Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Can't wait until Friday gonna pick up the bears and go to town with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Still keeping my fingers crossed for a collab with FF7R part 2 and we get Tifa in Tekken

While I'd love Tifa as a guest character I noticed that Bryan's moniker is "The Harbinger of Chaos" and all I could think was put Jack Garland in so he can hunt Chaos.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Basticle posted:

lol that they only made one unified torso model

They needed to focus on making a second torso model just for Bob when he's DLC

Oh, who am I kidding they'll just shave the bear model and call it a day.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

ghostinmyshell posted:

It's the year 2024 and they still use that silly KO animation where you grab your back after a few seconds of being on the ground. Sudden back pain!

If you play it in reverse it's the exact motions I go through when I wake up and get out of bed every morning.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Been derping around in practice, customisation and arcade quest mode since I got off work, sticking with Kuma for the time being and uh I have no real clue what I'm doing. I picked up a couple of the higher damage suggestion strings from practice and fish for openings with df+2 or F, F+2. Heat I mostly use as an armoured counter but I haven't found a follow-up after landing a heat attack and doing a heat rush forward - is this just supposed to put you in their face so you can start a mix-up?

Coming from SF6 it's funny how slow a lot of the lows are in this game - they're turgid and very easy to block for the most part.

I wish you could keybind sidestepping like you can in Tekken 3 but it's probably a side effect of side-walking being a thing. I don't side-step. I should probably side-step more.

Unless I've missed something obvious I couldn't find anywhere that told me what the little symbols in the practice movelists mean which is a bit annoying.

Game's a lot of fun I can't wait to see stuff develop and eventually go online and fight people and lose.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Started and finished story mode over the course of the afternoon. It's "better" than T7s but that isn't a high bar to trip over. It is however extremely over the top utterly loving bonkers from the word "go" and I did in fact find myself looking back at the earlier Tekken games and wondering how the gently caress we got to (spoilers) Angel Jin and True Devil Kazuya fighting with lasers on a chunk of rock in outer space. My advice to anyone holding back on playing it - I finished it on medium with a few losses in chapters 1, 14 and 15. It might be wise to look up a Jin string or two along the way since you'll be spending most of the story controlling him. Or just abuse the gently caress out of his f, f+4 since the CPU loves letting you land it.

Oh and some of the boss characters that show up in the story mode get unlocked for arcade battle (NOT ARCADE QUEST) as final bosses. I think. I've fought Devil Kazuya, then I cleared story mode and went back to arcade and fought Azazel and Angel Jin. The latter is by far the most busted PoS fight. Took a few tries but I finally shot a rocket salmon up his arsehole to win.

Story ending spoilers: There's actually two endings to story mode but boy they make you work for the bad ending. The only way I could get Kazuya to win the last stage of the last fight was to crouch and just take all the mediums he was throwing out and even then the game gave Jin a 50% heal after his health gauge emptied first time. Even so I'm fairly confident the good ending is the canon one, as the credit pictures show stuff like Feng Wei having murdered Leroy Smith in the bad ending as well we Kazuya tossing Jin off a cliff onto some rocks (of course), while the good ending left the door open for Kazuya to come back. The credit stinger with Reina revealing her devil gene opens up an interesting question of just how many devil gene carriers there are in the world as it doesn't end with just Jin and Kazuya.

Oh, and Jun was a big fat nothing in the end. All that hype for no screen time and a short crappy comic unlock.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

spiritual bypass posted:

Pick whoever looks the coolest (Kuma)

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

https://youtu.be/YEDLRTOjxcA?si=IWvae2TEwnde-3yn

Here’s a 3 hour YouTube showing every character and explaining them.

This made me wanna change mains like, 7 times unfortunately

lol I immediately clipped this at the Kuma/Panda section when he fired off a combo that blew mine out of the water by a good 20 points of damage without using heat :stare:. Gonna try and dissect it later to get the inputs.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Thank goodness they kept Fiji (Roger/Alex theme) for me to use on the character customisation screen. I think I use Tekken 2 more than any other games OST in my jukebox, game has mad nostalgia for me.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Solus posted:

Whats the vibe you get when you're facing a mirror matchup

I'm 'maining" King at the moment and when I meet another King it's 100% hype but i feel like two Kazuya mains would be filled with anger

My dude I'm "maining" Kuma and I struggle to find people who don't just bail after the first match because there's no room for a bear in star glasses and a top hat in their serious karate man fight game. :(

But when I do find a Kuma mirror you better believe I am dissecting that poo poo in replays afterwards to find new tech to incorporate.

