Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I'm playing too many games. But adding a FG never hurts.
I never played Tekken seriously but this is a golden age for FGs, I might as well try and learn some fundamental.

So I've futzed around in training and ended up choosing Lili. Solid hits and good mobility.
Too bad there's so few customization options for ladies, I wanted to give her a proper gi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Char
Jan 5, 2013
That's why I fell into Lili as well I guess.

Still, it seems to me her meaningful moves have a long startup, but I know nothing about Tekken so what do I know

Char
Jan 5, 2013
ok so why am I getting thrashed by all the hwoarangs and reinas I find at green ranks
it feels like they can keep attacking without risking anything

edit: as soon as I rant, I get two wins where I pretty much do the same as lili, but with opponents knocked down, doing snake edges and flips on their heads

Edit2: Paul intro where he's doing wheelies. drat

Char fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 5, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Khizan posted:

Would not surprise me at all if that's what actually happened. I can easily see them translating original language to Japanese for the subtitles and then doing the English subtitles from the Japanese ones.

Claudio speaks perfect Jojo Italian.
The VA is great, the lines are nonsense

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Perfects mean nothing
Yeah I did one perfect :cool:

in this set I lost 1-3 0-3, 0-3 2-3
it was the first round

Char
Jan 5, 2013
A week after I started playing: I'm used to not exactly knowing what I should be working on in fgs, but in Tekken the learning process is completely different. I haven't metabolized much.
It feels like every character is incredibly slow, moves don't flow into each other and there's no intuitive trick to know which button makes sense to push during neutral.
Except Lili, somehow her moves seems to flow much better than anyone else's :confused: others, like Leroy, feel very sluggish.

edit: also, the weird thing is that I should learn some kind of juggle combo to capitalize on counterhits, but it's incredibly hard to intentionally connect a counterhit. So I'm pretty much never able to practice juggle combos in real matches

I guess it's a matter of intuitiveness of the genre + the intuitiveness of this specific game, but having a list of "notable moves" feels completely useless because I cannot intuitively get when I should use them, keepaway buttons are often too slow to start and fast buttons seem to not usable to set up anything meaningful.

Char fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 10, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Seltzer posted:

Maybe this isnt the most comforting advice but Tekken is tekken and kinda has its own rules and logic. When I started playing fgs a few years back it wasnt too hard to transfer skills from Garou to Samsho to SF6 etc but only some of that logic and skill transfers to tekken. The good news is that once you start getting tekken it has a very coherent and logical system and youll soon enough find yourself adjusting combos on the fly given range and wall distance etc, and having a feel when to pressure or when to wait. Its imo harder to learn but more consistent and fair when you do.

e- also its still early days. When I started it took me at least a month ish to get used to the rhythms of the game and about 3 months to get all the basic concepts down and more timeto get to the point where I got a level of mastery over a main. Its a process. The good thing is tekken rules. I started a year in so ranked was more fair, its just a log jam rn. I only started ranked with feng 2 days ago and am in mid yellows now but theres probably a lot of people like me taking their time to dip their feet in ranked and trialing different characters.

I can respect the fact Tekken operates under a different logic, but I'd like to understand, for instance, when and/or why I should be using Lili's df+3, which seems to be one of her best moves, as I usually get stuffed when I attempt using it.

I mean, a google doc document with a collection of generic information is still way beyond my understanding. And playing at my green rank level against similar skill opponents means alternating 1,1,2 one against the other without hitting consistently nor building anything off these strings. The third time my string gets blocked I'll hit with a low kick that resets us both into neutral.

I'm finding it hard to develop any intent, and I don't know how someone could start developing any kind of intent. That's the issue I'm having.
Well I could be trying to alternate hitting 1 and d+3 but that doesn't feel "playing"...

