Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
ling xiaoyu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

I can't KBD for poo poo and I wish it wasn't a thing in Tekken.

With normal backdashing buffed in this game i dont think it'll be necessary to kbd until very very very high level (like tournament-tier), a lot of TGP people in tekken 7 had kbds roughly as fast as the default now

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Seltzer posted:

Been maining Azu but have been running through all the characters in Practice to see what they can do in heat and...... Xiaoyu seems really fun this edition. I used her a decent bit in T7 and the moves and setups came back to me pretty quick. She's got some really dope heat options so I think I might have to try her out for a few days. I'm having success with Azu but I feel like her stances are less coherent than others who are tricksters. Eddy flows very well for me and Xiaoyu also has more options and logic in her flow then Azu I think. Oh yeah, Xiaoyu had some kinda tricky combos and they made them easier (along with a lot of combos across the board which I dont like but alas) so she'll be pretty quick to pick up again I think.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I should try xiayou, she seems fun

I should also learn how to actually use the heat stuff. I feel like I'm getting 50-65 damage on a launch but I can't help thinking that should be higher if I really understood the systems

xiaoyu is hella buffed in this game, her real pain point in 7 was not having good approach options and ff4/f2,1,2 are insane buttons they gave her and she can legitimately bully her way in with them now lol. you can play her as standard or as gimmicky as you want but that + hypnotist being fleshed out into a legitimate pressure stance gives her way better options in a ton of situations she used to struggle in.

as for combos she has a pretty good universal pickup option in (*launcher* df2 f3,1 RDS 2 RDS 1,4 wr3 AOP 1+2), which I think does 67ish? but her combo game is way more indepth in this game and still being labbed out, here's a video im studying right now that has pretty practical combos that go into the 70s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp9-bHgGGgs

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

shaheen rules

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

they did add a handful over the course of 7 and it seems like a slam dunk thing to monetize, so

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Seltzer posted:

its RDS2 then RDS 1,2 btw lol (rds 1,4 isnt a thing). This was driving me nuts for a few minutes

fjskd sorry that was the string in tekken 7 lol. old habits

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

There's also a bigger split between mechanical and gameplan complexity in tekken than in a lot of fighting games i think. theres characters that have a lot (steve) or little (paul) of both, but then you have characters like mishimas that are pretty straightforward in what they want to DO but with really high executions demands, as well as ones like xiaoyu and king that dont ask much of you in terms of execution but have sky-high mental stacks to manage. it's cool and a big reason i like tekken but makes characters hard to define on a one-plane spectrum like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

there are 2 stages of being knocked down, landing (where among other inputs, holding back will make you instantly roll backwards) and wakeup, where you are fully laying down and have different options, including holding back to go right into a standing block. nobody is lying to you in the something awful tekken 8 thread