Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So hyped for this game. I’m sure I’m in for a gigantic fuckin learning curve but I absolutely love those early days of a new fighting game trying stuff out and slowly getting my poo poo down. Got a mate picking up the game as well so I’ll have someone to learn with and fight against which always helps.

Like the look of King cause wrasslin’ and also once as a kid I played a Tekken arcade cabinet and picked the cool jaguar man and mashed around. Yoshimitsu is also tempting just because of my fondness for the Soul series.

Just want to get my hands on the full game so I can play around with everyone and find someone whose flow I gel with already, I remember spending a lot of time in training mode in Soul Calibur and SC2 just running through movelists seeing how it felt to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Ordered through Game Billet. No key yet. Want key. Give key.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Mostly messed around in training mode at this point, love the feel of King, Yoshimitsu, Victor and Reina but of the four of them I think I'll probably start with King just because the dopamine hit of grabbing someone out of midair and absolutely dunking them is loving incredible.
Also because I'm sure low level ranked is going to be absolutely loving flooded with Victors, some of Reina's execution stuff looks gnarly, and I don't even know where to fuckin' start with Yoshimitsu :allears:, but mostly the dopamine from dunks thing.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It seems like it, finally going against the cliche that T7 players hate playing women, I guess being a Mishima is more important lol

https://twitter.com/AlietteFaye/status/1753217490971246997

Even with all the caveats around that data I'm surprised to see Leroy so low given how kick rear end his design in.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

~I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.~

My friend plays Hwoarang and I can tell you I absolutely fear the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I get that Tekken doesn’t have zoning/zoners in the 2D fighter sense but as someone who generally leans towards zoners in fighting games, can anyone recommend which characters might scratch that sort of itch? I’m feeling a bit lost, character choice wise.

What I love about playing zoners is the combo of being able to repeatedly stuff their approach by either smart space control or predictively shoving a hitbox into where they’re going, and being able to condition or frustrate opponents to get them stuck back in my zoning blender.

How can I translate this to Tekken? There seem to be a few characters who have good keepout tools but nobody I’ve tried so far “feels” right - I probably just don’t know enough about Tekken yet to understand what I’m looking for. So yeah, any other Degenerate Zoner Enjoyers in other games got character suggestions?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks everyone who chimed in. Just to clarify a bit I'm not looking to like, 1:1 recreate a projectile zoner playstyle in Tekken 8 or try and find a single projectile move to spam away at and pretend I'm accomplishing anything (Claudio STB 4,2 against people who are unaware he can do that is extremely funny though :allears:), just more "hey this is what I enjoy in 2D fighting games, does anyone with similar tastes have suggestions".
Sounds like whiff punish and counterhit heavy stuff will be a good place to drill in on. I'll spend a bit more time digging into Alisa, Asuka, Lee and Jun and see if any of them click for me.

Failing that, I will continue to be King and throw dudes because that's fun too.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks (again) to those who suggested characters who might click with me.

A number of you were absolutely right - Bryan is 100% what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, his flow/execution doesn't click with me. Might be a character I revisit down the line when I've internalised How To Tekken a bit more.
Claudio was, surprisingly, a bit of a dark horse contender because b1, hopkick, SS4 and STB f1+2,1+2 all scratched that itch a bit and WR2 is pretty much a projectile in and of itself, but then I wasn't super vibing with his kit once I did get up close.

But ultimately I'm going to focus on Asuka for a while, her strong defensive kit is very satisfying and she's nowhere near as execution heavy as Bryan feels. I think what I wanted was a character that felt to me more reactive "I guessed right so you eat poo poo" rather than proactive "You guessed wrong so you eat poo poo" and yeah Asuka is definitely doing that for me.

Time to go binge all of Fergus' vids and get rolling!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Finished up the single player content for the game (Story mode, Arcade Quest, all the character episodes). Fun stuff generally, though my unfamiliarity with the protagonist cast meant Story Mode was pretty much just "turn on simple style, mash button" until I got the next cutscene. I still don't think any fighting game has done single player content as well as Soul Calibur, SC2 and SC3 in terms of variety and having a whole bunch of interesting stuff to unlock, and I think the story mode for SF6 generally does a better job at easing you into Street Fighter than Arcade Quest does at easing you in to Tekken.

Pulled myself into yellow ranks with Asuka, need to spend some time getting my combo reflexes down because I'm leaving a ton of damage on the table, but otherwise everyone is still playing sloppy/mashing enough that I can generally win but just poking them to death and playing patient.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Tekken Talk stream mostly seemed dedicated to shilling Tekken OSTs and various Tekken branded clothes, but in terms of actual game relevant stuff so far - it confirms the microtransaction shop will be accompanied by a premium currency (surprising nobody) with skins looking to be around USD$3.99 each and that the accompanying update will focus on bug fixes and adjustments for moves that aren't functioning as intended (e.g. Victor throw escape windows) rather than balance adjustments.

edit: Now shilling S.H.Figuarts and Nendoroid figures. lol at this whole stream :psyduck:

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 20, 2024

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Tekken loving sucks except when im crushing it

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

ded redd posted:

No one cares about Lidia.

It's me. I do.

Tekken 8 is my first Tekken, and ahead of the game dropping I was looking through Tekken 7 and was like "whoah, cool karate chick" and then she didn't make it over and I was sad.

Thanks Bamco for catering to my whims.