Char fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 10, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I noticed it has an unusually slow startup: reading "this move is important and one of her best", given this frame data and properties, feels contradictory. At the level of play I'm at I cannot picture in my mind how such a slow move could connect, let alone CH: at the level I'm at I can trade 1,2s with low kicks and that's it. I'm getting I have to ignore these cheat sheets because I'm unable to draw meaningful information.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding stubbornly antagonistic, it's the feeling that the outer shell of this game is impenetrable and the lack of documentation helping me deconstruct what I should be working on that's making me rant.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

How did you find out the move was important? What is the move for? How does it work into her gameplan?

Reading
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CG-ZUE6EqqQk7QSfc1feddeS8411f8t38EMFQ1Le9Cc/edit
and
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTsgbCJNSTKajMNlJvQleJOl0eTiEcV-PbeU0obDg1lsSqmz0lTtcD2k6NzfTPt7Db9Ua2dz1o_34Sv/pubhtml
and trying to corroborate through other means like reddit and videos, but I haven't had the time to watch enough material to filter everything.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Lili's strength is her movement. DF3 is slow so you can't just throw it out in neutral, the idea is to step away from the opponent and hit them with it at range hoping for a counterhit. If you're having trouble with that part, get in practice mode until you're comfortable just stepping and evading, then once you're ready start throwing out the DF3 and see what sticks.

I think Lili is a character too hard to "parse" for me right now.
Movement is still something I'm struggling with - I'm not finding it easy to see when a sidestep is the right move.
On the other hand, I tried challenging my understanding of fundamental mechanics.
Again, sorry if I've been a bit antagonistic, but I was feeling like not knowing that you're supposed to put lands in a MTG deck.

I got some time 1 vs 1 with a friend who actually has a grasp of the game, I was proposed to to switch to Asuka so I'd be forced to stop trying fill every single moment of the game with a button, any button, have a lighter mental stack and try to play a more keepaway game.
At least I think I understood something, the "cadence" of Tekken is quite different from the 2d fgs I'm used to. I guess having something akin to a "drill", having to poke and try to frametrap forced me to understand better spacing, movement and the rhythm of trading initiative. I still try to rushdown too much but that's my main flaw in every FG so... well.

Things got better.
Sorry, thread!

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Autsj posted:

So I skimmed a few of your previous posts, I don't know Lili too well so my advice is somewhat generic but maybe it'll help you.

Thanks, I'll try something like this in practice and try to account for the different frame data for Asuka's SS.
I'm self inflicting her for a while because I need a character that has zero incentives in playing rushdown, otherwise I'll autopilot on my own idea of Tekken cadence (and fall right into multiple launchers).

The mental reset I continuosuly need is "am I at max df3 range?".

On the other hand, how the hell do you handle Dragunov, especially on small stages :stare:

Got to assailant so far.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Weasling Weasel posted:

I'm playing Asuka at the moment, and I'm only in Green rank with a 50%ish win rate, so take this with a pinch of salt, but...
I've struggled to do much with Asuka's jab other than use it to frame trap into B3. I don't know if its slower than others jabs, but I definitely am using it way too often to take me turn and getting blitzed when I'm pushing, but blocking forever just lets people chip me down and mix me up into lows. I should probably try and learn a combo or something, because not being able to punish anyone with anything when I do read well isn't a winning strategy, have to get too many guesses in a row right to win a round (or hit the lucky rage art, which also happens a lot at green rank).

Basically, what has worked well for me is B1, DB3 and DB4, F4, and F1+2 for the high and medium crush. I should deffo use the counter stance and D3+4 more. If I land 1, then the frame-trap into B3 works more often that not, but I don't often land the 1 at a distance it can hit from without getting hit back first.

B1 is a knowledge check in my opinion. I'm almost in orange ranks and the following WR3 pretty much always hits.
DB3 is great for psychic damage.
I'm experimenting with 1,2,3 because it's 0-2 on block, but there's a huge delay between 2 and 3, you can be interrupted easily. I don't know what makes it 0 and what makes it -2.

I use a lot her DF2 because it's pretty safe.

