beat people way higher rank than me who don't respect RAs, go heavy on throws or mixups in different sets etc. Surprise wins fights. Confusion wins fights. I'll condition an overhead after heat smash for 2 sets and never do it in the third. Everyone has lots of tools and mixing them up in frame trappy or otherwise scumbag ways are the best way to win. It's not about always doing the right move, it's about your threat making them make bad moves. Im learning this too as i move to control space more vs necessarily trying to hit or maintain an offensive.

I haven't checked specifically but it's either per round or per match, my stats are way too high otherwise.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

OxMan posted:

I'll condition an overhead after heat smash for 2 sets and never do it in the third.

Every time I spend a bunch of rounds trying to condition something then switch it up and it doesn't pay off I always remember Fragmasters "why would you not bet the river!?" from this old video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbVJAzAV5uk&t=376s. I don't know what this has to do with anything I just had to get it out there.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Nice Van My Man posted:

Every time I spend a bunch of rounds trying to condition something then switch it up and it doesn't pay off I always remember Fragmasters "why would you not bet the river!?" from this old video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbVJAzAV5uk&t=376s. I don't know what this has to do with anything I just had to get it out there.

Lmao, drat. I put a lot of eggs in the conditioning basket since I'm trying to set the pace most of the match, but i can usually tell if conditioning didn't take. For example, double qcb 3s with bryan. If you eat both, I'll keep tossing both. If you block my first one, you got me downloaded, now i gotta switch it up. But if i hit the first and get the second blocked? I'll throw it again and get punished, and then switch the second up to a fast mid, or if i know theyre good enough to try and parry it, ws1 will close out the round usually. I've yet to reach the plateau of players that can punish all that on reaction (comfortably in orange/red) so it still works, but i definitely played a few and at the point my only options remain safe ones i start to falter and get whittled down.

For how offensive focused a game tekken is it sucks how much a bad defense on my part plays a part in my losses.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
If you want to "lab" against Eddy but haven't bought him, you can download a ghost and play against that.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
For the Nina folk here, AFT uploaded his Nina Guide, it's a chonker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tgJbMsZhtY

This video won't really tell you how to play her, though it does go over a few recommended moves and punishment, most of it is referential with an extensive combo showcase, oki options and details on how to perform and practice her advanced stuff. There's a lot of knowledge here, but you'll have put the picture together yourself.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I loving love getting someone in the corner and flying off into the air as jack and stomping them for a round win. Works great up until reds and not on purples but it's so fun as gently caress

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I.. tried Azucena.
I don't know why I played this long without trying her.
drat. She's fun. Even without abusing her wr3,2.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Looks like Chipotle is doing Tekken 8 currency now if you want burritos and skrilla

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Buck Turgidson posted:

If you want to "lab" against Eddy but haven't bought him, you can download a ghost and play against that.

Lol, they won't even let you take control of your own character during a replay vs Eddy if you don't own him. Come on. I can't really learn anything based off the random flailings of a ghost, they don't string things together into traps the way a real human does.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I'll buy Eddie once the low level fatal error is fixed

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

OxMan posted:

Just wanted to double back on this since I actually bothered to check today; it's per match.

Was at 640 of 1454 in ranked, took matches off a Bryan 3-2 and 3-1, now I'm 642 of 1456. So it didn't care about the actual round breakdown of those matches or the fact that I took the set; the latter of which isn't surprising really given nobody's obligated to go for the full best of 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Audax posted:

I'll buy Eddie once the low level fatal error is fixed

I found a 'fix' is to set the texture detail to medium. I tried bumping it back up to high with the last update+AMD update but it came back. I've never had a crash with textures set to medium. It's still pretty annoying because the medium textures look a lot worse than the high textures to me. Still better than randomly crashing out while playing online.

Edit:
Actually medium textures aren't bad, somethings just hosed with the way it does shaders and textures on PC. I knew some people fixing the low level fatal error by editing the shaders, but that's too much for me and I just lowered the quality, but there's still some sort of corruption going on. You can see with Eddie's blocky textures here. Anyone else seeing anything like this? If I dump the shader cache it goes back to normal but it's just a matter of time until the textures get blocky again.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 9, 2024