Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Umbreon posted:

I'm at a point where learning even a simple low damage combo would help, I just need to find something that can go off of a fast poke. I've gotten much better at blocking pressure, I still get hit all the time but often it's stuff that can't lead into a combo because it was too fast and too far away. I just need something that I can fight back with now.

Check the combo trials, I wouldn’t worry about learning them all but there’s probably a few easy 3 or 4 hit strings you can pick up easily enough for that kind of purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Gah I gotta use wifi to play online but what if the other player gets mad at me for that specific reason instead of the 10,000 other reasons manbabies rage at this game :ohdear:

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I haven't had enough trouble with wifi people to stop matching them. Connections have generally been very good for me, and if they're bad I just won't rematch. If it pisses me off it will still be pissing me off less than the broken moves you keep useing, your rage art and heat spam, and the character you picked that's totally carrying you (or what the last guy said).

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Pissing shidding and farding myself to death over what the other guy thinks of me

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

man nurse posted:

I feel like this is the only genre where people get elitist over whether you’re using a wire or not. If you’re gonna play people across the world, it’s stupid to expect more than half of them to be plugging their machine directly into a wired connection, especially if it’s a popular game on consoles, which is most major fighters. Wi-Fi is an extremely common setup, and more often than not these days it’s completely usable. This isn’t the mid 2000s. But go off I guess, that trauma seems like it runs deep for people.

Enjoy your video games folks. They’re not that serious.

what the gently caress lmao

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

mods rename the thread to Tekken 8: Trauma Runs Deep

tia

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

wifi threw me off a cliff

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Umbreon posted:

I'm at a point where learning even a simple low damage combo would help, I just need to find something that can go off of a fast poke. I've gotten much better at blocking pressure, I still get hit all the time but often it's stuff that can't lead into a combo because it was too fast and too far away. I just need something that I can fight back with now.

brother. launch then f3, df43, b12, fff2+3

i don't even play king but i know that one because i've eaten it so many god drat times

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also wi-fi was basically unplayable in Tekken 7 which was (checks calendar) three months ago, the playerbase might have a reason for their bias

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

man nurse posted:

I have a question. I’m only able to use Wi-Fi and I’ve seen the prevailing thoughts on fighting Wi-Fi players. It never really stopped me in the past but now I feel self conscious about it. Even though I’m fighting random people who I’ll never speak to, in the back of my head I worry everyone is going to be upset that I have the gal to play in ranked without a wired setup.

It always performs very well for me, but the stigma has put me off of playing. Am I being stupid? People would just decline if they didn’t want to do it, right?

Given that Wi-Fi is my only option should I: just continue to play online and not worry about what others may or may not think, or stay offline for fear of being dishonorable and gross

This was the same poo poo you posted in the sf6 thread. The only person who cares is you.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
People get mad about wifi in Tekken because they keep getting hit by a wireless Law's Dragon's tail.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Extra Large Marge posted:

People get mad about wifi in Tekken because they keep getting hit by a wireless Law's Dragon's tail.

jokes on you, I would have gotten hit by it anyway

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Umbreon posted:

Combos are overrated. I got up to Mighty Ruler without learning any combos.

I play Jack and he's a poke character and if you're good at that kind of playstyle you don't need 'em.

I genuinely believe that new players and those below like, red ranks, put too much focus on learning combos and not enough on fundamentals like defense, poke and punish. Once you can reliably get punishes and launchers off, then you'd better learn combos.

That said, my play would *absolutely* be improved by being able to get combos off more reliably. I do know one combo that does like 45 damage or something but I don't try enough to get launchers off to get it going. That's the thing I guess - learning combos isn't necessarily hard, it's getting the punishes to get the launchers off. It's next on my list of things to learn once I get used to playing with arcade stick a bit more.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
On the other hand combos are the easiest thing to learn in tekken and getting free damage and wall carry with a couple hours max of practice is totally worth it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

learning one bread and butter combo that you can reliably do, even if it's just a move that Tornadoes! and then a follow-up move, is pretty simple and should be something you learn early. It's trying to optimize some complex max damage route that you will never reliably pull off in a match that might be unproductive lol

it's also a good idea to identify which moves you regularly use are Counter Hit Launchers so you're not surprised by them and get extra damage instead of letting them flop to the ground and get away for free. There are also a lot of moves that aren't full launchers but give you a guaranteed follow-up move on counter hit, those are pretty good to know too

