Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thought about "Gankaku" today...

3:2 is a natural combo and leads to Lidia's highest damage combo route.

This one is a notorious noob killer because the payoff on hit is massive and its quick recovery (r24) makes it difficult to launch punish without practice. Extra difficulty arises from:

The active frame on the second hit being much earlier than it feels to the defender.
The blue sparks making it feel like the active frame is later than it really is.
The second attack being quite fast (,i22), as it must also be reacted to in case Lidia doesn't finish the string.
The blue sparks don't change the frames at all. They only add 2 damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I just played a King and he was owning the poo poo out of me with those interminable sequence of throws but then I figured something and the tide turned because he couldn't deal with Azucena's shenanigans at all.

And at the end he just gave up, King fell down and didn't get up anymore. I destroyed that person's spirit.

For real, I played literally thousands of Street Fighter matches online and never seen this before.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Ngl I had my spirit broken by a Kaz the other night, idk how dude was still in red ranks. Crazy good defense, took no risks, blew me up for any tiny mistake. Broke 100% of throws, was throwing perfect electrics every time. At the end of the last round I just let him steel pedal me to death. I then blew up the next 3 people because that kaz got me playing at a higher level

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Learning you can combo off of ch f+3 on Shaheen was huge for me, so I'm putting that info out. (You follow with d3 > snk 2)

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Revins posted:

Ngl I had my spirit broken by a Kaz the other night, idk how dude was still in red ranks. Crazy good defense, took no risks, blew me up for any tiny mistake. Broke 100% of throws, was throwing perfect electrics every time. At the end of the last round I just let him steel pedal me to death. I then blew up the next 3 people because that kaz got me playing at a higher level

A random Jin in Tekken 7 patiently whooping my rear end for 2 hours straight gave me the biggest overnight level up I think I've had in any competitive game. When a significantly better player is willing to stick it out with me for a while I feel blessed. It's the best way to break through a plateau imo.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
Patch notes, haven't read them yet, did see a row of down arrows for Drag and Feng and up arrows for Leeroy.
https://www.tekken-official.jp/tekken_news/?p=82

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Seems like some reasonable Zaf buffs that won't suddenly make her top tier or anything. Fine by me.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Leroy buffs look pretty good. I'm interested in his b1 parry having a followup now, I was pretty good at hitting those and I love how universal it was.

Reina is untouched. I kind of figured they'd do that but I was a little curious since people usually put her as a high teir but her win rate is abysmal and I haven't seen too much of her at tournaments.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 30, 2024

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The Feng nerfs are completely minor outside of his heat move which was overtuned. He'll be absolutely fine. In fact people griping about how Feng was super S tier despite his kit being balanced outside of heat stuff was annoying so this is good. He was lumped in with far worse offenders.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Revins posted:

Learning you can combo off of ch f+3 on Shaheen was huge for me, so I'm putting that info out. (You follow with d3 > snk 2)

You can also pick them up with d2 or snk2 by itself, you have more time than you think. It may not be homing anymore but it's a good move!

e: wait nvm d2 doesn't work since they land face down. you're right d3>snk2 is the easiest pickup. d2 is good for b4 ch tho

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 30, 2024

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Nice Van My Man posted:

Reina is untouched. I kind of figured they'd do that but I was a little curious since people usually put her as a high teir but her win rate is abysmal and I haven't seen too much of her at tournaments.

I think Lidia is going to suck in some Reina enjoyers on top of that. Seeing Reinas less makes me want to pick her up more. I started dabbling in Lili and she's ok but reinas buttons are just funner to press.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I gave neo-eddy a try and even after a few weeks his rework is really disappointing to me. I think I'm gonna learn ninja poo poo with raven from now til the big balance patch. I'd go all in on Lei if he were in the game but I think it might be a long time til he's back.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I wanted Lei for 7 but have to admit I didn't end up using him nearly as much as I thought I would've. I singlehandedly played enough Ganryu to hopefully lead to him getting another unjustifiable DLC spot in 8, though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

the patch has me feelin like i'm in dexter's laboratory lol

Zafina jab theory?

1 jab is +1 on block.
1,2 is jailing high high, -3 on block and is mostly to force blockers into 1,2,3 SCR at +0 which is slightly better than 1,3 SCR on block (but the 3 can be ducked), or to lead into a sidestep
1,3 is jailing high high, optionally enters SCR at -2 on block, all options are beaten by generic d4 or sidewalk left. Staying in neutral it is -8. Strictly a punish tool.