Edit:

Skjorte posted:

I've had zero mirror matches as either bear. In fact, I think I've yet to run into a Kuma or a Panda at all across hundreds of matches.

Maybe we'll meet each other down the road, share a salmon, play with a beach ball, take a nap, just have a good time. :)

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Well yeah but I only had my first online matches on Monday, gotta build up some confidence first. Baby steps my friend. :)

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Gutted that I can't find the slowmo of the Akuma whiffing a jumping tatsu, jumping back over them off screen, shot coming in with a raging demon before the other character recovered from their move.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Seltzer posted:

I kinda do feel bad for newcomers at the moment lol. I started T7 about a year into the game cycle and in ranked everyone was as crappy as me and same with casual. Casual and ranked are filled with people on 0 points who were high level t7 players. That should adjust itself in due time. I get it though, I didnt touch ranked for a week because I wanted to learn a whole new character and and the new system. What I'm getting at is things will level out soon enough.

I think I'm that person you're describing since this is my first Tekken since 3? Yeah my formative T8 experience has been in ranked - the whiplash of playing a Claudio who let me raw db2+3 over and over because "how do I dodge low?" Straight into a Leo with a 23 win streak (which I added to!) Thankfully the tools on-hand in the game are pretty good at telling me where I went wrong and what I can do better next time. I think otherwise the only person I ran into who was definitely at the wrong rank was a Kazuya with very oppressive pressure. I'm definitely not discouraged and the lack of rank loss at my level is a godsend at keeping me from tilting, its been a super enjoyable experience so far.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Weird Pumpkin posted:

:same:

It's a really useful test of "hey does this actually work?" which, in my case at least has resulted in mostly "oops no, now I'm dead" but ya gotta learn somehow!

Speaking of learning, is there a way to just take control of a replay? The tips functions is great, but it's shown me once or twice that a string is duckable but not let me actually take control of the replay to practice ducking it. Also I've seen a few strings that are -10 that I'd like to try and build muscle memory for punishing, but it never seems to give me the chance and as far as I can tell there's no "give me control of the replay" button?

I play on the PS5 version so don't know what the PC input is but during a replay and tips I can click in the left or right stick to control P1/P2 respectively.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

If you play any Mishima in Special Style you can do perfect electrics by just pressing triangle - could be that

That includes Kuma in heat mode right? I mean he IS the true heir to Heihachi he's as Mishima as they come.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

I'm surprised Jun and Kuma have never had a special intro given that Jun entered the second tournament because she thought it was hosed up to teach boxing to kangaroos and dinosaurs

It's more accurate to say Jun has a special intro with Kuma - she just says "I'm not here to hurt you, but you need to settle down..." But Kuma just does his usual roaring with no dialogue in brackets underneath. Then again Kuma's intros are kinda buggy - he doesn't have an intro with Xiaoyu outside of his character episode, but whenever he beats Xiaoyu in any other mode he says "Yay! I'm getting married at last!" As if he beat Panda. Either the line isn't meant to play or he's supposed to use his character episode lines "If I win, let me marry Panda!" And "Now I can marry Panda!"

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Phenotype posted:

I haven't been up on my Tekken lore since playing 4 back in college, so who the gently caress is this Lars dude? Cannot shake the feeling that its your weeb best friend trying to cosplay as a Tekken character.

In addition to what Medullah said, Lars was a big shot in the Tekken Force branch of the Mishima Zaibatsu but in T6 when Jin decided that WW3 needed to happen, Lars went "Nah" and lead a revolt taking about half of the Tekken force with him. At the climax Jin reveals he started WW3 to draw out Satan Azazel so he could kill it and expunge the root of the devil gene and save the world from a big demon through mutually assured destruction. Eventually he and Jin killed Azazel (or so they thought) and Jin's body was recovered by Raven and the UN. Lars doesn't do much in T7 other than find Jin's body and take it somewhere safe so he can recuperate following his battle with Azazel while Heihachi takes back the Mishima Zaibatsu, and Heihachi and Kazuya have their father-son feud before T8 when Kazuya and Jin have their father-son feud.