My go-to combo when juggling with DF2 / F2 / WR 3 is FF2,3 DB1,4 FF4 FF2,1+2.
Sometimes I can't connect with the last FF2 and I don't yet know how or why.

Other moves I tend to use a lot are DF1 for mid checking, 1+4 for a low hitting string, SS2 and FF1+2 when I have the install.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Weasling Weasel posted:

I've grabbed the two combos from the thread above (Launch into FF2,3 DB1,4 FF4 FF2 1+2 and DB4,3 2,1,2 dd2, 1+2) and I'm going to practice them and just throw a my ranked sessions today just to try and get them out regularly. Good thing about being at green rank is there's no loss penalty, so it feels like free practice.
Like wise, I'll trry the F4 4 and FF1 B4 frametraps on top of the 1 B3 to see if they feel any better and add a bit more variety to the kit. Looks like's a few goons in here who have picked Asuka as beginners so hopefully we can trade notes as we get better.
Only thing can stop me is my unyielding itch to want to try someone new all the time.

If you manage to consistently time the first juggle combo tell me how you're doing it, I can land the final FF2 like once in four attempts, it should be an easy combo therefore if I'm failing it means I'm doing something very wrong.

Anyway I'm liking Asuka as a training character because she forces me to stop trying to rushdown everything, ymmv.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I didn't spend 60$ to spend my time blocking
-sun tzu, probably
Also, from complete Tekken noobs like me, stuff like "yeah the mishima 112 sequence is always launchable" is completely alien because
1) the animation doesn't look like it's like -17 on block for ALL the characters with a "flash something combo", Reina included
2) I understood the importance of the concept of "launcher" like 20-30 hours in
3) I don't know yet the frame properties of all launchers of the characters I play
I'm getting more and more why Tekken is way more knowledge based than the average FG.

Anyway...
I am feeling other characters now, spent some time with Victor and Paul
Stuck with Paul because he seems "Vanilla Moves, The Character", and feels like he's not much different from Asuka, all in all, but can break aggression with more ease through scary damage rather than meticolous gameplan, also I can somehow open up defenses with more ease.

I need to start believing in my CH qcf3...

also: gently caress Dragunov's low hand slash in particular

Char fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 18, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Just push down forward as paul to knock down anyone trying to land a predictable low on you

I get Snake edges are predictable.
But I can't yet parry one even when I see it coming...

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I've ran some sets with a good Paul player (in 7, he just got 8) and...
drat I've been playing this guy wrong, very very wrong.

Why is the ham dude with ham bicep rip animation, doing ham wheelies and sporting the iconic ham punch... a poke based character?
Is it me or the Tekken aesthetics kinda fail to deliver how the character's actually supposed to play?

Anyway, great teaching, an unbreakable dam which would punish me for every wrong attempt at offense, very atypical situations compared to my normal orange matches where it's blow up or be blown up, we reached time out a couple of times. I got one launcher in 25 matches (and some more I didn't believe in), I was shown me how much it pays to play way back compared to my in-your-grill usual positioning.

Char fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 21, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Jeremor posted:

Finally starting to understand Paul a bit deeper and I love how dumb he can be while also being really fundamental. Death fist rules, demoman rules, he's got a lot of great stuff. There's never an excuse for getting my rear end kicked, it's always something I did poorly. I've only been fighting ghosts so far, might try some ranked soon.

For me it's often too little b+1,2, df+1, and getting distances of his many pokes wrong.
I've whiffed f+4 a lot of times while thinking it would hit.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Urethane posted:

One useful document that was circulating in the tekken 7 days was a big list of each characters top 10 (maybe 15) moves and why they were good. The tekken library spreadsheet is nice but doesn't comment on the moves too much.

A huge upgrade would be having on hit/block frame data for all these moves.
Okay this df2 is "good and safe". What makes it good and safe?

