Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
First time I'm jumping in to Tekken. From my limited reading in to it, there isn't a big a difference between Characters as in something like SF6 in terms of achetypes. As someone who is more confident in taking time and waiting to punish and counter rather than rushing down and going on the offence, is there a particular way I should go for my first character. Feeling Leo and Jun's vibes and I think like everyone I think Reina is cool, but she looks like she's going to be the Tekken 8 Ken and also seems a little bit more difficult to start with?

Also I appreciate that the ranking percentiles may be difficult, but in terms of Tekken 7 how difficult is the trophie for ranking up to Vanquisher going to be for a beginner?

Weasling Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Edit: Too slow to respond, so i'll just say i've got crippling altitis, and can't play more than two games with a character in Arcade Quest.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I'm playing Arcade Quest, and I've got some early thoughts on it. Compared to Tekken 7, which I played for two hours and just put down forever because it was just undecipherable, it's a god send if you don't have any legacy or mechaical knowledge, but it's just a little short of the level of explanation I need to get into it, and what I felt SF6's World Tour mode managed to bring.

Starts with teaching you a simple launcher in into heat move combo, and just asks you to use it in matches with recommended moves to win your first battles, but it doesn't explain when is a good time to be using the launcher, what you should be doing once you've spent all your rage match start, and what the other recommended moves are bringing. Are they complimentary to learning the rage combo, are they complimentary to the character you're playing against, are they complimentary to the opponents you're playing against in Arcane quest? I'm a bit unclear.

Second quest then makes you learn a non-rage launcher combo and then the one after Power Crushes, and then lows and throws the time after, and mixes up the recommended mooves each time it teaches you something... but am I supposed to just be focusing on that powercrush in each game to get used to it, am I supposed to be remembering and layering it over the stuff I learn previously? I'm understanding what it's trying to teach me as Ling, but just not why it's just trying to teach me at each particularly point, and how that relates to overall gameplan. In SF6 WT you'd fight a string of enemies all spamming the same mood, each trying to teach you a fundamental skill like anti-air, punishing unsafe moves, jumping etc, and it'd hit you with it over and over again through a segment to reinforce what scenario it's useful for, but Arcade Quest seems to treat the learning more like, 'Ok, here's a new fundamental concept, now just go back to having another normal battle again'.

Still a godsend rather than having to just use youtube videos to learn as it gives you something to hold on to, but I still don't feel like I'm learning Tekken or becoming a better player from doing it.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Despite sounding like it comes through the 2000's, I literally can't stop the opening movie music from playing in my head on loop.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I finished all the single player content, so I'm ready to move into online games for a bit. I'd like to say Arcade Quest taught me something, but while it explained concepts very well, I didn't learn anything much about the characters I played. I dipped me toes in several different ones to learn the tutorials and recommended moves, but once I found out that you can literally just loop Lilly D2,1 over and over to perfect 90% of the opponents, I sort of just blasted through it and learnt nothing at all. More fool me.

Having continually swapped characters over and over, I need to pick one and stick to it rather than learning and forgetting the moves on repeat, and I'm stuck between Steve, Leo, Ling, Asuka and Lilly with no idea how I'll go for. Probably put aside Steve as a beginner just because of the difficulty factor, but as for the other 4 I haven't a clue who I'm going to sit down with in my first multiplayer session and just commit too.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I picked up Asuka myself. Won my first game in the 5th round, guy didnt replay, I took the 100% win rate for now and will come back later.

What I want to start with is mastering the defensive game, particularly as the early ranks will likely just be people trying to using heat combos on repeat.

What i've worked out so far, based on arcade quest and you tube is this.
1, 1 and 1, 2 are high/mid jab strings, 1, 3 is a high low mixup option if their blocking.
F3 is a poke from further put, and DB3 is the low option from the same distance
F4 is the whiff punisher if you they throw out something big.
F1+2 is a high/mid powercrush and heat engager if they're in my face, while B3 and D3+4 crush lows. I can also use B1+3 from the counter stance.

Theres a low that goes into a hit grab leg breaker, but don't know how to use it.
Leaving all the combos and install uniques for now, is there any other options I should practice or know to begin with at the pre-green ranks?

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Nice Van My Man posted:

I think ironically it's probably harder to get your turn in the lower ranks, where people tend to just mash buttons a lot. A frame trap would be a good way to teach them, but it can be hard to get even those out if they're mashing.