... I think? I might have muddied some details. Tekken is by far the most soap opera of the fighting games I've played.

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 5, 2024

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Glagha posted:

And of course people understand King when he speaks jaguar

This was so loving funny in the T8 story mode I had to rewatch the cutscene where he's warning Steve that the enemy is closing in on him and it's just GRR RAWR ROAR GRR!

Tekken just has the best school system ever because everyone is multi-lingual, that's my take. Everyone takes refresher courses and when s character from a region of the world shows up that hasn't been represented before everyone has to tap up a correspondence course to get up to speed.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Seltzer posted:

Irish characters speaking with English accents

I'm just going to nitpick this one example that Harada addressed in a tweet;

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/comments/1031fbt/if_you_ever_wondered_why_the_william_sisters_dont/

... No I don't think that answer makes sense either but hey ho.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

What the thumbnails were spoiling anyway? I heard a lot about those thumbnails but I'm not sure I saw any of them, like maybe there was one that showed a glimpse of Jun's ending?

I definitely stumbled across a Youtube thumbnail with a picture of (post-credits spoilers) Devil Reina early in the week of 22/01/2024.

One of these is a trained spec ops soldier, the other has been asleep for the past couple of years recuperating and avoiding contact with anyone and everyone.

Sorry I'm a nerd who cares about story no matter how dumb it is so I spoiler out of habit. :shobon:

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 6, 2024

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

great big cardboard tube posted:

For a quick reference this doc I lifted from a post a couple pages back is pretty invaluable and being updated, all characters have their punishers listed by frames in their own section and you can just do a string in practice to see how - something is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...v/pubhtml?pli=1

:hmmyes:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

My highlight moment of last night's ranked matches was correctly using the sidestep to dodge a Reina attack and then bashing her in the back of the head with an ss1+2. I was so excited I forgot to follow up with a combo and just let it rock.

Alternatively it was when I closed out a round against the same Reina with Kuma's rock n roll circus throw.

Faced my first Jack-8 in ranked and uh, wow he just shits out damage huh? It was neat that he was customised to look like a giant robot Duke Nukem though.

I love Tekken 8.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Shockeh posted:

Is there a Goon FG Discord? I feel sure there was...

I need to programme my brain to use WR3 as Jun, not WR4. I can't help myself, I keep pressing 4, and it gives up so much damage on duckable poo poo.

There is! It is called Goonsgarden and here is the link from the front page of the fighting games thread: https://discord.gg/PXKKpJWFWj

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Nice Van My Man posted:

They're going to bleed people dry for those bikinis. As it should be.

Can't wait for Kuma's bearkini.

I would also like a red panda colour scheme for Panda.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Seltzer posted:

I saw that the other day... I really don't think Feng can be that high, or Reina that low. Reina somewhat makes sense because people are picking up the game and trying to learn tekken with a mishima lol. Also I don't think Victor should be that high. I wonder how early that data is and what the source is.

Also someone made an updated side step guide. This does not cover all the moves of a character, It just shows in general what direction is better against that match up.

Should I be sidestepping to my character's left/right or my opponents left/right?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I will actually read your Shaheen posts when I am awake since I mucked around with him a little and found him fairly intuitive.

As for low chat that I missed my favourite low to end the round on is Kuma's Break'n. Salmon Hunting has the range and the power but there's nothing like watching a srs bsns character stare agape as this bear breakdance spins into their ankles to secure the round.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Made it to... I think Destroyer rank before I called it a night. Still climbing but bumping into Garyu and Shinryu players is a hell of a wake up call, and it's nice to see strategies evolving - for example I was commonly following up a heat engager (usually Kuma's b+1) with his uf+1+2 throw and this worked like a charm, but now people in eliminator and the 'ryus are ducking as standard during a heat engager run so now I need to find a good mid to use when I run into this again. Can't wait to get back in the lab and then take it on online tomorrow. I loving love Tekken. :)

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Jeremor posted:

fuuuuck I suck at this game

Yeah me too I'm a million levels deep in the salt mines and for the sake of people not wanting to read salt I'm going to spoiler it and just scroll by.