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Played a bit as Claudio this weekend, I'm terrible, I've been blown up by a Lili alternating her low-high hand attack (dunno which move is it, seems like a d1,2) and her mid instant attack, me blocking sometimes, and never punishing because I didn't know what else to do other than 1,2.

This game is an endless knowledge check and being aware I am getting read like an open book feels bad.

On the other hand I've blown up people who don't respect wr2 and wr4 and punished with SRB 4,2 which is always very cool.
Claudio is cool. I wasn't really into his aesthetic but I'm starting to warm up to him.

Char fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 26, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Claudio is a JoJo part 5 character pretty much

Down to the ARRIVEDERCI in his Rage Art
I'm Italian and all he spouts is nonsense

But on a serious note, he has fewer gimmicks than the rest of the cast, he has poor lows, he has few frametraps, and he forces me to learn how to sidestep to use his SS4.
I'm finding him a great character if you want to learn Honest Tekken, moreso than Paul and Asuka who I've tried so far

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Urethane posted:

It's all good, you're actually doing great for being new!
I hope you get something out of this, happy to help on the goon discord as well. I'm not good by any stretch of the imagination, but I hope this unlocks something for you. Hopefully some actual Hwo players can give you tips.

Great post, I'm in the process of learning and all this hits home.

sephiRoth IRA, I'd like to reiterate on two specific things that I've found accelerated my learning of this game.

First, regarding frame data: I don't know how familiar you are with the concept of frame data in FGs, but in Tekken specifically there's a couple things you need to be mindful of.
The interesting range of frame data regards everything that goes from 10 to 16 frames of startup. Hoping that the design of other FGs could help me, I just assumed that if a move looks fast, it's fast, like a light kick in Street Fighter.

Don't use this assumption! Tekken doesn't work that way. Still, there is a proper power budgeting between damage, frame data, capability to hit, leaving the opponent in juggle state...

If you look https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTsgbCJNSTKajMNlJvQleJOl0eTiEcV-PbeU0obDg1lsSqmz0lTtcD2k6NzfTPt7Db9Ua2dz1o_34Sv/pubhtml, you'll notice every character has a punish table with startup frames for every move.
If you want to approach the game analytically, you can try blocking everything you can block and try punishing with what's on that table - as Urethane said, experimenting by testing different startups.
As I said, there's power budgeting in moves, so a 10 frames punish is not going -usually- to offer the same opportunities as a 14f one.

First corollary to this is knowing how much you're risking when you're firing off a move or sequence and it gets blocked; measuring this risk is very easy, you need to know what moves are less than -10 on block, -11, -12, and so on, upwards to -16 or worse. Less than -10 means you can safely start blocking, anything above -11 won't guarantee your safety if you try going in neutral block.
Second corollary to this is that you can "trap" an enemy by spamming jabs. Imagine your jab is +1 on block: you can continuously wail on your 1 and they'll never get their turn back (and will start ducking or sidestepping).
If what I've said sounds like gibberish, feel free to ask.

Second, you need to judge better your ranges. I'm personally finding this harder than expected despite getting to the 100hours mark on T8, so I totally get why it happens.
The point is, whiff punishing is part of the game and it happens whenever the opponent manages to keep their exact distance obfuscated from you.
But you should never miss *because you misjudged static distances*. Watching replays, you should be able to spot these mistakes.

Other than that, Tekken is hard. Follow the suggestions Urethane proposed, they'll help you give meaning and purpose to your actions.

Char fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 4, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I feel like "Knowing one move" in Tekken is way more information than "knowing one move" in SF. Yeah you need to know less than 20 per character, to reliably perform, but the interactions of any single move are more complex.

That being said, answering the original question, if you don't want to commit and learn a FG, Tekken is better, you can have fun without being constricted by the rigidness of the input system.
If you want to commit, pick your poison: tight execution or vast amounts knowledge to accrue.
(Both options have the other strain of poison in their mix.)

