Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

brainSnakes posted:

I do really wish there were more 3d fighters in general, as a relatively recent convert to genuinely loving those.

Still waiting on that VF5 remaster on PC, Sega!

Or just a new VF without incredibly bad UX that would also be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
France really going hard in this generation of fighting games

Orv
May 4, 2011
Call it four hours, I need to make everyone look stupid first

Orv
May 4, 2011
:hmmyes:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I see they've moved all the loading time from rematching into the customization editor.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Already a patch out on Steam and lots of crash reports about the PC version, Tekken comin' in hot as is becoming usual.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The other SP stuff is character stories and arcade quest. Arcade quest is like a very (very, very) lite version of SF6 World Tour; no open world but basically a good vibes only extended training mode. It’s not terribly long either though.

Ghosts are also technically SP I suppose if you want to fight humans but never deal with humans.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Embodying Reina in and out of game, powerful

Orv
May 4, 2011
I honestly can’t even decide which joke to make. Between costumes and fgc names - both the profane and the deep cuts - that’s gonna be a wild ride for any kid.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Honestly from what I’ve been seeing almost every “top of mid tier” fan favorite got some nice buffs and especially a lot of people’s weirder or high execution stuff got some heavy leniency. Not that I object to that, Tekken is already kind of a cliff before you take DSS or chain throws or *gestures at all of Lee* but it does seem to mean that characters who were borderline scary are now just scary.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Seltzer posted:

He's like what a kid would scribble in notepad if they were designing what they thought was a cool character.

So a Tekken character.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean there are definitely characters that fit the more like, grim, grounded aesthetic of Tekken which is definitely part of why I've always felt like it's cooler or 'more real' than other fighting games. But this is also a series where a man with a jaguar head is a Mexican professional wrestler and the main conflict in the story is that some people just genetically have a bit of Satan, The Devil in them. Bryan is a cyborg but also kind of a zombie and he's Real Mad. It's an inherently dumb series and the head of a ninja assassination clan being some posh, John Wick French guy feels pretty on point.

That's subjective, of course but I'm definitely in camp it works.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The ninja assassination clan is a different one, that's also the one where the cyborg zombie massacred most of them to steal their source of infinite energy

Ah yes, how silly of me.

RME posted:

It’s all going to be irrelevant when the kangaroos come back anyways

If there's gonna be 10 years of Tekken 8 we better get Gon back.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RME posted:

Gon is actually a licensed/crossover char so his rear end is dead forever

Well, poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sword is cool but have you considered sword helicopter?

Honestly the weirdness is the draw of Yoshi I feel like. He and Lei are just there to have a good time, not a long time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

If you think Tekken has a grim, grounded aesthetic then I strongly encourage you to play the story mode.

This has always been a game where Roy Batty can fight a space ninja.

Oh I think it tries to but it definitely doesn’t succeed. I think more accurately that it tries to look ‘real’ compared to a lot of the other games in the genre but honestly MK looks pretty realistic these days too and Tekken still outdoes MK on the anime factor.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think people took this tweet too seriously

Listen cognitive dissonance is very impactful, in this essay I will

Orv
May 4, 2011
There’s too many devils in this digital saga!

Orv
May 4, 2011
If there are bear specific combos where are the twink specific combos

I guess Noctis has to come back after all

Orv
May 4, 2011

E4C85D38 posted:

Have you not seen Leo?

I’ve honestly never been clear on what’s official with Leo and what’s stupid internet jokes so I didn’t want to be unintentionally awful.

Just intentionally dad joke awful. :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011
:sigh: Well that’s not great, appreciate the explanation though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr E posted:

Leo is Leo. That's all that's important.

:hmmyes:

I kept meaning to poke at them in T7, their stances are really cool and they just seem like an overall cool moveset character, I should finally rectify that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Calling Shaheen a character isn’t even correct, the man is a cardboard cutout of a sheet of legal paper.

Unrelated, I think in every Tekken overview I’ve ever seen I’ve heard Nina referred to as really hard to execute but I’m not sure anyone has actually explained why. What up? I’m doing my usual “you know I could play someone other than a grappler” fooling myself tour and her move list seemed cool but not necessarily worse than anyone else?

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 1, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011

Autsj posted:

Jokes on you, Nina is partly a grappler.