1,4 is a non-jailing high, mid with forced transition into TRT. Currently its main effectiveness is CH launching opponents who press into jab pressure or who get baited by a whiffed jab. Pre-patch it is TRT -5 on block or +2 on hit but the situations are very similar since pushback is huge so the opponent can't really punish on block and you can't really mix on hit.

Post-patch the move is +22g on hit, guaranteeing TRT.df1 which either deals chip and leaves Zaf at +6 on block, or hits them for a Heat Engager. 1,4's pushback on block will also be decreased, however, which probably means a knowledgeable opponent can float Zaf on block.

Tactics!: The threat of 1,4 will make ducking against Zafina's jab pressure far more dangerous since it loses them a grip of life and leaves them at -6. Zafina can beat SSR attempts with tracking df1. For SSL Zafina can sidestep realign and continue jab pressure, or throw, or call out with df4,1.

Power Crushes can break out of jab pressure. However, with good timing, 1,4 will CH launch them. The transition into TRT will make almost all high power crushes and many mids whiff if you don't land a counter hit, though this may change when pushback is reduced. (Asuka's high PC HE trades...), Most PC whiff recovery means you can at least get TRT.3 punish into TRT.df1 knockdown. I haven't tested every generic heat burst but so far all of them whiff on 1 into 1,4 even though they are all mids. They all have quick recovery and can block any retaliation so it's the TRT mix. You can always duck/block or throw them too i guess lol. RA is interrupted by 1,4 but beats 1 into 1,4 on immediate timing.

Edit:

OK i tested the rest of the cast minus eddy and yes all generic 16f heat bursts will whiff against 1 into 1,4, they take the 1,4 damage as chip and you are in the TRT mix setup afterward.

Many characters powercrushes will whiff in this situation as well, the exceptions are Victor and Asuka (i15 pc will trade before Zafina enters the high crush state); Lili, Paul, and Jin (their hitboxes move low enough to clip but delaying 1,4 can cause them to whiff) Leroy, Kuma/Panda, Xiaoyu all hit it cleanly. Leo's also does but it's i25 and should be reactable lol.

of course this could all change when they change 1,4's pushback on block but i was interested

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 1, 2024

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Aw yeah, Leeroy with the buffs.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

OxMan posted:

I think Lidia is going to suck in some Reina enjoyers on top of that. Seeing Reinas less makes me want to pick her up more. I started dabbling in Lili and she's ok but reinas buttons are just funner to press.

Yeah I found Reina fun as gently caress at launch but haven't played her for months now, been thinking about brushing up on her. Or Kaz, I played him in 7 to get back into the series in december. Mishimas are fun. Not gonna play dvj ever tho

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Pics that go hard:

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

OxMan posted:

Reina is fun, I'm trying to get that Mishima muscle memory down and my electrics are pretty good now but my wavedash sucks. I think I might go back to Leroy for a bit with his buffs. Lidia sounds cool too but I'm a real cheapskate.

It's so drat hard switching between characters because my muscle memory goes totally out the window and I start trying to perform moves with the character I'm not even using. I wish I was better at it so that I could try more out.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hit Fujin tonight on the power of stupid dog facepaint. Never expected to get this far.

Got my rear end absolutely torn up in a Zafina mirror though; I have a newfound respect for my nonsense whenever I'm on the wrong side of it.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I'm slowly clawing my way through red ranks and I'm happy I even got that far. I hadn't played more than a couple matches of fighting games online prior to buying tekken 7 on a whim in december and I have a lot of childhood tekken habits kicking around from button mashing as a kid in 2 + 3 that I struggle with. Like doing the spring kick waaayyy too much

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Seriously I can go into a match thinking "I'm not gonna spring kick at all this match unless its 100% going to land" then the instant I'm on the ground I'm mashing R2 (bound to both kicks) before I realize it and its like :negative:

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Revins posted:

Seriously I can go into a match thinking "I'm not gonna spring kick at all this match unless its 100% going to land" then the instant I'm on the ground I'm mashing R2 (bound to both kicks) before I realize it and its like :negative:

There is an easy solution here.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

You're crazy spring kicks work every time. Personally I have 3+4 bound to L2, maybe that's the issue? Or give it a little delay to make them think you just want to take a quick nap on the ground then BAM spring kick.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I, also a spring kick addict, have 3+4 mapped to R1. Lotsa different shoulder button action goin' on here.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Bryan in a fake mustache: Yeah no totally keep spring kicking

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
people think they're really clever when they spring kick to avoid my slide followup until the next time they do it and get launched instead

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

loving hell is there a way to remove DF1+2 as rage art? Or somehow intercept the signals from my controller to make it so that the input isn't sent? Keep loving losing matches because I'm triggering rage art accidentally.