I think SF6 is the best designed game overall (taking artistic direction into account, too), but the more I play T8 the more I want to keep learning.

edit: ^^ yeah agree on everything. The tone, especially: SF6 is all "let's have fun", T8 is "angry punch kings and queens"

Char fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 6, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013
After 110 hours I still have to find a main
smh

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I've spent some time with Leo. A real scrub killer within the realm of orange ranks.
It kinda feels cheap to fakeout f+4 into 4 | 3+4 | 3,4 | 1,2 but they ALWAYS fall for it.

And I don't know yet any launcher combos, I usually try to connect f,f+2 and that's it.

Char fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 12, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Almost got to red ranks.
And I'm getting gatekept by other red ranks :(

I'm noticing I can't move as well as other players do, I have to think about how I'm moving which kills all momentum; also my coach/buddy yells at me because I don't poke enough, and I'm ":???: dude what the gently caress do I do after poking? Nothing! How do I leverage advantage when the other plaher will block, get pushed back, backdash and force me to move forward again groan"

I'm finding movement really hard to learn

Char fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 16, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013

OxMan posted:

One of the ways to get used to incorporating ss as a counter to endless blocking and poking is to pick your safest on block short string and practice just ssr and hold it to walk a sec after the string is blocked. When you feel a tug of war coming, do the string and ssr, if they try to autopilot retort theyll whiff and you'll be to their side/behind. If you have a safe ss attack or string, use it too and theyll stop poking to stop getting hit by it becoming ripe for walk/dash up throws.

I'm not memorizing when I can SS, I've tried to play some matches doing my -4 on block string and sidestepping, I was getting constantly hit.

I'm not managing to learn how to play, this is getting detrimental to my enjoyment of the game.
edit: thinking back, the worst issue in my playing is probably going too much for preemptive attacks because that's what feels natural. But this is not SF

Char fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 17, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I tried recording some games, I didn't notice I was not starting the stream on YT so these were the three last matches in a 10 loss streak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSqzsU5ZcjU
I feel like I was prett ymuch on tilt here, but here goes nothing

disclaimer, I don't know what to do wrt launchers or wall with Leo because I wanted to learn movement and rhythm first, blowing up an enemy too early prevents me to learn how to handle neutral imho.

the first, agaisnt Jin, I felt I could't get into my comfortable range and whenever they took the initiative, they were. I tried punishing stuff but I couldn't.
My gameplan amounted to pretty much nothing

the second, against Yoshimitsu, I feel I got knowledge checked a bit too much but I ate too many rage arts when they were the obvious thing to do.

the third, against King, I tried to apply pressure but I don't really know what consists in "pressure", I whiffed a lot when I shouldn't, I found decent rhythm in one round but in the end I didn't manage to comfortably handle the neutral.

the only thing that consistently worked was db4,1 - I get that I should perhaps abuse what's working but it feels wrong to play one single move constantly.
you'll see me sometimes miss a f,f2 on downed opponents - I'd like an explaination on why sometimes it hits and why it sometimes doesn't...
also, you'll notice I sometimes whiff stuff at very close ranges. that's when I try to do something preemptively, trying to create a hitbox where I think the opponent will be next. this is something I'm carrying from anime fighters and I think it's doing me way more harm than good

Char fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 17, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Ok I learned one launcher combo, it works with the launchers I use the most (deliberately setting up a CH is way beyond my ability right now) .
Backdashing takes a huge toll on my mental stack though, it feels sluggish and I need to shake the instinctive thought it will hurt me, because I'm putting myself very close to the wall.

well practice will make perfect...

Char fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 17, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I tend to prefer playing against real humans but I'll try.

Now what's happening is that I'm backdashing, probably, too much: opponents do too, we end up being very far... and then I stand there thinking "wtf do I do now, perhaps I could start approaching again?".
The last King I played simply ran and dropkicked me as much as he could; am I correct in assuming that most wr moves are plus on block?

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks for all your support.

I understand I have to do something with what's hidden behind BOK and qcf.

