Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

unattended spaghetti posted:

Totally contrary to these positive developments, I'm about to learn to be totally ignorant and gorilla because tbh where I'm at, bottom of the heap, trying to be defensive in Tekken feels like a good way to get murdered when I inevitably fail to dash or side step or whatever lol.

Still looking for a main. Feng and Nina and Leroy are really fun to mess with. That b1 Feng has is ridiculous and seems like it would really annoy people.

Here's some things I've found about beating people at lower ranks.

1. Do not play "fair". Abuse the stupid poo poo your character has. Tekken 8 rewards aggression heavily and until they prove they can beat your offense. JDCR said "don't play high level Tekken with yourself". Create a simple game plan for your offense and run it over and over until it stops working. Ironically, once your offense is structured and effective, it's easier to think about defense because you're not dedicating as much active thinking about offense.

2. Find a plus on block mid that's rewarding to hit them with. Dragunov fff2, Reina ff2~f, Victor ff1+2, etc.

3. Frame trap them after your plus mid until they show they can deal with it. Do you have a good CH launcher? Hit that button. Lower rank players love to mash.

4. Once they show they're respecting your plus mids, now you get to use movement, throws, and lows.

5. Always rematch and analyze your own play. The replay system in this game is incredible, and you will learn defense when you review situations that you get caught by and lab them out. Over enough time that will build good defensive habits with practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Unlucky7 posted:

Went online for the first time ever with Paul. Got completely washed by a Feng using Special Style, but won 2-1 against a Reina afterward, where I got a little better about breaking throws and remembering "Oh yeah, I have Deathfist".

Speaking of breaking throws, is it a thing where I start to notice which hand they lead with and breaking with that, or is it still kind of a 50-50 thing?

watch this video about learning throw breaks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDUUbuzuelA

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Artelier posted:

Thanks everyone for EWGF on leverless tips! In looking up the guides and testing the solutions, I accidentally found a not-so-viable-but-works thing for me, which only works on facing right.

Basically, for the df+2 part, the d is held by my left hand like usual, but f and 2 is using my right hand. Since it's the same hand, timing it together is easy. Bam, easy electric. But of course, that's only in practice mode, and only facing right. In the heat of a match, going out of my standard hand positioning will be trickier.

Bind an extra button to analog stick left that you can hit with your right hand and you can do the same thing on 2p side. You can do it with your pinky or something.

This is completely legal according to TWT rules.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Orv posted:

Okay, talk to me Goose; Lili some bullshit.

It feels but probably isn't true that all of her goddamn flips and fast kicks and all that are ridiculously safe/hard to punish because of their block push back or how far away she ends up at the end of a string. Surely it can't be as safe as it looks and the pause in her triple back flip between hit 2 and 3 can't be the only punish. What do?

Use the replay review system to figure out exactly which of those you can interrupt or punish

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Artelier posted:

That's a good cue for me to ask; when is it a good idea to sidestep? I understand there are moves that track sidestep and those that don't, and some attacks hit to the side in only one direction. But I'm not sure when to deliberately sidestep (I assume it's some sort of educated guess?) - and also, if I'm right, I shouldn't be sidestepping right next to the opponent if they're in neutral since most moves are going to hit anyway it feels?

Like I see people doing dash in/out and sidestepping and looping them and that looks effective. But I'm not sure when to raw sidestep, if ever. Or reasons to do one over the other.

Aris talks about how to integrate movement into your gameplay here (starts with back dashing to illustrate): https://youtu.be/hJEJ8PJXoaM?si=pXptBDpLT91tVLYQ

Now here's a shorter vid from him about how to do use sidesteps: https://youtu.be/ncCRFrZeAXY?si=Tx9uVnfNeFOKrnol

When you have a better idea of how to do it in conjunction with moves, PhiDX talks about sidestepping in neutral in combination with attack timings: https://youtu.be/FV4fEGGNm60?si=ASBIsWnxhypczqTH

e: One more video that goes more in depth to mechanics: https://youtu.be/cv2yYnQi5i4?si=XxU2oXQV27ostppk

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 8, 2024

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Tekken 4 Jin was notoriously broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xot58QflE28

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Paul is a very good character to learn Tekken. What are you having trouble with?