:shittypop:

Autsj posted:

With evil mist simplified, Nina's execution issues come primarily from her Hayashida step, sidestep 1 cancels, and her butterfly loops; the first two are likely to be really impactful in T8, jury's still out on the butterflies (but then I always thought there were more show that practical). She also has a very large movelist with a lot of situational stuff, so she can lead to analysis paralysis until you are fully comfy with her. But she's also a known scrub killer and it doesn't take much to just cheese people out with her. I mained her in 7, you can ask me what you want about her.

I’ll give her a bit more time and hit you up if I stick with her. A lot of her standard buttons felt really good and her extended list is definitely appealing as a learning project. Thanks!

Orv
May 4, 2011

brainSnakes posted:

No joke, Kazumi is at the absolute top of my hope to see return as dlc character list, and I don't even play her. She was such a hit at both casual and tournament level I think they'd be insane not to consider her.

All you need to do to justify it is say she's haunting Kazuya because he's a nerd. All protests of folks who think a character being dead in a fighting game matters are officially resolved.

Kazuyaaaaa, sneaaaakerrrrs Kazuyaaaaa? You doooooork oooOOOooOOOOooo *tiger attack*

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think there’s definitely that attitude of “If you can’t do a taunt jet upper/live in Phoenix stance/flash everything/never drop Acid Rain/etc are you even alive?!” that kind of makes some of the ideas about how difficult characters in Tekken a bit weird. Almost everybody can get by with your standard punish moves, some very light mixup and combo and whatever your particular gimmick is but the discussion kind of gets warped around the gimmick being the whole of a character.

Which, granted, you’re probably poking at Bryan because taunt jet uppers look incredible to pull off and you’re 1,000% right but I think it’s a lot of cart before the horse for new players. Same problem as learning KBD, I guess.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Don’t apologize for hot knowledge, it’s all good to know

For beating the poo poo out of Bryan

Orv
May 4, 2011
Rashid is a huge dork but in a very fun way, he's a great character.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Conditioned straight out of existence, beautiful

Orv
May 4, 2011
Definitely watching that, thanks.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Story mode was great but honestly the best part of it was them giving Dragunov an in-universe reason to crawl into a fight. Absolutely broke me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

unattended spaghetti posted:

Tekken the game is excellent.

Tekken the aesthetic is hot loving garbage.

I feel like they know though cause I'm wearing a traffic cone hat, a Hawaiian shirt, acid wash jeans and groucho glasses hahaha

Unbelievably wrong

Orv
May 4, 2011
Okay, talk to me Goose; Lili some bullshit.

It feels but probably isn't true that all of her goddamn flips and fast kicks and all that are ridiculously safe/hard to punish because of their block push back or how far away she ends up at the end of a string. Surely it can't be as safe as it looks and the pause in her triple back flip between hit 2 and 3 can't be the only punish. What do?

Orv
May 4, 2011

interrodactyl posted:

Use the replay review system to figure out exactly which of those you can interrupt or punish

...Right, right yeah that would be a really good idea. Fuckin' idiot I am.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Projectile zoners don’t really exist in Tekken outside of some guest characters and the occasional weird attack which kind of does the job. Nina and Victor have guns and can kind of play keep out with them, Devil Jin can do some (wildly unsafe) laser shenanigans.

You might look into defensive characters or ones with heavy counter hits with long reach. Bryan, Lee, Hwoarang and Raven come to mind immediately, Steve got some new tools with surprisingly long range as well.

You’re not really going to be keeping people out so much as punishing them for getting in.

E: Comedy option that the shotgun accessory turns anyone into a zoner.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 12, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nice Van My Man posted:

I hope they don't do annoying as gently caress DLC characters again.

There was a leak that said Fahkumram is a year one character so lol lmao

Orv
May 4, 2011

spiritual bypass posted:

Wait, you stop pushing buttons sometimes?

Sicko poo poo

Orv
May 4, 2011
I recommend not being kicked, for starters

(I don’t have actually useful info though, Lee players are usually terrifying)

Orv
May 4, 2011
I’ll allow it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I love that Feng is just kind of an evil martial arts dude who hangs around, never really involved with the main story of any game he's just out there to punch some dudes and be angry.