I ran another bunch of matches, https://youtube.com/live/dsnkS1Z5NrE
06:38 - vs Jin; this Jin was playing kinda... randomly, I respected them too much early on then I felt they had no real fangs

15:23 - vs Paul; this Paul blew me up. I'm having issues predicting Paul's real range, it has already happened in other matches

22:13 - vs Lili; this Lili played a bit too slow IMHO, I started to see the holes in their offense towards the end. I let meyself get attacked a lot, I ended up in the corner very often, scraped by a 2-1 in the end

33:21 - vs Yoshimitsu; I don't know if I sound ranty but the few times I play against Yoshimitsu, I feel very knowledge checked. Oh well.

39:27 - vs Law; this Law was worse than me. I ended up being a bit of a bully, I got a perfect by abusing db+4,1 and df+1.

46:34 - vs Dragunov; I thought I could, but in the end I didn't.

53:07 - vs Jin; I managed to defeat this Garyu Jin, I guess I was partly carried by the lack of familiarity against Leo? They started to read my patterns in the end and I tried to switch mid-fight (not by much).
If you have to watch anything from my link, please watch this because I feel I managed to play the best in here and still it shows my flaws.

The 3rd round of this final set, starting at 54:28, is embarassing and is what I was talking about when I said I don't want to win with a couple of moves. I understand I lost becaust I didn't know the uppercut hits high (I discovered this, later, in the replay), but this feels like... not playing? Dunno.

Anyway, another thing I noticed while trying to force me to backdash. There's a rhythm to it when I get blocked and I block that makes it less intuitive than it feels. I ended up being locked into block animations that didn't allow me to dash. This needs more practice.
edit: oh, also! You'll notice I sometimes don't react to whiffs. That's because I often believed my dash would not have ended up in a whiff but in a block. This is related to what I said before, sometimes it seems the blocked attack is still too fast to let me backdash out of the next attack.

Also, I've noticed some characters can basically... cancel dashes into dashes? I've played against a Lars (I was watching the replay at the beginning of this video) that kept moving back and forth at far range, waiting for a good moment to enter. Is that character specific or it's something everyone can do? Do different characters have different frame data for backdashes?

Char fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 18, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Artelier posted:

I was idly watching some of the matches while doing work, and I agree with the posters before; your punishes should be accompanied by a combo if at all possible. Especially that Lars sweep; there are so many moments where you hit it, and you could probably do at least some sort of basic thing, but you just let the opponent fall and get back up (sometimes you follow up with a grounded sweep). And you keep going for the sweep, which gets blocked and punished sometimes too.

IIRC Leo's db+4 doesn't do anything on CH.
You mean I should be using the fastest wr I have if I hit with the sweep only?

I learned a combo to do on default launchers (df+2, wr2, KNK 3, hopkick), I was thinking I wanted to prolong the neutral game as much as possible but I guess that promotes a no-respect gameplay from the opponent as they know they can trade freely and end up winning.

edit: I stand corrected. Wavu says

[10] CH db+4
[+55; 34] df+2+3 ws3 b+1,1+2,d BOK.1,2 T! BBP[9]
[+54; 32] df+2+3 ws3 b+1,1+2,d BOK.1,2 T! f+4~df CD.2,4

I don't know what these numbers mean! But the combo is mostly clear. What's a BBP, though? The note says "sidestep right if off axis", I guess I'll do the bottom one lol

edit2:
BBP (Barge Barge Punch/Palm): b+1+2,1+2,qcf+2
why is Tekken notation so weird lol

Char fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 18, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I didn't see any big-looking effect on db+4 CH, so I thought I had no real practical advantage, I was using it as a pseudo-poke to remind them they have to block low, the follow-up 1 is a reminder for monkey brains like me that Bad Things Happen if you get hit by it. I was aware it's like -31 on block, which makes it a move that shouldn't be used as a poke, but it seemed to me its range was better than other alternatives.
In some of my matches you'll notice I was using db+4 then df+1 to stop flowchart aggressions.