The only difficult execution things he has are qcf1 in combos because that can't be buffered, and a few just frames.

If you're having trouble with qcf/qcb inputs in general, try holding down the final direction as you press the attack button. This doesn't really apply to Paul as much since his qcb/qcf are stances, but it might help.

e: To be clear you never need to do qcf1 in combos because it's only a minor damage increase, and the only just frame you "need" to be able to do it after ff2 and that's pretty generous.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Okay there are two things about QCF motions in tekken:

1. If your move is a stance, you need to do the motion to get into the stance, and then press the button you want. See: Paul forward sway, King crouch dash, mishima crouch dash, etc. These cannot be buffered, so you must fully wait for recovery from a previous move before doing them.

2. If your move is an actual qcf / qcb motion that is not going into a stance, you should hold the final direction as you press the punch/kick button for consistency.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Artelier posted:

Day 4 of learning EWGF, back on leverless, and it's still not really consistent, but I'm starting to get the feel of when I got it or not. Most of the time it's no, but my body is starting to understand the feeling of when I do get it.

Also went into ranked for a bit and managed to hit double EWGF combo in for the first time wheeeee. Did I win the match? No, but hey, I hit it!! (I need to learn when do people actually use this)

It's a +5 on block, far reaching, hard to whiff punish launcher. As you can imagine, that makes it very flexible.

If it was a one button move for any other character, how would you use that move? If you don't have a clear answer for how that fits into your specific game plan, you should try to answer that first before worrying too much about executing electrics.

For example, maybe you want to focus more on using movement to create whiffs. In that case, you can work on integrating backdash, electric into how you normally play.

I've run into a few Mishima players on ranked with great execution but their defense is awful and they're just getting counterhit 5x in a row and dying to a level 1 mixup.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Weird Pumpkin posted:

God I'm so bad at tekken :negative:

Whenever I play versus opponents that mostly pick moves that are + or not really punishable I get completely lost on defense, and other than pokes or occasionally punishing a bad option I still feel like I don't really "get" lili's offense. Maybe I should play someone with more access to + frames..

Might spend some time playing Azucena again and see how that feels, or maybe try out Alisa and see if the chainsaws gel more

Lili is a 50/50 robbery character with disgusting options from back turn stance. Combine that with her f4 for keep out, solid lows, and sidestep on your slight minus frames to make people respect her. Then if that works you get to be a poke character.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
https://haute42.com/

all their stuff is good and cheap

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Randler posted:

(Also, as I'm already posting about Asuka and are in a salty mood, I feel like all the guides/people saying Asuka is a good beginner character are lying. Her toolbox feels super weak/reliant on being able to put up a proper defence, to me compared to the bullshit other characters can pull off with launching lows and far reaching moves.)

Good beginner character doesn't necessarily mean easy wins, more that their game plan is straightforward and in some cases helps you learn Tekken.

Asuka does have plenty of gimmicks if you want to lean into that side, but so does every other character.

e: if you want an easy win character right now just pick king

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Weasling Weasel posted:

Due to mental health stuff, I took a few weeks away from games, and have come back this weekend to give it a go.

I decided to pick Steve up (Despite knowing he is beginner friendly OR particularly strong in 8, but I like the achetype) and watched 3 or 4 guides to get some basic ideas. At pre-green ranks I'm at around 20% WR currently (though I'm ok with allowing that, knowing that I have no tekken knowledge or cheese to rely on, so I'm happy I'm going to get battered for a bit), but I want to take baby steps to try and improve and learn fundamental skills. I've got a few things written down to try to work on, but at the moment there's too much overload to try and get it all at once and I have difficulty setting myself small achievable goals. I'm happy to just throw games for a few weeks to practice key skills, and have a list of things that that I could spend time on, but I was wondering if anyone could give me pointers on what either the most practical or enjoyable step I should take to learn 8 and Steve.