I'm 70+ hours in and it's not helpful in a game with a 30+ cast with a move list of 100+ moves each to just be told "hey you can duck that one move" in replay. It's far too specific unless you're analysing one match-up you're having trouble with. What would be more useful is a replay analysis; "you only blocked X amount of lows in that match - try practicing your low block and low parry." Or "You used a lot of moves that were punishable - try using more moves that recover faster or push your opponent away when blocked."

There's such a loving gap between destroyer/eliminator and the -ryu ranks in terms of play that it's a genuine wall. It's gotten to the point where I feel the only moves I can dare to throw out are just one hit safe on block, and maybe a power crush when a loving Reina or Leo or Lili or Dragunov isn't dancing on my face with their bullshit.

I guess the earlier complaint about move lists is irrelevant since I'm not even allowed to have a safe launcher or heaven forbid a string that allows me to launch from a low. Nothing that deals damage is safe, and nothing safe can net any sort of damage. Throw teching feels loving mystifying because half the cast insist on having their arms obscured by trenchcoats or billowy cosmetics. What looks like a low is a mid and vice versa. All this makes it extremely unclear when it is okay for you to take your turn and I end up just not pressing buttons until I inevitably misread a mid for a low, get comboed and bam, dead after two misreads.

I've never been so apoplectically angry at a fighting game that I actually got light-headed and felt I was going to faint Hungrybox style, but congrats Tekken 8 you did it. This game is opaque as gently caress and insurmountable in learning compared to how SF6 was. It's so frustrating and demoralising, and due to factors like not really having any IRL friends or online friends who play Tekken and no scene close by, I have nobody to learn and grow with so it's a lonely as hell experience too. :(

In conclusion Tekken 8 is a fun game that makes me insanely angry because I am trash at it but I can't stop playing.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Jeremor posted:

come on over to the Goonsgarden discord bro, we can be trash together.

I'm already there as DrBrown87. If you look now you can see me having a meltdown about how bad a Kuma player I am! :buddy:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

So thanks for the words of encouragement and advice from everyone who read my tirade. I expected to get dunked on but you showed that FG players are real ones and I really appreciate that. :)

I joined the bears discord and saw J-Katz put out a new bears guide and there's a lot I've been doing wrong like my reliance on qcf2,2 and b1+2,1+2 in hunting bear stance - they were working but only because people I was playing didn't know the match-up. I'm going to take some time to work on my game plan in practice and take what I've learnt into player matches where there's nothing at stake (not even pointless internet numbers!), then take a few days off when Ed comes out this week in SF6.

Urethane posted:

i realize you are salty but you really shouldn't be playing one of the bears if these are your complaints. pick a character that addresses some of these issues and that you can play in a safer style

Honestly I will do at some point. I know how I play FGs and I focus on one character until I burn myself out and go pick up someone else - with SF6 I hit a brick wall at D1 with Blanka and dropped him for Rashid for a while and only just went back to him. I do like the playstyle of the bears with baiting out whiff punishes and capitalising on it for big damage and my reliance on qcf2,2 at least shows that I understand using their long arms to safely jab away from a distance. Right now when I do try to go into practice with another character I get about five minutes in before deciding I'd rather work on my bear gameplay.

I think what didn't help was - without going in to too much detail - yesterday was not a great day in my personal life and then I got stomped on in ranked by skilled players and characters I hadn't fought before like Raven, Lee, Zafina so I was playing badly anyway. That's definitely on me for going in to a session feeling toxic and approaching a fight I didn't know with the wrong mindset and I stopped before it got worse but not before I splurged here to blow off steam.

Plus bears are my favourite animal and it's funny to watch super serious martial arts people getting beaten up by a bear that knows karate. :)

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Claudio visually feels like a Final Fantasy character dropped into Tekken and I'm totally on board for it. He's cool as gently caress.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

It's also about unrequited love. See: Xiaoyu and Jin, Jun and Kazuya, Kuma and Panda Ganryu and Julia, Paul/Law and money...

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

How do you deal with Law/ Hworang as Jack? I try to stay out of range but that doesn't work against men with lightning for legs.