I also started noticing that d+4 actually seems to hit longer than it looks like (and this is something I'm having a bit of an issue with) so it would be a safer option compared to db+4, and...
---checks wavu---
it doesn't offer anything on CH, unlike db+4. But looking at all the low-hitting options, it seems to me the most usable outside of edge cases are d+4 and db+4

Okay, I've got something else to put in the notebook.
Use d+4 as the conditioning tool, land some mids, and stick a combo after if I get a feel for a CH db+4.

Char fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 18, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Autsj posted:

Leo's db4,1 is a hellsweep, don't use that without the 1 as a poke hoping for a ch (it's only good for that on very specific reads/situations). It's a chunk of damage plus a knockdown to switch around the momentum; use it as such because it is also a stagger low that will kill you if it is blocked. Use d4 and cqf1 for the poking.

Edit: you posted while I was typing, seems like you are aware of the bits, but yeah do reorient yourself on that move. You don't db4, df1 to make people maybe duck, you db4,1 for momentum and make people panic.

Edit again: forgot about df2+3, also good poke, kinda really mean.

Yeah, I edited to reword better what I had in mind.
Isn't df+2+3 super short range though? I might be wrong, I never use it and I don't really remember its attack animation.
But frame data and CH options look very interesting, yeah...

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

How many Leo matches from other players have you watched? I've never in my life seen a leo just db+4 and stop, it's meant to be followed by the 1. This is the sort of thing that's easier to figure out by watching how people generally play the character, if you're just labbing and experimenting by yourself without studying real matches it's going to take you weeks just to figure out what all the moves are good for, and you're gonna get a lot of it wrong. Sometimes I'll put on a youtube playlist of other matches with my character and if I see something interesting or clever I'll timestamp it and come back to it later to try labbing it.

Very few. I don't really have that much time to play, so I end up spending more time playing matches rather than labbing against specific setups.

I must also admit that only recently I managed to parse what I'm seeing in a video, I have zero Tekken experience (except the usual "Hey I used to play Tekken! Tekken 3!") and connecting what you see in a match to the toolset of a character is harder to what I'm used to see in 2d fighters.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
This is where I discover that, on a standing Kazuya in practice, Leo's d+4 hits from a whopping 2.60.
Should I mention the fact that db+4 doesn't even come close to hitting from such a distance?

edit: won't reup the thread but I've won rounds out of d+4 poking.
df+2+3, instead, is very hard to use, on the other hand. A 21 frames startup move is hard to use in this brave world of orange rank, high apm dragunovs and jins

Char fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 18, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I finally got to red ranks.
Thanks everyone for your earlier support.

Now I'm trying to learn how to consistently set up a wall situation.

Leo is fun. You always have something to sneak into the opponents' mental stack.
My first attempts are trying to setup a wall splat, then b+1,4 KNK3, 4 into b+1+2,1+2,1+2
Is this good enough or should I test something different?

Char fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 31, 2024

Char
Jan 5, 2013
One day you get close to Shiryu
the next day you barely save yourself from getting back into Destroyer

This goddamn game. It makes me feel I'm stealing all of my wins.
Which is probably true

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Well, without a rank reference, my session today has been a 8 loss streak :v:
On the other hand I think I slept like 5 hourse today so that might be related

I didn't track my winrate much but I've yet to break 40%.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I.. tried Azucena.
I don't know why I played this long without trying her.
drat. She's fun. Even without abusing her wr3,2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Umbreon, I went through that frustration phase too, check my earlier posts!
I found there's less skill transfer from 2d fgs to Tekken and my noob phase isn't over yet, but at least I was taught how to start engaging with the game.

Post your matches, there's a lot of support in this thread.

I ended up taking Azucena to red ranks, now I'm considering attempting the same with characters that usually destroy me because I can't parse their playstyle through labbing alone.
Law and Lars up next, probably.

Char fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 17, 2024