Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Hey folks, quick one for you - Anyone know how to select on PC which buttons are shown? I've got a Hori FC, and it's showing XBox controls instead of PS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Two line character review:

+ Jun is back, and she's loving awesome fun.
- No TTT2 Outfit? BOO NAMCO, BOO. BOO!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I was feeling actually kind of anxious about getting back into Ranked. Learnt three launches and one combo with Jun (and not optimal, but easy to execute on demand), went online and, uh, yeah, in low ranks nobody stops doing unsafe poo poo at you, do they? You just poke them until they panic and try to do a random launcher, then we're off. And by easy, I mean dumb as gently caress for 68 - b43, b212, ff2f2.

E: Oh, and abusing nobody, just loving nobody, breaks df2+3.
EE: gently caress, realised you can nearly assemble Jun's TTT2 outfit from parts (The stole and the hairband are in there), but you miss out on the 'crows' pants & top. That's somehow more annoying than it not being there, we're so close to her best outfit!

EEE: (Sorry!) I've just found out 8's replay mode will actually pause and give you gameplay improvements? And you can take the game back over and try them? WHAT VOODOO SORCERY IS THIS?
https://x.com/Aurryuken/status/1751670441570140385?s=20

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 31, 2024

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

brainSnakes posted:

No joke, Kazumi is at the absolute top of my hope to see return as dlc character list, and I don't even play her. She was such a hit at both casual and tournament level I think they'd be insane not to consider her.

All you need to do to justify it is say she's haunting Kazuya because he's a nerd. All protests of folks who think a character being dead in a fighting game matters are officially resolved.

Also you can do a whole plot of hosed up Jun vs. Kazumi conflict.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Nice Van My Man posted:

No, Jun and Kazumi need to be inexplicable best friends.

Let's make them both!

I've come to a personal conclusion about Jun's 'Light' moves that cost her health - ALWAYS BE SUNNY. The cost is always less than the damage it causes, it can't kill you, and you have ways to regenerate it and they don't. (And this before discussing the madness that is them healing you in Heat, which my brain can't even comprehend yet in my travels with her.) If you can extend anything with a Light move - Go for it, it's usually better to have done than not.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 1, 2024

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Jun fun tech, that I'm sure I'll look back at in 6 months and think 'You fuckin' clown Shockeh'

* b1 (Violet) is a slow (29f) starting low leaves you on +6, and on CH, turns into a Throw. It's cool, Jun and Asuka have had it forever. It makes you VERY low, but I haven't checked how many things it goes under. (Gut instinct? A lot.)
* b1, however, can be cancelled by holding down, leaving here in Full Crouch. And then the fun begins.
* Jun has a throw (FC db+1+2, requires a 1+2 break) that toss them vertically in the air behind you (and fucks the Tekken 8 camera, it really can't handle it) and absolutely is a combo starter for literally whatever you fancy doing.

You can guess how many players so far have managed to break that Throw, after you get a move that comes in low, and they've either tried to block or Parry it. (It's zero. Absolutely none.)

It's utterly basic, Day 1 stuff, but it made me feel clever, at least. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI0YODDaKLU

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 2, 2024

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I feel like there's a lot of sneaky macro players out there.

Like, absolute shitters who can't block to save their life, have no concept of spacing or movement around the arena, know precisely one combo, but can chain EWGFs flawlessly 9 times in a row.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

It's funny how the most valuable advice I think I've ever received in Tekken is "DO NOT PUSH A BUTTON IN A STRING UNTIL YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE IT"S OVER"

doesn't matter how interruptible it looks, it's almost always a trap until you're more experienced

100% True. Unfortunately, there is also a bunch of people (Jins!) who abuse this to steal turns because they never; ever stop pushing buttons.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I am learning by just getting my rear end beat over and over as yoshimitsu, and then sometimes watching yoshi matches where I go “goddamn that’s a move he has? What”

"And then, THE AWESOME GHOST discovered eyemusician, and then they died."

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Tekken canonically happens in the Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy universe, so everyone has Babelfish.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Dumb babby clarification:

Jun u/f1 is 10f startup
Standard Mishima 1,1,2 is 10f startup

Yet every time we start the round both pressing it, the Mishima 1,1,2 wins.
I'm going to assume it's just hurtboxes not colliding nicely?

Also, after watching Knee use it, I've realised how absurd SS4 is for Jun, but I'm struggling to incorporate it yet. As a button, it's absurd, though. An 18f Mid for 20 damage that works as a Heat Engager and leaves you +6 on block?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
My mind is still boggled Leroy is so low.

