Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
heart says reina

head says sergei

the better angels of my nature say jun

no idea who i'm gonna play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Trillhouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHyLTtCXwAY
last reveal!

edit: there are plot spoilers in the comments to that video.

that stage transition at 0:54 :eyepop:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
the bad: the game kept crashing the first hour after launch

the good: it's fixed now and netcode seems good

the bad: i loving suck at tekken

the good: it's still really fun to play

the bad: i keep hitting buttons and finding new moves and stances like how much poo poo does jun have

the good: i keep hitting buttons and finding new moves and stances like how much poo poo does jun have

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
nice, congrats on doing well at locals. i was gonna go to mine but real life is loving up my tekken time!!!

i’ve played like 98% with jun who seems strong, good, and noob friendly as hell. lots of easy extenders from her many launchers and/or CH moves that crumple (?) the opponent and let you fling them around.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

jun is really fun to play but i'm real jealous of all these launching lows all over the place.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ColdPie posted:

Powdered Toast Jun?

yes

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
every character feels really juiced up so far but i guess it's hard to tell since i'm a tekken noob, and it's week one, and i could be getting blown up by the dumbest most beatable poo poo.

jun feels strong, at least. stronger than leo did in T7, relatively speaking, but that was also a long time and a lot of games ago.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i keep adding things to my list of 'need to learn this' (the newest thing is what my punish is on blocking lows that aren't minus enough for launchers after, in the final round of the final match, i had to block 3 of victor's dancer's leg bullshit lows because i kept punishing them with 1, nothing) but then i get matches basically instantly and it's way too fun to play.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i tested it and that is indeed the case :cheers:

i also learned that jun has a dedicated Nice Hellsweep, Son, Shame if it got Blocked move with WS3+4.

this thing that suggests what move to use is actually pretty nuts.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Shockeh posted:

Jun fun tech, that I'm sure I'll look back at in 6 months and think 'You fuckin' clown Shockeh'

* b1 (Violet) is a slow (29f) starting low leaves you on +6, and on CH, turns into a Throw. It's cool, Jun and Asuka have had it forever. It makes you VERY low, but I haven't checked how many things it goes under. (Gut instinct? A lot.)
* b1, however, can be cancelled by holding down, leaving here in Full Crouch. And then the fun begins.
* Jun has a throw (FC db+1+2, requires a 1+2 break) that toss them vertically in the air behind you (and fucks the Tekken 8 camera, it really can't handle it) and absolutely is a combo starter for literally whatever you fancy doing.

You can guess how many players so far have managed to break that Throw, after you get a move that comes in low, and they've either tried to block or Parry it. (It's zero. Absolutely none.)

It's utterly basic, Day 1 stuff, but it made me feel clever, at least. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI0YODDaKLU

nice tech :tipshat:

also works for all the other stuff you can cancel into crouch like the f+2 uppercut (which you can really easily condition the opponent to respect) and genjutsu stance

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Not experienced enough at her to really say since I'm only just starting to learn her as well, but can you link the docs? I've got a link to the cheatsheet one which is great, but more info is pretty much always better

can you link the cheatsheet? is that a list of basic moves, confirms, punishes, etc. for all the characters?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

hell yeah thank you

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
wait what the gently caress genjutsu stance reverses lows and throws? that explains so much

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i'm still flailing around wildly with jun but things learned in mid red ranks:

uf+1 is insane. as is FC df+1. turn off your brain for all 10 frame punishes and simply bask in the damage.

f+1+2 is +6 on block WTF. sidestep 4 is +8. both are very good.

FC df+2 leads to some crazy damage on CH.

all combos lead to GEN 2 and it's a fuckin sweet rear end move to finish combos with.

that trick posted above about doing crouch-cancellable moves (i.e., b+1 or f+2 once they're scared of it) into the df+1+2 grab is actually insane. leads to full 4 > b+4, 2 > f3, IZU 2 2 > b+2, 1 > f(GEN) > 2.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Medullah posted:

He's Heihachi's secret son. Not to be confused with Reina, Heihachi's secret daughter. Also not to be confused with Lee, Heihachi's adopted son.

or with kuma, the only one of heihachi's children he loves

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

unattended spaghetti posted:

I’m not the kind of person to get pissy about losing, genuinely. Not that I expect internet people to believe that but it’s true. This specific game, with its specific variety of nonsense, just seems to tweak me in the exact right way.

Just gotta learn. Not much else to it.