Is it better to simply just practice movement and concentrating on sidestepping, getting distance, and just trying to land jab strings all game and whiff punishing with 1+2 or blocking up and trying to read opponents moves and doing simple punishes at super low levels? I feel like I'm getting hit a lot by not just pressing a button too early or just opponents spamming lows a lot, and my brain hasn't learn the buttons well enough to not flow into panic spam, so I'd rather pick one tactic even if it isn't well rounded, and try to practive that element of the game.

His 10/11f punisher is 1,1,2, but has to duck cancel to be safe, and his 12f is either 2, 2 for a simple combo or 2, 1 and either back to go into peakaboo into flicker. Would it be better to just stick to 10f for everything and try to practice duck cancels until safe, or would it be better to practice a simple punish game, or using 2,1 and trying to use a flicker or peakaboo options? I'm not at the stage where my game knowledge is good enough to idenfity what punish fits what move (or even if an enemy is positive), but feel like trying to learn all of that at once is a bit much for one session at a go.

Is there anything I can simply do when ever he get's into Lionheart to avoid just taking a big punish, or is training my brain to go ub3 and 1 or 2 to try and counter hit a simpler response to program whenever he switches into LH?

If you are below green ranks, this is way too complicated. Find a good flowchart and run it over and over until people start adapting. Don't play high level Tekken by yourself. Your opponents are gonna mash and you are going to have to oppress them into not mashing. Learning a flowchart that works at your level will help you identify specific things to work on as you get better and the flowchart stops being as oppressive.

For Steve, this means doing WR2 (a plus frame heat engager) into a frame trap (ideally safe with good CH reward) until they start blocking the frame trap, and then do WR2 into a low or throw or WR2 again. See my previous post in this thread about that and go find the few Good Moves you want to abuse.

e: Here is a top level korean Steve doing this last night in a tournament: https://youtu.be/-huXy7wkBbQ?t=4m28s

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 10, 2024

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
The only way you're getting launched so much is if you're pressing buttons constantly when it's not your turn or you're literally holding forward into their attacks.

You are getting to interact a lot with your opponent, you're just losing those interactions consistently.

Let's say each combo does on average 70 damage. It will take 3 combos to kill you each round since every character has 180 health. There are 3 rounds in a match, and it's first to 2 in a ranked set.

That means you are getting to make at least 18 meaningful interactions with your opponent even if you were to lose every single one.

You can watch two replays and see at least 18 times that you got hit and why, and you can even take over your character from that point in the replay and figure out how to win the interaction. (For most of those the answer is to hold back to block.)

A lot of combos in Tekken 8 are easy, but the only reason you're getting hit by so many is because you made decisions that caused you to get launched. If you did that 18 times in a first to two set then yeah you should probably lose.

Realistically you are probably interacting with your opponent 10+ times in a single round, so I really don't understand how much more you want opportunities to not gently caress up.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
eat poo poo nazzadan

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

playing reina like an ordinary mishima is a trap. electric is not a good neutral tool with reina - you can actually duck it because it's a high attack. i've played reina dittos with losers with electric macros and it's hilarious watching the lights turn on in their heads when I duck their electrics. you'd think electric would be good in punish combos but it isn't even worth using when you can just heat smash and twirl for 270 damage a round.

True. This is why you should never press a button in neutral that is a high, they can all be ducked. And every low can be block punished, so you shouldn't use those easier. This is why pro tekken players never use highs or lows.

I can't believe Harada and Murray created a +5 on block, forward advancing, low recovery, pressure and keepout launcher that is useless in neutral because it's a high. It can be ducked! Piece of poo poo garbage tool.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Cornwind Evil posted:

Got a post for anyone who loves to talk about nitty gritty.

Just why was Leroy Smith so broken when he debuted in Tekken 7? Why did he remain very strong even when nerfed? And what changes did Tekken 8 make that ATM, makes him more middle of the pack than 'this guy renders 95 percent of the other characters pointless to play'? The more details, the better. I always find it interesting when a character goes from incredibly strong to less so, like what happened with Sean in Street Fighter III's second and third incarnations (in his case he got smacked with the nerf bat way too hard).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tee697wf1GU&t=137s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
bamco can't fix that they're too busy adding low poly low res old costumes to the tekken shop