Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I really hope the character customization is better this time around. Changing costumes can be fun, but not when the pants appear to be 3 inches thick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how hard it is to set up a Tekken 8 friends list yet, but I'm thinking it would be fun to do some regular tournaments. Having a regular crew makes fighting games so much better than fighting randos

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Where's the goonsgarden?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Welp, Tekken 8 demo ran flawlessly on Linux but the full game is a crash at start. Guess I gotta wait for something to change.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

spiritual bypass posted:

Welp, Tekken 8 demo ran flawlessly on Linux but the full game is a crash at start. Guess I gotta wait for something to change.

Correction: full game runs flawlessly with the latest Proton GE

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

Hey folks, quick one for you - Anyone know how to select on PC which buttons are shown? I've got a Hori FC, and it's showing XBox controls instead of PS.

Sounds like a job for the Steam controller settings menu

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Playing against ghosts is interesting. So far, it does feel like playing against a human

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

faantastic posted:

Loving the amount of work into this game... do wish Tekken Ball had online.

Doesn't the beach area of the lobby have online Tekkenball?

e: it does but it's taking too long for me to find an opponent

spiritual bypass fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 26, 2024

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When playing online, how does side selection work? Do I only get matched with players who chose the other side? Does the game mirror everything so it works out no matter what?

goferchan posted:

Oh poo poo the Jukebox customization is sweet

ooo gotta check this out

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Half of my online matches disconnect right when I'm close to winning. Are these ragequits? Everybody I play against has a 0% disconnect rate. Also, is there any way to see my own disconnect stat? I've never intentionally disconnected mid-match, but I wonder how these potentially random disconnects might affect me.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trucker Hat posted:

Are you playing on Linux/Steam Deck? I've been getting a lot of disconnects midmatch as well in ranked.

Linux with a wired connection, yeah. Hope I'm not the one causing problems with my weird computer choices!
On the other hand, command throws and low kicks are my bread butter, so I like to think everyone is really mad about it

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

unattended spaghetti posted:

I still can't decide who to play. It's gonna take me forever just to pick.

Pick whoever looks the coolest (Nina)

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How do you find a local tournament?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

As someone who likes Musou games, Chapter 10 was real fun. I mean, it probably isn't good, but the Musou alike segments were light and quick enough that they did not run out their welcome.

I think this is a "group battle" in the online lounge

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It would be cool if practice mode and combo challenges let you slow down the metronome since it's basically the same as practicing music

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't stop playing Tekken. Seemed questionable to keep playing when my 8 year old daughter started watching (more worried about body image than violence imo) but she's entranced by watching me play. She remarks that some of the other players have really strange names.
At this point, I notice I'm playing against xXMilfMilker69Xx

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Beat arcade mode on hard a couple times and felt great, then installed Windows solely to get online and

unattended spaghetti posted:

I am incredibly bad at this game.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Autsj posted:

Jokes on you, Nina is partly a grappler.

With evil mist simplified, Nina's execution issues come primarily from her Hayashida step, sidestep 1 cancels, and her butterfly loops; the first two are likely to be really impactful in T8, jury's still out on the butterflies (but then I always thought there were more show than practical). She also has a very large movelist with a lot of situational stuff, so she can lead to analysis paralysis until you are fully comfy with her. But she's also a known scrub killer and it doesn't take much to just cheese people out with her. I mained her in 7, you can ask me what you want about her.

Nina is my best character in 8 so far. Love to go up against a King player and throw them constantly. If you can actually land her head scissors move, pressing 2 will transition to another grapple for a total of like 80 damage

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Next for me is figuring out which character makes the best Kiryu or Majima costume and playing that one

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Help I can't do a custom character without putting an eye patch on them

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is 70k online prowess a sticking point for anyone else? Can't get myself higher than that

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GigaPeon posted:

Dang alright, back to the Ghost Arcade for me...

Speaking of which, how decent are the Ghosts really when emulating real players?

They'll use the same moves but they have weaker fundamentals. Still very convenient practice for learning to counter movesets that got you stunlocked the first time you faced them

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tekken 8 has the best training mode of any fighting game ever

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

Two things. As a pad player, get a fight pad. I have an xb1 Era hori commander and it's way better than any standard pad to play fgs with. Also yeah what the other guy said. Don't expect to consistently pull off the hardest moves and or combos in a decades old fighting game series in 2 weeks.

What's a fight pad?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like Nina's d34 ball stomp move. It's deliberately rude

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No apology needed! You are describing key Tekken experiences

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Autsj posted:

If you're getting frustrated my first advice would honestly to find a buddy (or buddies) to play with, and chat with them while you play. There is a big difference between playing best of 3s against random online folk, getting hit with the 'bullshit stuff' of 32 characters in rapid succession, and sitting down for longer sets against a single person with only one or 2 characters--especially if you can chat about their 'bullshit' in between.

I don't know how active or what the level of the goon fgc discord is, but that might be a place to look if you don't already have someone.

Seconding this. Playing Tekken against friends has made me want to get good, otherwise I would've just put the game down after 20 hours

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They could try making the disconnect counter read something other than 0%

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wait, you stop pushing buttons sometimes?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For the second time, I've played against and totally crushed a TTV streamer in ranked. Both times, they plugged just before I could get in one final hit.

They really gotta do something about this :argh:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Me and Nina being mid orange must mean I'm extremely good since she's so difficult to play

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flinger posted:

You begin learning now, and you'll be competent by Tekken 9. That's how it's always worked.

Begin learning now and you'll win at least 10% of your daily matches by this time next week

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finally started sidestepping today and now I'm totally crushing my opponents. Not just step but sidewalk. Dodging with a single step is really hard, but one animation worth of walking will make someone whiff 2 or 3 moves in a row while you kick their kidney at a leisurely pace

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I feel like SF's combo input is way too tricky compared to Tekken and has too many undocumented movement paths like cancels. I don't want to look at a guide to know which moves cancel into others, I just want to blast out well-timed normals and win while doing it. Tekken more or less works for me.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I almost always lose to bears.

It's such a weird choice that Tekken tracks your win rate per stage, but not per character. I'd love to have a list of which characters I need to learn to counter the most. The bears would be near the top.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Basically all her major strings can cancel into side-step, sway, or both. It's awesome :yeah:

I've played 99% of my matches as Nina so I guess I should try doing these things now

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nice Van My Man posted:

I already have veriable rate shading off so it isn't that.

Also this is just weird but I am getting tbagged and ki charged in like 50% of my matches now. WTF is wrong with people? I have no idea why I suddenly made everyone's poo poo list. I noticed a gradual decline in decorum when I switched to Leroy but now that I'm back to Reina it's much worse. It's seriously starting to bum me out that everyone I play against is a loving jackass, I just want to play with cool people.

Edit: It's probably my fault for being home sick from work and matching up with a bunch of latchkey kids. Darn kids! *waves fist out window*

How is it possible to get offended by that? It's so much better than getting called the n word in every other game

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'll play against anybody no matter their lovely connection (although I might not rematch)

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you want to try a wired connection but ethernet access isn't viable, powerline or moca adapters might do the trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

swims posted:

NEW MODE

…photo mode

lol 😂

I've actually wanted this from the beginning, but "new mode" is a bit much