Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Getting a good amount of crashes so I don't think I'm playing much online for now but King feels pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've been just playing through the story and it's fun enough, hoping online works better by tomorrow though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I got a 8bitdo SNK pad and I think it might make me a pad player for this game despite enjoying it pretty well on my leverless. Unsurprisingly feels like the perfect 4 button fighting game pad.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Leo is Leo. That's all that's important.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Having a problem with this game where when I get matched up against someone I haven't seen much of I want to play them. Really enjoying King as usual (want Armor King tho) and Reina, but just about every single character seems to have a cool thing I want to check out or try in this game. Very happy with T8 overall after not being super excited when it first got announced.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I love Tekken using their character's native language and I love even more that everyone understands every language including bear and jaguarspeak. It rules that a series with, for the most part, some of the most normal sounding names in fighting games is also goofy as hell.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

How is the training mode in this? My first big dive into FG was SF6 and it's training mode was key to learning to perceive the game. Does this have a similar quality of lab?

I'm surprised to see in the demo that they have a toggleable "modern" mode, that's an interesting interpretation of the idea.

I wouldn't call that a modern mode, it's really more of an autocombo mode that you really shouldn't be using outside of edge cases once you learn spacing from it. The training mode is pretty good and the replay options are great IME.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Up to yellow ranks as King and people are starting to know how to break normal throws so I guess it's time to learn some combos and more than one or two of his character specific throws.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Artelier posted:

This video popped up on my feed and I gotta say even just the first five minutes or so made me understand Tekken far better than I did previously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEw98pnmtyo

Anytime BoxBox went "But wait, whuhhhhhh?????", that was me irl

Not once have I thought to press back after a sidestep...

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I have no idea what to do against Reina as a Dragunov. It doesn't help that I'm running into people doing perfect EWGFs at yellow rank and are breaking every single grab. Running f+2 works OK if they get annoyed by it but I ran into 3 different Reinas in a row that really seemed like they did not belong at the rank they were at, probably just me being tilted tho. Otherwise Dragunov seems great, super punishing especially if he can get a wall splat.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

poe meater posted:

Not Reina specific but do more d2. Tap up after landing a d2 to loop into another d2.

b4,2 / b4,2,1 is a good string to apply pressure. Finish the string if they're pressing after b4,2. b1+2 has huge plus frames once you got them scared. Should be enough to push through.

I've been doing some d2 but tapping up is a good tip, will definitely be trying more b4,2 as well. B1+2 has been really helpful already and I think I need to just sit in training for a while and practice breaking grabs and what to do if an attack is blocked or grab is broken, I've been playing King a bunch so I'm used to just being able to throw string without too much trouble.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Got thru a few ranks with Dragunov using b+4,2,1 and d2 along with running 2 but I'm stuck at the top of yellow rank now, will win 3 rounds with that string and a few others against people 3 ranks higher then I'll run into a Jin or Reina 3 ranks lower that seems to literally never have an opening that is more negative than any of my starting attacks so I just die and go back and forth in the same rank. Keep getting up to promotion to orange and then losing at the last second but overall I do feel like I'm improving. Learning to not rely on grabs so much tho the 1+2 grab still gets most people. Running 2 is still the star of the show overall because even if they block it I'm usually at an advantage. May do some quick plays for a while to get better at blocking and knowing when to take my "turn".

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Getting better at blocking and grab breaking but it's super frustrating that full bar wired PC connections are giving me worse experiences in general with lag compared to wireless console matches. I'm guessing it's due to their computer not running the game at full speed but there's got to be a way to check that, I dunno. Also frustrated that plugging seems to be a completely risk free move overall.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Seltzer posted:

Just start skipping PC unless its in casual. I've been doing it and its saved me a lot of headaches. On top of the people on potato PCs there's apparently some issue with the game on PC in general. I saw this post the other day about it

I'm half debating turning off crossplay just to avoid having to decline pc a bunch. I had no problem finding matches quick in my region for ranked or casual in tekken 7 which was xbox to xbox only matchmaking.

The problem is I'm also on PC :v:. That's wild but not surprising with Bamco regarding the shaders, I like the actual game of Tekken 8 the most since like Tag Tournament 2 as a very casual enjoyer of the games, it's the first I've wanted to take seriously in the series. It's just that a lot of the smaller parts make me want to take a break for a bit, which probably isn't a bad idea since I haven't played Granblue at all and SF6 or GG in months.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I took a week or so off the game and then immediately went up from yellow to mid red my first matches back. I'm glad my brain was labbing even when I wasn't.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Shockeh posted:

I'm going to gently upgrade my view to 'The prevalence and versatility of Power Crushes is actually the single worst thing in this game, and I think it'd be a better game without most of them'.

Why the gently caress do they so often track? Why?

I’m enjoying the game mostly but the amount of poo poo that tracks compared to every previous game is really bad in my opinion. Some people say it’s more of a 2d than 3d game because of that and I don’t agree with that at all but it definitely is noticeable and not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Umbreon posted:

This is my first Tekken game and I picked whoever looked cool and wound up with King. Based on what I'm reading so far, I am an objectively bad person for playing this character. Is that correct?

No you're actually very cool for picking the coolest character (except Armor King).