Jack has WC DF1,2,1,2,1 to do his windmill punches, that I use all the time. Pretty easy to see how that might lead to a mis-input, especially because my arcade stick buttons are on a hair trigger.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 3, 2024

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I run into the same issue. I just make a mental note not to use punches lol

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
shaheen's db2 is a very important poke with a hit confirm heat engager or an option to transition into stance.

shaheen's db1+2 is an unblockable with a SIXTY FIVE FRAME windup.

guess what happens to me all the loving time

e: vvv i swear harada does this specifically to punish bad inputs, there is no reason for these moves to exist lmao

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 3, 2024

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah I'm also still getting used to playing on lever (have to, to save myself from crippling hand pain) and F1+2 is used a bunch for Jack, except I somewhat frequently input DF instead of just F due to inadvertently pushing the stick at a slight angle.

Similarly to Shaheen, with Jack, B1+2 is like, probably Jack's most important poke move - it has very long range and is a knockback heat engager. DB1+2 is a very short range low and is MINUS SEVENTY on block/miss.

quote:

e: vvv i swear harada does this specifically to punish bad inputs, there is no reason for these moves to exist lmao

Well honestly the move is useful, it does quite good damage and you can catch people with it multiple times in a row, especially up through like, red ranks. You do take a bit of a risk using it but in lots of situations it's functionally no worse than something that's -15.... but yeah it kills on misinputs because it gives your opponent tons of time to close distance on you etc.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 3, 2024

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

loving hell is there a way to remove DF1+2 as rage art? Or somehow intercept the signals from my controller to make it so that the input isn't sent? Keep loving losing matches because I'm triggering rage art accidentally.

Jack has WC DF1,2,1,2,1 to do his windmill punches, that I use all the time. Pretty easy to see how that might lead to a mis-input, especially because my arcade stick buttons are on a hair trigger.

Time to finish this round with my df1, 2 headbutt... drat IT!

Cost me so many rounds.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I realize it's not very good still, but I've almost gotten to red ranks finally :shobon:

I just have had so little time to play since the release of the game. At least I've now surpassed an eddie bot that could only hit 3

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I'm glad its not just me annoyed about the rage art input. Let me bind it to R3 so I don't accidently hit it plz

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Nice Van My Man posted:

Reina is fun, I'm trying to get that Mishima muscle memory down and my electrics are pretty good now but my wavedash sucks. I think I might go back to Leroy for a bit with his buffs. Lidia sounds cool too but I'm a real cheapskate.

playing reina like an ordinary mishima is a trap. electric is not a good neutral tool with reina - you can actually duck it because it's a high attack. i've played reina dittos with losers with electric macros and it's hilarious watching the lights turn on in their heads when I duck their electrics. you'd think electric would be good in punish combos but it isn't even worth using when you can just heat smash and twirl for 270 damage a round.

Bruegels Fuckbooks fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 9, 2024

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Electrics are highs with all mishimas….

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

playing reina like an ordinary mishima is a trap. electric is not a good neutral tool with reina - you can actually duck it because it's a high attack. i've played reina dittos with losers with electric macros and it's hilarious watching the lights turn on in their heads when I duck their electrics. you'd think electric would be good in punish combos but it isn't even worth using when you can just heat smash and twirl for 270 damage a round.

True. This is why you should never press a button in neutral that is a high, they can all be ducked. And every low can be block punished, so you shouldn't use those easier. This is why pro tekken players never use highs or lows.

I can't believe Harada and Murray created a +5 on block, forward advancing, low recovery, pressure and keepout launcher that is useless in neutral because it's a high. It can be ducked! Piece of poo poo garbage tool.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Tekken is biased against characters with bad knees

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Reinas EWGF does have slightly more recovery on whiff than the others, but that was still an insane take