Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Gonna start playing a couple friends this Saturday, neither of us have played since very early tekkens and we're jumping in relatively blind. Hoping this time I'll get past that initial hurdle and get to a level where I can play anytime and have some wins with my losses. I kinda bounced off street fighter 5 - was doing ok at launch, then took a break and after a couple weeks I came back and couldn't win a match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

This has been my first tekken I've put real time into since about 4, been bouncing around yellow/red with leo (Jack-8 is my alt but really struggling getting any wins). Pretty much just leaning on the knk mixup and jabs, doing well when it works and struggling when I can't get a turn. (e. the moves I'm using are B1,4,mixup; 1,2,mixup; F4,mixup; 1+2, FF2, F2+3, grabs) I'm generally being very slow about adding moves because I want to be good at using good tools but LMK if there are any suggestions I should be using.
I'm often folding to people with heavy pressure strings involving a lot of ducking so that it's hard to jab them out, people who mixup a lot with throws (particularly king), and just getting my back to the wall and taking way too much damage. Also people who space well, get me to whiff and punish heavily - but I feel like every time that happens I learn a lot.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 26, 2024

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Levin posted:

I'm not a good Tekken player but I have improved a bit over the last couple months. I was just discussing with a friend is how helpful it can be to find a way to care less about winning and reframe losing. Obviously this is easier said than done and something I'm still working on.

One of the challenges I am dealing with is the overwhelming amount of stuff to learn and master. Whenever I try to learn something new and incorporate it I invariably lose more for a period of time. This makes sense but can be frustrating which goes back to being able to care less about winning and reframe losing. If my goal is to improve as a player I am going to experience these growing pains, losing more in the short-term to hopefully improve overall in the long run.

I would suggest picking a couple things you want to work on and using quick or player matches to practice them. You will lose but your goal is not to win, it's to get better at those things. So every time you're able to whiff punish, use a certain move, complete a combo, etc. you chalk that up as a win.

Oh yeah, honestly this is really not so bad, I'm learning things every round and I actually feel I can progress to red just with making fewer "oh yeah that was dumb" mistakes and refining things a little. I bounced off street fighter 5 pretty hard a while ago after a few sessions where I couldn't win a single game and couldn't see how to move forward - here that path is obvious. Biggest change I've seen hitting orange is throws don't really work against a lot of people anymore - so I'm really needing to unlearn using them as punishes when I can get instead get something guaranteed out.
I think my biggest next steps are integrating sidestep attacks, breaking throws more than randomly, safely poking more efficiently, using my attacks to cover space, and never throwing out moves that are out of range. maybe it's optimistic but I think those alone would put me well into red from the players I've seen.