E: To add one positive thing, the controllable replays and the highlighted punish opportunities are incredible and very helpful.

that's tekken baby. game's hard as gently caress and by far the most tilting out of any fighting game. there's more ways to lose, the ways you lose are much more incongruous and hard to decipher, and you're trying to learn like fifteen different skills at once to get good at the game.

i'm hard stuck in red ranks and taking a lil break from the game because i'm not improving and getting way too mad about losing lmao, time to step back and reassess

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think the answer might be that you just need to play more of the game so you become familiar with that kind of stuff. or at least that was the answer for me because looking at a guide or watching someone else play was way too abstract. what do you mean i can whiff punish from way downtown with f2? i just keep getting hit out of it [20 hours of flailing like a moron later] oh i see

Levin posted:

I'm looking to play this with some friends but have little interest in learning or practicing. I am a button masher at heart and have been since the days of Tekken Tag Tournament. That said I'm not just mashing mindlessly, I'll block, sidestep, throw, etc. I'm curious if there are any characters that lend themselves better to this attitude/approach or conversely if there are characters to avoid. I would think characters with unique mechanics that you need to leverage, like Steve, or that are stance-heavy would be a poor fit. So far I've just been slamming random, I don't have enough games played to make any concrete findings but have had some luck with Jun, Lars, and Azucena so far for whatever reason.

i think any of those characters would be good but azucena seems like a perfect fit. jun is extremely fun to play and also pretty straight-forward but she's got a little bit of weird stance stuff. lars idk except he's got annoying lows.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
jun does indeed own. after stalling out in red ranks and getting mad about hwoarangs and victors and DJs fraud checking me i tried to shift my mindset back to every interaction being a learning opportunity (that is - i stopped getting mad and tried to stay calm and figure out how to beat what my opponent is doing, instead of [incorrectly] assuming i knew how to beat it and was loving it up, and if i kept losing the interaction then that's just new information work with. though like at least 50% of the time the answer was to attack and threaten them way more so they couldn't do whatever the bullshit was) and got to purple rank :cool:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i've not hosed around much in the shop but i feel like i already have 10x the tekken bux i need to buy everything in there

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i don’t want rage quitters to be banned but i don’t understand how they 1) don’t take a loss for it 2) you don’t get a win for it 3) it breaks your win streak if someone rage quits on you.

i probably get at least one or two rage quitters per session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Seltzer posted:

I saw that the other day... I really don't think Feng can be that high, or Reina that low. Reina somewhat makes sense because people are picking up the game and trying to learn tekken with a mishima lol. Also I don't think Victor should be that high. I wonder how early that data is and what the source is.

idk what the data is based on but my guess is that victor and feng are that high because they are super good at crushing new players who don't understand how to play against their poo poo. inverse with reina, she's probably picked up by a lot of new players because she's cool, but she's not very new player friendly.

Shockeh posted:

Funny, I feel exactly the same about wireless PS5 players.

I need, as Jun, to learn my launchers, because I am respecting mashing idiots who never stop (They're all on Victor/Reina, but I'm willing to be a small sum they all used to be Hwoarang people) pushing loving buttons. Ever. Their response to ending a string? Do another. Being counter hit? Push a button. They're the SF4 Kens, and I need them to die. And of course, you can try & get the big obvious punishes, but they're just throwing out whatever single canned mixup they've learnt, and sooner or later you trade a Snake Edge, so you lose more than you gain.

you can go far with just using uf+1 / FC df+1 as your 10 frame punisher, it does absurd damage and wall carry for how easy and fast it is (though it's unsafe). if you want to go more advanced, ducking a jab and doing FC df+2 leads to a launcher on counterhit but that's tricky to confirm.

another good option if people just keep coming at you is b+3, 2 launcher into b+4, 2, f+3, b+2, 1, GEN, 2. b+3 is a low crush and has a good hitbox for people who just charge into you.

b+1 is also very, very good against people who mash buttons. it's incredibly good damage on counter hit and avoids a bunch of moves.

1, 2 into sidestep 4 is really good as a default 'i think i have an opening' and it leaves you at +6 on block, or into a heat activation if it hits. 1, 2, 2 leads to a canned mix-up between a grab, low, and mid but it can be easily ducked. db+1 is a 15 frame mid that leads to good damage and great wall carry. df+1 is a lot less damage but it's 13 frames IIRC, and is decent damage.

one of the best ways to keep people off you is also to scare the poo poo out of them at mid-range by mixing up f+2, ff+1+2 (+6 on block), ff3, 4 (follow-up is +6 on block iirc, but can be interrupted) and ff+2 (good approach tool, they have to guess if you're going into the second hit, GEN stance into low or armour, etc.). though unless i'm 100% sure the f+2 is gonna connect i always buffer the 1+2 to make it safe, but that leads to much worse damage if it does hit. you can also crouch cancel the f+2 right in their face, and instantly do FC db+1+2, a grab that leads into a full combo. if they are good at breaking that you can mix in the df+2+3 grab, or just hit them with a plus move, or chip with df+3 that leaves you slightly + on hit. a lot of people instinctively duck once you've grabbed them a few times and that's when you let the launcher rock and send them into the stratosphere.

jun feels strong but i think her strengths are less obvious than some other characters. and a lot of the above might be trash at higher levels of play but it works pretty well in purple rank.