E: gently caress, I'm doubly boggled that Asuka, common as poo poo in my experience, isn't in the Top 10.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It's making me want to learn Leroy, I'm such a goddamn Johnny card gamer.

(Although Jun owns bones, I've always loved playing her in every game she's been in.)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I've decided my most hated character is actually Claudio, by such a large degree it's truly silly.

Oh, that thing you learnt was 'punishable'? Too bad, it pushes you miles away, so you whiff and eat an Orbital anyway.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The rule of Steve is - Any time you think it's your turn, it's not your turn.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Is there a Goon FG Discord? I feel sure there was...

I need to programme my brain to use WR3 as Jun, not WR4. I can't help myself, I keep pressing 4, and it gives up so much damage on duckable poo poo.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 16, 2024

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
If I, a total scrub, can get to Orange by doing nothing but 'Poke, wait for them to do something dumb, TO THE MOON MY FRIEND', then you can.

E: It's amazing, seriously, how many players eventually do an entirely unnecessary blocked launcher if you just wait. They're so reliant on 'the other guy pushed a button' after every string they do, they can't deprogram it. The only issue with this approach is actually 'aware' players will overwhelm you, especially if they're good at mixup.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 18, 2024

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Char posted:

I didn't spend 60$ to spend my time blocking
-sun tzu, probably

"We require more df2"
- Aldaris

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
God I pine for the day in-game currencies are murdered. It’s such a scammy, nasty concept that’s only ignored because it’s so widespread we’ve become apathetic to it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
And of course, they put the TTT2 Jun in the store in the trailer...

...goddamnit. :smith:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Seltzer posted:

Dude I'm so done with PC players, I can't play another 5 bar PC player on a lovely machine it's so absurd they show as wired 5 bars. I've had more trouble with PC 5 bar wired than console 5 bar wireless at this point. FFS, there needs to be a minimum performance level allowed to play online.
Funny, I feel exactly the same about wireless PS5 players.

I need, as Jun, to learn my launchers, because I am respecting mashing idiots who never stop (They're all on Victor/Reina, but I'm willing to be a small sum they all used to be Hwoarang people) pushing loving buttons. Ever. Their response to ending a string? Do another. Being counter hit? Push a button. They're the SF4 Kens, and I need them to die. And of course, you can try & get the big obvious punishes, but they're just throwing out whatever single canned mixup they've learnt, and sooner or later you trade a Snake Edge, so you lose more than you gain.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, generic throws can be broken with either 1 or 2 but if you're practicing breaks might as well try to do them "right" for when it matters. Any weird looking throw I try 1+2 to see if it works first, if i can even react to it in time lol. Most of my "throw breaks" are me accidentally getting them because I was mashing an attack lol
Which is why special breaks (and arguably 2 breaks) are intrinsically better - If they're bad, they're probably mashing 1.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Excuse me, but I don't need people working out that Jun 122, 1+3 is an easy break, thank you very much.

(They're all blocking high for the 3, and planning on reacting to the slow low 4)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Funny thing is, as a Jun main, (In every game she's been in) this incarnation is weirdly... honest?

Her damage feels high, but she's not pulling off anything really fraudulent - There's little ambiguous or oppressive poo poo, she just plays 'honest' Tekken, and happens to hit very loving hard for it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

MechaX posted:

Practiced Jun for a bit but some of her combo strings just... didn't feel that intuitive for me? This isn't a Jun problem; it's a me problem, but I can't explain it any better than that. The directions and the presses like for some of her kicks just didn't gel with me.

Don't worry, this is a definite thing you need to allow for in any FG. Some people need the strings to flow right, or it just feels wrong, and you just won't gel with them. I feel envious at the players who can decouple that so easily, but that's just how it is.

That said, Tekken does allow you to progress past it, and if you have characters like that the only advice is 'Give them time', because it's just your muscle memory rebelling at the motion. Give them a chance, and you'll find your perspectives shift because your ingrained memories are.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Seltzer posted:

Everyone elses window to break is 20 frames his is 14. I think it's been already mentioned that it's going to be addressed. IIRC Fakhuram had the same issue on release too (14 frames then patched). I saw someone speculate that its legacy code from t5 or whenever when all the throws were 14. Anyways its the icing on his cheesecake atm.

And it's tedious because every Victor knows it, and is rinsing the poo poo out of it. It's basically Power Crush/Throw alternation guesswork.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Broke into Red entirely on a 'don't press anything negative' philsophy with Jun, and whilst it's really just a milestone of 'Not terrible any more' it felt really, really good.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I feel like secretly, any character without a launching low is actually better.
They're mostly not good (obvious exceptions exist) once you get out of potato ranks, and you're 'paying' for having one. Arguably, the habits you'll build on a character looking for 'honest' launches (punishes) will stand you in much better stead.