The speed is an issue, and I feel I just need to get better at knowledge check of their mid/ low/ low/ mid mixup poo poo

Paul seems to be a monster in 8, at least where I am learning Jack. Does he get better versions of Death Fist in Heat? It seems to come out so fast.

Idk what rank you are but you play a big gorilla mode character like me and when I go against Law/Hwoarang my go-to strat is to abuse the gently caress out of power crush to steal my turn and get a combo while
abusing long-range mids and lows to keep them out as much as possible. It's an uphill battle though for sure as they both have a nasty pressure game - I wouldn't say I'm consistent against them yet.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Thanks for this! That's pretty much what I am doing. I find Jack's dfw24 is an excellent good range sweeping low that gently caress people up. I try to abuse grabs on them too, and when I corner them I go for broke with pressure.

Have you found a remedy to Steve? I find him to be one if the hardest knowledge checks for me, I seem him a lit, but he has like 4 stances that look the same and then he needs like 4 hits to ruin your day.

Seems you and I are on the same wavelength. Bear has a nasty db2+3 that deals enormous damage but more importantly has range so it can be sometimes safe. Also any string you have that ends in a surprise low is great to keep them honest. For me that's 2,1,3 but I haven't touched Jack except to make an Abraham Lincoln costume for him. As for Steve unfortunately I've fought one Steve and he beat my arse so no help there but if you come up with something I'd love to hear it.

poe meater posted:

Nothing wrong with learning Bears as your first character. They can be played in a clean and non-gimmicky way if you like.

It going to be tougher at first but sounds like you got the right idea in regards to whiff punishing. Bears are great and even more fun to play in T8.

Thanks - I'm just having a lot of fun with bears when I'm not in a toxic mindset of chasing internet points to compensate for rock bottom self esteem! I do have my eye on a couple of other characters like Alisa, Claudio, Raven, who I want to pick up at a later date but for now I'm happy with the uphill struggle.

E: that post ended a bit cringe so here's a touch of death* combo with Kuma; https://twitter.com/Magishinobi/status/1761662394164724119

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 26, 2024

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Artelier posted:

Took a break for a few days but back with Day 7 of practicing Electrics. Hit quite a bit of them in training, and spent more time than usual playing ranked and trying to hit them. About half of them were Electrics, but right now using them in places where I don't mind if the regular uppercut comes out.

Speaking of ranked, is it normal to fight people like, way outside your rank? Like I fought a Mighty Ruler; took a couple of rounds over the two matches but basically got smoked, which is to be expected, but uh...based on my +-3 ranking limits, I don't think I should be encountering them when I'm still a Warrior right?

I don't really mind playing people much better than me but the whole point I was trying it out in ranked and keeping it to a relatively tight ranking gap was so that I could practice how to hit electrics more consistently in real match settings while fighting people more or less around my skill level.

There are two options for ranked search when looking for a ranked opponent: only +/- 2 rank difference and prefer +/- 3 rank difference. The latter is the default and it sometimes uses the term "prefer" very liberally as yes I too have been tossed against a battle ruler as a mere vanquisher which I believe is around a 7 rank difference. Swap to the former and you might have to wait longer for a match but you won't get wild outliers.

The fact that I went 2-3 rounds with a battle ruler Dragunov as a vanquisher Kuma before we both left it at one match (it was quite a jittery match, lots of frame drops, I suspect poor PC settings on their behalf) felt quite good but coming from SF6 where it's like, 1-2 star rank difference at the most was a little jarring to say the least!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Re: pluggers/quitters/one-and-done players - I haven't had a plug pulled on me or a ragequit yet but it's not unique to ranked, as I went into Tekken lounge to do some unranked matches and the majority of those were one and done affairs. I've heard a lot of people view the character I play, Kuma, as a "joke" character and I can't help but wonder if people just don't want to play against a martial arts practising bear in their serious fighting game where a woman with THE DEVIL in her arm can fight against a French super spy with a teleporter and a katana or a luchador in a jaguar mask that speaks solely in cat growls and everyone understands him just fine.

What surprised me was how solid the connection was in the WiFi matches. I'd still never play against a WiFi player in ranked (and reading what people are saying about PC issues I'll consider ducking those on the reg) but I had no lag and no stuttering last night which was cool. :)

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Basticle posted:

One and doneing is not limited to any one character or matchup

Where did I explicitly say it was? Weird take my dude.