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I'm wired and I always play people on WiFi. If the match is bad I just don't rematch. It's pretty simple.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sorry thread, I was a few beers deep and it turns out I probably have some social anxiety about playing online with strangers. Yikes!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
All good; I just hope you're able to take away from the conversation that while some folks do reject wifi connections, it's not intended to be any sort of personal attack and nobody's gonna think twice about the whole thing; they'll just skip a rematch if the connection is rear end.

Good luck getting your trophies!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

man nurse posted:

Sorry thread, I was a few beers deep and it turns out I probably have some social anxiety about playing online with strangers. Yikes!

it's all good, it's intimidating. just dive into quickplay and mess around with zero expectations imo, it's a fun game!

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Just a note - if the game is stuttering within the first little while, you can sometimes hold start to nullify the match. A little dialogue pops up (I can't remember where it is, at the bottom of the screen? At the top under the health bars?) that says "Hold [start icon] to cancel match" or something like that, then if you do it it says something like "Match cancelled, result will not be counted for matchmaking" or something like that. It's a good feature but I think it needs to be available as an option for longer into the match.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

man nurse posted:

i get that!! im in the goonsgarden and i still havent tried to play with goons cause anxiety

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

I want to hangout and play longer sets with people in the Tekken lounge but there doesn't seem to be a way to check your connection strength with people and it seems most people are just using it as a different way to access ranked. I don't get it. Battle hub sessions in SF6 were where I really began learning and loving that game and this lounge seems like it doesn't facilitate playing like that. Is there anything more to it than doing 'funky dance' at random people and getting 120 ping matches with the one person within 5 levels of me?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

It's amazing to me that even at Flame Ruler, most of the people I run into have basically no idea about some of Jack's moves and how to counter/avoid them.

In particular, he has a guard break that follows from his windmill punches (crouching df 1,2,1,1) which gives you a free hit. You have so much time to duck it, it's trivially easy if you know what's coming... but like 90+% of people don't know that and try to get a counter on you after the windmill punches end, or just stand there and continue blocking so you just get free hits.

Similarly his Giant Foot Stomp (u+3+4) which is where he rockets into the sky, and you can continue pumping in the air with 3+4 like Jigglypuff flying in Smash Bros... if you can land on their head it's an unblockable. If you're on the receiving end you can either side-step or just run forward under him and avoid it super easily in most cases... but people just... don't.

I guess what I'm saying is play something other than the ~5 most popular characters, learn some of their easily cheese-able moves, and you'll run into people who don't know how to deal with it right up to the blue ranks (and maybe above??).

If you're playing Drag/King/Reina or any of the other most popular characters, I would guess a lot more people are gonna know how to deal with your bullshit.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I absolutely get bodied versus most Jack players since it's an uncommon matchup, yeah. Similar to your point, I've gotten Flame Ruler in no small part due to Zafina's knowledge check bullshit, so I concur on that point.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Id like to pour a 40 to the real dead characters, Victor and claudio. I used to run into them all the time but now only the Jins remain. 150kish is such a fun bracket because I'm not good enough to blow most people up so there's lots of time to play around and learn your opponent and the funnest part about that late red early blue era is how different people are, how some got here by being insanely good at x but never ducking a high, or have a great string and pressure game but no defense (hello fujin reinas and jins)

And I'm the poo poo defense here. I can see jin d2 coming but i hesitate to commit to the animation because I'm more scared to eat the mid.

Edit poo poo and thanks nazzadan for the stick recommendation I'm going to go with the easier first choice i think

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I read that as "eat poo poo Nazzadan" and wondered what I did lol

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
eat poo poo nazzadan

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I see an obscene amount of victors and bears at 250k ish I think those characters just carry you up really fast

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Victor was one of the first characters I labbed so I don't mind him. I find it a little funny that every single Victor player I've faced has been redone to look like John Wick. No one seems to like the old French guy design. They should have just way more blatantly ripped off Keanu and then put Lei back in so that he could fight Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee. Or maybe they can't fly under the radar with stuff like that these days.