E: Slight irony when Asuka has one of the longest reaching launchers that exists. Admittedly, do it wrong and you're going TO ZE MOON, but you know, it's there.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Coming to the conclusion that not only am I free to King, I can't even begin, even watching the Punish tutorials, how to deal with him. Everything is armoured, everything crushes, everything does half bar.

Someone write :words: because I'm practically checking out when his stupid face appears on the load screen.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
TIL that Bryan's charging kick, (not the Orbital, the running move) despite not having the 'streaks' of a tracking move, will hit people who sidestep directly behind him, so that was nice.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Noticing that in the middle Red ranks, there is a pool of people playing Hwoar/Yoshi/Reina, whose entire game plan is 'Always Be Pressing', and can't block for poo poo. Their entire gameplan is 'overwhelm', and it's incredibly annoying when it works. You're having to guess because honestly, they have no idea what's coming out next either.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Walls.Tweet

https://x.com/calebcity/status/1765907984561983780?s=46&t=llulaz2AtuAZjWju5iP9MA

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
TIL Jun gets 90 damage off a FC low that’s only -11 on block, and I instantly revised my internal views on how strong my chosen character might be. Snake Edge combos for no downside.

FC df2, WR3, b42, b21b1, ff2f2

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

CharlestonJew posted:

the advice you can take from the PhiDX video is basically :

Run your offence
Power Crush every time you are in a minus situation
Block on wakeup. Otherwise never block, backdash, or sidestep ever

But... this is exactly how it is even in Red.

I'm rapidly reaching the point where I think the balance of power of risk:reward for Power Crush is way too good. So many of them combo on CH, and the counters don't reward half as well.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I mean, I'm definitely throwing more to stop it, but of course that plays into the hands of your Kings/Victors etc.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

CharlestonJew posted:

the advice you can take from the PhiDX video is basically :

Run your offence
Power Crush every time you are in a minus situation
Block on wakeup. Otherwise never block, backdash, or sidestep ever

Ugggh quoting this again because it's been my entire night.

Oh, except for Lili's - They don't even bother doing the PC or Blocking bit.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

WhatEvil posted:

Maybe this has already been posted ITT but in response to somebody posting "How should I learn?!" I thought this was a very good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqZndya05yg

It goes into some depth about how to learn to set you up for success in the higher ranks. You *can* just learn flowcharts or learn some character gimmick and combo or whatever and that might get you up to low red ranks, but then you're gonna have to relearn a bunch of poo poo because that's about when people start actually adapting to your bullshit and you can't get away with just flowcharting into the same moves every time etc.

Learning fundamentals is good. I was able to move from Garyu to Tenryu just recently, and I also beat a friend who's a Mighty Ruler recently only using Jack's B+1+2 because I've learned timing, blocking and movement way better than I did before.

Re: Combos. Honestly, I'm about to move into Mighty Ruler myself and I still don't really launch big combos. It's something I need to learn - when I can get launchers off, and the combos to go with them. I pretty much know one combo that gets 49 damage and it only works with one launcher, and even then I barely use it.
<snip>

It Was A Good Post.™

To follow up from that, once you do have 'a combo' make sure you know all the routes to it. With Jun, I've got one entirely muscle memoried sequence I can do on reaction - b43, b21b1, ff2f2. I can do that whenever, wherever, and whilst it's not OpTiMaL for if I need to hit the Big Boy ranks, it's good enough whilst I languish in Red being matched against my Purple betters. What I concentrate on now is all the routes that start it, which there are actually multiples of.... f2, df2, CH df4, CH FC2 WR3, 1222, etc. Be able to flick over to that muscle memory when the random CH you weren't expecting gets given to you. If nothing else, the combo gives you safe clock time to consider the broader arena - How we doing on life? Time? How's the wall carry looking? Does my opponent love to launch? Throw? Low? What have I messed up here during the round?

That, I think, is the secret Git Gud sauce - Getting your reactions to be unconsciously competent, so you can free up your conscious brain to play strategy, not tactics.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 13, 2024

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Dear every Reina. I can punish your stupid headbutt, stop doing it.

The funny bit is, I have no idea if it's even meant to be punishable, but they sure love pressing slow buttons after it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Conversely, if someone could rewire my brain to catch Jin's stupid low claw swipe (d+2) that CH launches for 50%, that'd be great. I can't convince myself to block it, and whenever I do by chance, despite being -14, I miss the window to punish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I genuinely think picking Lili removes block from any back inputs.