Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Looks like Chipotle is doing Tekken 8 currency now if you want burritos and skrilla

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I want to hop online just to mop up the few trophies I’m missing for Platinum but I’m also restricted to wifi and people get a huge stick up their rear end about that so it’s kind of been deterring me from doing it. I know I shouldn’t care at all and I have stuff like voice chat and messages from strangers disabled but I hate knowing that I’m being frowned at for daring to play online by whoever

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This is what I mean. I feel actively discouraged from playing because of it. Like I’m an rear end in a top hat for playing video games without a wired connection so people will either a) not match with me or b) match with me and then complain about it.

I personally feel it’s kinda silly to be so picky about it given that it’s a video game and use of Wi-Fi on consoles is super common. Obviously it’s your own prerogative to decline matches based on it, but this is the kind of thing that gives me anxiety about using stuff like the lounge or joining player sessions.

It’s a shame because I really like playing fighting games but I feel the larger community is kinda hostile, so I will usually only do it with friends.

I do want that platinum trophy though.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Seltzer posted:

It's not silly. Wifi sucks for fighting games. Either don't care about what people think (they see your connection pre match so why would you?) Or buy a dirt cheap cable off Amazon and run it to your machine. Both solutions are very simple

I’d absolutely do the latter except that’s not feasible in my current living space, which I share with other people. Wiring from the room the internet comes from into mine would stick out like a sore thumb. I’m not doing that just for a handful of fighting games that I play on occasion.

Like I’m not doing it out of ignorance or stubbornness, I just literally have to utilize wifi. Me and my friends across the globe never have issues playing like this, but it means dick all to random strangers who see the Wi-Fi symbol.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Basticle posted:

why do you care what people who aren't going to accept the match anyways think

Some of the trophies require using the battle lounge or doing a room. Both of these features have chat. I don’t want to have to deal with someone getting salty over it.

Never mind, this has just reinforced my opinion that I should only play these types of games with friends only. Fighting game enthusiasts love to harp on about welcoming fresh blood, but I get the exact opposite impression.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I feel like this is the only genre where people get elitist over whether you’re using a wire or not. If you’re gonna play people across the world, it’s stupid to expect more than half of them to be plugging their machine directly into a wired connection, especially if it’s a popular game on consoles, which is most major fighters. Wi-Fi is an extremely common setup, and more often than not these days it’s completely usable. This isn’t the mid 2000s. But go off I guess, that trauma seems like it runs deep for people.

Enjoy your video games folks. They’re not that serious.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sorry thread, I was a few beers deep and it turns out I probably have some social anxiety about playing online with strangers. Yikes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I really like this one too, although I can see how the Rage stuff encouraging more aggressive play kinda takes away from the more deliberate feel of Tekken. I’m probably not at a high enough level that I’d really notice the redundancy though. Having it be kind of a one and done on any given round feels like a fair enough way of keeping it from getting out of control, but I can see how it can also devolve into “wait for each other to cash out the meter so we can get back to playing normally”.

Still, it’s scratching the itch and the game looks and sounds wonderful and feels good to play.

I will say though it kinda reminds me of how Soul Calibur kept piling on new systems that I felt detracted from why I liked the first two games so much. Hope Tekken doesn’t trend too far in that direction.