E: on re-read I wasn't entirely clear so I'll clarify - one and done's happen, pluggers happen, ragequits happen. I've only experienced the former. I have been told by other Tekken players who have been playing Tekken longer than me that people in general don't like fighting the bears, and I tried to poke fun at this by speculating that the bears are considered joke or troll characters in a game that isn't afraid to poke fun at itself with absurd characters. That's my experience. That's not me saying that pluggers/one and done's/ragequits don't happen to anyone else playing any other character, I'm sure everyone experiences the above regardless of who they play as.

For actual Tekken discussion - is there a general guide or advice on sidestepping and when/where to use it? Coming from a 2D fighter background I'm not very adept at using the 3D space to my advantage both on offense and defense so a primer would be really useful for that. :)

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 6, 2024

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Extra Large Marge posted:

Asuka players: What's up with this icon under the health bar? Some characters seem to have this now.

I looked it up and found a bunch of snarky comments online reading "SOMEONE DIDN'T READ THE PATCH NOTES!!!!!1"

So I read the patch notes and found the following:

"An icon has been added below the health gauge to indicate whether the Naniwa Gusto has been activated or not"

What the hell is Naniwa Gusto? Sounds important.

It's character dependant. So the icon in this case says when Claudio has his Starburst buff so he can use his starburst abilities, because otherwise you can only tell by looking at his hand. I think Leroy has one if his one-use cane is available, and I'm pretty sure Bryan has one for when he has his Snake Eyes buff. I've seen Leo has one but hosed if I know what it means for Leo.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Weasling Weasel posted:

Due to mental health stuff, I took a few weeks away from games, and have come back this weekend to give it a go.

I decided to pick Steve up (Despite knowing he is beginner friendly OR particularly strong in 8, but I like the achetype) and watched 3 or 4 guides to get some basic ideas. At pre-green ranks I'm at around 20% WR currently (though I'm ok with allowing that, knowing that I have no tekken knowledge or cheese to rely on, so I'm happy I'm going to get battered for a bit), but I want to take baby steps to try and improve and learn fundamental skills. I've got a few things written down to try to work on, but at the moment there's too much overload to try and get it all at once and I have difficulty setting myself small achievable goals. I'm happy to just throw games for a few weeks to practice key skills, and have a list of things that that I could spend time on, but I was wondering if anyone could give me pointers on what either the most practical or enjoyable step I should take to learn 8 and Steve.

Is it better to simply just practice movement and concentrating on sidestepping, getting distance, and just trying to land jab strings all game and whiff punishing with 1+2 or blocking up and trying to read opponents moves and doing simple punishes at super low levels? I feel like I'm getting hit a lot by not just pressing a button too early or just opponents spamming lows a lot, and my brain hasn't learn the buttons well enough to not flow into panic spam, so I'd rather pick one tactic even if it isn't well rounded, and try to practive that element of the game.

His 10/11f punisher is 1,1,2, but has to duck cancel to be safe, and his 12f is either 2, 2 for a simple combo or 2, 1 and either back to go into peakaboo into flicker. Would it be better to just stick to 10f for everything and try to practice duck cancels until safe, or would it be better to practice a simple punish game, or using 2,1 and trying to use a flicker or peakaboo options? I'm not at the stage where my game knowledge is good enough to idenfity what punish fits what move (or even if an enemy is positive), but feel like trying to learn all of that at once is a bit much for one session at a go.

Is there anything I can simply do when ever he get's into Lionheart to avoid just taking a big punish, or is training my brain to go ub3 and 1 or 2 to try and counter hit a simpler response to program whenever he switches into LH?

You're in luck, some tech was recently unearthed that allows Steve to transition very quickly from Lionheart to Peekaboo so he's not getting smashed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DWYUPzOKZw

E: Sorry I don't know a thing about Steve other than this came out and some Steve players were excited about it.

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Seltzer posted:

If someone has like double your tekken power and is at your rank, they will generally kick your rear end.

Hey they want to kick my rear end it better be a counterhit.

https://i.imgur.com/yDjajM4.gifv