Maybe some nice high crushing moves? If they're beating you to the punch it's got to be with a high attack. Or just grab them, nothing wrong with turning it into a wrestling match.
I'm playing Asuka at the moment, and I'm only in Green rank with a 50%ish win rate, so take this with a pinch of salt, but...
I've struggled to do much with Asuka's jab other than use it to frame trap into B3. I don't know if its slower than others jabs, but I definitely am using it way too often to take me turn and getting blitzed when I'm pushing, but blocking forever just lets people chip me down and mix me up into lows. I should probably try and learn a combo or something, because not being able to punish anyone with anything when I do read well isn't a winning strategy, have to get too many guesses in a row right to win a round (or hit the lucky rage art, which also happens a lot at green rank).

Basically, what has worked well for me is B1, DB3 and DB4, F4, and F1+2 for the high and medium crush. I should deffo use the counter stance and D3+4 more. If I land 1, then the frame-trap into B3 works more often that not, but I don't often land the 1 at a distance it can hit from without getting hit back first.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Nice Van My Man posted:

You really need a combo to make people respect you. Nothing calms them down quite like being juggled in the air for a little while. Don't worry about how much damage the combo does, pick the easiest combo possible to start. It's more about the psychic damage of being comboed than the actual damage, not that the damage doesn't matter but it sounds like your opponents need some psychic damage.

I've grabbed the two combos from the thread above (Launch into FF2,3 DB1,4 FF4 FF2 1+2 and DB4,3 2,1,2 dd2, 1+2) and I'm going to practice them and just throw a my ranked sessions today just to try and get them out regularly. Good thing about being at green rank is there's no loss penalty, so it feels like free practice.
Like wise, I'll trry the F4 4 and FF1 B4 frametraps on top of the 1 B3 to see if they feel any better and add a bit more variety to the kit. Looks like's a few goons in here who have picked Asuka as beginners so hopefully we can trade notes as we get better.
Only thing can stop me is my unyielding itch to want to try someone new all the time.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Due to mental health stuff, I took a few weeks away from games, and have come back this weekend to give it a go.

I decided to pick Steve up (Despite knowing he is beginner friendly OR particularly strong in 8, but I like the achetype) and watched 3 or 4 guides to get some basic ideas. At pre-green ranks I'm at around 20% WR currently (though I'm ok with allowing that, knowing that I have no tekken knowledge or cheese to rely on, so I'm happy I'm going to get battered for a bit), but I want to take baby steps to try and improve and learn fundamental skills. I've got a few things written down to try to work on, but at the moment there's too much overload to try and get it all at once and I have difficulty setting myself small achievable goals. I'm happy to just throw games for a few weeks to practice key skills, and have a list of things that that I could spend time on, but I was wondering if anyone could give me pointers on what either the most practical or enjoyable step I should take to learn 8 and Steve.

Is it better to simply just practice movement and concentrating on sidestepping, getting distance, and just trying to land jab strings all game and whiff punishing with 1+2 or blocking up and trying to read opponents moves and doing simple punishes at super low levels? I feel like I'm getting hit a lot by not just pressing a button too early or just opponents spamming lows a lot, and my brain hasn't learn the buttons well enough to not flow into panic spam, so I'd rather pick one tactic even if it isn't well rounded, and try to practive that element of the game.

His 10/11f punisher is 1,1,2, but has to duck cancel to be safe, and his 12f is either 2, 2 for a simple combo or 2, 1 and either back to go into peakaboo into flicker. Would it be better to just stick to 10f for everything and try to practice duck cancels until safe, or would it be better to practice a simple punish game, or using 2,1 and trying to use a flicker or peakaboo options? I'm not at the stage where my game knowledge is good enough to idenfity what punish fits what move (or even if an enemy is positive), but feel like trying to learn all of that at once is a bit much for one session at a go.

Is there anything I can simply do when ever he get's into Lionheart to avoid just taking a big punish, or is training my brain to go ub3 and 1 or 2 to try and counter hit a simpler response to program whenever he switches into LH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I logged on to play Tekken 8 yesterday, and it felt a bad time to choose to be beginner with a 1000 alt eddies in the rank queue.

I'm trying out Nina, and I've written out about 20 moves with frame data and notes, but I feel like choice paralysis is real. Should I just pick a jab string, a frame trap, a quick low, and i10 and i15 punish and a combo for launchers and just fine tune that 1000 times, or is it worth just throwing out everything to begin with and just see what sticks?