Actually a Johnny Silverhand skin and voice DLC Victor replacement would be kind of cool and totally make sense given his moveset.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Starting to have less and less fun playing the game. Aside from the fact that they reworked eddy in a really lovely way I'm just hating the overall systems. There's very little "small tekken" to be played anymore and conditioning is way harder especially in an at most 2 out of 3 set with no rematches. I kinda had the "Am I even having fun anymore?" moment after one of my df1s got blown through by an armored heat engager for the second time in about five minutes. My probably misplaced hope is that since this didn't get an arcade release the first set of changes will be major. The round tempo being- use moves that will lead to a heat engager, abuse heat, let the opponent use heat and play defense, 10 seconds of "honest" tekken until someone is in rage then poke things out is really tedious. It's choppy, it's a Staccato8. It's not why I really got into tekken and its not what I like about playing earlier entries.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 26, 2024

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, that seems to be a consensus. I know the pros have been complaining about this, I think they said it was oppressive, and that really is how it feels. Constant blowout victories, always be attacking because you don't want to get stuck in defense, constant pressure into 50/50. Like you said it's pretty universal criticism, so I have hope they'll dial it back.

It is an even number Tekken though, they'll probably figure it out for 9 and have another classic like 3, 5 and 7. 4, 6 and 8 will just be the weird ones where they strayed a little too far from what works.

I'm just bitchy because my Reina is hard stuck in Bushin. I legit do feel that matches in 8 make me way more stressed and unhappy than 7 though.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Ranked sucks and has always sucked in every fighting game but is especially bad in tekken. Long sets with friends is still fun.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I'm bummed the game is the way it is. Was the first time Tekken made any drat sense to me and once the newness wore off I really stopped liking it. I hope they patch it up and if not I hope we get VF6 sooner than later.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

unattended spaghetti posted:

I'm bummed the game is the way it is. Was the first time Tekken made any drat sense to me and once the newness wore off I really stopped liking it. I hope they patch it up and if not I hope we get VF6 sooner than later.

Go back and play some tekken 7, its gotta be on a deep sale, or you could find a disc for like 10 dollars. During tekken 7 i'd routinely go back and play t6 and tt2 online for fun (they have active online on xbox). I imagine 7 is still pretty active.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I got Battle Ruler last night and I’m still digging it, though we’ll see what the post-EVO Japan changes entail.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I really like this one too, although I can see how the Rage stuff encouraging more aggressive play kinda takes away from the more deliberate feel of Tekken. I’m probably not at a high enough level that I’d really notice the redundancy though. Having it be kind of a one and done on any given round feels like a fair enough way of keeping it from getting out of control, but I can see how it can also devolve into “wait for each other to cash out the meter so we can get back to playing normally”.

Still, it’s scratching the itch and the game looks and sounds wonderful and feels good to play.

I will say though it kinda reminds me of how Soul Calibur kept piling on new systems that I felt detracted from why I liked the first two games so much. Hope Tekken doesn’t trend too far in that direction.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I think I may have also been getting screwed by the Tekken prowess thing they aparently just rolled back since I was playing multiple characters. I know I was seeing the same people a lot.

For anyone who doesn't know they silently switched matchmaking to match based on prowess, the problem being that every additional character you play adds a bunch to prowess so it's a terrible measure of skill.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I was watching this Arslan set last night and I mean defensive tekken is still there and I think it will be something that will develop as the game sticks around, like there are whole 10-second stretches where no damage happens lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_bTF1bSak8

After knee's pessimism, Arslan has also gone on record saying that he thinks the game is viable again. He just did win a tournament at the time though (a local hosted at a california state college lol)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Nazzadan posted:

T8 King is maybe the best King has ever been and he still isn't the best character in T8 so don't feel bad about playing him

Its the best he's been since Tekken 8, in which he was absolutely game breaking. He'd be great even if he didn't have throws, that's how strong he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I do think that I need way more time to judge Tekken 8 and a lot of my complaining is that it's a new game I don't understand vs a game that's almost a decade old.

That said I will continue whining every time I go on a losing streak.